No central online service for PS3

dafoomie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/PlaystationMagazine/2005/11/01/1019152?extID=10026

They're going with the same online model as PS2. Can't say I'm pleased, I love XBL and I would have liked to see a similar model from Sony.

Full Article:

As we suspected months ago in our interview with Epic’s Mark Rein, it looks like Sony will in fact go with an open architecture for its online model. What does that mean, exactly? Basically, the way that the PlayStation 2’s online model operates will be applied to the PlayStation 3. While Harrison admitted that the Xbox Live online gaming service is one of the things that Microsoft has done well, he said that Sony’s plan is to let publishers establish their own means for getting consumers online and to let the publishers interact with consumers directly instead of using Sony as some kind of buffer for the online experience.

Unfortunately, by going with this model, Sony runs the risk of repeating its mistakes. The PS2 online model has proven to work with some sports games, a few shooters like SOCOM, and Final Fantasy XI, but outside of those, very few PS2 games have found success online. If Sony does a better job of promoting the online experience with the PlayStation 3 and at least attempts to have some sort of unifying structure, then this may not be the case. As it stands, Sony must have a decent plan in place if it hopes to make this model a success.

The Multiple-Sku Scenario

Microsoft announced that it plans to sell two versions of the Xbox 360 when it launches the system in November. One version, called the Xbox 360 core system, will include the console, a standard controller, a faceplate, a Silver membership to Xbox Live (which doesn’t actually let you play Xbox 360 games online), and a standard AV cable. The other Xbox 360 package adds a hard drive, a wireless controller, an Xbox Live headset, and a media remote—and all of this costs only $100 more.

There has already been a massive outcry from the Xbox community on Microsoft’s strategy, saying that it will segment the market much in the same way Sega did when it offered upgrades to its systems. “While we designed a no-compromises game system, a huge percentage of our customers are not like [hardcore users],” says J Allard, a corporate vice president at Microsoft. “Recognize that more than 75 percent of the folks on Xbox have not played Halo. By introducing the core system, we are sending a signal to the market that we are committed to this part of the market, just as we are committed to [the hardcore market] with the Xbox 360 premium bundle.”

In contrast, Harrison stated at the Game Developers Conference Europe that the current plan is to have only one version of the PlayStation 3 at launch, but that the company will start selling different versions of it down the line as new peripherals (such as the hard drive or the EyeToy) become available, but not before then. However, since the system is supposedly going to be so expensive, at least according to SCE’s own president, Ken Kutaragi, it might not be such a bad idea for Sony to offer different versions. The problem with Microsoft’s plan is that the inclusion of the hard drive in one package but not in the other means that developers are going to have to make a decision at some point—use the hard drive to make games more technologically advanced (thus forcing core users to buy the hard drive anyway) or make two versions of the game, one that supports the hard drive and another that doesn’t. It’s going to be a giant mess at some point, but since the PS3 won’t have the hard drive to start with, it’s less of a problem for Sony.

What Sony can do is make a stripped-down version of the PS3, one with fewer bells and whistles, for those that maybe aren’t quite ready to make the full jump into the high-def era. The other version of the unit can have all of the standard features revealed at E3 for a little extra money. That way, neither audience is neglected unless they want to make the jump to high definition. At any rate, Sony is still investigating potential price points and offers, but we should know more at the Tokyo Game Show and in the months following.

The Game Developers Conference Europe proved to be a focal point of PlayStation 3 discussions thanks to Sony Computer Entertainment Vice President Phil Harrison, who revealed a broad range of information, ranging from online play to the multiple-SKU strategy that Microsoft has chosen to use with the Xbox 360.

To the Rescue

The original Killzone has some pretty decent online multiplayer gameplay, but you really wouldn’t know it since Sony hasn’t done a particularly good job of pushing online play for its games or for the PlayStation 2 in general. Hopefully, the company has learned its lesson and will kick off the PS3’s online features the way it was meant to be done—with potentially great games like the next Killzone and Unreal Tournament 2007. But only time will tell if the open-structure model will be enough to give online PS3 games their due and take on Microsoft’s excellent Xbox Live service.

Copyright © 2005 Ziff Davis Media Inc. All Rights Reserved. Originally appearing in Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine.

I don't really have a problem with it. The few Sony games I played online had a good enough interface. Plus this way I dont have to pay for it like XBL.

[quote name='sevdustflyer']I'll take free over paying for a buddy list any day.[/QUOTE]

Said like a true gamer that has never played on XBox Live before.

XBox360 will have a free Live service..

[quote name='Scorch']Said like a true gamer that has never played on XBox Live before.

