Photo
- - - - -

Gamecube to Game Boy Micro Cable - Instructions in here

• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you purchase a Gamecube->Micro/GBA Link Cable at $25 shipped?

Would you purchase a Gamecube->Micro/GBA Link Cable at $25 shipped?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 Importaku

Importaku

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:05 PM

Cant wait to get hold of one of these :D

#92 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:59 PM

For kicks and giggles, I dug out my Game Boy micro -> Game Boy Advance/SP adapter and plugged it into this cable and my SP just to see if it'd work.

It did. Yay! Now I have a fairly expensive GameBoyAdvance/GameCube cable! WHoo!
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#93 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

First post updated with ordering information. I slaved away today and got the first 18 finished...

#94 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2006 - 05:00 AM

Placed my order!

#95 kurai_teshi

kurai_teshi

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:55 AM

how can i place an order?

#96 kurai_teshi

kurai_teshi

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:58 AM

i can't wait to place an order :applause: :applause: :applause:

EDIT: sorry for the double posting, i thought the first one didn't get thorugh T_T

#97 magikman

magikman

Mmmmm... 7

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:36 PM

I'm in!
Mario Kart -- 0817-8066-0157
Dr. Mario -- 0046-9649-3632
Tetris Party -- 1578-7041-2242

#98 DekuPnut

DekuPnut

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:20 AM

I'm in too!!
Please tell me which information you need (I live in the Netherlands) and I'll give it =)

#99 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:30 PM

^PM'd with ordering information

#100 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:30 PM

Updated first post stating the first batch is gone and the creation of a list for the second (and final) batch.

#101 desultor

desultor

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:45 PM

Hey there Troz! Like many other folks, I signed up just for the cable.

Dumb question here, but this cable will enable me to hook up my Micro to my Gamecube with Animal Crossing, to transfer Super Mario Brothers so I can play it on the Micro on the go, right? I can currently play it directly on the GC - I bought a memory card from somebody that had an ActionReplay, I think, along with all the other NES carts on Animal Crossing. That's actually the reason I bought Animal Crossing in the first place, so my wife can play the only game she's ever enjoyed - SMB1.

If that's what this cable does, I'm in! Let me know how to pay (Paypal, right?), how much, and when. BTW, I live in SoCal also (La Mirada, just south of Whittier), and could drive by to pick up/pay cash if it would be easier for you.

Thanks for your work on this!

#102 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:58 PM

Maybe someone else with Animal Crossing can chime in here regarding the NES games. If it works with the standard GC->GBA cable then it will work with this one.

And speaking of SMB1... That was the only game my wife liked too, until I got her to play NSMB on the DS. She's hooked on that now and has finally made it to the last level in the game!

I'm in Valencia so shipping would actually be cheaper than having you drive to pick it up, plus I don't have any right now. It'll be a few weeks before I can get some more completed. I'll add you to the list for the next batch.

#103 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:28 AM

Well, if you read my eariler post, I did confirm that this cable worked with Animal Crossing for the e-Reader at the eTM and with Animal Island... However, I did not test Advance Play.

Just now tried it using Super Mario Bros. and my micro, along with this glorious cable and it worked perfect.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#104 magikman

magikman

Mmmmm... 7

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:41 PM

Got mine today. It works great, and the build quality is awesome. Thanks a TON!
Mario Kart -- 0817-8066-0157
Dr. Mario -- 0046-9649-3632
Tetris Party -- 1578-7041-2242

#105 Hutch128

Hutch128

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:48 AM

Thanks Troz. I got mine today as well. Looks and feels like an official cable and works like a charm. Nice job!

#106 Hutch128

Hutch128

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:49 AM

Thanks Troz. I got mine today as well. Looks and feels like an official cable and works like a charm. Nice job!

#107 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:17 PM

Got mine in today.

Being the pilot tester from the first batch, I am again floored by this man's work. This new cable is absolutely beautiful and looks professional in every possible manner. It's clean, sturdy, everything.

Thank you Troz, Cheapy, and everyone else who has helped in the creation of this cable. I will be showing it off tonight! :D

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#108 desultor

desultor

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:12 AM

Troz1820, that's awesome! It turned out that my wife now plays more Animal Crossing than the SMB1... got quite the swank pad in there now. Nintendo is genious at attracting non-gamers, or at least coming up with games that prove to be fun for them. Which is a mixed blessing when I'd rather be playing Zelda while she's fishing in AC...

