XBOX Live HELP! Linksys Wireless 54G: Change MTU Settings?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I'm trying to connect to Xbox Live and my MTU test keeps failing. Does anyone know how to change the settings on my router? It says I need to have a setting of 1364 or higher. THANKS!

It should be 1500 if you have broadband.

It should be in your router's settings clearly marked (don't have a Linksys router personally otherwise I'd tell you where exactly).

Hey lets do this quick since I had the same problem. I;m very tired and need to go to sleep. So respond fast if possible. Is it a Linksys WRT54G?

Whoops I thought you were still up lol :) Ok well If you do infact have the Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router go into your Routers settings by opening Internet explorer and typing your router address ( i think its 192.168.1.1 ). I had the same problem and here is what MS says to do.

Linksys WRT54G

Version 2.02.7
This firmware version is Xbox Live Compatible.

Note: The UPnP implementation on the Linksys WRT54g with firmware 2.02.7 has been discovered to prevent users from being able to connect to Xbox Live. If a user is unable to connect to Xbox Live with this specific router model/firmware, they may get connected by turning off UPnP in the router's settings. Microsoft is working hard with Linksys to repair this issue as soon as possible.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Whoops I thought you were still up lol :) Ok well If you do infact have the Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router go into your Routers settings by opening Internet explorer and typing your router address ( i think its 192.168.1.1 ). I had the same problem and here is what MS says to do.

Linksys WRT54G

Version 2.02.7

Note: The UPnP implementation on the Linksys WRT54g with firmware 2.02.7 has been discovered to prevent users from being able to connect to Xbox Live. If a user is unable to connect to Xbox Live with this specific router model/firmware, they may get connected by turning off UPnP in the router's settings. Microsoft is working hard with Linksys to repair this issue as soon as possible.[/QUOTE]

Awesome thanks - using that address (192.168.1.1) I was able to change the setting to manual and set the MTU at 1500. I also now have a secure network for the first time ever. It works!

[quote name='pimpinc333']Very Cool.[/QUOTE]

What I can't understand though is why my computer only gets a signal when I am sitting in the room with the router (and I have to be near it as well). I have the router inside my entertainment cabinet behind my Xbox but I didn't think wood interferes with the signal. My dining room table is directly behind the wall where my entertainment center goes and I can't connect to my network. Is there any reason for this?

I really can't take the router out of the cabinet because (1) my daughter will try to play with it all day and (2) my wife doesn't want something like that out in the TV room for all to see (and I agree). Here's the setup:

It should reach just fine I would think. I have the same router and mine is upstairs in my computer room. My Xbox is downstairs (2 floors down from computer room) and one wall away. I haven't had any problems connecting to my Linksys 802.11b game adapter that sits on top of my entertainment center. I wonder if there is a problem with the router or the adapter. Have you tried connecting using any other devices such as a laptop, nintendo ds, or sony psp from the same spot? There are firmware hacks for this router where you can boost the output by like 800% but they are not officially supported by linksys. However this is the reason I chose this router because when I start streaming high definition tv to my Xbox 360 I will need alot of signal strength and speed. If anyone is interested in that check out wrt54g.net

Yea, I have no problems with mine either. It reaches my Wireless Xbox from the 1st floor to the second just fine. I also have mine in a wood entertainment center cabinet.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Yea, I have no problems with mine either. It reaches my Wireless Xbox from the 1st floor to the second just fine. I also have mine in a wood entertainment center cabinet.[/QUOTE]

This leads me to believe that my router has been defective since I got it over a year ago. I used to have it installed on the third floor and wired to my desktop. My laptop would only work on the third floor even though the linksys rep kept telling me it should work all the way downstairs on the first floor. I then bought a linksys range expander and put it on the second floor - it could barely get a signal from upstairs and it would often cut out (one red light instead of two blue ones) and it still never expanded the range to downstairs. The bitch of it all is that I'm too computer retarded to figure anything out so all this time I thought it was me... it does have some range though because it works really fast when the laptop is nearby.