XBox360 will have a free Live service..[/QUOTE]

you cant play games with the free service, just have a profile, or so i thought

[quote name='Jerichoedge']Yeah, no free games on XBOX 360--just downloads, etc. You need to pay to play.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you can't play for free, except for the free weekends they'll run once in a while, probably not often.

Right now, you can basically play for free as much as you want, with the 2 month trial cards. They're not going to include them with 360 games, but you can still use the ones you have. As of today, they don't expire, but I'm not sure if that'll continue after the 360 launch.

Also, you're not necessarily stuck with paying full price for subscriptions, you can find deals on 12 month kits for about $30 with headset. Those cards don't expire. I used to be completely opposed to paying any kind of fees, but its really not much money. (Plus I got a couple 12 month kits for about $12 each).

Live is absolutely worth playing for, and anyone who feels otherwise has likely never played a game they really liked on it. Just look at Xbox Live's support over PS2 online support... Not to mention this:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/662/662347p1.html

That's right, Live 360 will have the best matchmaking, and therefore the most enjoyable ranked online matches yet. Very nice.

BTW, Perfect Dark Zero is now confirmed to allow 4 people to play online from one Xbox 360, just like Halo 2 and TimeSPlitters FP.

[quote name='shipwreck']This is somewhat surprising that Sony is going to let Microsoft monopolize the whole online community aspect.[/QUOTE]

They obviously dont care if they do.

IMO the current online model for ps2 games online sucks. I get D/C from games on a regualar basis, cheating is rampant (yes it does happen on xbox live, but no where near the shit I had to deal with for socom 1 and 2) and allowing ea to run a server is a horrible idea. I have returned my ps2 version of madden 06, because my friend and I play 1 game, and then can't play another. Both of our connections speeds are fine, I have tested mine, and his. EA's online service is the reason why I didn't pick up battlefield 2 for the xbox.

[quote name='eastx']Live is absolutely worth playing for, and anyone who feels otherwise has likely never played a game they really liked on it. Just look at Xbox Live's support over PS2 online support... Not to mention this:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/662/662347p1.html

That's right, Live 360 will have the best matchmaking, and therefore the most enjoyable ranked online matches yet. Very nice.

BTW, Perfect Dark Zero is now confirmed to allow 4 people to play online from one Xbox 360, just like Halo 2 and TimeSPlitters FP.[/QUOTE]
XBL is 360's big selling point, they're doing some new, exciting, and to borrow a Nintendo term, innovative things with the online community, matchmaking, content, and every other aspect of XBL. I just heard today that they're going to be doing some things with retail kiosks and XBL. I can't wait to see how this is all going to work.

This is not a knock on Sony, but MS is differentiating itself from everyone else with XBL, Nintendo is differentiating itself with the new controller (among many other things), what is Sony doing? Everyone else seems to be doing new and innovative things. I just don't see anything like that from Sony yet, maybe its just too early to tell. Since I'm going to be buying all 3 consoles, I was just hoping for more from the current market leader. It just doesn't seem like they're ready, or have a direction for the next gen.

[quote name='dafoomie']XBL is 360's big selling point, they're doing some new, exciting, and to borrow a Nintendo term, innovative things with the online community, matchmaking, content, and every other aspect of XBL. I just heard today that they're going to be doing some things with retail kiosks and XBL. I can't wait to see how this is all going to work.

This is not a knock on Sony, but MS is differentiating itself from everyone else with XBL, Nintendo is differentiating itself with the new controller (among many other things), what is Sony doing? Everyone else seems to be doing new and innovative things. I just don't see anything like that from Sony yet, maybe its just too early to tell. Since I'm going to be buying all 3 consoles, I was just hoping for more from the current market leader. It just doesn't seem like they're ready, or have a direction for the next gen.[/QUOTE]

Sony is doing Blu-Ray...

[quote name='shipwreck']Sony is doing Blu-Ray...[/QUOTE]
Everyones doing new technology... A new game disc format doesn't get people excited. Now, if Blu-Ray movies catch on in a big way, and replace standard DVD's within PS3's life expectancy, then it'll have an advantage. Still, I don't see this as differentiating itself from the competition.

MS is all about XBL
Nintendo is all about the controller, innovation, creativity, uniqueness, etc
Sony is all about Blu-Ray?

There has to be something more. Something must not be public yet.

Sad to here the news.

I admit I am a diehard Sony fanboy. Besides Halo I haven't really seen anything I like much on XBOX. However I will be the first to admit Xbox online is leap years ahead of sony's online play. If it took a little money I would gladly pay to have a central improved service.

