SoCal Arcade Thread!! (foolz!)

JEKKI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
whatup all my SoCalian Stallions??

California has one of the BEST arcade scenes in the country, for competitve gaming (fightings / Initial D), bemani games, and jus some other real fun shit!

so u guys better get off ure asses and go to the arcade!! many say things like "oh arcades are dying" but theyre REAL fun and u gotta keep it alive!

here's a rundown and a description of stuff:

Arcade Infinity
1380 S.Fullerton Road, Suite 206
Rowland Heights, CA 91748

this place is the SPOT!! the mecca of american bemani scene back in 2000, lots of the greatest groups and players came out of here, as well as the best tournaments! Aside from all the bemanis, they have all the latest games from japan as well! (I believe it's the only place in the USA to have VF4 final mix or something, and it has Rumble Fish 2 also!) The fighting cabinets are japan style, sit down. They even got lots of Initial D players! It's in a cool, fobbish area, which means people stay there hella late and u can mack on all the taiwanese chicks!

Cyberzone
3377 Wilshire Blvd #104
Los Angeles, CA

this one is in Korea Town. Therefore, all the korean games like Pump It Up is there. Not really that great of an arcade, but definately unique. Fun to go every now and then. Since a lot of koreans play pump, it's fun to go and see korean moms playing it (and theyre real good too!). This was the spot of the last great DDR tournament, Cyber Beat Nation (happened in like 2003 I think, DDR died after that).

Family Fun Arcade
10363 Balboa Blvd
Granada Hills, CA 91344

Family is 3rd Strike central! All of cali's greatest 3S players play there. There's like, 6 or 7 3S machines set up there, They have all the other fighting games there too, as well as DDR, beatmania, etc. This is like my "home" arcade since I useta go here when I was little. It's still one of the best.

Camelot Golfland
3200 Carpenter Ave.
Anaheim, CA 92806

This place is the successor to the ill-fated Souther Hills Golfland (SHGL or shiggle). As SHGL was the mecca for fighting games, all the players moved to here. It was the only place to get soul calibur competition, but of course MVC2, 3S, and GGXX are played here as well. Although I do not kno what's been up with the fighting scene lately, I am not sure how lively this place is on thrusday / friday nites (I havent been in a long time). I'ma definately check it out again soon.

dat's all I can think of now, there's other places like Regency Fun Center in Lakewood and All Amusement in Van Nuys but I donno how good those places are.

maybe I will go to Arcade Infinity tonite! ^_^v

Awesome, thanks for the list. I tried to get a list of good arcades in the area like 2 years ago but came up dry.

There is a Family Fun Arcade right across the street from LA Community College...it's pretty cool. The import F-Zero game makes it worth it.

It seems Arcades are just about dead nowadays. UCLA arcade has Drummania which isn't too bad and it's a walk from my workplace but yeah...

Ah the good ol days of AI D:

Yeah, arcades seem kind of dead around here. Probably because I don't go to them that much, but whenever I have, there's no one to play against in fighting games.

The 90's were so great for arcade fighters. My family and I used to go to Vegas two or three times a year, and I'd work a bunch of people in SF and MK. Machines were crowded, and everyone set their quarters because they had next. People used to get pissed because they'd lose to a little kid like me. :)

gotta keep this alive yo.

went to FFA today for a bit,

they got Neo Geo Battle Colloseum

(which prolly means AI has it too).

I been working, and yet been broke too lately

so I havent gone arcade in soooooo long,

I still havent hit up a thrusday nite at camelot thing.

but... new years resolution would change dat!

Man, I wish we had decent arcades up here in Ventura County. All we have is Ventura Golf n Stuff, which has almost nothing interesting. =T Camelot Golfland sounds interesting (I loves me my GGXX.), but driving through LA....ehhhh....

In San Diego... the best one(and it's still a shitty arcade) is probably Mission Valley Centre Tilt or Plaza Bonita Tilt...

My crew and I wreck shop in Tekken there... :)

There's a Tilt at the Temecula Promenade and man, that place blows. I honestly don't know how they stay in business.

The Nickel City in Carmel Mountain Ranch used to be great back when it was still Metropolis. Once NC bought them out it seemed to go downhill from there, but I haven't been back in years so idk if it ever got any better (Carmel Mountain Real Estate isn't cheap, so they must be doing something right to keep afloat all these years).

I miss SHGL :whistle2:(

There's a Tilt at the Temecula Promenade and man, that place blows. I honestly don't know how they stay in business.

The Nickel City in Carmel Mountain Ranch used to be great back when it was still Metropolis. Once NC bought them out it seemed to go downhill from there, but I haven't been back in years so idk if it ever got any better (Carmel Mountain Real Estate isn't cheap, so they must be doing something right to keep afloat all these years).

I used to work at Nickel City. During the summer, there are a ton of summer camps that go to Nickel City. I always felt like crying when there were 50 little kids at the ticket counter screaming, "I WANT THIS!" I think that these summer camps + the ticket games keep NC afloat. The games that give out tickets seem to be very popular among the little kids that go there

[quote name='ChWMeiNThG']FFA and Interface in Simi Valley, the only arcades that matter.[/QUOTE]

? There's actually a decent arcade in Simi? Do you know if they have a website? I tried googling them and didn't get anything.

I remember always going to an awesome arcade called the Yellow Brick Road I think... it was at the UTC mall and that place always used to be packed. Those were in the glory days of SFII and MK.

[quote name='gizmogc']There is Electric Ave. in Ventura....right off of Johson St, by the big Theater.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but they're mostly a LAN place with a few decent machines. (The good ol' days of playing Initial D ver 2 for hours on end. :D Fun times.) Not much else beyond that if I recall correctly.

