Dragon Quest VIII

yester

CAGiversary!
I am patiently playing Dragon Quest for now over 37h and i have to tell, that it really hooked me.
The only thing what borders me, is the map. Somehow you never able to scroll the map down.
Pretty sure, some people already done with that game, but i only have few hours a day to play.
I just wished i had the chance to play the early titles to, but i guess that will never happen.
Does anybody have a tip, where you could level up your party? I know that you get a lot of experience points by defeating metal slims. But so far, i only found them randomly.
:D

I'm guessing you already have the boat? The best place for metal slimes is the woods West of the Royal Hunting Grounds. You'll often encounter 8 at a time. A lot of people complain about not being able to scroll the zoomed-in map, but I feel like it would ruin the exploration aspect is you could.

[quote name='BIG5']I'm guessing you already have the boat? The best place for metal slimes is the woods West of the Royal Hunting Grounds. You'll often encounter 8 at a time. A lot of people complain about not being able to scroll the zoomed-in map, but I feel like it would ruin the exploration aspect is you could.[/QUOTE]

Yes, i am on the road (sea) with the ship. Thanks for the tip. I will visit the place to level up a little more. My hero has now level 28, which i think is not enough for facing my next boss (in the dark ruins). 4-5 bone riders are nearly wipe out my party, so i have to level up more.
That fact that you could npt scroll the map borderd me really. But on the other hand, yes, you explore more. Walking around the country to find secret chests etc.
Other things i havend played to much with, is the pod and the arena. Altough i collect some new g ladiators for my team, i did not border to go back to the arena so far.

At lv. 30, Angelo learns a spell which makes the Dark Ruins much easier. You should check out the Arena. You get some great rewards for winning the top ranks.

[quote name='BIG5']At lv. 30, Angelo learns a spell which makes the Dark Ruins much easier. You should check out the Arena. You get some great rewards for winning the top ranks.[/QUOTE]

:) angelo need still two more levels. well, i keep on fighting.
;)

If you're daring you could go to the Uncharted Southwest Island. There's Liquid Metal Slimes, which give ~9-10x more EXP than regular metal slimes. However, they're somewhat rare, and the Mimics there might be a bit tough for your current status.

wow, this is almost exactly where I am. I'm level 27, the Dark Ruins didn't seem so bad, but the boss wiped me out pretty fast...back to the drawing board, I guess.

I'm just about where you are.

In fact I'm about to fight Dhoulmagus so I'm powerleveling. I'm ~level 32. I've just been going on money hunts and I've got like ~35000 right now. I'm thinking of buying some stuff from the bazaar so I can do some alchemy and beef up my weapons/equipment before I fight the bosses.

[quote name='Moxio']If you're daring you could go to the Uncharted Southwest Island. There's Liquid Metal Slimes, which give ~9-10x more EXP than regular metal slimes. However, they're somewhat rare, and the Mimics there might be a bit tough for your current status.[/QUOTE]

i will check out the island next time.
So far, my boss fight went in a defeat on me. I just made the mistake, that i did not have a potion in reserve for getting some MP back.
Well, but i think i could defeat him the second time.
I just have the feeling, that this rpg takes me longer than ffx (which was about 60h).:bouncy:

That boss fight is one of the hardest in the game, just keep at it, you'll get it eventually.

Yes, you'll most likely put in about 80 hours to finish the main game, and well over 100 if you attempt the bonus Trials.

[quote name='Vegan']That boss fight is one of the hardest in the game, just keep at it, you'll get it eventually.

Yes, you'll most likely put in about 80 hours to finish the main game, and well over 100 if you attempt the bonus Trials.[/QUOTE]

Just defeat the Jester. But, but.... i lost in the final round my hero and Jessica. both died. But at least, i was gave him a beating. :)
Altough it was close, that i lost maybe my whole party.
80 hours? na, i am lucky that this game really hooked me and makes me coming back all time. Otherwise. 80 hours?;)

[quote name='Vegan']80 hours, give or take 10 on either side, seems to be the average.[/QUOTE]

Are you serious?
I have an unfinished "Till the end of time" in my box. And FF-X2 (shame that i did not finish it).
Once i finished DQ8 i want to dig in these once. I hope they are maybe a little shorter.

Wow I totally just went against the "boss" in the Dark Ruins.

Wow.

I don't mean to brag but I totally raped him. RAPED.

Here's the gameplan. Get Angelo to level 30. Once he gets Multiheal, BOTH bosses are a joke. I just slaughtered this loser. Oomph on Hero and Yangus w/ no psyche = ~180 damage per hit :)

[quote name='Moxio']Wow I totally just went against the "boss" in the Dark Ruins.