[quote name='javeryh']This leads me to believe that my router has been defective since I got it over a year ago. I used to have it installed on the third floor and wired to my desktop. My laptop would only work on the third floor even though the linksys rep kept telling me it should work all the way downstairs on the first floor. I then bought a linksys range expander and put it on the second floor - it could barely get a signal from upstairs and it would often cut out (one red light instead of two blue ones) and it still never expanded the range to downstairs. The bitch of it all is that I'm too computer retarded to figure anything out so all this time I thought it was me... it does have some range though because it works really fast when the laptop is nearby.[/QUOTE]
If you really think it's defective, then I think the WRT54G has a 3 year warranty on it. If it does, ship it back to them for replacement, or break out the credit card and do an advance replacement on it.

Those range expanders aren't anything like they're supposed to be. I've tried them and they do suck pretty bad.

The firmware version on that router I think is up to 4.something, if I remember right. Updating it to the latest firmware might help (though I think you may have already done that).

Plus, if you want some better range, the higher-gain antennas they sell for that router are a better upgrade.

Thanks shrike - I'm going to look into the antenna. I do have the latest firmware but the range extender really does suck.

im having this exact same problem but when i type 192.168.1.1 into my explorer box, i get a user name and password box. where do i find what my user name and password is so i can correct this problem?

Yeah, uh, when I typed in the router address this 'Username and Password' thing pops up and I have no idea what my username is or how to get a username...

[quote name='Wee Tall Didd']Yeah, uh, when I typed in the router address this 'Username and Password' thing pops up and I have no idea what my username is or how to get a username...[/QUOTE]

Your Default User Name and Password should be:

User Name: Admin
Password: Admin or Password

Post what type of Router you have.

EDIT: I answered ;)

[quote name='Wee Tall Didd']Yeah, uh, when I typed in the router address this 'Username and Password' thing pops up and I have no idea what my username is or how to get a username...[/QUOTE]

You could always RTFM.

[quote name='javeryh']I'm trying to connect to Xbox Live and my MTU test keeps failing. Does anyone know how to change the settings on my router? It says I need to have a setting of 1364 or higher. THANKS![/quote]

To Fix this problem (Ive had the same problem as well) Go To Run under start (on the Main Computer running to the router...) from there type 192.168.1.1 to get to the router to change the settings...Once typed and entered type admin in to the password area...and when its done go to "advanced" in the next box u see and then to "filters" Then scroll down, u will see MTU Number..From there put in the number u need then push appl and click continue..then ur done :):)

Hey, I've had this same problem ever since I moved my router upstairs (360 is downstairs). The router is still the same distance away from the console, but many times I can not connect to XBox live because of MTU error. It is only fixed when I go into router diagnostics and change anything. My MTU level is at 1500. When I say I change anything, I mean I will just change something and put it back to what it was and click save settings. My router is the WRT54G v2.2 Anyone have any ideas why this could be happening?

[quote name='pimpinc333']Your Default User Name and Password should be:

User Name: Admin
Password: Admin or Password

Post what type of Router you have.

EDIT: I answered ;)[/QUOTE]
I tried going into 192.168.1.1 but the problem is i dont know my username or password. :whistle2:( I tried using the default passwords and usernames and they do not work, I have a linksys WRT54G ( if that will help ). Also who could I contact to get my password and username for changing my router settings?

Any Help will be strongly appreciated :'-( I cant live without Xbox Live

ok I have had the same problem and i changed to a different ethernet cord and now i passed the dns problem and have MTU problems i never had any of these problem but i was playing a game yesterday and fell asleep apparently there was a storm so im assuming my ethernet chip got surged or it facked up my router which sucks. the ethernet led doesn't light up when i place a cord in the back of the 360 but it shows up on the router also none of my comps are able to connect to the internet except the comp directly attached to the modem. which is in my moms room. I have 3 comps in my room 2 wired and one wireless I use one of the wired as my personal comp and the other two as servers for music. so maybe all my ethernet cords got friend and i need to buy just those?? yes no?

Ok i figured out my own problem this ones a real WTF. apparently the storm surged my router and changed te setting on the restrictions tab making it say block all internet everyday once I logged into the router and changed it i passed all test but Xbox live so i shut off everything in the two rooms and waited 5 mins now im about to go see if everything works now =] wish me luck

Hey, on the topic of getting Xbox Live to work on routers. We're using a Linksys WRT54GS v6. Our MTU is set for 1500, however, the MTU test on the Xbox continues to fail over and over stating that it must be set to 1364 or higher... but according to the router it is set to 1500 already so... am I just retarded or what?

