Japanese Xbox 360 Launch Eve - Feel the excitement!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
One month ago, I took some pictures at Toys R Us in Kameido Tokyo, highlighting the (lack of) demand of the Xbox 360 here in Japan.

Tonight, on the eve of the HUGE Japanese Xbox 360 Launch, the excitement has reached a fever pitch as I revisit the very same Toys R Us. With hot titles that scream Next-Gen, such as Tetris: The Grandmaster Ace and Every Party, it was amazing I was able to get unobstructed photos of the 360 section.

The 360 is no-longer relegated to the bottom shelf with all the other systems. It now has its own case...
360trucase.jpg

Oh, what's this? A Sony PSX on the bottom shelf? That's kind of strange, but surely that monstrosity won't steal the 360's thunder!

360tickets.jpg

Oops! It appears the Japanese have forgotten to pre-order their 360's!
How are they going to gouge their fellow citizens on eBay Japan?

Maybe the PSX is the eBay rape item de jour here as there is only one ticket left!
psxticket.jpg

Well, at least the 360 finally has a playable kiosk at this store. I'm not sure if you can make out the display with all the people crowded around it. You'll just have to trust me that it sure looks Next-Gen compared to its board game neighbor!
360trudisplay.jpg

Oh my god! The Japanese have completely looted the store of all the Xbox 360 games and accessories! Oh wait, the store employees haven't bothered to stock the shelves. The hundreds of gamers camping out outside the store are sure going to be pissed!

360trushelf.jpg

As you can see, I risked life and limb to bring you this exciting report on the eve of the Japanese Xbox 360 launch. Tune in tomorrow for more scenes of mass hysteria.

Very nice. I'm glad to see that production time used to make the Japanese units isn't going to waste. We have far too many units in the US anyway.

:rofl: I think cheapy should stick these on ebay and see how many people will pay $1,000 bucks for a Japanese 360

Japanezze 360 teh r uber rare

[quote name='CheapyD']The 360 is 39,699 Yen ($329 US).
The Sony PSX (one ticket left) is priced at 49,800 Yen.[/QUOTE]

I remember that. Isn't that the one that has the DVD burner? Can it do stuff similar to the Net Yaroze or am I way off base?

I'm pretty pissed off that all the units they are holding for Japan are being wasted when they could be here. Thanks for the pics Cheapy.

[quote name='zewone']I'm pretty pissed off that all the units they are holding for Japan are being wasted when they could be here. Thanks for the pics Cheapy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think Microsoft should of just sent 30,000 units plus whatever number of pre-orders they got and focus production on North America and Europe where it will sell.

[quote name='Scorch']I remember that. Isn't that the one that has the DVD burner? Can it do stuff similar to the Net Yaroze or am I way off base?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's the all in one media center PSX.

[quote name='Apossum']http://onthexbox.com/?view=article&article=489&cat=3

Cheapy's probably out getting paid by MS to line up for a 360 photo op right about now :lol:[/QUOTE]

Way to kill the sarcasm.

Honestly though, I'd like to know the numbers for the Japanese launch... which shouldn't take longer than next week since Japanese sales are tracked so well (and no, this isn't sarcasm in case you were interested).

Bummer. I'm really pulling for the 360 to succeed. It's doing great here and in Europe, though...

[quote name='joevan']I see headlines now:
"Big white bald Godzilla ruin 360 launch!"[/QUOTE]:rofl:
Cheapy's very presence scared all of the potential buyers away

[quote name='peteyrose']Japan loves (to get paid to love) the 360! :D[/QUOTE]

Corrected :lol:

I am convinced that MS has paid all those people to be there, just to generate hype. Hey, if they're willing to lose billions on a product just so that they might rule the market 20 years from now, they'll pay Japanese to love their system.

Cheapy--please confirm or deny my conspiracy theory ;)

[quote name='ananag112']OMG. I found a pic of someone playing the Xbox 360 in Japan:

DSC03376.jpg

he must be confused. (probably thinks its a store directory)

[quote name='ananag112']OMG. I found a pic of someone playing the Xbox 360 in Japan:

And it seems that someone bought one. Is this the same store CheapyD?

[/QUOTE] Heh...thats a different TRU then the one I was at.

Ouch, from the-magicbox.com

- Famitsu reported that Microsoft sold 62,135 units of Xbox 360 in Japan during the first two days of launch between December 10 and 11. Microsoft shipped a total of 159,000 units of Xbox 360 at launch, 39% were sold through.

- Here are the top 3 best selling Xbox 360 titles in Japan during the first two days of launch.

1. Ridge Racer 6 (Namco) - 29,891 units
2. Perfect Dark Zero (Microsoft) - 14,897 units
3. Need for Speed: Most Wanted (EA) - 6,842 units

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']Wow, the PSX is real.

Does it play US games Cheapy? Are you planning to get one?[/QUOTE]Not sure if it plays US games or not, but my guess is that I need that thing like I need a third nipple.

Seems like theres something to do around every corner in Japan, unlike USA where we have to drive everywhere. Probably just from it being a big city. How does Japan compare to NY? I'm guessing its a little cleaner and safer. Maybe thats the reason why everyone in NY seem to be assholes, while the people in Japan are always happy and hyper over anything. I saw this 1up video and this guy had like the best day of his life because he got a tin badge from this Xbox 360 vending machine.

bread's done
Back