PS2 games and personality or "What do your favorite PS2 games reveal about you?"

dopa345

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
This is a little thread I started in another forum that turned out to be pretty interesting. I happen to be in the medical field and I also have a strong interest in human behavior so I thought I'd try a little experiment. I had people post their top 10 favorite PS2 games in order as well as their age, gender and highest level of education with no other information. From that I tried to discern their personality just from that information alone. To my surprise, I actually was pretty successful (got 7 right out of 11) so I thought I'd try it here with a more "sophisticated" gamer population. If anyone is interested, I'll do the first five lists. Please only post if 1) you give it alot of thought as the more accurate the list, the better the result, 2) you're willing to give accurate feedback (i.e. how right or wrong I was).

BTW, a link to a good, quick Myers-Briggs online quiz can be found here:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

So after I give my shot, if you could post your actual personality subtype we can see how close (or far) I was.

Top Ten PS2 Games:
Amplitude
Frequency
Grand Theft Auto III
Katamari Damacy
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Sonic Mega Collection Plus
Taiko Drum Master
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Twisted Metal: Black
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution

Education:
Some College

Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 2
Rez
Gungrave
Gitarooman
Shadow Hearts Covenant
Shadow Hearts
Xenosaga
Xenosaga 2
Technic Beat

Male,Age 21, some college

Top Ten PS2 games:

Final Fantasy X
Devil May Cry
Burnout 3
Resident Evil 4
Devil May Cry 3
God of War
Silent Hill 3
Metal Gear Solid 3
Virtua Fighter 4
Splinter Cell

Male, 21, College.

Top 10 PS2 games in no specific order
MGS2
FFX
La Pucelle Tactics
Devil May Cry
Burnout 3
PoP Sands of Time
Spider Man 2
Amplitude
Gran Turismo 3
Onimusha 3

Male

Education
4th year of college

Top Ten PS2 games (in no particular order):

Katamari Damacy
We Love Katamari
Ratchet and Clank
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
God of War
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
Final Fantasy X
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Male
College- bachelor of science degree to be completed this year.

top ten ps2 games
  • Ratchet and Clank: Going commando
  • DDR extreme 2
  • In the groove
  • Disgaea
  • Guitar Hero
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  • DDR Max 2
  • Timesplitters
  • Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
  • Marvel vs. capcom 2
Education: 10th grade.

Dang, too late. It would have been really cool to see how close you would have gotten!

* Edit

I decided to post my list in the hopes that you do this again :
1.Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons Of Liberty
2.Shadow of the Colossus
3.Katamari Damacy
4.Gitaroo Man
5.Devil May Cry
6.God of War
7.X-Men Legends
8.Twisted Metal : Black
9.Burnout 3
10.Soul Calibur 2

17, Male, Currently high school senior

[quote name='dtarasev']Dang, too late. It would have been really cool to see how close you would have gotten![/QUOTE]

It's not how close he gets, Its how honest you are with yourself :)

Top 10 PS2 Games
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kingdom Hearts
Tekken 5
Katamari Damacy
Capcom Classics Collection
Rygar: The Legendary Adventure
Disgaea
Guilty Gear X2

Education Level
College Sophomore

I'll post to see if there is another round.

TOP 10
1. Grand Theft Auto III
2. Shadow of the Colossus
3. Gladius
4. God of War
5. Freedom Fighters
6. X-Men Legends
7. R&C Going Commando
8. ICO
9. Prince of Persia SOT
10. Kingdom Hearts

Education: College Graduate (BA)

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Top Ten PS2 Games:
Amplitude
Frequency
Grand Theft Auto III
Katamari Damacy
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Sonic Mega Collection Plus
Taiko Drum Master
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Twisted Metal: Black
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution

Education:
Some College[/QUOTE]

Here's my first stab at it. The way I tried to do this is to derive a Myers-Briggs personality type from your list of games (that's the four letter acronym that I'll assign to each profile).

