Photo
- - - - -

The official lets bitch because we're still in college THREAD!

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#91 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:36 PM

While I agree with most of this, let me refine a few of the points.

First, if you attend a top 5 law school, your first year grades don't even matter that much when it comes to getting a law firm job (even at a national, prestigious law firm). You know the old joke, what do you call someone who finishes last in his class at Harvard Law School? A Harvard Law graduate.

Second, your second and third year grades DO matter if you are interested in obtaining a federal court clerkship. These clerkships typically are for a year with a judge at either the district court or appellate court. They are considered to be VERY presitgious and will be a nice marker on your resume. But the judges DO care about how you've done throughout your law school career, not just your first year grades.

Finally, there is no question that you will work HARD at a law firm job. If you are not interested in working hard, please do not go to law school.

This is definitely true - I should have mentioned that I was speaking as someone who only had an interest in going to a large firm and making a lot of money. I never once even considered a clerkship because I don't ever want to be a litigator or visit a courtroom and I needed money ASAP after graduation.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#92 ispeshaled

ispeshaled

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:28 AM

2 degrees in 5 years? You are a machine. You make me feel like a slacker. Spent my first year declared as a computer science major. Then I spent another year taking random classes for the university requirements. Spent another taking business classes because my dad, who is paying every penny for me and then some, said I would make more money, have less homework, and less stress. Then decided that computer science was the only thing for me, business is the biggest BS major and I could not take it. I can't believe companies actually regard business majors as credible graduates with degrees. No offense to anyone who is a business major.

Ain't that the truth. My sister graduated a year ago with a Business degree. She's 22 making $60,000 a year with her own office doing practically nothing. Not complaining though....I got nice Xmas gifts.

But back on topic, I still got a year to go which will make it 5. Changed majors 2 years ago from Electrical Engineering to Biology.

#93 Kenobi13

Kenobi13

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:46 AM

54 credits after one year. Im taking 16 right now. I miss sleep, my family, life......

#94 R1V3R5

R1V3R5

No Pussy McNeverSexes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:57 AM

54 credits after one year. Im taking 16 right now. I miss sleep, my family, life......

I wish I could take that many credits in one year. However, I can't afford that many classes nor do I have the time to go to that many classes with my work schedule.

Back to the subject at hand...

I don't have that many classes left before the Police Academy and while I have no money and no free time, the classes are pretty great. Can't wait to get out on the street and bust some heads. :D
Posted Image
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
-Francois Fenelont

#95 LaseK

LaseK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:14 AM

"Decent for a dropout, but God, I fucking hate computers. "

That made me laugh really hard. :D

EDIT: in the second semester of my first year as a Business major. Leaving for a one year exchange to Japan next March, full credits for Business classes as well.
hellogoodbye on the microphone

#96 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:31 PM

2.5 years, 43 credits.

It should be more like 3.5 but I took a year off and transferred from a Catholic University to another school.

I lost quite a few credits (new school wouldnt take theology).

#97 VXT

VXT

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:03 PM

42 credits (by the end of second semester)

1st year (second semester)

School is so meh for me. I'm always broke, like everyone else. I also commute to school and all I do now is go to sleep, work, or school.

I have a question to everyone that says college is a blast. I don't have many friends at college and I guess I sort of feel like I'm "wasting" this time in my life, should I rush for a frat next semester or just keep concentrating in school? I'm also afraid of not becoming part of the "network" if I don't start socializing soon.

#98 Final Starman

Final Starman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:47 PM

Any pharmacy students here?
Posted Image
Just passing through.

-=Check my tradelist!=-

#99 LaseK

LaseK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:11 AM

I have a question to everyone that says college is a blast. I don't have many friends at college and I guess I sort of feel like I'm "wasting" this time in my life, should I rush for a frat next semester or just keep concentrating in school? I'm also afraid of not becoming part of the "network" if I don't start socializing soon.

Depends. Are you a party/drinking type of person? If so, I think it's easy to socialize, at least here; just show up at a party, and you're immediately accepted.

For me, I go to parties but rarely drink. I do shots of vodka, but I don't drink enough to get drunk, since I have class at 8AM every weekday, and work after those classes, then work on the weekends as well in the morning.

Unfortunately I have no idea how frats work/operate/are. Canada :(
hellogoodbye on the microphone

#100 SOSTrooper

SOSTrooper

θ = fractional occupancy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:07 AM

My credits are complicated

3.5 years, 122 units total. (108 units in the past 3 years, + 14 units last semester)

Of the 108 units from my community college, the UC system would only accept 70 as maximum transferrable units. So that makes me with 84 units completed. This semester I have 13. I need 120 to graduate, which is in spring of 2007.

Got associate degree in Biology last summer. Now currently a molecular and cell biology major.

Posted Image
| Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 | Asus P6T Deluxe V2 | 2x Intel X18-M 80GB RAID0 |
| XFX HD 5870 | Corsair HX750W PSU | Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 | Antec P180 v1.1 |

#101 kakomu

kakomu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:25 AM

If you like drinking, it will be for you. If not, you probably won't have fun, or feel alienated. If/when choosing a frat, make sure it's for you and make sure that the guys are cool with you. I ended up quitting my frat because the guys in the house ended up being major drags and not being all that cool with me. There's a bit more to it beyond just that, but I'm not going to go into it right now. I don't see much differentiation between frat houses. They all are quite homogenous.

