Developer discontent with PS3 tools.

WhipSmartBanky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
http://game-science.com/news/001249.php

The latest issue of Japanese economy magazine, Weekly Diamond, reveals that developers are unhappy with the state of PS3 development tools, and software is likely to be late in coming for the hardware. The article states that PS3 dev tools have only just started shipping to developers this month, while 360 tools were shipped last summer. Furthermore, SCE has not yet announced the price of the console, so developers are unable to predict what audience they are targetting games at. President of Enterbrain, Hirokazu Hamamura, says "We are unlikely to see games exhibiting a level only PS3 can achieve until the end of 2007."
Interesting.

[quote name='Quackzilla']And?

Who here is seriously not going to wait for a price drop to buy a next generation console?[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Anyone who can buy a 360 AND PS3 on launch day has no business on a site called 'Cheap Ass Gamer'.

Ive seen some 360 Launch games and they are not impressive at all. And thats with great development tools that went out to developers last summer. And what does that mean? Absolutely nothing!

Buy the hardware early, pack up 5-10 games at launch, sit back and wait for everything to drop.

No need to go cheap on hardware, you have 5 years to go cheap on games.

This sounds suspiciously like the grumbling developers from the year prior to the PS2 launch. They'll get over it, in time.

Since I'm already invested in a 360, if this means more games for that from Japan, then all the better.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Buy the hardware early, pack up 5-10 games at launch, sit back and wait for everything to drop.

No need to go cheap on hardware, you have 5 years to go cheap on games.[/QUOTE]
$700-$1,300 is a lot to spend on video games in one day.

[quote name='argyle']WTF does that mean?[/QUOTE]

If it's really expensive, then only hardcore gamers will buy it at launch. If it's reasonably priced, then mainstream buyers will be more likely to buy it as well. The developers want to know what type of gamers will be buying it so they'll know whether to make games that hardcore gamers typically like (such as RPGs) or games to which casual gamers are inclined.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']If it's really expensive, then only hardcore games will buy it at launch. If it's reasonably priced, then mainstream buyers will be more likely to buy it as well. The developers want to know what type of gamers will be buying it so they'll know whether to make games that hardcore games typically like (such as RPGs) or games to which casual gamers are inclined.[/QUOTE]

I see what you’re saying, but it still doesn’t make sense to why they are confused to what to make. Every launch to date has had games across the board from puzzle games, to shooters, sports, everything. They want to grab all the avenues of the market and provide something for them. That didn’t stop them from making fantavison (the weird fireworks game...) for the ps2 on launch even though the console was considered to be pricey.

Being that the Ps3 price is still a mystery, I don’t think that factors as much as they are making it out to be. Why would a non-gamer buy a console? Maybe you can pull a few random reasons why, but generally they will not. I think that why would want to sculpt their lineup to capture a wide selection of GAMERS. For Sony is predicted to be the 3rd console down the line and will have lost quite a few potential customers to two other consoles (Minus fanboys/girls).

Games no matter what the genre or difficulty are the same price. SO I don’t see how this comes into effect. Barbie’s carrot mishap will cost the same as Metal gear solid 9, same as now shrek 2 and metal gear solid 2 where both $50 brand new.

I think everyone is shittin a brick over Sony not being one of the first ones out of the gate in this console race. I think people want a doomsday report of how sony will follow sega... these reporters are getting desperate, But time will tell.

There are budget games that launch 20-30. Phantom Dust being the best recent one. Hell with the ebgames 20 mail in rebate it was free. Plus it was a great game.

Anyway. I know someone who's buying a 360, partly because I told him i'm getting PDZ to play over there. Works out great. Plus saves me buckets of cash until a price drop. I have keys to his house so it all works out.

pimpinc333 what kind of rich bastard are you. $700-$1,300 not a lot of money. For a lot of people thats equal or over a months pay. I know it is for me. Look at the name of the site and tone down it down.

[quote name='Quackzilla']$700-$1,300 is a lot to spend on video games in one day.[/QUOTE]

Not for the X-Box fanboys.

[quote name='j.elles']There are budget games that launch 20-30. Phantom Dust being the best recent one. Hell with the ebgames 20 mail in rebate it was free. Plus it was a great game.

Anyway. I know someone who's buying a 360, partly because I told him i'm getting PDZ to play over there. Works out great. Plus saves me buckets of cash until a price drop. I have keys to his house so it all works out.

pimpinc333 what kind of rich bastard are you. $700-$1,300 not a lot of money. For a lot of people thats equal or over a months pay. I know it is for me. Look at the name of the site and tone down it down.[/QUOTE]
I agree, it's a lot of money in one swift purchase.
But, unless you work at McDonalds and get minimum wage, 1,300 dollars IS NOT a months pay.
That is all.

[quote name='Puffa469']Agreed. Anyone who can buy a 360 AND PS3 on launch day has no business on a site called 'Cheap Ass Gamer'.

Ive seen some 360 Launch games and they are not impressive at all. And thats with great development tools that went out to developers last summer. And what does that mean? Absolutely nothing![/QUOTE]
I'll probably get a 360 in December/January when a couple of games I want are out. I might wait for the 1st price drop for PS3, depending on what games are available.

