Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox/PC)

SS4Brolly

CAGiversary!
OPEN FOR DISCUSSION

220997.gif

This game is getting Xbox Game of the Year by just about everybody. Best Star Wars game ever?

I kinda thought it sucked. I normally love these types of games but it took me 3+ hours to get off the first planet

KOTOR is flawless. It is the first game that i have ever played to make me not sleep for days.
I literally had to fight with myself to go to sleep.
The game gave me severe headaches because of this.
I beat it in 33 hours which is the fastest time posted and i dont know how many times i left for bathroom breaks while leaving the game on.
Its TOO good. If anybody second guesses purchasing this game they are nuts.
I love unique games and this game is just that.

Spiritseed i actually am just like you. i am impatient for RPG's. I hate doing B/S battles to level up a character. But in this game it's mission objectives that give exp.
I love this.
It does take forever to get off the planets but for me it didnt matter. The story line sucked me in. especially since you choose what to say.
this is their little way of keeping you active during boring speeches.
But it also makes you feel a part of it too.
when i finally reached the last stage, I was actually pumped up when i fought all the dark jedi.
maybe im a little to excited about this game, but it sure deserves it.

It's certainly a tough game. And I thought it was a little glitchy for the xbox, at least the first run versions. Still, once you get past those 2 things it is a good rpg and an even better Star Wars game. Personally, I thought the game had the best storyline of any Star Wars game out there, maybe even better than the last couple movies.

I actually purchased this game the day it came out, and I never really had too much trouble with bugs and such. It was an extremely fun game, especially when you had lightsabers and fancy force chokes and such... I beat it in a little under 26 hours.

I would agree that this was probably the best game for XBOX to come out this year. It was well-balanced, had great graphics, and a lot of options for customizing your party (9 different characters, 1-3 at a time, different weapons, and mods...). All in all, a great game.

How is the fighting system is it turn based or is it like an action adventure zelda rpg.....can u help me with this i want to know cuz i want to play this game so if anyone can give more detail on this it would help thx a lot

It's turned based fighting so it's like you hit then they hit then you hit. This is one of the reasons I didn't like it.

Its kindof a prototype between turn-based and active.
it's literally active/turn-based.
you can keep it active if you like but i prefer to run in pause set up a combo ( each character gets to line up 4 moves) with each character and watch me anhialate everyone. and if it gets close, pause again use some items. It's pretty unique. I agree that i didn't like it at first. It wasn't til i ended up on like the 3rd planet that i realized how useful it was. the game pits you against what seems to be ompossible odds. I won't list them cuz i dont wanna ruin it.

[quote name='Spiritseed']I kinda thought it sucked. I normally love these types of games but it took me 3+ hours to get off the first planet[/quote]

This comment? Straight dumb. what kind of sense does that make? "It took me 3+ hours to get off the first planet." That's not even logical. you didn't like it because it had a lot of content? hello?

not having an xbox I was considering going more in the hole to get this but then they released if for the PC and I ran out and got it, and proceded to play almost non-stop until I beat it, it is a great game and I highly recommend it to anyone with either a pc or xbox

i beat it on the darkside on the xbox, and recently picked up the pc version to beat the lightside. Overall its one of the best star wars game of all time and ranks up there with my top 10 of all time. Pick up this game today for xbox or pc if you haven't already.

Its easily the finest Star Wars game to date. Coming off of SWG, this is what the franchise needed to show gamers ''yeah, we still know how to make them good''.

Excluding the bugs and the lack of promised content, it was an amazing title. I feared the game would play too heavy on the Jedi role, but being you're not a Jedi for about the first 1/4 of the game...it was no problem.

And while its still Extended Universe, thus can not stand alone next to the movies when discussing elements of the PT, OT, and other possible sequels, it did add a nice touch to flesh out the Sand People's background, etc.

Bravo Bioware.

