Skies of Arcadia.. the worst game in existence?

OkeSmokey21

CAGiversary!
I'm a pretty big RPG fan and I saw that Skies got a great rating, so naturally I bought the game. I''m about 3 hours into the game and I think its the most god awful game next to State of Emegency. here are my grades for various components

Graphics A-
Sound F
Gameplay F- (I like my gameplay to be a little more comlplicated)
Storyline F+ ( I'm not a six year old, so I don't enjoy it)

Overall : F this game

I realize I'm still near the beginning of the game and if it gets 10,000 % better than I apologize for being hasty. Personally, this game does not even come close to RPGs like Xenosaga and Kingdom Hearts ( Yes, I know the storyline to KH is the furthest away from Mature, but its still awesome) .
What does everyone else think of this "gem" of a game?

Starts off slow...than slow...and then picks up really friggin fast. Only being 3 hours into is barely scratching the surface. keep going, it gets MUCH better

You suck*.

Some people rate the Dreamcast version on par with Grandia 2.

The Eternal Arcadia soundtrack certainly contains quality music. I can still hear the theme in my head 2 years after playing it.

Let's see you complain about the gameplay after you get your own ****, and even later when you get to build your own ****, recruit all the **** ******* and find all the ***********, and raise *****. (edited for spoilage)

The storyline is pretty much the same as half the RPGs - travel, fight, save. But it has a certain charm.

* intended as constructive criticism - don't get angry.

I put on at least 40 hours on this game, looking for discoveries and doing the extra stuff (Crew recruiting , Moon Stone) .. This is one of my favorite RPGs .. this game is way better than Xenosaga, cant compare it to Kingdom Hearts since its an Action/RPG.

Way to support your opinion on 3 hours of gameplay. I think it took me over 40 hours to beat the thing, including all the discoveries. While there are some things that could have been better (shocked me you gave the graphics a high ranking) The story (get this) progresses after 3 hours. Not a bad rpg at all, better than that FF:crystal chronicles any day.

I'm not the RPG type but Skies of Arcadia is great, great game. In fact, I think I'll go play it again, time to bust out the Dreamcast \:D/

Yah man, ur being waaaaaaay to hasty w/ your opinion. When I started playing it, I thought it was like every other RPG. But man, there's nothing quite as awesome as building your own crew and becoming a legendary pirate. It became my number 3 fav game of all time (I absolutly loved the story and the SP idea of combat. Only thing i didn't like were the MASSIVE amount of encoutners at times)

What's a game you'd say has a great storyline? By now, everything is trite. Play it for the fun and epic feel of the battles. Especially when you get towards the end, the ship battles feel massive. It was probably my favorite RPG experience of the current generation. I bought it for Dreamcast, then got it again for the GC after someone borrowed and lost my DC copy. Played it twice, and this is the only RPG of this generation I could say that for. In fact, it's one of five that I've ever played multiple times, the others being Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dragon Force, Shining Force 2 and Shining Force 3

Also, you think Xenogears has a faster story? I thought that game had the worst story ever and it was a downright chore for me to play for the first 20 hours. After that, the story became awesome and I started enjoying the game. And Kingdom Hearts had better gameplay? I'd have to disagree there. As it is, I feel traditional RPGs have pretty horrid gameplay which is usually overcompensated for with a complicated story, but I found this game to be a rather enjoyable experience just as much as I found it to be a lighthearted, fun story.

[quote name='Alpha2']you know even if your grades were based on more than 3 hours of gameplay, they still wouldnt average out to an F.[/quote]

This is the first thing I looked at. Hard to think you've got a valid arguement if you average those grades to be a "F". Dumbass.

Slow down Hasty Hasterson. Sure, there aren't 40 minute long cutscenes like Xenosaga, (honestly, I found that game not nearly as complex and interesting as other rpgs, much less Skies). Just keep playing it. Give it a chance.

Played it, beat it, love it.

It changes after 3 hours, oh yes. It changes a LOT. And the story gets wonderful. It's one of the few 40+ hour games I don't mind playing again, and again. In fact, I only have two complaints with my Dreamcast version:
1. TOO MANY RANDOM ENCOUNTERS.
2. This is only a problem with MY game, but... it freezes. A lot. After an hour of not saving (because I COULDN'T because of said encounters), it gets frustrating.

You know you letters wow!

I heard the story is the best part, so maybe only 6 year olds don't enjoy it.

I played relatively far into the game, but the random encounters were frustrating as hell. I just got bored after a while. One day when I have some more time, I'll pick it up again and try to beat it.

Indeed, 3 hours into SoA you haven't done crap yet. Gameplay concepts are still being introduced, and the storyline hasn't even begun to be fleshed out.

As far as Dreamcast RPGs go, its about the best out there.

Agreed.
The random battles and distance between save points got to where I wanted to throw the controller across the room because I wanted to go to bed or something--*but I kept playing. And finished it.* that says something.
SoA, I think, is the RPG that does the best at making you feel an emotion. Throughout the game I felt Vyse et al's desire to see the 'wide open spaces', and infectious optimism, and just general good-feelingness. No other game came close. Plus, it was a very pretty game.
Every time I thought I had seen everything the game had to offer, it offered something new.
If the random battles were toned down a bit in rate of occurrence, it would get a 11/10 from me. As it is, thinking back, it gets a 9/10, and that's only because I don't think I've ever seen a 'perfect' game.

"Storyline D- ( I'm not a six year old, so I don't enjoy it)"

That's funny coming from somebody with a DBZ avatar.

Like anyone should take the Xenogamers contengient seriously.

