I am really sick of anime influence

Strell

CAGiversary!
Feedback
288 (100%)
Seriously. Can we please find another style to rip off repeatedly?

Every new webcomic in the goddamn world is nothing but feminine men and big breasted me-too women running around with triangle mouths, super powers, and angst. Throw in some half-ass wish-it-was-but-it-sorely-isn't lines and darkness. Oh, and don't forget the strange title, where you pick, say, a color (99% of the time it is blue, or some variation thereof, so cobalt or cerulean or something), a weapon name (as long as it isn't gun or sword), and then throw in an actual name. So, Blue Zweihander Gene. If you want, you can tack on a subtitle that is meant to be mysterious, like "Only the edges know."

Is it THAT hard to think up your own style? With your own shading, a different way to draw the eyes, and where every panel ISN'T some overly used pose? There's NOTHING intense about, say, talking about video games. Nothing. You do it all the time and guess what - dragons aren't flying around outside your window at night, the government doesn't have super secret humaniod battallions, and not every adventure you have has to be magnified to an apex of tension.

I won't mention that every cartoon these days is pushing some anime influences, and it is tiresome. Tiresome. Tiresome. Look, we know the sweatdrop. It is and has integrated into American culture. WE DON'T fuckING NEED IT ANYMORE.

We don't need adolescent kids running around with their friends in some sort of fantasy world where there is an evil force hellbent on destroying everything, but for SOME reason they just CAN'T get away from this one kid and his friends.

The fascination with names needs to stop. Konseka Ganseikai. Look, I can make them up too. Jingai Goujinsetazuo. Holy shit! I did it again!

If someone can please explain to me why seemingly everyone has a hardon for anime these days - in their stories, in their art, in cartoons, in webcomics, in every last goddamn scifi or fantasy novel at Barnes and Nobles - I'd really appreciate it.

I like anime. I always have. I knew about before it was really in the mainstream, but right now it's just sad. It would be one thing if it wasn't so transparently copied that EVERYTHING that employees it wasn't just a palette change, but that's not the case. It's all a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy, when the original fascimile wasn't all that great to begin with. In other words, if we had Cowboy Bebop calibur stuff running around all over the place, I could forgive it. But it's like Pokemon copying Pokemon copying DBZ.

Just fucking stop it.

Give me some goddamn originality these days. It's possible, I know it is.

//yes, a poor attempt at a rant, but meh, I'm not looking for approval

I agree. Anything that's "different", compared to your mentioned style, automatically sucks in the eyes of trollish children and man-boys across the 'Net.

Unlike you, and I feel sad to say this, I don't think it's possible for originality. :'(

A "drawererer" myself, I get easily annoyed at the new standard... so, more bitching to come (when I'm not at work)...

[quote name='Strell']

We don't need adolescent kids running around with their friends in some sort of fantasy world where there is an evil force hellbent on destroying everything, but for SOME reason they just CAN'T get away from this one kid and his friends.

[/QUOTE]

It's important for children and teens to have a strong imagination. (Now, for 15-19 year-olds to be running around role-playing, well...that's just weird) With or without Anime shows and graphic novels, kids will be running around immersed in their own world.

I agree with most of your Anime irks, however. It is an overly-cliched genre of cartoons and comics. Why, I was thinking the same exact thing as you when I paused on Cartoon Network for a minute.

[quote name='rabbitt'] (Now, for 15-19 year-olds to be running around role-playing, well...that's just weird). [/QUOTE]

Tell that to all the 20-somethings who played Dungeons & Dragons in college. I liked the video games, but never understood the paper-based RPGs.

Dane.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Tell that to all the 20-somethings who played Dungeons & Dragons in college. I liked the video games, but never understood the paper-based RPGs.

Dane.[/QUOTE]
If lotteries are the tax for those who are bad at math, D&D is the tax for people who're good at it.

The good stuff is REALLY good (though my impression of "good" anime is crap to most other people who like it....but i'm not into the typical stuff...i'm just a guy who likes well-done art, stories, movies etc.) but most of it's bad. I don't understand how shows like DBZ and Naruto are so damn popular.

The influence, I don't see as much. From what i understand, it's in a lot of kids cartoons and webcomics, but i hardly watch/read those.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Tell that to all the 20-somethings who played Dungeons & Dragons in college. I liked the video games, but never understood the paper-based RPGs.[/quote]

funny you mention that. i was just looking through the clubs list here at UW...there are about 15 D+D clubs, easily outranking the number of any one type of "cultural/leisure" club. I couldn't even get into d+d when I was 12, can't imagine i'd like it now. :lol:

The first thing you want to do is to follow jmcc's link in his sig to Achewood. That'll help get a lot of the anime-influenced webcomic junk out of your system.

[quote name='2poor']the only anime people need to watch is akira. no overly big breasts or eyes.[/QUOTE]
No plot either. The only redeeming quality was Cam Clarke, and they nixed him in the newer "better" (worse) dub.

