Double Dragon, Altered Beast & Space Channel 5 (GBA) $14 each shipped at TRU/Amazon

It's $69.99 here...I really want this game =(

*Edit* Woo! It just changed to $9.99 before shipping & tax. Thanks OP!

Why exactly is the retail price $69.99?

After being mildy disappointed with River City Ransom after putting a whopping 10-minute bathroom session into it, I'm not so sure if I want to shell out $14 for this one now...then again, I do have a high level of history with Double Dragon. I think I'll procrastinate on this one for a few...

Damn, with S&H and tax for me, "Double Dragon" came out to $15.66. I suppose that's still a good deal after Price Grabber rebate. I've never done a PG rebate before, but now would be a good time for my first.

This game is pretty hard to find new for under $20, and I've only seen it at eb games a few times, so even with the high S&H, it's worth picking up.

I got "Space Channel 5" for GBA during the $4.99 Circuit City sale, and would say that's about all it's worth. It's extremely pixelated and the voices that made the Dreamcast version so good are not there. Worth $5, but not $10 + S&H in my opinion.

Thanks to the OP for the deal info and links!

Anyone on the fence about Double Dragon Advance don't be...It takes everything from the original and updates it a bit. There are some great moves added to the fighting system, some new enemies, and the overall art style of the game is updated. I was really worried I wouldn't find it after awhile but I managed to get a copy around $20. It was worth every penny. I am also a big fan of the original game so I was kind of unsure until I played it.

Thanks for the heads up, OP!

I remember stealing a roll of quarters from my dad's secret stash when I was 12 or 13, and I blew them all on the Double Dragon arcade machine down the street from where I lived. Ahh, I would love to own a DD arcade cabinet.....someday it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

Alrighty, I'm in. $15.50 Shipped, thanks OP!

But I'm drawing the line at Space Channel 5.

yeah, for the price of space channel 5 (or even less), you could get the ps2 edition with both games, which are nearly identical ports to the dreamcast originals

anyone looking for a portable version of space channel 5 would be better suited with that one level in feel the magic xy/xx

As, soon as I saw the topic on the front page, I bit... DD is getting hard to find, new even more so. and finding a legit copy, complete for less than 9.99 is unfathomable

I loved this game on the GBA. Probably one of my top ten favorite GBA games because it does such an excellent job of mixing the old with the new and the amount of moves and different ways you can approach fights is just great. Definately worth picking up if you like the genre, as IMO it pretty much outclasses everything else

[quote name='beguile']Sold about 40 copies within 12 hour period. Still have about 520 copies left.[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty cool trick, I've seen other CAGers do it too. Care to teach us the way?

EDIT: It wouldn't be "enter 999 into shopping cart and see how many are available" (515 as of now), would it? It couldn't be that simple, could it?

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I loved this game on the GBA. Probably one of my top ten favorite GBA games because it does such an excellent job of mixing the old with the new and the amount of moves and different ways you can approach fights is just great. Definately worth picking up if you like the genre, as IMO it pretty much outclasses everything else[/QUOTE]

not that I mind, because i still do it in the arcade version, but can you just use teh elbow for teh win?

Glad to see there's still love for this timeless game. ahh, the memories of fishing out quarters from my couch cushions just to play this game :) can't wait to give the green abobo another beat down!

added Altered Beast-- never tried it, maybe someone else can give a review

Thanks OP. I've been looking for a new copy of this game for a while. The best I was able to find was a used copy at Gamestop for $20. For some reason the stores in my area didn't stock this game at all when it came out, I guess no one thinks there's a market for 2-D beatem ups anymore. In fact in my area the local Best Buy and Circuit City sections for GBA are dwindling since they are making room for PSP, DS, and 360 on the floor. Only TRU and Target in my area had Super Gunstar Heroes when it came out. Anyway, Double Dragon was one of games on my list of GBA games to get. Now if I can only find a new copy of River City Ransom for GBA...

[quote name='Apossum']added Altered Beast-- never tried it, maybe someone else can give a review[/QUOTE]

I was pretty disappointed with Altered Beast on the GBA. It's pixelated, slow, and has some cheap enemies. I'm glad they tried to update the series, but this game was just not fun at all. Like Space Channel 5, it might be worth $5, but definitely not worth $10 to $14.

Looks like most people here agree that Double Dragon Advance is worth it. Ordered mine and should get it this week.

Mario golf advance was there really short. lol they only had one copy too so I didnt bother buying it cause I don't want to pay 14 shipped for it. Rather buy 2 and pay 24 shipped and sell the other one for 12.

[quote name='beguile']Mario golf advance was there really short. lol they only had one copy too so I didnt bother buying it cause I don't want to pay 14 shipped for it. Rather buy 2 and pay 24 shipped and sell the other one for 12.[/QUOTE]

They charge you $4.49 for each GBA game shipped, I think.

[quote name='smaaug']I bought both DD and Altered Beast and it was 5.48 for shipping.[/QUOTE]

I just put two Double Dragons in my cart and went through the shipping process for kicks and got this total with standard shipping:

Order Summary
Items: $19.98
Shipping & Handling: $8.98

Total Before Tax: $28.96
Estimated Tax:* $1.84

Order Total: $30.80

Anyway, Double Dragon was in my mailbox today (ordered minutes before the OP posted). Will crack it open during the weekend.

Just got around to opening mine-- WOW! This is how they should do all remakes. It's like every DD in one awesome game. It's tough and there's strategy to it too, which is awesome.

and BLUE ABOBOS WITH AFROS?! :shock: shit yeah!

I'm so tempted by this. I wish there was something else from TRU that I wanted to split the shipping. Unfortunately Pikmin 2 isn't available anymore.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I loved this game on the GBA. Probably one of my top ten favorite GBA games because it does such an excellent job of mixing the old with the new and the amount of moves and different ways you can approach fights is just great. Definately worth picking up if you like the genre, as IMO it pretty much outclasses everything else[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this mini-review, it sold me on it so I ordered one.

Got my Double Dragon Advance in the mail a few days ago and have to say it is definitely worth the $15 (including S&H). Brings back some good memories of the arcade. There's some new stuff added in and more moves, but the look and feel of the arcade version is still there. Great deal! If you're even considering getting it, now would be a good time since it's fairly cheap and seems like one of those titles destined to really go up in price later on.

I also wrote a Price Grabber review to get a rebate. It was my first time using it, and it kind of seems like a lot of trouble to go through just to save $5.00 8 to 10 weeks later.

I always thought this was rare. I just saw on Toysrus.com (through Amazon.com) Double Dragon Advance GBA for only 9.99. Looks like they have about 300 units, so maybe this is a reprint or something?

bread's done
Back