PS3 Info: Leaked!?!?!?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&message.id=249598&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Take it for what it's worth. If true, the PS3 sounds like a monster but Sony has failed to live up to its promises before:

• PS3 will have online service that goes beyond xbox live
  • PS3 will be a DVR
  • It will connect with psp
  • There are alot of games being worked on for it right now in the US (alot more then what people know about)
  • The final ps3 dev kit is alot faster than they thought (according to the developer)
  • The ps3 will have an itunes type service to let you download HI DEF movies, music, etc
  • The Ps3 will take the media center functionality the 360 has even further
  • PS3 will serve as a location free player for the psp, means you can watch the dvd's that you have in your psp on your psp (from anywhere in the world), or any other video files you have on your ps3, though this is still only being planned.
  • PSP will be able to send its files straight to the psp from anywhere in the world, and it can also control its DVR functionalities
  • Firmware updates will add more functionality, much like with the psp
  • The Blu Ray Player functionality doesnt cost as much as a stand alone player because the Cell and RSX can take care of alot of the stuff the ps3 will need to do to be able to read the disks
  • Fall release date for ps3, no release date for online service, but expected to launch w/ the system

the phrase, "will have online service that goes beyond xbox live" seems rather subjective to me. When I think leak, I think actual numbers, like specs, or price.

If the console has all those capabilities, it would almost have to cost more than $300 at launch.

Sounds intriguing, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I wouldn't doubt the PSP info, but I seriously doubt the DVR (unless there's an extra fee), the "HI-DEF movies", etc.

It's funny, we hear nothing but hype from fans, but the people actually working on it are doing nothing but dogging on it.. saying it overheats, melts down, hard to program for, then the developer who got axed for talking trash about it..

PS3 will have online service that goes beyond xbox live
-doubtful

PS3 will be a DVR
-more than doubtful, why on earth would they put in the extra cost of -R functionality with something that isn't even a DVR ? This is just stupid rumor

It will connect with psp
- more than likely true

There are alot of games being worked on for it right now in the US (alot more then what people know about)
-Duh, it's a Sony console, everyone wants to jump on board

The final ps3 dev kit is alot faster than they thought (according to the developer)
- ??

The ps3 will have an itunes type service to let you download HI DEF movies, music, etc
- i-tunes? Probably. Hi def movie download ? more than doubtful for a myriad of reasons from piracy to bandwidth

The Ps3 will take the media center functionality the 360 has even further
-we'll see. Probably true since Sony us an entertainment company moreso than MS

PS3 will serve as a location free player for the psp, means you can watch the dvd's that you have in your psp on your psp (from anywhere in the world), or any other video files you have on your ps3, though this is still only being planned.
PSP will be able to send its files straight to the psp from anywhere in the world, and it can also control its DVR functionalities
-nope, sorry. Maybe for Sony produced movies, but I doubt any of the other studios will jump on this one.

Firmware updates will add more functionality, much like with the psp
-another DUH !

The Blu Ray Player functionality doesnt cost as much as a stand alone player because the Cell and RSX can take care of alot of the stuff the ps3 will need to do to be able to read the disks
- another Huh ?

Fall release date for ps3, no release date for online service, but expected to launch w/ the system
- a double huh ? no release date but expected to release w/ fall release of system, hence, a release date

Wow, your source must be a few points shy of retarted.

[quote name='Plinko']Wow...loaded with crap I don't need and won't use. All I care about is playing the new Ratchet and Clank games.[/QUOTE]

well you are in the minority...

[quote name='shieryda']If the console has all those capabilities, it would almost have to cost more than $300 at launch.

Sounds intriguing, but I'll believe it when I see it.[/QUOTE]
my thoughts exactly...but the dvr functionality isn't that far off, as microsoft had talked about it for the xbox, and then said it would have to come next gen, but haven't talked about it so far for the 360. Also the d/l itunes thing has been talked about previously for both the ps3 and xbox 360, and I wouldn't be suprised if both the dvr and itunes thing is something we see b4 this next generation is over.

***PS3 will serve as a location free player for the psp, means you can watch the dvd's that you have in your ps3 on your psp (from anywhere in the world), or any other video files you have on your ps3, though this is still only being planned.***

I really like this Idea and I hope it is true.

[quote name='DJSteel']well you are in the minority...[/QUOTE]

Actually, he's in the majority. As the majority will never use all this crap. Remember, this is no longer a "gamers" hobby, the market is Madden and GTA clones...