Thanks UncleBob for testing out Advance Play - that helps! I did read your prior post, but was unfamiliar with the e-Reader, eTM, or Animal Island.

#109 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:43 AM

Glad to hear that so many people are enjoying these so much... it's nice to know that, although I did very little to help with these, that I can give a bit back to this community that has made me spend so much money.

#110 desultor

desultor

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:29 PM

A couple more questions for you guys:

Does the cable recharge the micro while playing?

Does the micro function like a digital GC controller for regular GC games? For example, I'm playing Zelda1 on the collector's edition GC disc, and I'm thinking of picking up the Hori "SNES" GC controller because the GC d-pad blows. Would the micro+cable work just as good?

Finally, I found this list of games that have link functionality (with a nice credit to Troz).
http://en.wikipedia....y_Advance_cable
Which ones are worth picking up?

Thanks!

#111 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

A couple more questions for you guys:
Does the cable recharge the micro while playing?

Does the micro function like a digital GC controller for regular GC games? For example, I'm playing Zelda1 on the collector's edition GC disc, and I'm thinking of picking up the Hori "SNES" GC controller because the GC d-pad blows. Would the micro+cable work just as good?

No, it does not recharge and no, it cannot be used as a controller.

Finally, I found this list of games that have link functionality (with a nice credit to Troz).
http://en.wikipedia....y_Advance_cable
Which ones are worth picking up?

The big three for me are Pac Man vs. (great for non-gamers), Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and Zelda: Four Swords. Of course, the irony of all this is I've yet to have a chance to get four people around to play FF:CC or Zelda.

#112 Kirix

Kirix

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:25 PM

Got mine today. Thank you Troz. Bet you're making a lot of money ;D

#113 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:37 PM

Got mine today. Thank you Troz. Bet you're making a lot of money ;D

I wish. I'll be honest and let everyone know that I'm making about $5/cable which includes:

- Sourcing all materials (Micro Link cables suck to get!)
- Solder work
- Modifying the plastic junction box
- Testing (They're all tested with Pac Man Vs.)
- Packaging & Shipping

When all is said and done, I'm spending around 35-45 minutes of my time per cable, so I'm getting around $7.50-8.00/hour for the work. I must admit that the funds received from this will go straight back into Nintendo when the Wii comes out. It's all being set aside for that, so thank all of you who are purchasing the cables and contributing to my Wii fund!

#114 Kirix

Kirix

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:04 PM

I see so you're really just doing a service for us. Well thanks, youre a generous, helpful person and I appreciate it.

#115 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:09 AM

[...]and I'm thinking of picking up the Hori "SNES" GC controller because the GC d-pad blows.

GET THE HORI DIGITAL CONTROLLER!

That thing kicks so much ass.

Aside from that, no the micro will not work like a controller for any normal GCN Games.

However, it will work as a controller for GBA games played on the Game Boy Player.

Finally, I found this list of games that have link functionality [...] Which ones are worth picking up?

As Troz said, Pac-Man vs. Completly. Four Swords Adventures is a great game, as well. Of course, Wind Waker has some GBA elements with the Tingle Tuner - although don't buy the game because of that, buy Wind Waker because it rocks. Of course, Animal Crossing has some great GBA connectivity elements to it and, if you're into it, the Chao garden in the Sonic games is kinda neat.

#116 bastard666

bastard666

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:23 AM

Hi I'd like to order one of these awesome self made GBmicro-GC cable. I live in Italy (Europe). Please can you tell me the grand total (shipping included) to send it in my country? I can paypal you.

Thank you.

#117 DekuPnut

DekuPnut

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:06 AM

I still haven't got my cable, maybe that's because I live in the Netherlands?
I pm'd you with my address-information and stuff and I donated the money trough Paypal to your acc. a week ago (still have the 'paymentevidencemail' or whatever lol). Maybe I'm just a little bit too anxious but can you confirm this please?

#118 Importaku

Importaku

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:49 AM

Dont start worrying yet, mine has only just turned up today & i live in the UK so yours shouldnt be too far away now.

Like others have already said, thanks for making these cables they just scream out quality. You did a excellent job, it looks so neat & professional.

Time for many hours of pacman vs i think (^_^)

#119 Kaladron

Kaladron

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:45 PM

Hi Troz,

I sent you a message about a week ago but you still haven't replied. I'll send another one now.

Ash

#120 Mr. Wiggly

Mr. Wiggly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:52 PM

Thanks! I got the cable and it looks and works great. Another satisfied customer!