I've since stopped drinking in school, just because it really is the same thing all the time. Spend money on booze, wake up feeling like crap with the taste of beer still in your mouth (or cigarettes). Unfortunately, there isn't much else to do down here, and most people seem to fear deviating from the bar scene.

If you feel that MUST go drinking because otherwise you're pissing your life away, do so. However, you shouldn't really go drinking simply because of peer pressure. I've subcumbed to peer pressure, and many times I regret it.
GameTZ trade list
TGN trade list
CAG Trade list
Spilled myself all over you like syrup
so delicious and stuck on you.
Used to be Capitalist_mao

#102 vietgurl

vietgurl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:30 AM

My credits are complicated

3.5 years, 122 units total. (108 units in the past 3 years, + 14 units last semester)

Of the 108 units from my community college, the UC system would only accept 70 as maximum transferrable units. So that makes me with 84 units completed. This semester I have 13. I need 120 to graduate, which is in spring of 2007.

Got associate degree in Biology last summer. Now currently a molecular and cell biology major.

So you're one of THOSE MCB majors. J/k, hehe. There are some negative stereotypes against MCB students at Cal, especially the premed one. It's a hard major though so if you make it, then props to you.
Posted Image

#103 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:55 AM

I've finished 2.5 years of college (transferred schools after the first year).

I have 59 credits so far and I'm taking 12 this semester.

I have no major and I'm not sure what to do. I was originally going to be a graphic designer, but I noticed there are a million graphic designers who have no work.

#104 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

wish i would've went to college........thinking about taking some classes this year

#105 Storamin

Storamin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:09 PM

I joined one and I love it. I enjoy hanging out with my brothers and drinking. Some fraternities WILL make you drink, ours doesn't... but it is encouraged. One of the guys who joined last semester has never touched a drink and never will because his father had an alcoholism problem. We respect his choice, but there are other fraternities on campus that probaly won't. Just find the right group of guys and learn about it. It is a great way to meet people and job recruiters love to see that you have something outside of a GPA.
Posted Image

#106 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:11 PM

wish i would've went to college........thinking about taking some classes this year

Do it. Everyone with the opportunity to go to college should take it without hesitation.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#107 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:40 PM

I'm in my 3rd year in a community college. I work and go to school full time. I barely decided to major in business when I was submitting applications to transfer at the end of November just before the deadline thanks in part to some post by javeryh in some other college thread.

So far I have 71 units and I'm taking 18 units this semester. Statistics, Marco-economics, micro-economics, business law, and accounting.

I can't really bitch about college (except for the tranfser counselor), I'm very grateful that I have the opportunity to go to college.

#108 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:42 PM

Do it. Everyone with the opportunity to go to college should take it without hesitation.

Right after I got out of the air force, I landed a job that pays nearly six figures with great benefits and then my daughter came along. I don't really need to go to college now, but I think that's what's drawing me to go. Plus it would be a nice security blanket to have a degree in something in case I get laid off/sick/maimed in a horrible clown car accident/etc.

#109 kakomu

kakomu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:16 PM

I joined one and I love it. I enjoy hanging out with my brothers and drinking. Some fraternities WILL make you drink, ours doesn't... but it is encouraged. One of the guys who joined last semester has never touched a drink and never will because his father had an alcoholism problem. We respect his choice, but there are other fraternities on campus that probaly won't. Just find the right group of guys and learn about it. It is a great way to meet people and job recruiters love to see that you have something outside of a GPA.

Most recruiters don't care about someone being in a social fraternity, unless they were in the same one. They only care about honors, or genre sepcific fraternities.
GameTZ trade list
TGN trade list
CAG Trade list
Spilled myself all over you like syrup
so delicious and stuck on you.
Used to be Capitalist_mao

#110 Kenobi13

Kenobi13

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:53 PM

So far I have 71 units and I'm taking 18 units this semester. Statistics, Marco-economics, micro-economics, business law, and accounting.

I can't really bitch about college (except for the tranfser counselor), I'm very grateful that I have the opportunity to go to college.

I have a friend that took statistics three times. She just could not get it.
I recently took a macro-economics class, have fun learning all those formulas.

#111 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:17 AM

I barely decided to major in business when I was submitting applications to transfer at the end of November just before the deadline thanks in part to some post by javeryh in some other college thread.

Man, javeryh changes lives.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#112 Ziv_Zulander

Ziv_Zulander

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:20 AM

I can't really bitch about being in college because i'm here voluntarily and can leave whenever I feel like it. Then again, i'm not even in a college- just a shitty tech school.

#113 BSman

BSman

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:21 AM

javeryh - what do you grades have to be to even get into law school. i guess it probably depends where you go to school, but what is the average?

I have 46 credits now and taking 15 this semester. I am in an electrical engineering program right now and know someone else who did the same thing and went to law school
ADeadlyPanda
Posted Image Reputation:Posted Image
Gamerscore:910
Zone:Pro

#114 afedock

afedock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:51 AM

I would say 3.5 or above to go to a above-average to great law school. But it also depends on your LSAT scores. A high score in that will greatly increase your chances in a good school.
Posted Image Posted Image