Lets not forget that only 10% of Xbox users had XBL. Even after Halo 2. So please... lets not base everything on the majority of the people here. We're all gamers, but this hobby no longer belongs to us, Sony ruined that long ago.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']What the fuck does that part about the Cell and RSX have to do w/ Blu Ray functionaility?[/QUOTE]
I assume it means since the PS3 runs off a cell processor it won't cost as much to add BluRay functionality. Most standalone players aren't going to have as much processing power which equates to a higher cost inorder to make it work.

Many people were frightened when they announced stand alone BluRay players would be $800 - $1000. If Sony can add this at a much cheaper cost it would be great news.

And I really like the fact that they are suposedly shooting for DVR capability. I don't have a TiVo so if I can get another use out of the PS3 it would be niiice. (Much like when the PS2 came out and I didn't have a dvd player yet.)

Alot of that sounds alot like the PSX all over again. And we all know how well that did.

I think this is 100% BS, And if it was true I think we would be looking at a $1000 console.

[quote name='Sarrasis']I assume it means since the PS3 runs off a cell processor it won't cost as much to add BluRay functionality. Most standalone players aren't going to have as much processing power which equates to a higher cost inorder to make it work.

Many people were frightened when they announced stand alone BluRay players would be $800 - $1000. If Sony can add this at a much cheaper cost it would be great news.[/QUOTE]

Yeah ... still seems sketchy. I'm no tech-head, but how does a graphics chip slash processor improve a laser's ability to get info off a disk? Standalone players don't HAVE processing power, because they don't need it. A glaring tech untruth like that makes me doubt the info in its entirety. Though I guess blatant distortion could make this more credible as actually coming from Sony ...

[quote name='bmulligan']PS3 will serve as a location free player for the psp, means you can watch the dvd's that you have in your psp on your psp (from anywhere in the world), or any other video files you have on your ps3, though this is still only being planned.
PSP will be able to send its files straight to the psp from anywhere in the world, and it can also control its DVR functionalities
-nope, sorry. Maybe for Sony produced movies, but I doubt any of the other studios will jump on this one.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='pimpinc333']***PS3 will serve as a location free player for the psp, means you can watch the dvd's that you have in your ps3 on your psp (from anywhere in the world), or any other video files you have on your ps3, though this is still only being planned.***

I really like this Idea and I hope it is true.[/QUOTE]

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=f27KcX7yRXHLmz0RwlPAejHiovJ4AM1o5Ao=?CategoryName=tv_LocationFreeTVs&ProductSKU=LFPK1&Dept=tvvideo&INT=sstyle-tvvideo-deptfeature-LFPK1|sstyle:sy_dept_content_b:tvvideo

edit: this company makes a similar product (and better according to the reviews) - http://www.slingboxers.com/

[quote name='trq']Yeah ... still seems sketchy. I'm no tech-head, but how does a graphics chip slash processor improve a laser's ability to get info off a disk? Standalone players don't HAVE processing power, because they don't need it. A glaring tech untruth like that makes me doubt the info in its entirety. Though I guess blatant distortion could make this more credible as actually coming from Sony ...[/QUOTE]Exactly what confused me. What the hell did that mean?

[quote name='Beana Blasta']does anyone know how many ports this sytem will have? and any new on Divx capabilities?[/QUOTE]

My guess is that lots of games will be ported from the Xbox 360 to the PS3 but I don't know what the specific number will be. :D

[quote name='javeryh']My guess is that lots of games will be ported from the Xbox 360 to the PS3 but I don't know what the specific number will be. :D[/QUOTE]
i mean controller ports

[quote name='Beana Blasta']i mean controller ports[/QUOTE]

I know, I was just messing with you. I would guess 4 controller ports - it seems to be the standard now...

actually ps3 has bluetooth which supports 8 devices. So including the PS3 you can use 7 wireless controllers. It also has 6 USB slots but I don't know if you can have wired controllers through that.

What is the point of a DVR with the PS3 if it doesn't come with a HDD? If it does have DVR it better be HD DVR or all the "Our system is real HD" talk is more BS then ever. (If the PS3 has HD DVR I will be all over it on launch.)

[quote name='CapAmerica']Alot of that sounds alot like the PSX all over again. And we all know how well that did.

I think this is 100% BS, And if it was true I think we would be looking at a $1000 console.[/QUOTE]
Why would it cost any more (in a hardware sense) to add all of this?