Firmware version for our router is v1.52.5 (which is the latest firmware I could find.

I KNOW YOU REPLYED TO THIS POST ALONG TIME AGO BUT HOPEFULLY U STILL REMEMBER.IM HAVING TROUBLE WITH MY MTU. I HAPPENED TO HAVE A LINKSY,AND I JUST BAUGHT A WIRE LESS NETWORK ADAPTER FOR THE XBOX.MY QUESTIONS ARE WHAT DO I DO TO FIX,THIS WERE DO I ENTER THAT ROUTER NUMBER. WILL THESE RUIN MY INTERNET CONNECTION, CAN I USE BOTH LIVE AND MY LABTOP AT THE SAME TIME,WHATS A UPNP AND WERE DO I FIND IT ?THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Whoops I thought you were still up lol :) Ok well If you do infact have the Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router go into your Routers settings by opening Internet explorer and typing your router address ( i think its 192.168.1.1 ). I had the same problem and here is what MS says to do.

Linksys WRT54G

Version 2.02.7

Note: The UPnP implementation on the Linksys WRT54g with firmware 2.02.7 has been discovered to prevent users from being able to connect to Xbox Live. If a user is unable to connect to Xbox Live with this specific router model/firmware, they may get connected by turning off UPnP in the router's settings. Microsoft is working hard with Linksys to repair this issue as soon as possible.[/quote]

Okay, ive had my 360 since last Christmas. My computer upstairs has a netgear switch thats connected to my dsl internet box. I use this netgear thing(it IS NOT wireless) to connect to my dsl box, and run an ethernet corde downstairs to my room for my 360(the reason i got the netgear thing was so i can use my xbox AND computer at the same time). I never had issues with this MTU crap. But my sister got a laptop and she got this thing called Netgear Wireless Router and connected it to my OTHER netgear router thing. This thing is called Wireless- G router WGR614 v9. Once she hooked this thing up ive been having trouble with the MTU settings. And wen i opened up internet explorer, and put in 192.168.1.1 for the address. This username and password thing popped up, and like the people said in this forum... type in Admin for username and either Admin or Password for the password. It did NOT work. I then did the other thing, wich is go to Start, Run, put 192.168.1.1 in and search. When i did so, it said i cannot find the file and it told me to make sure i spelt it right and all that. Can someone please help me in GREAT detail? im so uneducated when it comes to technology like this. Please give me good steps, and such. This is really hard for me mainly because i have trouble learning thins and understanding things, so your help would be sooooooososososososooooo great! THANKS!

Me again, sorry but i tried to start a new thread about it and it wouldnt let me! >.< PLEASE SEND ME A PERSONAL MESSAGE AND REPLY TO THIS!
Okay, please bare with me here i know very little about these modems and all that, sorry. So ive had my 360 for like a year now. Never had troubles and watever. I have my 360 in the basement, and the floor above it is were my computer is. I have DSL, and a netgear switch thing. The netgear switch connects to my DSL modem. It allows me to run a ethernet cable downstairs to my Xbox so i can connect to xbox live AND use my computer at the same time. Now, my sister recently got a laptop, and we have no wireless internet around my area were i live, so she got this Wireless Router, its called Wireless- G router WGR614 v9. It is connected by a yellow corde to my Netgear Switch and it allows her to get internet around the house wirelessly. Now, the thing is i cant use this wireless internet to connect to it with my 360 cuz my basement roof is VERY thick and i cant get reception down there, you know? But ever since my sister got this god damn router, i had troubles with my MTU settings on my Xbox. People in a forum that ive seen said to go to internet explorer, and go to 192.168.1.1 as the address. I did so, and the Username and Password thing came up. They said to put Admin for username and Admin or Password for the password(its the default username/password). When i did this, lucky me, it didnt work. And another fellow said to go to Start, Run, put 192.168.1.1 in for the search. I did so and it said the search couldnt be found. I really would appreciate help on this everyone, i have trouble learning and understanding things too. So PLEASE, give me great details on what to do and please help me... Id really appreciate it. Thanks so much guys!

try "admin" and "password1" - it took me forever to figure out I had to add the 1 in there to get to my router's settings.

bread's done
Back