ESFP

This list of games suggest a strongly extroverted personality; someone who loves company and active conversation and really dislikes doing things alone. Actually you probably feel "energized" around people but when you're by yourself, you just feel uncomfortable if not lethargic. Thus I bet your dorm room/apartment is the physical center for your social circle; you either live with a bunch of other people or always have company around. You love to talk and can carry a conversation about any topic, anytime often jumping from topic to topic at the drop of a hat and in particular are a gifted storyteller and performer (perhaps you're in a band just based on your preference to music games). Spontaneous possibly to the point of implusivity, you're always on the move to look for new experiences; this probably reflects in your gaming preferences to avoid games requring a long time commitment and you likely play several games at once rather that focusing on beating one before moving to another. Your bon vivant personality though may make you optimistic to a fault and people may take advantage of your overriding generosity and impulsiveness. As a people person, you'll probably gravitate away from subjects and potential career choices that force you to work alone such as math and science oriented careers and are probably thinking more about business, politics, teaching or anything in which social interaction is a paramount compnent.

[quote name='dopa345']Here's my first stab at it. The way I tried to do this is to derive a Myers-Briggs personality type from your list of games (that's the four letter acronym that I'll assign to each profile).

ESFP

This list of games suggest a strongly extroverted personality; someone who loves company and active conversation and really dislikes doing things alone. Actually you probably feel "energized" around people but when you're by yourself, you just feel uncomfortable if not lethargic. Thus I bet your dorm room/apartment is the physical center for your social circle; you either live with a bunch of other people or always have company around. You love to talk and can carry a conversation about any topic, anytime often jumping from topic to topic at the drop of a hat and in particular are a gifted storyteller and performer (perhaps you're in a band just based on your preference to music games). Spontaneous possibly to the point of implusivity, you're always on the move to look for new experiences; this probably reflects in your gaming preferences to avoid games requring a long time commitment and you likely play several games at once rather that focusing on beating one before moving to another. Your bon vivant personality though may make you optimistic to a fault and people may take advantage of your overriding generosity and impulsiveness. As a people person, you'll probably gravitate away from subjects and potential career choices that force you to work alone such as math and science oriented careers and are probably thinking more about business, politics, teaching or anything in which social interaction is a paramount compnent.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

[quote name='Supercake']Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 2
Rez
Gungrave
Gitarooman
Shadow Hearts Covenant
Shadow Hearts
Xenosaga
Xenosaga 2
Technic Beat

Male,Age 21, some college[/QUOTE]

ISTP

In constrast to the preceeding profile, this list suggests a more introverted personality though by you're by no means a solitary person. You’re probably more the laid back, even-keeled "chill" member in your social circle until someone brings up a topic that you’re passionate about then you probably can’t stop talking. Similarly in terms of projects or activities, you're kind of an "all or nothing" type; when involved in something of little interest, you tend to play a more passive role, however if it involves something in your area of interest or expertise, you throw yourself completely into it. For some, your detached persona can be construed as being aloof or insensitive and you’re probably quick with the witty/sarcastic one-liner. You have an analytical mind that favors mechanical versus artistic pursuits but probably find it hard to stay interested in the lecture hall; you prefer hands on learning and thus I would guess you’re pursuing or considering a major in engineering or computer science but you probably also have a deep interest in a completely unrelated field leading to either a second major or minor in a subject completely unrelated like philosophy or a foreign language. As a side note, often people with this personality are very particular about their personal space and I wonder if you have a pet peeve of people messing up or going through your things without asking.

[quote name='zionoverfire']:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:[/QUOTE]That pretty much covers it.

I'd like to know a bit more about your methods after you do the others. Maybe I can figure out where you went so wrong. :lol:

If you linked to an actual Myers-Briggs quiz we could post our results and compare them.

Top Ten PS2 Games:

1)Twisted Metal: Black
2)Grand Theft Auto III
3)NBA Street
4)Midnight Club 3: DUB
5)Need for Speed Underground
6)Dark Cloud 2
7)Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
8)War of the Monsters
9)Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
10)Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando

Education:
currently a Junior in High school

Oh yea, i would like to know why it is restricted to ps2 games? is it b/c you are most familiar with ps2 games?

