Whale Sashimi

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last night, I had whale sashimi for the very first time. I have to say, it was quite good. It kind of tasted like a cross between meat and fish, which makes a lot of sense since whales are mammals.

We've only been to one sushi place since we've moved here as its near our apartment, and reasonably priced. Also, the sushi chef seems to get a kick out of me. I think its because we both have a similair hair style (or lack thereof).
Just for fun, I gave him one of my newly created, bilingual Cheap Ass Gamer business cards. As Japanese culture dictates, the dude stared at like long and hard as if it was going to reveal the secret of life, the universe and everything.

whalesashimi.jpg

Sorry but that doesn't look at all appealing- especially first thing in the A.M. I'm glad you enjoyed it though. I'm sticking to California rolls and when I'm feeling adventurous maybe some tuna.

wow.. that's some dark meat. i would try it in a heartbeat though, if for no other reason than how i instantly fell in love with maguro tuna. i'm sure like a lot of people i was a little hesitant (many years back) with the raw fish but i can honestly say it's very likely my favorite food on earth now.

do you dip that badboy in some wasabi and soy or is their a special sauce with it.

[quote name='Kayden']Cheapy, can I come live in your closet?[/QUOTE]

I think its time you came out of it actually, I kid I kid

Well... now that you mention it, I have always found your Defend Your Castle high score very arousing... ;)

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I think its time you came out of it actually, I kid I kid[/QUOTE]

They must think you're a tourist. "look, he's taking pictures of his food"

since its a Japanese apartment, HE might be living in a closet (i know, i know)

since its a Japanese apartment, HE might be living in a closet (i know, i know)

Cheapy has this silly habbit of totally ignoring me when I ask to live with him. I wonder if he just forgets to come back to look at threads. :whistle2:k

[quote name='Kayden']Cheapy has this silly habbit of totally ignoring me when I ask to live with him. I wonder if he just forgets to come back to look at threads. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

No I think he's just creep out by that comment. He's probably in the restroom gagging right now.

[quote name='Rockman']No I think he's just creep out by that comment. He's probably in the restroom gagging right now.[/QUOTE]

At least he doesnt need anyone to hold his hair back. :lol:

Yummm Ch.
I don't think you can have it in USA...don't know for sure.

They banned import of beluga caviar to USA now. I have to call people on Brighton Beach to get some to Kansas. I can't be/live/sleep without caviar. :whistle2:s

[quote name='gladyfriend']that looks good. It didn't taste oily? I always imagined that whale meat would be oily due to the blubber.[/QUOTE]No, apparently this was from the whale back, which is not as fatty as meat from the whale tail.

[quote name='Skylander7']How much was it? I would imagine that whale would be fairly expensive.[/QUOTE]I'm not sure, but it was definitely less than $10.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']They must think you're a tourist. "look, he's taking pictures of his food"
since its a Japanese apartment, HE might be living in a closet (i know, i know)[/QUOTE]Nah, the sushi chefs at this place know that we live here. Also, the apartment is suprisingly bigger and nicer than our NYC apartment (and the same price).

[quote name='Kayden']Cheapy has this silly habbit of totally ignoring me when I ask to live with him. I wonder if he just forgets to come back to look at threads. [/QUOTE]Somebody hear the wind? ;)

[quote name='SteveMcQ']So what kind of whale is that from?[/QUOTE]

A dead one *rimshot*

I love Sashimi any type you throw in front of me however that just does not look all that great.

[quote name='zewone']I didn't know it was legal to eat whales, at least it shouldn't be. [/QUOTE] There's an International Whaling Commision that was set up in 1946 to regulate whaling, although it has no power to enforce its decisions. Among other things, it sets quotas for how many whales of a particular species could be killed and what waters are considered sanctuaries. In 1985 it imposed a moratorium on commercial whaling, although subsistence whaling (like by Eskimos and other native peoples) is allowed though limited and whales can be killed for scientific purposes.

I think Cheapy forgot to tell us that he was participating in a crucial research study by eating that sashimi.

[quote name='masha']Yummm Ch.
I don't think you can have it in USA...don't know for sure.

They banned import of beluga caviar to USA now. I have to call people on Brighton Beach to get some to Kansas. I can't be/live/sleep without caviar. :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

Once again, BKNY BROOKLYN RULES YOUR FACE

THAT whale sashimi looks good....I am a sushi freak so, would love to try that.

What about that blowfish that could kill you if its prepared wrong, Kiss of Death?

I REALLY WANT THAT

i still dunno about eating anything at least somewhat close to the intelligence of a human, thats why I stopped eating republicans.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']They must think you're a tourist. "look, he's taking pictures of his food"
[/QUOTE]
Honestly, EVERYONE here is a tourist. If there is ANYTHING of remote interest happining anywhere nearby, you can count on every person (tourist or Nihonjin) whipping out their cell phone and snapping away. Its just not a big deal here.

And I personally can't STAND Sashimi. I do like some kinds of sushi tho, ironically enough.

So how are you liking the used game market over here Cheapy?

Its incredible, ne? ;)

[quote name='Gameboy415']So how are you liking the used game market over here Cheapy?

Its incredible, ne? ;)[/QUOTE]Are you being sarcastic, cause I can't find jack shit at a decent price around here.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i still dunno about eating anything at least somewhat close to the intelligence of a human, thats why I stopped eating republicans.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i still dunno about eating anything at least somewhat close to the intelligence of a human, thats why I stopped eating republicans.[/QUOTE]

Zing!

[quote name='CheapyD']Are you being sarcastic, cause I can't find jack shit at a decent price around here.[/QUOTE]

Damn, seriously?

You should come out to Mie. You can find just about any Super Famicom/Saturn/DC/etc game complete for under 2000 yen (under $20ish)!

I got a BRAND NEW copy of Sin & Punishment for N64 for 680 Yen!
Also found a complete Tobal 2 for PS1 for 280 Yen (about $2!!!!)!

Have you been to Akihabara yet? I only had about an hour to look around after TGS, but I saw some decent deals there.

Oh, yeah...the games are cheap for old school systems. I thought you were referring to new stuff.
Yes, I have been to Akihabara, in fact, I live very close to there :)

Cheapy, can I come and stay with you and Mrs. Cheapy when I come visit Japan? I don't take much room. In fact, I can sleep standing up. You'll just have to point me to some of the good restaurants 'round town.

I've never had whale sushi but I'd love to try it. I did have cooked whale in a stew once. It was pretty good but that may or may not have been due to the other fish and seasonings in the stew itself. I did eat it all though....

bread's done
Back