Wow.

I don't mean to brag but I totally raped him. RAPED.

Here's the gameplan. Get Angelo to level 30. Once he gets Multiheal, BOTH bosses are a joke. I just slaughtered this loser. Oomph on Hero and Yangus w/ no psyche = ~180 damage per hit :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's exactly what my problem was...Angelo was on level 26. Dammit, this is the first problem I've had, and I'm not looking forward to leveling up 4 levels...*sigh* As it stands, I can get pretty far in the battle, but once Angelo's been killed off a couple times I have no way to revive him, and the plan falls apart. Ah, well, I guess I gotta suck it up and power level...

Your Hero doesn't have Zing yet? I don't know when he gets that. 4 levels shouldn't be THAT to do, considering you have a huge continent to explore.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Yeah, that's exactly what my problem was...Angelo was on level 26. Dammit, this is the first problem I've had, and I'm not looking forward to leveling up 4 levels...*sigh* As it stands, I can get pretty far in the battle, but once Angelo's been killed off a couple times I have no way to revive him, and the plan falls apart. Ah, well, I guess I gotta suck it up and power level...[/QUOTE]

Two words. Metal Slimes.

You could get 4 levels at that point in 30 minutes or less. No joke.

[quote name='Vegan']I'm at the point now where it takes me two hours to go up one measly level.[/QUOTE]

Even against KMS's?

Man those are such rare kills. I've killed only 3 or 4 the entire game. I'm MORE than 100,000 points between levels now.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Yeah, that's exactly what my problem was...Angelo was on level 26. Dammit, this is the first problem I've had, and I'm not looking forward to leveling up 4 levels...*sigh* As it stands, I can get pretty far in the battle, but once Angelo's been killed off a couple times I have no way to revive him, and the plan falls apart. Ah, well, I guess I gotta suck it up and power level...[/QUOTE]

Carry a Yggdrasil Leaf...

I beat it at Hero/Yangus 27 Angelo/Jessica 26... use items, make sure Angelo is always healed up, use defend if you need to, don't be afraid to take several turns where you don't attack him...

Multiheal makes the boss way too easy =P

[quote name='kainzero']Carry a Yggdrasil Leaf...

I beat it at Hero/Yangus 27 Angelo/Jessica 26... use items, make sure Angelo is always healed up, use defend if you need to, don't be afraid to take several turns where you don't attack him...

Multiheal makes the boss way too easy =P[/QUOTE]

Personally, i would do what was pointed out in the second respond. Go next (west) from the Royal Hunting Ground and fight Metal Slims (sometimes they appear in 8 formation). I did that and it took me about 2-3 hours to level up. With a level of 30 on Angelo you get Multiheal, which makes it easier to heal the party at once.

-> playing now 50 hours and located behind the snowy mountains.:D

[quote name='Vegan']Man those are such rare kills. I've killed only 3 or 4 the entire game. I'm MORE than 100,000 points between levels now.[/QUOTE]

Somewhat. If you check GameFAQ's FAQs and Message Board (linked from dq8) you can get some good information.

I beat the game a few weeks ago. ~60 hours. No extra leveling. The game was fairly difficult, but no extra levelling is necessary. I even managed to do the bonus dungeon for the "good ending."

****SPOILER ALERT****
Least favorite part of the game: We need to get to the Western Continent. We need a boat. I think there's one in the desert. How do we get it out of the desert? Maybe we can go to the castle to find out. So the desert used to be an ocean. The elfman can make the ocean come back with his harp. But his harp just broke and now we need a new harp. Yeah, you can have my harp....but it was stolen by the mole people. Fight the mole people, get the harp, play the song, bring the ocean back, get the boat, get to the Western Continent....

nahhh, i hated that part too cuz it felt so redundant and nothing really happened storywise.

but when you got the boat it was cool, i like the graphics during that scene when they build the bridge and stuff. =P

i have different strats for fighting metals.
against mks:
turn 1
hero- thunder/lightning thrust (spear skill)
yangus- hatchet man/executioner (axe skill)
angelo- (with meteorite armband) timbrel of tension
jessica- acceleratle

hopefully you'll get a tension boosted acceleratle, that ensures that on turn 2 you'll go first.

turn 2 and onward
hero- thunder/lightning thrust (spear skill)
yangus- hatchet man/executioner (axe skill)
angelo - attack
jessica - attack

now you can only pray for critical hits.