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']That pretty much covers it.

I'd like to know a bit more about your methods after you do the others. Maybe I can figure out where you went so wrong. :lol:

If you linked to an actual Myers-Briggs quiz we could post our results and compare them.[/QUOTE]

Ouch, how far off was I? Part of it might have been that I wasn't familiar with half the games you posted and had to look up reviews to get a sense of what kind of games they were but I definitely would have pegged you as a strong extrovert.

Anyway here's a link to a pretty decent online Myers-Briggs quiz that should take 5-10 min tops to take:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

[quote name='dopa345']Ouch, how far off was I? Part of it might have been that I wasn't familiar with half the games you posted and had to look up reviews to get a sense of what kind of games they were but I definitely would have pegged you as a strong extrovert.

Anyway here's a link to a pretty decent online Myers-Briggs quiz that should take 5-10 min tops to take:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm[/QUOTE]Your Type is
ISTJ
Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging
Strength of the preferences %
89 38 88 1

ISTJ type description by D.Keirsey
ISTJ type description by J. Butt

Qualitative analysis of your type formula

You are:

* very expressed introvert
* moderately expressed sensing personality
* very expressed thinking personality
* slightly expressed judging personality

I'd say you were pretty damn far off. Better luck next time. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Your Type is
ISTJ
Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging
Strength of the preferences %
89 38 88 1

ISTJ type description by D.Keirsey
ISTJ type description by J. Butt

Qualitative analysis of your type formula

You are:

* very expressed introvert
* moderately expressed sensing personality
* very expressed thinking personality
* slightly expressed judging personality

I'd say you were pretty damn far off. Better luck next time. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Actually that was really helpful. I think my big mistake was that I totally misinterpreted what kind of games Amplitude and Frequency are since I've never played them and had to try to figure what they were from reviews. Thanks.

My turn, my turn

Top 10 PS2 games:
Shadow of the Collossus
Final Fantasy X
Kingdom Hearts
Medal of Honor:Frontline
Taiko Drum Master
Katamari Damacy
Gran Turismo 3
Star Wars Battlefront
Burnout 3
Prince of Persia

College:Air Force Technical School

Top Ten:

Final Fantasy X
God of War
Burnout 3
Devil May Cry 3
Gran Turismo 4
Guitar Hero
Shinobi
Dragon Quest 8
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

College: Not yet

Don't be discourage by sblymnlcrymnl. Maybe with me you'll hit the jackpot since my games are very mainstream and you've probably played most of them. :)

[quote name='dopa345']ISTP

In constrast to the preceeding profile, this list suggests a more introverted personality though by you're by no means a solitary person. You’re probably more the laid back, even-keeled "chill" member in your social circle until someone brings up a topic that you’re passionate about then you probably can’t stop talking. Similarly in terms of projects or activities, you're kind of an "all or nothing" type; when involved in something of little interest, you tend to play a more passive role, however if it involves something in your area of interest or expertise, you throw yourself completely into it. For some, your detached persona can be construed as being aloof or insensitive and you’re probably quick with the witty/sarcastic one-liner. You have an analytical mind that favors mechanical versus artistic pursuits but probably find it hard to stay interested in the lecture hall; you prefer hands on learning and thus I would guess you’re pursuing or considering a major in engineering or computer science but you probably also have a deep interest in a completely unrelated field leading to either a second major or minor in a subject completely unrelated like philosophy or a foreign language. As a side note, often people with this personality are very particular about their personal space and I wonder if you have a pet peeve of people messing up or going through your things without asking.[/QUOTE]

It's right in some ways. I'll not care about schoolwork, like essays unless it involves a subject I care about, or better, creative writing. I'm not so in the "mechanical" mindset, anything science throws me off, I'm horrible at math. The most truthful thing is the talking. I usually don't say much at all (depends on who is around), but if certain subjects are brought up, I'll talk to no end.