Easily the best Star Wars game out there. The PC version has sucked me in like nothing else. BG2, NVN, etc. are all fine and great but they don't have the pace of this baby. The fights feel fun, not like a chore. Your either badass enough to totally rip through everyone and feel sweet about it or finally take down that boss after 5 trys and feel equally pleased. The story is so great (I'm not going to spoil anything, those who've played it know what I'm talking about) and theres so much extra stuff I've never seen in a movie or book (and I've read quite a few of them). Ported wise, this game is perfect. It feels like it was made for the PC and just feels natural. While it is a bit short (so far I've only got one or two more places to visit and I have about 11 hours on it), it doesn't have any filler. Not quite sure what that guy above was saying taking 3 hours to get off of the first planet (Tarius I assume?), it only took me about :30-2 hours to get off of it with most quests done.

Pick it up!

THIS GAME BITES THE BIG ONE MAJORLY!!!!!!!
I recently borrowed this piece of crap that some people call a good game from my neighbour and was very dissapointed at how crappy and annoying it was. Everytime you go into a battle it asks you questions about proceeding and which weapon to use and shit, this sucks donkey nuts. An action game shouldn't have this because it slows down the main point of the game (which is action).

I myself liked the Jedi Knight one MUCH better.

I borrowed KOTOR for PC from my friend and I have even installed it yet. I'm not really a Star Wars nut or whatever they call themselves these days but I can't really get myself excited about it. I know its made by the same people that made Baldur's Gate which I like but the Star Wars aspect is sort of a turn off.

[quote name='noxious_locust']THIS GAME BITES THE BIG ONE MAJORLY!!!!!!!
I recently borrowed this piece of crap that some people call a good game from my neighbour and was very dissapointed at how crappy and annoying it was. Everytime you go into a battle it asks you questions about proceeding and which weapon to use and shit, this sucks donkey nuts. An action game shouldn't have this because it slows down the main point of the game (which is action).

I myself liked the Jedi Knight one MUCH better.[/quote]

Umm, who told you it was supposed to be an action game?

Maybe it has that because its a RPG and NOT an action game. Yes, tjere is a alot of action and fights in the game, but no where on the box or in reviews have I ever seen someone call this an action game. I wouldn't even say the main point is action, I'd say the point of the game lies more in story and character interaction. It's everyone's own opinion to like or dislike RPGs (I'm not even a big fan of them all myself), but I think it's unfair to call a game awful and give it such bad marks just because you don't like the genre it's in.

Any fan of RPGs, Star Wars, or, you know...GREAT GAMES is sure to love KotOR. Anyone who doesn't belong to any of the above three categories need not apply.

I loved this game. The story was really enjoyable and I found myself just wanting to finish off the next section to see where the story would lead. Even the side missions are nicely fleshed out. I think the fact that it is fully voiced also adds a heck of a lot to the immersion factor. And you just can't beat having the true-to-the-movies light saber swooshes, droid beeps, etc.

It's also a cool game to show off/have fun with surround sound. As you talk to a bystander and (when he starts to reply) walk away from him and his voice will move from the front speakers around to the rear. Not anything Earth shattering, but I got a kick out of it.

I finished this one a few weeks ago and plan to pick it up at some point in the future to see how the game plays out when you go the evil path.

And as far as best SW game ever... I guess I'd say yes (Though I haven't played them all LOL) But that side scrolling SW game for the SNES was great and Dark Forces (or whatever that PC FPS game from 5 or so years ago is called) is also a good one.

my only problem was once I blew through the light side(I was literally playing like 10 hours a day with the game). I tried to play the dark side and could not get off Taris

Good game , but I felt games like Rainbow Six 3(PC) were slightly better only because it had a much high replay value for me personally

I would put it up there in the top 5 games of last year though

not all that great battle system. story was very nice though. if you play this game and you can't sleep you know your an obsessed, obese, star wars nerd.

