Official Bull Moose Music thread! [Bull Moose last post: 07/08/09!]

• Please log in to reply
507 replies to this topic

#31 goatindaruffness

goatindaruffness

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:39 PM

Why don't you people get a job, and then use that money to buy video games, instead of penny pinching every cent you can get, especially out of smaller stores...
-Goatman

"I Have A Trig Midterm Tomorrow And I'm Being Chased By GUIDO THE KILLER PIMP!!"
"WE GOT BUSH!!!"

#32 acolyte

acolyte

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:34 PM

Why don't you people get a job, and then use that money to buy video games, instead of penny pinching every cent you can get, especially out of smaller stores...
-Goatman

Well, with taxes being what they are, the only real industries being healthcare and tourism, and this site being cheapassgamer, it's to Bull Moose's credit that it's taking Mainers' interests to heart.

#33 alonzomourning23

alonzomourning23

all my heroes are dead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:39 PM

-Goatman

Have you even looked at the average debt people have? Hell, college students average over 3k (not counting tuition). If people can buy 5 game for 70 or 5 games for 250 that, and continued savings, can play a significant role for those of us who don't make 6 figures. Everything adds up. I make less than most of my friends but I can buy more and am one of the ones who always has something to spend, it's not that odd for me to hear "oh, I can't go to X tonight cause I spent all my money".
My guide/game tradelist - Free guides (just pay shipping), updated May, 17th, 2006

What CAG'ers have to say about alonzomourning23:

Pittsburghafterdark- "representative of liberalism as a mental disorder"
Bmulligan- "nancyboy", "college bumpkin"
Camoor- "happy-head weenie", "morally bankrupt"

#34 3QGojo

3QGojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:51 AM

-Goatman

Are you serious? Please don't assume some of us don't even have a job because we don't like to pay full price on videogames (regardless of whether or not we're buying from a local business or not). In fact I have a job and I'm finishing up my last semester of college. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to pay $100 for 2 brand new games when I could pay $100 for lets say 4 or 5 brand new videogames. In fact that would just be idiotic to waste money like that. We can only make suggestions to Bull Moose on here and they can choose whether or not they want to implement those changes. Considering a lot of the used items are overpriced as it stands right now it would only make sense for Bull Moose to change some of their prices. Please think before you post next time. :)

#35 3QGojo

3QGojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:41 AM

Any updates yet?

#36 3QGojo

3QGojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:53 AM

Snagged a used/like new copy of Dinotopia (XB) at the Bull Moose in Scarborough for $7.97 + tax. It'll be good trade fodder for wherehouse.com for a quick $20. :)

#37 3QGojo

3QGojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:20 AM

Where did the Bull Moose Music guy go? Come back to us! :(

Give us updates!

#38 n8littlefield

n8littlefield

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:45 PM

Quick BullMoose story - I went to the one in Lewiston recently to browse around and noticed a few of their DS games were pretty cheap. So - I grabbed Sonic Rush for 19.99 (normally 29.99) and Battles of Prince of Persia for 18.99 (normally 39.99). I got them to the register and he's like "this ring up higher, but no problem you get them for the cheaper price". I got them home and realized the sticker on Sonic was for Mario Sunshine and the one on Prince of Persia was for Elf Bowling. Apparently whoever did the pricing on their DS had been a bit off...
Posted Image

#39 3QGojo

3QGojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:45 PM

I've seen this as well, at my Bull Moose they have the newest Spung Bob game for the price of the newest Tony Hawk game...in fact the sticker says Tony Hawk and then the price.

This also happened when I bought my copy of Dinotopia (see above post), as there were two copies and one was marked at $14.97 and had the name Dinotopia on it and the other was marked at $7.97 and had a generic label on it of: used dvd/dvd. So someone is mislabeling stuff all the time to make it either cheaper or more expensive.

EDIT: This was the Bull Moose in Scarborough, ME.

#40 n8littlefield

n8littlefield

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:57 PM

Does Scarborough carry anything older than PSone anymore? I know at one point they were taking in at least back to SNES and I was thinking about checking them this weekend for older games.
Posted Image

#41 3QGojo

3QGojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:28 PM

Yea, they have SNES, GENESIS, DREAMCAST, N64, even some SEGA CD and Atari games.

#42 3QGojo

3QGojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:31 AM

Needed a GC controllor in a pinch tonight because my other one stopped working...Bull Moose is open till 11pm (everywhere else was closed) and I picked up a Madcatz micro controller for $12.94 and used my points (I had 15 points) and I got the controller for $6.47. :)

Not bad considering I was desperate and I got a controller for under $7 in a pinch. But now I only have 2 points left so I gotta kinda start over. :(

#43 brewin

brewin

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:57 AM

What happened to the price matching? I used to walk in with BB or CC ads from this site and get the ad price no problem. Now they wont PM at all!

#44 3QGojo

3QGojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:59 PM

Dunno, I still haven't tried PM'ing at Bull Moose because there hasn't been anything worthwhile yet for me.

#45 n8littlefield

n8littlefield

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:43 AM

Yea, they have SNES, GENESIS, DREAMCAST, N64, even some SEGA CD and Atari games.