* PS3 will have online service that goes beyond xbox live
- I am sure this will have a monthly fee.
* PS3 will be a DVR
-All that would be needed to add this is software (but will I be able to record live tv while I am playing a game on PS3?
* It will connect with psp
-No surprise, this worked out great for Nintendo with the GBA :roll:
* There are alot of games being worked on for it right now in the US (alot more then what people know about)
-Just like there is a lot more games for the Revolution and 360 we don't know about duh.
* The final ps3 dev kit is alot faster than they thought (according to the developer)
-Not if you ask the guy that now is collecting unemployment for saying it is not.
* The ps3 will have an itunes type service to let you download HI DEF movies, music, etc
-Just like MS Marketplace (MS said you will be able to dl HD movies in the future and who wants to buy music you can only listen to on the PS3 or PSP?)
* The Ps3 will take the media center functionality the 360 has even further
-OK how?
* PS3 will serve as a location free player for the psp, means you can watch the dvd's that you have in your psp on your psp (from anywhere in the world), or any other video files you have on your ps3, though this is still only being planned.
-A great idea but wont cost any more to add this.

I also see Sony charging monthly fee for DVR and online.

But this will not cost any more money hardware wise to add this stuff to the PS3. The only question is how will it affect my gaming??

So basically this whole thing got shot down. I guess no one should put anything on here until Sony says something officially first. I really don't care about the PS3 since it more than likely will cost around 500 bucks anyway. It seems like one of those high tech PC gaming rigs that guys need vans to transport from competition to competition. Ahhh, like someone said, Sony ruined this hobby for us. All this processor power will only go to make GTA:USA where you can drive from LA to New York with no loading screens. Then you can crosslink with the PSP so that some hoochie mamas will be at every truck stop to give you some "hot coffee".

[quote name='CapAmerica']Alot of that sounds alot like the PSX all over again. And we all know how well that did[/QUOTE]last i checked, psx did pretty damn well. hell, they still sell a decent amount of games for it.

[quote name='thagoat']last i checked, psx did pretty damn well. hell, they still sell a decent amount of games for it.[/QUOTE]
CapAmerica is talking about the "PSX" not Playstation.
psx.jpg

If anyone is confused about the use of the CELL and RSX for Blu-Ray decoding, I'll try to explain it as simple as possible.

Optical discs tend to be pretty much the same, there are a few difference in what most people refer to as "grooves" and data is packed differently, plus the intensity of the laser used to decode data tends to differ as well, however, what truly matters is what the appliance does with the data.

Take for example, a DVD. If you put a DVD into a PSOne or a Saturn, it will -try- to read the disc , it will spend quite a while trying to read it, why doesn't anything happen? The data the laser -can- read can't be decoded, for example, compressed/encrypted MPEG2 data. Even if it read all the data, it would have to be decoded, the consoles just don't have the processor power to emulate a codec and don't have the chipsets to do it automatically.

The PS3 will not have dedicated Blu-Ray video hardware, in other words, no decoding chips for, what is it, umm, MPEG4 data? The processsor [CELL/RSX] however will process software codecs that will allow the play back of Blu Ray movies.

Most computers and entry level DVD players run off software codecs. There are very expensive hardware decoding cards for PC's. Higher end DVD players actually use hardware based decoders, some mid range DVD players use sofrware for video and hardware for audio. My Sony, according to the documentation included, has its own individual signal processors for video and audio. And compared to my PS2 [also software codecs] the sound and image quality is leaps and bounds beyond it.

I guess the people who don't care for this kind of stuff should stick to their Gamecubes and Wal-Mart DVD players.

They announced the Location Free function back at E3. Remember? The PS3 would be the household media hub. (In not so many words.)

Im glad the location free will be included with the PS3 since it's pointless to buy the equipment needed to run it ATM at such high cost... I'm just glad that Sony is even thinking of a "Xbox Live" utility... I say they win the online war for me if they either have online costs half or less than what Xbox does or just offer it free. Free is what it really should be.

Man, if it's free, there's really no reason to stay with Xbox Live. You could say that would offset an initally higher cost if the online is free. 5 years of Xbox Live will make these first 360s cost a MINIMUM of $650. A $500 PS3 with free online capabilities doesn't sound so bad now does it? Hell, Sony might even talk us into paying $600 the first year.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I wouldn't mind spending another $300 on a console that has high quality launch titles and what not, but I'm not going to go out there and spend $600 just for a Blu-Ray player with a few medicore launch titles and what not. The only launch title I'm interested in is the new MGS, and hopefully Tekken makes the launch window to.

As much as I'm a fan of Live, I do hope Sony gets on the ball with their live service. The current PS2 online service is a joke.

But if Sony thinks everyone is gonna spend $600+ on their machine they must be joking. Yes, people were spending lots of money on the 360's when it came to eBay and Christmas, but those people were still a minority.

[quote name='AFStealth']Yeah, because launch titles are never mediocre, right?

Btw, Metal Gear Solid 4 will not be a launch title.[/QUOTE]

Well I wouldn't consider GT mediocre but I wasn't a fan of the series. I'm more of a PGR/Rallisport type in terms of racing, as well as Burnout.

That sucks that MGS4 won't be a launch title.

bread's done
Back