Guess the Game from the Sound Clip

woobacca

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Inspired by http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71425.

I have collected a series of midi sound clips of video game music. Most of these clips have been taken from VGMusic.com and are temporarily being hosted on my web server. I've done this not only to mask the true file names which often give away the game, but also to avoid hotlinking to VGMusic.com's server. When the round is over, I will give credit to the original sequencers of these midi files.

Edit: BlueWingX hosted an outstanding Round 6. Thanks again to everyone who participated!

How do I get these clips to work in Firefox? It says Quicktime should work, but doesn't actually install anything...

[quote name='chosen1s']
Clip 17 is Castlevania (3?)[/QUOTE]

Yeah the song name is actually Vampire Killers, from the first game. But, it was kind of reprised in 3 so it's hard to tell which this is since it's MIDI.

What I got on my own:
1) Donkey Kong
2) Ghost n' Goblins
3) ?
4) Metroid
5) Bubble Bobble
6) Legend Of Zelda
7) ?
8) ?
9) Kid Icarus
10) Kung Fu
11) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
12) Dragon Warrior
13) ?
14) Ninja Gaiden
15) ?
16) Goonies II
17) Castlevania
18) ?
19) Contra
20) ?

[quote name='Backlash']20 is Gradius?[/QUOTE]

Or maybe I was thinking of 8? They're starting to blend together....argghh.

Is 8 Blaster Master?

Just got back from a meeting. I'll take a quick look at everyone's answers.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']How do I get these clips to work in Firefox? It says Quicktime should work, but doesn't actually install anything...[/QUOTE]Sorry man, I don't know... Do you have Windows Media Player? Maybe you can try associating .MID files with it somehow.

Nice job everyone! Y'all got the right answers except for the two with question marks below.

1. Donkey Kong - Pongball
2. Ghosts 'n Goblins - John Engelmann
3. ?
4. Metroid - Erik
5. Bubble Bobble - Robert Krzeminski
6. Legend of Zelda - Jeffrey M Colletti
7. Battletoads - Meezo
8. ?
9. Kid Icarus - Erik
10. Kung Fu - Allen Kung
11. TMNT - John Engelmann
12. Dragon Warrior - Ryu Hokoru
13. 1943 - JILost
14. Ninja Gaiden - Deuce
15. Rush'n Attack - Zorilla
16. Goonies 2 - Tom Kim
17. Castlevania - Jorge D. Fuentes
18. Kirby's Adventure - Joe Bickley
19. Contra - Anthony Bellissimo
20. Blaster Master - Unknown

Edit: Added VGMusic.com sequencer credits next to titles

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Bah! 3 just came to me. I think.

Golgo 13?[/QUOTE]

I thought so too; the music in the "3D" underground passageways, IIRC.

You guys got it.

3. Golgo 13 - Jedi Questmaster
8. Gradius - albert_ng

Thanks for playing. If I feel motivated, I'll set up a round two later this week or something.

Edit: Added VGMusic.com sequencer credits next to titles.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']How do I always miss out on this stuff? Let's have another![/QUOTE]

No kidding! I spend the day at work, then come home to find out I missed this. I didn't even get a chance to guess, what with all the answers in the original post now... Sigh. That's it. No more work for me! I'm staying on these boards 24/7!

Seriously, though... This was a cool idea, woobacca! I hope I get a chance to play next round.

I've got a few, where could I host them? I've been recording and rearranging(er, deconstructing? :p ) NES songs for fun with my 8 track....

D'oh, sorry fellas! I should keep the anonymous clips around for at least a day or two next time.

Hey Apossum, I'll be happy to temporarily host your files on my server.

Actually to be honest my knowledge of classic games is pretty much limited to NES, Atari 2600 and Commodore 64. If anyone wants to host a round with a different system or some other theme, just PM me and we'll work out the details. I'll put copies of the sound clips on my server, get the HTML files ready for linking and update the OP. If you want to use clips from VGMusic.com or some other site, just send me the links to the pages or clips. Or if you have your own files like Apossum, I can probably set you up with temporary space on my server for file transfer. In general, let's keep the files small (midi is great in that respect, but other formats with shorter run times work fine too).

2-- World games? Summer games? ;-)

5-- Tapper!

I'm going to upload mine now Woo.

[quote name='BlueWingX']7 is Leisure Suit Larry, I think.[/QUOTE]

That's right, try to cover up the fact that you IMMEDIATELY picked out LSL.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']That's right, try to cover up the fact that you IMMEDIATELY picked out LSL.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well... I was a die hard Sierra fan, back in the day. The sadder thing is that that was the only one I absolutely recognized. :(

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']That's right, try to cover up the fact that you IMMEDIATELY picked out LSL.[/QUOTE]:lol:

So far we've got these correct answers:

1. Dig Dug
2. Summer Games
4. Pole Position
7. Leisure Suit Larry

Actually #5 isn't Tapper. I guess it sounds just like that? I'll dig it up...

[quote name='Apossum']I've got a few, where could I host them? I've been recording and rearranging(er, deconstructing? :p ) NES songs for fun with my 8 track....[/QUOTE]
Updated OP with links to your sound clips. Dude these are hot! You recorded them yourself?

The only ones I could really tell were like... 4 of them, and most were already said. The only one I know that hasn't been said:
16. Rambo: First Blood, Part II C64

bread's done
Back