liquid metals
turn 1
hero - psycheup
yangus - hatchet man/executioner
angelo - timbrel of tension
jessica - acceleratle

20/50 tension is USUALLY good enough to kill a liquid metal in one hit with metal slash, so usually i have hero psyche for a turn.

turn 2 and onward
hero - metal slash (sword skill) (using falcon blade)
yangus - executioner
angelo - metal slash / timbrel (using falcon blade)
jessica - timbrel

now it's just about timing your metal slashes, getting lucky with yangus, and so on and so forth.

i'm not sure since i used the liquid metal sword in alchemy, but i know the LMS gives a guaranteed two damage to any metal monster using regular attack. i'm not sure if it gives bonus on tension metal slash.
the metal fang gives a guaranteed 1 damage, which makes it semi-decent against metal slimes. it doesn't stack with tension though.

[quote name='Joon2324']I beat the game a few weeks ago. ~60 hours. No extra leveling. The game was fairly difficult, but no extra levelling is necessary. I even managed to do the bonus dungeon for the "good ending."

****SPOILER ALERT****
Least favorite part of the game: We need to get to the Western Continent. We need a boat. I think there's one in the desert. How do we get it out of the desert? Maybe we can go to the castle to find out. So the desert used to be an ocean. The elfman can make the ocean come back with his harp. But his harp just broke and now we need a new harp. Yeah, you can have my harp....but it was stolen by the mole people. Fight the mole people, get the harp, play the song, bring the ocean back, get the boat, get to the Western Continent....[/QUOTE]

mmm... i am in my 53th hour of playing and now heading to the pirates cave. I guess, i am taking the long way. My levels so far are 34 for all, except Jessica which has level 33.

[quote name='yester']mmm... i am in my 53th hour of playing and now heading to the pirates cave. I guess, i am taking the long way. My levels so far are 34 for all, except Jessica which has level 33.[/QUOTE]

I'm about 40 hours in and I'm level 35. You should consider leveling up more.

LMS = awesome

KMS = godly (I managed to kill some in the Dragon's Graveyard)

[quote name='Moxio']I'm about 40 hours in and I'm level 35. You should consider leveling up more.

LMS = awesome

KMS = godly (I managed to kill some in the Dragon's Graveyard)[/QUOTE]

well, they might be low considering the hours i played, but so far i could beat any boss. I only had a hard time in the dragon graveyard (boss battle). because i got wiped out the first time. But that was more of a strategie thing.
still, i am looking for the metal slims, but all locations appear to have only a few slimes. (well at least not every time a fight occurs.)

I am sooooo disappointed in the story....oh wait! What story? There's nothing but paper thin plot here - chase Dhoulmagus from town to town because he stole a wand and turned your kingdom into thornville. Cliche, but yet, everyone gives it a 9/10 rating. But yet, Radiata Stories and the rest of the bunch of RPGs that came out in the last few months are all deemed something like "Well crafted. Plot is tried-and-true so no innovation here. I give it 7/10!" 30 hours into it, and my $49.99 investment hasn't paid off, because there's no entertainment value. I don't get it: AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS THIS OR WHAT? Are all you guys Dragon Quest fans since the NES 8-bit days or something? There is nothing compelling about this game and it gets average 9/10 all over! I am mad, I admit it. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! *sighs...deep breathes...*

[quote name='nintendokid']I am sooooo disappointed in the story....oh wait! What story? There's nothing but paper thin plot here - chase Dhoulmagus from town to town because he stole a wand and turned your kingdom into thornville. Cliche, but yet, everyone gives it a 9/10 rating. But yet, Radiata Stories and the rest of the bunch of RPGs that came out in the last few months are all deemed something like "Well crafted. Plot is tried-and-true so no innovation here. I give it 7/10!" 30 hours into it, and my $49.99 investment hasn't paid off, because there's no entertainment value. I don't get it: AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS THIS OR WHAT? Are all you guys Dragon Quest fans since the NES 8-bit days or something? There is nothing compelling about this game and it gets average 9/10 all over! I am mad, I admit it. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! *sighs...deep breathes...*[/QUOTE]

LMFAO.

You're still early in the story.

Here's some spoilers since you won't care, evidently.

The storyline has little to do with Dhoulmagus. He's just a pawn in a huge evil status structure. And I can BET you can't guess the last boss.

[quote name='yester']well, they might be low considering the hours i played, but so far i could beat any boss. I only had a hard time in the dragon graveyard (boss battle). because i got wiped out the first time. But that was more of a strategie thing.
still, i am looking for the metal slims, but all locations appear to have only a few slimes. (well at least not every time a fight occurs.)[/QUOTE]

You won't ever find a place with ALL MS/LMS/KMS. In fact if you did find some 3 or 5 times in a row you're damn lucky.