Never played SoA. I'm afraid to drop the $15 only to find out it's overrated like oot, and ff7, which everyone recommended

[quote name='eldad9']Let's see you complain about the gameplay after you get your own ****, and even later when you get to build your own ****, recruit all the **** ******* and find all the ***********, and raise *****. (edited for spoilage)[/quote]

And you kiss your mother with that mouth! :shock:

I loved the storyline in this game. Wait until you get into the good ship... forget the name. Its awesome and you can upgrade the crap out of it. Recruiting members increases the power of your ship and what items are available in your city. There was also something to do with how you answered questions given to you throughout the game and depending on how you answer is the title you receive in the end. As for graphics, it is a port of a Dreamcast game and were awesome at that time. Things have gotten better, but the graphics are still nice. The side missions are fun as well.

I'd give this game an "A" rating any day. I'm a Xenosaga fan as well, but Skies is much better. I hated Kingdom Hearts, but I hate Disney too, so that's probably why... not to mention the main character is a joke. As for spending 3 hours on an RPG to evaluate it... I think you need to give it more time. Personally, I spend more time than that just leveling my characters early in the game.

Maybe its just not for you. As for the rating you give the game, you're entitled to your opinion. The vast majority of gamers would highly disagree with you however.

[quote name='sillycon']"Storyline D- ( I'm not a six year old, so I don't enjoy it)"

That's funny coming from somebody with a DBZ avatar.[/quote]

And, who in the next sentence indicated that he liked Kingdom Hearts, which has a story that, while endearing to my three year old cousins, bored me to tears.

Well basically if you've played any NES RPG then you've seen a better story than Skies of Arcadia, but the characters (despite being happy and optomistic at all times) and ship battles make the game worth a play.

(as for metrosexual Square Enix heroes, 5 of 13 Final Fantasies have had one, 0 out of 8 Dragon Warriors/Quests have had one, 0 out of 2 Chrono games had one, and 1 out of 4 Mana games had one. So wtf are you talking about?)

your cracked. you cant rate this game on 3 hours of play time. SOA is a classic on any system.

you give this game an F, but you put your kneepads on when your talking about kingdom hearts.

cracked.

I never played this game because I heard there were a frustratingly enormous amount of random encounters on the DC, and it was never fixed on the GC. Other than that I heard it was awesome, but I hate when random encounters are so frequent they get in the way of exploring.

Anyone have any comments on this whether it's true or not?

I also stopped playing Legaia 2 for that exact problem, so if you want to gauge my tolerance for random encounters on that.

I played like 10 hours of the game when it first came out for Dreamcast, and I wasn't feeling it. I perfered Grandia 2 over SoA. It wasn't bad, but I think it's over-rated.

My biggest grip is the simplistic combat and the way the camera zooms all the damn time. It gets really annoying after 2 battles. The ship battles were cool, but not that great. I did like the charaters designs alot so I'll give it that.

[quote name='Vajra']I never played this game because I heard there were a frustratingly enormous amount of random encounters on the DC, and it was never fixed on the GC. Other than that I heard it was awesome, but I hate when random encounters are so frequent they get in the way of exploring.

Anyone have any comments on this whether it's true or not?[/quote]

No, they fixed it, though the encounter rate is still high. It was a plauge in the DC version, while just a nusence (god i wish i could spell) on the GC

3 hours... Have you passed the intro screen yet?

Now, you not liking the game after a short time I'd let slide, because some people don't know that a lot of these games start out slow. And RPG's aren't for everyone. But declaring it the worst video game ever? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Its literally one of the top 5, and maybe top 3, Dreamcast games ever made. And the GC remake is an improvement.

I notice you haven't posted here since then. Not surprising.

[quote name='eldad9']You suck*.

Some people rate the Dreamcast version on par with Grandia 2.

The Eternal Arcadia soundtrack certainly contains quality music. I can still hear the theme in my head 2 years after playing it.

Let's see you complain about the gameplay after you get your own ****, and even later when you get to build your own ****, recruit all the **** ******* and find all the ***********, and raise *****. (edited for spoilage)

The storyline is pretty much the same as half the RPGs - travel, fight, save. But it has a certain charm.

* intended as constructive criticism - don't get angry.[/quote]

oh yea huh! i loved spending time raising my ***** for the **** and to get all of the *********** to **** and ****** ** **** ** ** ******* *** *. *** ****** * *****, **** right?! remember taht?

I am playing this game rite now!!

I have been playing it since like february or march or something...

I didnt play much since the game was so boring and slow...

but once u get your own ship, everything changes. it gets SO much better

now I play it a lot more, I wanna beat it by next week!

The storyline isn't really in depth, or meant to be, as far as I can tell. It's a light hearted, fun game (Cough, Kingdom Hearts).

Nice job judging a book by its cover - I'm shocked you didn't see the Disney logo on Kingdom Hearts and run screaming.

[quote name='punqsux']its sad when people make topics like these for attention...so so sad...[/quote]

its sad when people take time to comment on topics they don't find intresting for attention...so so sad...

[quote name='punqsux']its sad when people take time to comment on others sad comments...so so sad[/quote]

Last word, I'm winning!!!

haha lock a thread because of 2 or 3 posts, posted for fun? its not like we're having some huge flame war or something. there have been over 40 posts and id say more then 35 have been nothing but on topic, even my first post was on topic!

whats with mod's being lock happy? (hows THAT for off topic)
last word!

Yeah guys, stay on topic and continue bashing the crap out of OkeSmokey21 for being such a dumbass.

What is it with you guys... such immaturity.

bread's done
Back