I always figured that my games show me as someone who tries to find deeper meaning, mostly in the emotional side of games. I will gladly overlook gameplay if the game's story and draw me in and leave a lasting impression. Silent Hill 2 and 3 are obviously not the best games for gameplay, but storywise they are great.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Don't be discourage by sblymnlcrymnl. Maybe with me you'll hit the jackpot since my games are very mainstream and you've probably played most of them. :)[/QUOTE]

That's okay. Deep down he's really a party animal at heart, he just doesn't know it yet :) .

I'll give a few more a go tonight.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Top Ten PS2 games:

Final Fantasy X
Devil May Cry
Burnout 3
Resident Evil 4
Devil May Cry 3
God of War
Silent Hill 3
Metal Gear Solid 3
Virtua Fighter 4
Splinter Cell

Male, 21, College.[/QUOTE]

Here goes nothing.....

ESFP

Having FF X as your favorite game is a bit of an outlier, compared to the rest of your list so I do run the risk of being way off (how's that for hedging...). However, I would think you’re closer to my vastly off the mark description of sblymnlcrymnl as someone spontaneous with a drive to see and experience new things and be around people. I think this is a bit restrained so you’re not as impulsive as that profile suggests and you probably have bit of a competitive streak in you as well. You're also an avid conversationaist and will give you opinion willingly on any topic. You dislike learning abstract subjects that have little practical utility so I would guess you’re considering a major/career in business or marketing on anything without a defined routine and a great deal of interpersonal interaction and unpredictability. You also tend to make decisions based on personal experience and “common sense” versus theoretical principles.

[quote name='dopa345']
Having FF X as your favorite game is a bit of an outlier, compared to the rest of your list so I do run the risk of being way off (how's that for hedging...). However, I would think you’re closer to my vastly off the mark description of sblymnlcrymnl as someone spontaneous with a drive to see and experience new things and be around people. I think this is a bit restrained so you’re not as impulsive as that profile suggests and you probably have bit of a competitive streak in you as well. You're also an avid conversationaist and will give you opinion willingly on any topic. You dislike learning abstract subjects that have little practical utility so I would guess you’re considering a major/career in business or marketing on anything without a defined routine and a great deal of interpersonal interaction and unpredictability. You also tend to make decisions based on personal experience and “common sense” versus theoretical principles.[/QUOTE]

You're pretty close. It's true I don't like abstract things (I dont understand the concept of card based RPGs, and I don't like philosophy). Although my major is molecular and cell biology, and i dont have much opinions on things. But everything else is pretty dead on. Thanks for spending the time on this, hopefully this will help you more on the research.

If you want to, here's my top ten:

Street Fighter Anniversary collection
Soul Calibur II
Soul Calibur III
Street Fighter EX 3
Taiko Drum Master
Radiata Stories
Shadow of Rome
King Of Fighters 00/01
Samurai Warriors
Samurai Western
Bombastic

Male, 27, 3rd yr in college

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Jak II
Resident Evil 4
Grand Theft Auto III
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Psychonauts
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

Male, 18, Currently in College

[quote name='capitalist_mao']Top 10 PS2 games in no specific order
MGS2
FFX
La Pucelle Tactics
Devil May Cry
Burnout 3
PoP Sands of Time
Spider Man 2
Amplitude
Gran Turismo 3
Onimusha 3

Male

Education
4th year of college[/QUOTE]

capitalist_mao

MGS2
FFX
La Pucelle Tactics
Devil May Cry
Burnout 3
PoP Sands of Time
Spider Man 2
Amplitude
Gran Turismo 3
Onimusha 3

