Newbie Flaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmapolice

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I dont understand why people insist on flaming newbie's for no reason. Almost every other thread I go into, it somehow has turned into a noob flame war. We were all noobs once and I dont understand how the boards have become like this.

I remember when I first joined, some of you may remember, I started a thread about GBA Roms. I had no idea that this was not allowed to be discussed (I believe we didnt have the FAQ yet). Everyone that posted gave me a polite response along the lines of: "Roms arent allowed to be discussed on here, in the future please dont post about them". All rather polite and informative responses, no flaming. I sent a formal appology PM to Cheapy and all was well.

I dont understand why the boards have become filled with hate and flaming. I know there was always been flaming but it wasnt always to noobs. It was usually to some dumbass like cloudspek. Sorry for the rant, but I just dont think its right that people are always flaming noobs for not knowing what we know, but we've been here alot longer too. I know we have the Faqs, but I dont think every noob knows about them.

I just thought I would voice my opinion on the matter. I would love to see how many others agree with me on this issue.

/end rant.

~Karma

It's Flaming, not flamming :)

And i agree for the most part, but after being here a few years it becomes cyclical. I just try and actually help the eprson while reasonably explaining what they did wrong (if anything at all)

Sorry... I just woke up. I dont know how I mispelled it EVERY time. Someone tell me if I missed one.

It does seem like every so often it starts up again. Maybe its like forum PMS(not to insult the 5 girls we have). It always seems to be a selection of people aswell.

Only bad newbie experience I had was getting told by Punqsux to get the hell off of cheapassgamer noob when I said "the website's getting worse" (I posted this in a thread about GameFAQs)

Because it makes their epenis grow if they can make others feel like crap.
I also can't stand the" Ive been here longer then you and I have a larger post count so your a loser" mentality. Which is why the ignore feature is so great.
In most cases I prefer newbies because they don't have the same superiority complexes that many of the "vet" posters here do.

oh, karma. you sensitive bastard, you. think of it as his initiation. he goes through hell for a week and then its all good.

[quote name='thagoat']oh, karma. you sensitive bastard, you. think of it as his initiation. he goes through hell for a week and then its all good.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, so the site can be just like a frat. That's a good idea, because fraternities are brilliant places, they are.

[quote name='jmcc']Yeah, so the site can be just like a frat. That's a good idea, because fraternities are brilliant places, they are.[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly what I thought of that post. Fraternities are stupid, and I dont think that most people on CAG would want to be in one, let alone one on a fucking video game forum!

edit- I dont remember when it was anounced that sensitivity was a bad thing... Im not that sensitive its just I know it doesnt feel to great and doesnt really make you want to return when you ask a question and get yelled at because your new.

How would it make you feel if you went to a new school as a kid and when you asked your new teacher a question all they did was say "Your a noob! You're sooo stupid! OMG!"

I think the flaming is mostly directed at newbies that go out of their way to introduce themselves by creating a "welcome, me!" type thread. To some old timers, calling such attention to yourself when you're brand new to a message board comes across as slightly arrogant. When I was a newb, I laid low for a while, respected the board by reading the FAQs and getting a feel for the culture and unspoken rules. I posted comments on topics that interested me, but I didn't create my own first thread until after I had gotten a feel for the board.

I'm sure newbs that do create introductory threads are just doing so out of friendliness. I don't condone the flaming; I'm just taking a guess at why it bothers some people.

[quote name='karmapolice']Thats the thread that started this rant.[/QUOTE]

I do agree with you 100%. This is... just really "GameFAQs-y", guys. Why do you need to flame potential active members and scare them away? This forum will die without circulating members, so hiding in your hole and jumping out fo rip off noob flesh won't help keep this forum in good shape. It'll only get worse.

woobacca, if you had posted that theory a year ago, you would have been spot on. Now it has become that just being a noob gets you flamed no matter what you say or ask. Its rediculus.

[quote name='karmapolice']woobacca, if you had posted that theory a year ago, you would have been spot on. Now it has become that just being a noob gets you flamed no matter what you say or ask. Its rediculus.[/QUOTE]
I think you're right. Pretty sad actually.

Some people like to feel surperior to others. And if it's because you have been on a web site longer than someone thats a pretty sad thing to pump yourself up with. I only get mad if a new person keeps making the same mistake after being corrected

[quote name='jlarlee']Some people like to feel surperior to others. And if it's because you have been on a web site longer than someone thats a pretty sad thing to pump yourself up with. I only get mad if a new person keeps making the same mistake after being corrected[/QUOTE]

Yes that simply comes as the difference between honest mistake and complete ignorance.

However, CAG is full of trolls. More than we think.

Not to point fingers or anything, but lately ive been seeing one person that hasnt made one helpful or nice post. I think that not just the cloudspek's of these forums should be banned but also the non-helpful trolls. Now, some trolls are funny and we tolerate because we all have a suspicion they arent "all there" if you know what I mean.