[quote name='MarkMan']SHGL was the best... the mecca of arcade gaming in the early and late 90s... :([/QUOTE]

I remember the good days where I would ride my bike there and catch a movie at the nearby Edwards, too bad both are now gone. The Edwards became a Super Auto parts shop and SHGL became a community of condos. :(

isnt interface where they play like gunbound and stuff?!?!

I once won $30 in arcade tokens at SHGL for getting 1st place in their DDR tournament on Halloween, prolly like 2002 I think.

I even had mine name in Tips n Tricks magazine!

yo, I was sambao of the mighty ddr group Team Action Go Go Go.

I was quite frankly one of the worst freestylers ever.

these days I'm sambao of the mighty rap group Team Action Go Go Go

(of which I am the only member).

I am quite frankly one of the worst freestylers ever.

There was "Western Arcade" by Mt. Sac. I forgot the new name now but it was pretty good back then. There was another one by Cal Poly but that closed down years ago.

Hehe, anyone remember PAC-Man in Pasadena? That was THE PLACE to go.

My buddy is always going to an arcade in LA...Im just too lazy to go with him. There are a few pool/bars that have a bunch of arcade games inside...one right by the Topanga mall. Been there a few times to shoot some pool and would sometimes play a little bit of the arcade games.

Other then that, its always Golf N Stuff. Havn't been in a long time, but the last time they had a F-Zero GX machine....drool

[quote name='Logain8955']? There's actually a decent arcade in Simi? Do you know if they have a website? I tried googling them and didn't get anything.[/QUOTE]

It's a whatever arcade. Its run by the owner of FFA so there are good cabinets...on 3S at least. Theres other bemani games, but the main reason anyone goes is 3S. Its half cyber cafe half arcade/console games.

GTA was known as the best arcade in San Diego before it closed...I think it was more for it's DDR machine than anything else.

I was told that Ray's used to be a very good arcade for DDRers a long long time ago.

NC is probably the only decent arcade in San Diego right now if I'm not mistaken

Arcade Infinity is indeed awesome, as well as that entire Life Plaza area. It's like stepping into a geographical warp and ending up in some slice of Hong Kong / Tokyo. That was the first and only time I'd ever seen those insanely advanced automated sticker photo booths outside of Tokyo!

Too bad going to AI is too farking far for me do it regularly #-o
I get lazy and instead head to Camelot off the 91...

AI is the closest to San Gabruel I think. there useta be some arcade underground but I dont think it's there anymore...

Pac Man arcade?!?! yeah dat's the place to go if u wanna feel like taking a shower. seriously dat place was dirty.

anyway this thrusday nite is Camelot nite. I gotta check out if the place is still poppin like a popper, I wanna play some cvs2 (and get mine ass kicked in it)

nickel nickel has prolly been mentioned (huntington beach), but i went there yesterday for a cheap family night out, and the place was crowded

i personally haven't been tehre in a while, and i noticed some new stuff there
time crisis 3
paraparadise thingy
3 skeetball thingys
initial d (dunno which version)

i enjoyed it, 3 of us went in, and spent 10 dollars together for 3 hours of play (admission ($3) extra)

Yo... if anyone is in the Southern California area... here's a heads up.

The first Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection machine has arrived in the US. It's at Super Arcade... here's the address:

Super Arcade
1211 Grand Ave
Walnut, CA

That's the new name for "western" arcade. Thanks for the info. I know my friend wants to play it. Do you know if you can use the "card" from T5 original?

[quote name='MarkMan']Yo... if anyone is in the Southern California area... here's a heads up.

The first Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection machine has arrived in the US. It's at Super Arcade... here's the address:

Super Arcade
1211 Grand Ave
Walnut, CA[/QUOTE]

yo~~~ I jux got back from Camelot, didnt stay for very long at all.

it's been like 2 year since I went on a thrusday,

I thought weekly tournaments would be a passed fad,

but... nope. MVC2 and 3S going on.

anyway, I still suck at CVS2 and the sticks on GGXX were broken.

I cashed in $3 of tokens and left with 11 of them!!

I should step my game up now, maybe participate in 3S even tho I suck.

I jus got my new Issue of the entertainment magazine, Giant

Japan Arcade in little tokyo got rated as one of their top 5 best arcades in the US

o_O....

whatever...

anyway who is going to camelot tonite?!?!

is JEKKI going??

I think he might. he may be in the area and jus might stop by

Man, I haven't been to Ray's in ages...maybe because it was all $1 games and I felt shitty after spending a grip there. BUT it is probably the cleanest arcade i've ever been in, and not too many cats go there. Good for the bemani games.

Sucks that GTA closed, but NC is the best around for north county heads. They've still got 3S and CVS2 and MVC2, so ehhh. Not too bad.

I

there is a Tekken 5 : Dark Ressurection machine at Cal Stat Northridge, it also has a big mvc2 scene, as well as 3rd strike, also a DDR extreme cabinet, capcom vs snk2, kof 11, metal slug 5 , pool tables, ping pong tables.yes

If anyone is going to Disneyland soon, they have one of the few Mario kart GP machines (the Mario kart arcade game that has a couple of pac-man characters)

There also used to be a Mario Kart arcade at Gable House Bowl in Torrance on Hawthorne Blvd. I haven't been there for a month or two and can't confirm that its still there, but it was :)

at the Chuckie Cheese's in Pasadena near Rosemead Blvd and Foothill Blvd they have Mario Kart for only .25 cent a play

Wow, didn't know GTA shutdown. Though it was literally behind a 7 Eleven, they had a great selection of games. I liked their sit down arcade boxes a lot for some reason. Though when I went there, all I played was ID and occasional DDR which I suck bad at.

bread's done
Back