ENTP

Mildly extroverted personality with a strong intellectual component. You enjoy conversation as an intellectual exercise and love to debate issues and often like to play the role of “devil’s advocate”; likewise, you’re not satisfied with established ways of doing things and are constantly, either consciously or not, trying to come up with new and better ways. You may also be the type to juggle several projects at once (for example, being a type of gamer than plays multiple games at once rather than focusing on one game before moving to another) and you have the discipline to see them through, though you are perfectly willing to cut corners in order to do so (thus you find tight bureaucratic structures extremely limiting). You also have low tolerance for those whom you view as completely wrong or incompetent and aren’t afraid to express this sentiment. You however have a generally optimistic outlook, however small setbacks tend to bother you a great deal more than it would to most people but conversely, major setbacks that would discourage others, you view as challenges to be overcome and you usually rise to the occasion. You may be the type that has “two faces”; driven and focused at work or school but completely relaxed and carefree in social settings and people familiar with you in one setting or another may be surprised at how different your “other self” is. My best guess is that you're an engineering or computer science major.

[quote name='dopa345']ENTP

Mildly extroverted personality with a strong intellectual component. You enjoy conversation as an intellectual exercise and love to debate issues and often like to play the role of “devil’s advocate”; likewise, you’re not satisfied with established ways of doing things and are constantly, either consciously or not, trying to come up with new and better ways. You may also be the type to juggle several projects at once (for example, being a type of gamer than plays multiple games at once rather than focusing on one game before moving to another) and you have the discipline to see them through, though you are perfectly willing to cut corners in order to do so (thus you find tight bureaucratic structures extremely limiting). You also have low tolerance for those whom you view as completely wrong or incompetent and aren’t afraid to express this sentiment. You however have a generally optimistic outlook, however small setbacks tend to bother you a great deal more than it would to most people but conversely, major setbacks that would discourage others, you view as challenges to be overcome and you usually rise to the occasion. You may be the type that has “two faces”; driven and focused at work or school but completely relaxed and carefree in social settings and people familiar with you in one setting or another may be surprised at how different your “other self” is. My best guess is that you're an engineering or computer science major.[/QUOTE]
Pretty close. The test I took rated me as an ENTJ. However, the J was rated as 1 (I assume that the more you assimilate into a certain trait, the higher the number is, therefore I was teetering on the line between J and P).

However, I wouldn't say I'm particularly driven at school, except merely to complete it :lol:.

I may not be a CS or Eng major, but, I toyed with it back when I was a freshmen and sophomore. I just didn't think it would be worth the pain and suffering;). I moved on to Poli Sci.

1. Ratchet and Clank Series
2. MGS Series
3. GTA Series
4. Kingdom Hearts 1
5. DMC1; not 3
6. Jak Series
7. Sly Series
8. Onimusha Series
9. Psi-Ops: THe Mindgate Conspiracy
10. Prince of Persia 1 and 3 (2 was a bit average)

HS Senior

This should be interesting:

Top 10 (not totally in order):
1. Devil May Cry
2. Metal Gear Solid 2
3: Ratchet & Clank
4. Shadow of the Colossus
5. NBA Street Volume 2
6. Guitar Hero
7. Grand Theft Auto III
8. Burnout 2
9. Beyond Good & Evil
10. Kingdom Hearts

Highest Education: Master's Degree

[quote name='sketch226']Top Ten PS2 games (in no particular order):

Katamari Damacy
We Love Katamari
Ratchet and Clank
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
God of War
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
Final Fantasy X
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Male
College- bachelor of science degree to be completed this year.[/QUOTE]

Last one for now....

ESTP

Highly extroverted with a strong spontaneous side, perhaps even someone who’s somewhat of a risk taker. You have a need to be active and on the move and also have a strong competitive side (though I would have expected more multiplayer games on your list like sports games or fighting games or maybe you express this is other ways like sports, poker etc…. or I could be wrong). You work well in groups as you excel in the brainstorming process but find it difficult You’re highly perceptive in your interpersonal relationships often unconsciously interpreting the hidden motivation of others which would serve you well in any field requiring face-to-face communication, such as business (especially entrepreneurship) or marketing; though as you mention you’re working on a B.S. degree, so I would guess it’s in psychology or some sort of behavioral science rather than something like physics or chemistry.

bread's done
Back