[quote name='karmapolice']Thats exactly what I thought of that post. Fraternities are stupid, and I dont think that most people on CAG would want to be in one, let alone one on a fucking video game forum!
[/QUOTE]

Wait a tic.

You're all in favor of not flaming people for being new, but you're cool with bashing things based on your seemingly stereotypical view of them? Seems a little hypocritical to me.

I know there are at least a few people on this board who belonged to fraternities when they were in college. And while I happen to be a member of a fraternity, regardless of my membership status, I would still take offense to these comments.

I mean, I just don't get it. What's next? Bashing people based on their religions or hobbies?

[quote name='s1eepinglionhart']Wait a tic.

You're all in favor of not flaming people for being new, but you're cool with bashing things based on your seemingly stereotypical view of them? Seems a little hypocritical to me.

I know there are at least a few people on this board who belonged to fraternities when they were in college. And while I happen to be a member of a fraternity, regardless of my membership status, I would still take offense to these comments.

I mean, I just don't get it. What's next? Bashing people based on their religions or hobbies?[/QUOTE]

I dont really have a problem with a fraternity. It's the attitudes I tend to see from their members and how you typically have to get it.

I agree with the OP and have often wondered how many people who would have been assets to the community got turned off and figuratively walked away from CAG after being on the receiving end of such negativity and often just real stupidity.

Personally, I think we should have a e-welcome wagon program (is anyone beside me old enough to know what a welcome wagon is?) for first posters or something to counteract the flaming because I don't think it can be eliminated.

(Note: I'm the only newbie posting in this thread so don't pick on me....)

[quote name='thagoat']oh, karma. you sensitive bastard, you. think of it as his initiation. he goes through hell for a week and then its all good.[/QUOTE]

I remember my initiation. I created a trading thread for future trades. I wanted it clean with no replies and asked (POLITELY) "Please do not post here" in the title. ..oh boy!..It was on top of the trading forum for a long time. MotherF||ckers :lol:

Well we can all agree there are some members who generally aren't any help to the CAG society. The problem is what can we do about this to prevent further despicable welcomes?

I mean, I just don't get it. What's next? Bashing people based on their religions or hobbies?[/QUOTE]
Did you have an initiation period to get into your frat or not?

[quote name='masha']I remember my initiation. I created a trading thread for future trades. I wanted it clean with no replies and asked (POLITELY) "Please do not post here" in the title. ..oh boy!..It was on top of the trading forum for a long time. MotherF||ckers :lol:[/QUOTE]

I remember that thread. I never understood how or why that happened.

I think we should figure out some way to welcome noobs, have a list of trolls for them to watch out for and ignore if need-be. The trolls know who they are and I dont really think it would hurt their feelings to be called as such.

[quote name='karmapolice']I think we should figure out some way to welcome noobs, have a list of trolls for them to watch out for and ignore if need-be. The trolls know who they are and I dont really think it would hurt their feelings to be called as such.[/QUOTE]

Well if they can dish the pain and can't take it, fuck them. Trolls are trolls, and it would help a new member to know who and what to avoid.

The Newbie Welcome thread, though, should go. It's just a joke to the OP and its posters, and doesn't really have any respect at all to the new members. The general attitude is, "Hey we don't really care you're new but just post here so we don't have to deal with it."

[quote name='Moxio']Well if they can dish the pain and can't take it, fuck them. Trolls are trolls, and it would help a new member to know who and what to avoid.

The Newbie Welcome thread, though, should go. It's just a joke to the OP and its posters, and doesn't really have any respect at all to the new members. The general attitude is, "Hey we don't really care you're new but just post here so we don't have to deal with it."[/QUOTE]

I was thinking more along the lines of an automated PM to new members that would welcome them and have a link to the Faqs, Troll list, Moderater list, and whatever else would help.

A gay muslim frat who specialized in stamp collecting would not be treated well here

[quote name='karmapolice']I was thinking more along the lines of an automated PM to new members that would welcome them and have a link to the Faqs, Troll list, Moderater list, and whatever else would help.[/QUOTE]

That's a very good idea! :D

For potential traders, we could include the Tradelist guidelines (the Trading area is an easy place to screw up relations).

There's plenty of FAQs, but it's apparenty barely anyone reads them. Perhaps if they were concentrated in one PM they'd take the time to read it

[quote name='jmcc']Did you have an initiation period to get into your frat or not?[/QUOTE]

Yes, my fraternity had a pledge program.

AFAIK, just about all fraternities and sororities have an "initiation period" associated with joining, with the possible exception of some service/honor organizations.

My fraternity membership does not imply that I believe new CAGs go through an "initiation period". Nobody should be flamed for asking for help, no matter how "valid" you determine the quesiton to be -- I'm appalled at what the OP of the aforementioned thread had to deal with for asking for advice from other and potentially more experienced CAGs.

[quote name='karmapolice']I was thinking more along the lines of an automated PM to new members that would welcome them and have a link to the Faqs, Troll list, Moderater list, and whatever else would help.[/QUOTE]

This is a great idea.

Perhaps you could PM Cheapy, one of the mods, or technical advisors to see if this could be easily implemented?