A little dissapointing. I like the free aspect of it, being a cheapass and all, but this will probably lead to less online support. I still hope there are plenty of developers who choose to take advantage of the PS3 online capabilities.

As long as the next gen socom is still free i'm happy. I just recently got xbox live and it's okay I guess. Theres just not that many games on xbox that I want to play online my far cry is still sealed and sitting in my TL right now :lol:

[quote name='sevdustflyer']I'll take free over paying for a buddy list any day.[/QUOTE]

If you think Live is only a buddy list then you don't know what you are missing.

[quote name='dpatel']A little dissapointing. I like the free aspect of it, being a cheapass and all, but this will probably lead to less online support. I still hope there are plenty of developers who choose to take advantage of the PS3 online capabilities.[/QUOTE]
Thats the aspect of this that I completely forgot about.

Sony is completely placing the burden of online support on the developer. They have to run their own servers, which costs a lot of money. It might not be worth it, unless you're going to charge money for it.

MS makes it very, very easy for a developer to add Live support, and MS takes care of the rest, it doesn't cost the developer any money. I recall MS sending a guy over to SNK to basically write the online code for them, for some game.

Having online support on PS3 seems to be a money losing proposition, unless its going to result in dramatically increased sales, or you charge money.

I don't think people buy a Playstation to play online, if they do then they are stupid. Xbox runs online console gaming.

[quote name='zewone']I don't think people buy a Playstation to play online, if they do then they are stupid. Xbox runs online console gaming.[/QUOTE]
Just to add a bit of HYPE to what he said...
EVERY XBOX360 GAME WILL BE LIVE

that's right, every 360 game will have some sort of online capabilty. in one shape or form. This is a straight from microsoft

Ugh, unless things change from how they were with PS2 online... this is gonna suck just as bad when compared to XBox Live. There'll be some great, wonderful online games for the PS3... but without a central hub system like XBL... they'll just never have the same amount of well made online experiences.

[quote name='jetblac']Just to add a bit of HYPE to what he said...
EVERY XBOX360 GAME WILL BE LIVE

that's right, every 360 game will have some sort of online capabilty. in one shape or form. This is a straight from microsoft[/QUOTE]

I thought they meant that each game will be "live aware" meaning that they are required to be recognized by the buddly list system but that is it. So they could have live capabilities but some of them will just be "live aware", so if your online friends can message you if you are playing any game.

[quote name='dpatel']I thought they meant that each game will be "live aware" meaning that they are required to be recognized by the buddly list system but that is it. So they could have live capabilities but some of them will just be "live aware", so if your online friends can message you if you are playing any game.[/QUOTE]

You are correct.

[quote name='Scorch']XBox360 will have a free Live service..[/QUOTE]

And then again, it's going to be limited, isn't it? Like, only on weekdays? I don't care if it's free... that's lame. I don't think many of my college buddies are going to be up until 5 AM on school nights playing Live with me, they'll be doing it during the weekends (provided we're not out drinking).

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']And then again, it's going to be limited, isn't it? Like, only on weekdays? I don't care if it's free... that's lame. I don't think many of my college buddies are going to be up until 5 AM on school nights playing Live with me, they'll be doing it during the weekends (provided we're not out drinking).[/QUOTE]

I think you can access all non-gaming content with the free service. And I believe the gaming part will be more limited than that, like it will only be a few preview weekends or weekdays every month of something.

[quote name='dpatel']I think you can access all non-gaming content with the free service. And I believe the gaming part will be more limited than that, like it will only be a few preview weekends or weekdays every month of something.[/QUOTE]
Yes, anything that isn't playing the actual game online, is free. You're just paying for playing the games online. The free weekends for that are supposed to be only every once in a while.

Don't assume that every PS3 game will be free to play online, either. What Sony did is make the publishers and developers solely responsible for the costs of running their games online, maintaining servers, etc. The price of that could be a monthly fee, or no online multiplayer at all for some games. Sony's stance is NOT that it should be free, their stance is to let developers and publishers handle it.

[quote name='dafoomie']
MS is all about XBL
Nintendo is all about the controller, innovation, creativity, uniqueness, etc
Sony is all about Blu-Ray?
[/QUOTE]

sony is all about controlling and owning their content via nasty DRM software. Actually today, i heard they are moving away from shitting in your computer to prevent piracy. wow it only took two weeks. i think the same people are running the ps3 online development. they refuse to admit that the current setup is inferior, and insist on repeating the same online infrastructure as last generation.

i find it amazing that sony is throwing ALL of their eggs into the blu ray basket that is still in development not on shelves. i mean test the blu ray product out before sending it to market only to bellyflop.

bread's done
Back