WORST EPISODE EVER!

damn. 33 hours for the light side and I wanted more. It was all I could think about for days. Undoubtedly the best Star Wars game I've ever played. And one of the finest RPGs ever as well.

still playing though it....male darkside...working on getting the third star map...i seem to play it off and on every few weeks but i like it much more then i though ti would ever like it...and i agree..it is the best SW game so far

I procrastinated on getting my xbox so I could get it free with my best buy reward dollars. They finally came and I got my xbox completing the holy trinity of gaming. Finally, I have all 3 systems and bought only halo with it. Yesterday I got KOTOR and I am speechless. This is definetly the best star wars game ever and ranks in my top 5. With halo 2 on the way and fable, I think I'm going to have to quit my job.

council chair for the equality of the three systems

I'm playing through on the dark side and am not as excited as I was...I haven't even gotten a second star map yet. I'm not sure if the light side was more interesting, or it's just not as fun the second time through.

Most likely the latter, since the game's strong point is its story, in my opinion. So it lessens the replayability. One of its blessings is also a curse.

KotOR is great. Once again Bioware shows off what a great development studio it is. I cant wait to get KotOR 2 (even though its not made by Bioware).
Ive only had one play through so far, about 30 hours as a light side character. Sometime this summer Im going to play as a dark side character.

It really depends on which dark side powers you decide to go with , dominate mind caused some pretty funny conversations to happen , besides if you haven't even gotten a second star map then you have plenty of time to really be evil.

This is the only Star Wars game I liked since Dark Forces 1&2. The story pulled me in - especially when talking to the other characters on the Ebon Hawk and learning about their pasts. The characters themselves were diversified and dynamic (mostly). Sure Canderous is always ruthless and Carth always whines like a baby, but Jolee made a good "father" figure, and Mission made a great kid, though I didn't use her after I got into the Vulkar Base. They had emotions and lives that went on outside of the storyline, and gave the universe a little more reality.
The story was good, though pretty predictable, and straightforward.
The last Star Wars game I played before that was Jedi Starfighter, and that game was really bad. Gameplay, controls, story, everything bad.
But for KOTOR I'll go with best Star Wars game - it was fun and kept me, a casual gamer, addicted.

[quote name='rickybee2003']KOTOR is flawless. It is the first game that i have ever played to make me not sleep for days.
I literally had to fight with myself to go to sleep.
The game gave me severe headaches because of this.
I beat it in 33 hours which is the fastest time posted and i dont know how many times i left for bathroom breaks while leaving the game on.
Its TOO good. If anybody second guesses purchasing this game they are nuts.
I love unique games and this game is just that.[/quote]

Fastest posted WHERE exactly? I just finished the light side about an hour ago, clocked in under 31 hours.

Back on topic, this game really sucked me in, though I must say it was much more fun and felt more fast-paced on the dark side (which I lost my save for just after Dantooine), not to mention that you always have to be so damn talkative with people when you're the good guy. I had to fight with myself to NOT force persuade these people to do stuff so that I didn't have to ask them dumb questions. This was probably the coolest part of the game: making you choose how to address how things are done, and not necessarily what the end result is. Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.

KOTOR also gets the award for best use of force powers in a video game since Vader chokes out the defecting Admiral in Tie Fighter. Goddamn Tie Fighter was a good game. Screw KOTOR 2... WHERE'S MY TIE FIGHTER?

[quote name='Aaron']This is the only Star Wars game I liked since Dark Forces 1&2. The story pulled me in - especially when talking to the other characters on the Ebon Hawk and learning about their pasts. The characters themselves were diversified and dynamic (mostly). Sure Canderous is always ruthless and Carth always whines like a baby, but Jolee made a good "father" figure, and Mission made a great kid, though I didn't use her after I got into the Vulkar Base. They had emotions and lives that went on outside of the storyline, and gave the universe a little more reality.
The story was good, though pretty predictable, and straightforward.
The last Star Wars game I played before that was Jedi Starfighter, and that game was really bad. Gameplay, controls, story, everything bad.
But for KOTOR I'll go with best Star Wars game - it was fun and kept me, a casual gamer, addicted.[/quote]

*coughplaytiefightercough*

Rogue Leader is the only worthwhile vehicle-based SW game to come to consoles. It pained me to play that awful Jedi Starfighter game. It was a cruel joke.

bread's done
Back