[quote name='s1eepinglionhart']Yes, my fraternity had a pledge program.

AFAIK, just about all fraternities and sororities have an "initiation period" associated with joining, with the possible exception of some service/honor organizations.

My fraternity membership does not imply that I believe new CAGs go through an "initiation period". Nobody should be flamed for asking for help, no matter how "valid" you determine the quesiton to be -- I'm appalled at what the OP of the aforementioned thread had to deal with for asking for advice from other and potentially more experienced CAGs.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100%. Trolls that insist on flaming leave a bad taste in your mouth that reflects on the whole CAG community. If it were up to me, these guys would be temporarily banned. Most of us have a life and don't need to spend our free time bashing people.

....I think a lot of it has to be with the whole free-form internet thing...like how a thread about flaming noobs becomes a thread about the validity of fraternaties.

Some people unfortunately just go directly for the asshole response, and do NOTHING for this site (evanft...the only person on my ignore list fits the bill IMO). Smart ass replies along with help are fine though...a good laugh along with good info helps everybody

At the bottom of every post there's this little thing called a "Report Bad Post" button. It looks like this:

report.gif

If you see excessive flaming and you feel it's strongly out of line with the forum rules, report it.

Troll List- The slight problem with that is that it really is an opinion though. Some people i'd love to throw on thier for being dicks, but might get along with other people.

[quote name='karmapolice']Thats exactly what I thought of that post. Fraternities are stupid, and I dont think that most people on CAG would want to be in one, let alone one on a fucking video game forum![/QUOTE]
I'm in a fraternity. Doesn't that make you just as insensitive as the "noob-flamers?"

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']At the bottom of every post there's this little thing called a "Report Bad Post" button. It looks like this:

report.gif

If you see excessive flaming and you feel it's strongly out of line with the forum rules, report it.[/QUOTE]

While that's true, apparently it doesn't seem to be working if this is being seen so often.

[quote name='s1eepinglionhart']Yes, my fraternity had a pledge program.

My fraternity membership does not imply that I believe new CAGs go through an "initiation period". Nobody should be flamed for asking for help, no matter how "valid" you determine the quesiton to be -- I'm appalled at what the OP of the aforementioned thread had to deal with for asking for advice from other and potentially more experienced CAGs.[/QUOTE]
And what activities were entailed in the pledge period?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']At the bottom of every post there's this little thing called a "Report Bad Post" button. It looks like this:

report.gif

If you see excessive flaming and you feel it's strongly out of line with the forum rules, report it.[/QUOTE]

I know one girl who used this button alot :rofl:

[quote name='karmapolice']Thats exactly what I thought of that post. Fraternities are stupid, and I dont think that most people on CAG would want to be in one, let alone one on a fucking video game forum!

edit- I dont remember when it was anounced that sensitivity was a bad thing... Im not that sensitive its just I know it doesnt feel to great and doesnt really make you want to return when you ask a question and get yelled at because your new.

How would it make you feel if you went to a new school as a kid and when you asked your new teacher a question all they did was say "Your a noob! You're sooo stupid! OMG!"[/QUOTE]
i never said it was bad. thats your oversensitive side telling you that, you bastard. plus i get called a noob about 1 thousand times a day online and elsewhere. guess what, i could care less. if the world would let the stupid shit roll off of its shoulder, it would be a better place.

[quote name='b0bx13']I'm in a fraternity. Doesn't that make you just as insensitive as the "noob-flamers?"[/QUOTE]

I voiced my opinion... I never said anyone esle was stupid for being in one. I said that I thought most people on CAG wouldnt want to be in one. That is again my opinion. If you think differently then I applaud you. The fact remains I unsulted no one, and merely said what I thought. Can we stay on topic please?

[quote name='thagoat']i never said it was bad. thats your oversensitive side telling you that, you bastard. plus i get called a noob about 1 thousand times a day online and elsewhere. guess what, i could care less. if the world would let the stupid shit roll off of its shoulder, it would be a better place.[/QUOTE]
You know what would be even better? A world without stupid shit.

[quote name='thagoat']i never said it was bad. thats your oversensitive side telling you that, you bastard. plus i get called a noob about 1 thousand times a day online and elsewhere. guess what, i could care less. if the world would let the stupid shit roll off of its shoulder, it would be a better place.[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt find it a problem if you said it once... Throughout that thread you kept on bashing him for no reason. You kept trying to start a flame war. This is a community a family of sorts, we try to help each other. We dont want to bash each other for no reason when someone asks for help.

[quote name='karmapolice']I voiced my opinion... I never said anyone esle was stupid for being in one. I said that I thought most people on CAG wouldnt want to be in one. That is again my opinion. If you think differently then I applaud you. The fact remains I unsulted no one, and merely said what I thought. Can we stay on topic please?[/QUOTE]
no, clearly he is insulted.

I love how I started a thread on the problems of flaming and bashing, and its become a battle of whether or not fraternaties are ok, and if the troll can get the last word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back