That's what makes them to hard to beat. They're rather rare and they run. But the EXP you get is worth it.

You just need to find which places have MORE than others. :)

[quote name='Moxio']You won't ever find a place with ALL MS/LMS/KMS. In fact if you did find some 3 or 5 times in a row you're damn lucky.

That's what makes them to hard to beat. They're rather rare and they run. But the EXP you get is worth it.

You just need to find which places have MORE than others. :)[/QUOTE]

yea, i thought that.
But anyway. I found that a good way was to level up in the pirates cove. most of the enemies came in pairs of 4 and every time gave about 1000 exp. Now all my characters have level 35. \\:D/

[quote name='Moxio']LMFAO.

You're still early in the story.

Here's some spoilers since you won't care, evidently.

The storyline has little to do with Dhoulmagus. He's just a pawn in a huge evil status structure. And I can BET you can't guess the last boss.[/QUOTE]

Even if i did not finish the game, it appears to me that there is a something more behind.
Spoiler->>>

I am in Empycchu and heart about the story with the bird. Apperantly it reminds me about Zelda.

Anyway, because of this Zelda hero, i got dragged into the story and enjoy every minute of it.
I hope we will see the follow up (well Yango's Adventures). I really love Dragon Quest/Warrior.

[quote name='nintendokid']I am sooooo disappointed in the story....oh wait! What story? There's nothing but paper thin plot here - chase Dhoulmagus from town to town because he stole a wand and turned your kingdom into thornville. Cliche, but yet, everyone gives it a 9/10 rating. But yet, Radiata Stories and the rest of the bunch of RPGs that came out in the last few months are all deemed something like "Well crafted. Plot is tried-and-true so no innovation here. I give it 7/10!" 30 hours into it, and my $49.99 investment hasn't paid off, because there's no entertainment value. I don't get it: AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS THIS OR WHAT? Are all you guys Dragon Quest fans since the NES 8-bit days or something? There is nothing compelling about this game and it gets average 9/10 all over! I am mad, I admit it. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! *sighs...deep breathes...*[/QUOTE]
The plot isn't anything special, but what I really enjoyed was how it unfolded and all the small stories told along the way, especially the exploration part. It's the little things it does that put it way ahead of the other RPGs. I mean FF7's plot is just "kill Sephiroth before he destroys the world" when you put it in a nutshell like that.

One of the cool things about the battle system is that it's challenging, you gotta work to out-think the enemies, how to ration off your MP in dungeons, which attack to use in certain situations, how to distribute your skills and such. "Old-school" or not, most random battles actually engaged me because I had to think about it.

I also liked how well developed the minor characters were, something DQ has always done very strongly, especially given how much time you actually spend with them. Questing with Prince Charmles takes probably an hour but in that hour you get a really good feel for his character (he sucks).

I don't even want to go into Radiata Stories since this is a DQ8 thread but I hated it, plain and simple.

[quote name='yester']yea, i thought that.
But anyway. I found that a good way was to level up in the pirates cove. most of the enemies came in pairs of 4 and every time gave about 1000 exp. Now all my characters have level 35. \\:D/[/QUOTE]

Once you can fly you'll laugh at the Pirate's Cove.

:)

[quote name='Moxio']Once you can fly you'll laugh at the Pirate's Cove.

:)[/QUOTE]

Spoiler - do not read if you want to play it...

Well, at the pirates cove, i defeat crow in a nice way. He nearly wiped my party out, because he psyche's up realy fast.
But i used Jessica to use Puff-Puff to get his tension to 0. That way i could get my character to have a tension of at least 20 and casting ommpf (probably wrong name). With this i managed to defeat him. Thats why i enjoyed this particular fight.

do you get more exp in the air?

Personally, i like DQ8 because of how it is presented. It uses the same cellshading technic to have a cartoonish world. Plus the fact, that you hero does not actually speak.
The real character i liked in the game are Dhoulmagus, Yangus, Jessica. Especially the voices are well choosen for the charakters. Dhoulmagus has the perfect voice.
Storywise i don't have any complaints. It develops well and keeps you going and you exited to go ahead and uncover more.
In the end its always the same. Fight evil, defeat evil. So there is not difference to other rgp's.
I just wished i could play the early DQ, but i guess i will not find them anymore to buy.
Actually if somebody know where i could get them, i would like to buy them.
Also, the music score is awesome. I just love to listen to the score.
There are some issues which border me a little.
One was the map, which does not allow you to scroll.
The other is, that in DQ8 it never rains. Strange....