If that were the requirement for truly being cheap, we'd all just have Dreamcasts, since its a quality console with quality games for extremely little money. Besides, there are ways of getting a 360 on launch day much cheaper than the MSRP, a lot of people have been accumulating credit through tradeins for a while now.

No shit 360 dev kits were out last summer, the thing ships less than a month after this article was posted. Odds are we're still looking at a year for PS3, unless you think Sony will be able to pull a decent launch out of their asses in 6 months.

[quote name='Puffa469']Agreed. Anyone who can buy a 360 AND PS3 on launch day has no business on a site called 'Cheap Ass Gamer'.

Ive seen some 360 Launch games and they are not impressive at all. And thats with great development tools that went out to developers last summer. And what does that mean? Absolutely nothing![/QUOTE]

i usually buy consoles the first day they come out if im really interested in getting one. i have been a CAG for a long time now. just because i could afford buying expensive games doesnt mean i dont wanna save money.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Sure, for people without jobs :)[/QUOTE]

uhhh.. still is a lot of money. I'm sure most people here CAN buy that much worth of games, its really a matter of "is it worth that much to me". I know I could buy a system and 5 games for that much, but no way I can justify $700 being dropped in one day on video games.

If you are so "rich" and have a job, why are you on CHEAPassgamer anyway?

[quote name='pimpinc333']Sure, for people without jobs :)[/QUOTE]

What about the people with jobs who have to pay for things like college?

Hmm, speaking of which, I shouldn't have used such a large portion of my student loans on games....

[quote name='dpatel']uhhh.. still is a lot of money. I'm sure most people here CAN buy that much worth of games, its really a matter of "is it worth that much to me". I know I could buy a system and 5 games for that much, but no way I can justify $700 being dropped in one day on video games.

If you are so "rich" and have a job, why are you on CHEAPassgamer anyway?[/QUOTE]

I never knew being poor was a requirment for being a CAGer.

As for the console price and how it targets the audience. I personally don't think hard-core gamers are RPG players. I think you have this wrong. My experience of 10 years retailing is that those who can spend $1k or more on launch day want fast paced action games and RPG's are the last thing they want. To me RPG games are time consuming and having a J.O.B. means I can't spend 100 hours trying to find the missing key to save the girl to get the flower of power to beat the dragon to open the locked chest to get the power amulet ....blah blah blah. I just want to freaking kill shit. Actually it's gun games, sports, and racing games that I think are easily geared to a more expensive market.

[quote name='defender']I never knew being poor was a requirment for being a CAGer.

As for the console price and how it targets the audience. I personally don't think hard-core gamers are RPG players. I think you have this wrong. My experience of 10 years retailing is that those who can spend $1k or more on launch day want fast paced action games and RPG's are the last thing they want. To me RPG games are time consuming and having a J.O.B. means I can't spend 100 hours trying to find the missing key to save the girl to get the flower of power to beat the dragon to open the locked chest to get the power amulet ....blah blah blah. I just want to freaking kill shit. Actually it's gun games, sports, and racing games that I think are easily geared to a more expensive market.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Defender.

Just saying if you plan on droping over 1000 on launch day straight cash. It's a bit odd to frequent this site. Because some of us funnel most of our money to bills. House bills, College bills, Credit card bills, etc. . .

And thats kind of an RPG stereotype. Square RPGs and copiers of that i'll give. But theres plenty of fun straight RPGs that are more action oriented. Jade Empire being the most recent one.

[quote name='TimPV3']No shit 360 dev kits were out last summer, the thing ships less than a month after this article was posted. Odds are we're still looking at a year for PS3, unless you think Sony will be able to pull a decent launch out of their asses in 6 months.[/QUOTE]

QFT

[quote name='TimPV3']No shit 360 dev kits were out last summer, the thing ships less than a month after this article was posted. Odds are we're still looking at a year for PS3, unless you think Sony will be able to pull a decent launch out of their asses in 6 months.[/QUOTE]
If they were out last summer, then they had them in developer's hands a good year and a third before launch. Sony I believe is still claiming a spring/summer launch (not that I believe them), so I think this is more of a testament of how Sony is not ready to launch PS3 for at least a year. I think we're looking at PS3 and Revolution coming out at around the same time, 2nd half of 06, probably Fall 06 for PS3 and maybe Winter 06 for Revolution.

If Sony does try and push this thing out in the spring, its going to suck for about 6 months.

With Nintendo you don't know. I'm betting christmas next year too. But they could launch if they finish enough games much earlier. Nintendo has proven you don't know what to expect from them.

[quote name='Autumn Star']I agree, it's a lot of money in one swift purchase.
But, unless you work at McDonalds and get minimum wage, 1,300 dollars IS NOT a months pay.
That is all.[/QUOTE]

I do not work at McD's.
I do not make minimum wage.
$1300 IS a month's pay, after taxes (sometimes I don't make that).

I also have two kids on the way. fuck the 360 at launch.

That is all.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I do not work at McD's.
I do not make minimum wage.
$1300 IS a month's pay, after taxes (sometimes I don't make that).

I also have two kids on the way. fuck the 360 at launch.

That is all.[/QUOTE]

It's roughly $8.13 an hour. Above minimum wage, but not much. However, it's more than I make at college :sad:

bread's done
Back