Well, I guess I'm hitting there next weekend. I only really actively collect Atari and NES for older stuff - I'll be in Westbrook next weekend for a nieces birthday party - guess I'll hit the flea market at Pride's Corner and maybe Bullmoose.

Anyone know if Circuit City in S. Portland has anything good from the clearance sale left?
Posted Image

#46 3QGojo

3QGojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:53 AM

Didn't see much last time I went to CC, and Bull Moose also has NES games as well.

#47 n8littlefield

n8littlefield

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:23 PM

Well, I guess I'll hit BullMoose on Saturday. I have enough points to get something up to like $16 half off, so maybe I can find a neat NES game there...
Posted Image

#48 3QGojo

3QGojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

You could hit up CC and Bull Moose, they're so close to each other on that strip it's easy to hit both right in a row. :)

#49 n8littlefield

n8littlefield

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:51 PM

That's true - that way I can check out the laptops at CC as well. I wish my Bullmoose carried retro games!
Posted Image

#50 3QGojo

3QGojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:58 AM

I'm wondering where the Bull Moose Music guy went to? I'm still waiting for the prices on the games to be adjusted so I can go and grab some more games. :)

#51 3QGojo

3QGojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:08 AM

I remember seeing this article awhile ago:

http://entertainment...0916qanda.shtml

and I was wondering if the Brett from Bull Moose Music that was posting on this site was the same Brett from the article? If so, then it's very cool to see an owner so involved with the gaming community. :)

#52 3QGojo

3QGojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:09 PM

Anyone go to Bull Moose recently?

#53 n8littlefield

n8littlefield

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:04 PM

Anyone go to Bull Moose recently?

Just went to the Scarborough one on Saturday looking for classic games. Their Atari 2600 stuff is ridiculously expensive ($6 for common games!!) and the NES stuff was pretty limited, but priced much more fairly. I ended up leaving with a PS2 game instead. They had Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition for $15, and I had enough points on my card that I could get it for half off. So, 7.50ish and I picked it up.
Posted Image

#54 3QGojo

3QGojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:16 AM

Cool beans man! :)

#55 ajumbaje

ajumbaje

West Coast born East Coast raised

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:42 AM

pretty interesting that even though they probably didnt name the store after this, the bull moose party was the party that theodore roosevelt ran for against taft back in 1912. That would be pretty interesting if we see a Populist gaming inc. or Eugene Debs gaming co. I know, I'm a history nerd, but hey, it would be interesting.

San Diego Padres...Let's keep the good things we have...trading Gregerson goes against that!
San Diego Chargers...It's New!! The Chargers are ALIVE!
Boston Celtics...we won it back in 08, I'm satisfied
Vancouver Canucks. yayy division realignment.

#56 3QGojo

3QGojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:45 PM

I never knew any of that, I guess we could ask the Bull Moose guy if he ever comes back!

#57 dark-star

dark-star

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:41 PM

pretty interesting that even though they probably didnt name the store after this, the bull moose party was the party that theodore roosevelt ran for against taft back in 1912. That would be pretty interesting if we see a Populist gaming inc. or Eugene Debs gaming co. I know, I'm a history nerd, but hey, it would be interesting.

LOL! I had never heard of Bull Moose Music before this thread, but when I first saw the title, Teddy Roosevelt's name popped into my head and I thought "Weird, naming a store after a defunct political party that barely 1 in 10 people would remember from their history classes"....then I saw they were from Maine and it all made perfect sense! :)

#58 3QGojo

3QGojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:06 AM

Anyone else have any comments on the stores name?

Maybe this is where it came from or maybe from something else?

Thoughts?

#59 Bull Moose

Bull Moose

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:34 PM

When my school paper did a story on the store, the reporter said "I know why you named the store Bull Moose" and I said "really?".. She said "yeah, Teddy Roosevelt formed the Bull Moose party when he got sick of the other political parties screwing around, so you named it Bull Moose to signify that you were a new kind of store - one that doesn't screw around". Since that was so much better than the actual reason I named it Bull Moose, I said "oh, sure, you got it.". That 'fake' story behind the name ran in a number of different articles on the store as the 'real' reason behind the name.

The real reason is embarrassing at this point. I ran track and cross country in college and "Bull Moose" was the name of a running club that was so deep and intellectual that you joined by pounding a Rolling Rock beer out of your non-dominant hand and giving a current member a nickel. From that point forward you had to drink all alcoholic beverages out of your non-dominant hand or if caught in the wrong hand you would have to pound it. To anyone who owns something with our original logo on it (unlikely as there are only a couple dozen out there) if you look closely at the moose on it, the moose is wearing track spikes. So, now you know the real story!

#60 Bull Moose

Bull Moose

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:38 PM

Sorry the lack of updates - I was at a conference (a yawner, let me tell you) and then I caught the flu on the way back... I'll drop you an update within a couple of days when I feel better.

I'm wondering where the Bull Moose Music guy went to? I'm still waiting for the prices on the games to be adjusted so I can go and grab some more games. :)