[quote name='kainzero']The plot isn't anything special, but what I really enjoyed was how it unfolded and all the small stories told along the way, especially the exploration part. It's the little things it does that put it way ahead of the other RPGs. I mean FF7's plot is just "kill Sephiroth before he destroys the world" when you put it in a nutshell like that.

One of the cool things about the battle system is that it's challenging, you gotta work to out-think the enemies, how to ration off your MP in dungeons, which attack to use in certain situations, how to distribute your skills and such. "Old-school" or not, most random battles actually engaged me because I had to think about it.

I also liked how well developed the minor characters were, something DQ has always done very strongly, especially given how much time you actually spend with them. Questing with Prince Charmles takes probably an hour but in that hour you get a really good feel for his character (he sucks).

I don't even want to go into Radiata Stories since this is a DQ8 thread but I hated it, plain and simple.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='yester']Spoiler - do not read if you want to play it...

Well, at the pirates cove, i defeat crow in a nice way. He nearly wiped my party out, because he psyche's up realy fast.
But i used Jessica to use Puff-Puff to get his tension to 0. That way i could get my character to have a tension of at least 20 and casting ommpf (probably wrong name). With this i managed to defeat him. Thats why i enjoyed this particular fight.

do you get more exp in the air?[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah I remember that battle. It was kinda tough because he had strong attacks but I just Psyched up to 100 and let him have it. 2000+ damage :)

As for flying, you don't get battles in the air. However, you get access to several LMS/KMS-infested places.

[quote name='Moxio']Oh yeah I remember that battle. It was kinda tough because he had strong attacks but I just Psyched up to 100 and let him have it. 2000+ damage :)

As for flying, you don't get battles in the air. However, you get access to several LMS/KMS-infested places.[/QUOTE]

How you did that? I mean to get your tention to 100. I never reached the level. He always cast icebreak (or whatever it was) and i had to start by 0.
Anyway, different approaches are possible.
But what about the mini isle between the chaple and castle trodain, Its are cave with a elevator, but i wasn't be able to use it.

[quote name='yester']How you did that? I mean to get your tention to 100. I never reached the level. He always cast icebreak (or whatever it was) and i had to start by 0.
Anyway, different approaches are possible.
But what about the mini isle between the chaple and castle trodain, Its are cave with a elevator, but i wasn't be able to use it.[/QUOTE]

I guess I got lucky because he only used icy wave once or twice when I had just lost tension after attacks. =/

[quote name='yester']
But what about the mini isle between the chaple and castle trodain, Its are cave with a elevator, but i wasn't be able to use it.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, you'll get there eventually.

So THIS is where the DQ8 discussion went to - the other thread just sort of died off there...

Vegan, how far through the trials have you gotten? I haven't played since I did my last power-levelling to try to defeat the second to last one about 3 weeks ago. I really need to get back into it, because I was holding off on the "good ending" until I finished all the trials.

[quote name='Vegan']Don't worry, you'll get there eventually.[/QUOTE]

Well yes, i went yesterday there. It was sad.
But now, i think that i am almost done with the game. So far 65 hours and level 38.

I'm on the Silver Dragon. I've taken a break for a bit since all I was doing was Whistling for slimes for hours on end, so the Law of Diminishing Returns has taken effect. I figured my time was better spent finishing Shadow of the Colossus. I'm going to try to keep the leveling going a little bit at a time, here and there.

[quote name='Vegan']I'm on the Silver Dragon. I've taken a break for a bit since all I was doing was Whistling for slimes for hours on end, so the Law of Diminishing Returns has taken effect. I figured my time was better spent finishing Shadow of the Colossus. I'm going to try to keep the leveling going a little bit at a time, here and there.[/QUOTE]

Hehe, I pretty much slammed into the same wall :D. I've been playing AC:WW instead. Like I said earlier, I think the gold is easier than the silver, so if you can get past that silver your good at least till the Darksteel...

[quote name='io']Hehe, I pretty much slammed into the same wall :D. I've been playing AC:WW instead. Like I said earlier, I think the gold is easier than the silver, so if you can get past that silver your good at least till the Darksteel...[/QUOTE]

I am not sure, if i will do that. I mean hunt the dragons. I am now in my 73 hour and at the final boss battle.
Unlucky for me, i got already two times wiped out. Somehow i have to change my party order. Oh yes, my party is at level 41.
i am still amazed, how somebody could finish the whole game in 60 hours???

bread's done
Back