The anime style has become popular, and it may or may not change in time. That said, there are many things about anime that lend itself well to simple comics. Facial expressions are as easy as drawing bigger eyes or a smaller mouth. None of those complicated wrinkles (read: talent required) or scrunches that a real face would do. Also, no one questions the physically impossible hairstyles/colors of anime characters. When I think of quality animation, I don't think of anime, I think of works by artists like Don Bluth and Walt Disney (when it was done by Walt). Anyway, as long as anime is here, its a part of american culture, the whole melting pot thing... so we have to live with it until its popularity dies down, or its quality goes up.

You guys are right but, if you guys are so picky about stuff then you won't enjoy anything, I love RGP's but just about all of them revolve around the same premise. I love anime but just about everything is utterly childish. I don't need to have a deep story all the times or amazing art direction, sometimes we just need a break from reality. (not that i would play d&d's at my age) Its so simple to avoid the things you guys said just don't look at all the anime you guys call crap and just enjoy the ones you guys like.

I hate anime its stupid to me. I have noticed what OP means in other places then internet. Watch almost any cartoon on tv nowadays and it has the anime influence. It's really annoying IMO.

[quote name='Kapwanil']The first thing you want to do is to follow jmcc's link in his sig to Achewood. That'll help get a lot of the anime-influenced webcomic junk out of your system.[/QUOTE]
They won't, which is a shame, because the current arc is shaping up to be awesome. I can't blame people, though. Achewood doesn't lend itself to casual reading at all.

I think it depends on how much of the anime a program leeches. I dig the look of Teen Titans. Sure it has some anime-ness to it, but I think it's much closer to the incredible Batman:TAS than anything else, with some anime quirks that actually give it charm rather than detract.

[quote name='Brak']I agree. Anything that's "different", compared to your mentioned style, automatically sucks in the eyes of trollish children and man-boys across the 'Net.

Unlike you, and I feel sad to say this, I don't think it's possible for originality. :'(

A "drawererer" myself, I get easily annoyed at the new standard... so, more bitching to come (when I'm not at work)...[/QUOTE]

It's not just kids, my friend, it's teenagers and young adults as well. Back in college (you know, way back like 4 years ago) I took a LOTR class because it sounded like fun and I had always been interested in LOTR but never really delved into it. The class was basically getting together and reading a chapter in the book and discussing what we were reading on our own. Of course, a bunch of the students in the class were the self-indulgent honors system asses (not all honors students are asses, but you know the ones) that knew everything there was to know on LOTR, anime and the such.

I basically sat in the class and would draw pictures on what I thought the characters looked like (not having seen the recently released first movie) and they were pretty damn good if I do say so myself. I tried to take a realistic approach to my work.

One day I happened to have to sit next to an honor student who drew in class too and she happened to be penciling out the typical anime school girl with a sword b.s. to the ooh's and aah's of her pals. The whore actually had the gall to look over at my paper and say "that's not bad" in a derogatory way sugar coated in pseudo-politeness.

I wanted to spit in her trendy thick rimmed "nerd" glasses.

I'm kida tired of it myself... it's one thing to do an entertaining and tasteful homage to the genre (Megas XLR), it's another to throw in stereotypical anime conventions for no other reason than an extra sell point (Teen Titans, amongst other far worse things I can't remember names of right now.)

Unfortunately, young trend-geeks seem to have no attention span, so it's all about quanity and not quality. It's OK if this shitty webcomic sucks, all I need is 10,000 hits to my webstore while it's the 'in' comic and I win! Then they can move on to something else. (I know a girl like this... I see her once a year at a con... and every single time, she's got a new 'best show/game ever' to worship. I've tried bringing up the previous year's item-of-choice before, and gotten nothing but bizzarre 'what's that' stares.)

The best thing to do is simply avoid contact with as much of it as you can. I read awhile back that sales of anime (real anime, not rip-off junk) plateaued- meaning we've hit the saturation point. it should calm down soon enough.

[quote name='TurkeyOnRye']I think it depends on how much of the anime a program leeches. I dig the look of Teen Titans. Sure it has some anime-ness to it, but I think it's much closer to the incredible Batman:TAS than anything else, with some anime quirks that actually give it charm rather than detract.[/QUOTE]Like I said, it's those damn koreans with their affordable animation studios. I'm surprised Futurama didn't come out looking like that. :roll: :lol:

[quote name='jmcc']They won't, which is a shame, because the current arc is shaping up to be awesome. I can't blame people, though. Achewood doesn't lend itself to casual reading at all.[/QUOTE]

ahhhh..so it's part of a larger story? i was gonna say, that strip makes less sense then most anime :lol:

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I know a girl like this... I see her once a year at a con... and every single time, she's got a new 'best show/game ever' to worship. I've tried bringing up the previous year's item-of-choice before, and gotten nothing but bizzarre 'what's that' stares.)[/QUOTE]
That's why if you look at animenfo.com, the top 100 or whatever animes that are rated the highest by fans are all from about 2001 till now. I think the top 10 is a cluster of shows from 2004-2005, and maybe Evangelion.

Personally, I'm bored of anime, not because of the look or style, but rather, because of the cliches that appear to be present in all of them. However, I'm thinking that some of those cliches are just present in Japanese media, or in Japanese Life. Battle Royale is essentially a live-action anime.

[quote name='Apossum']ahhhh..so it's part of a larger story? i was gonna say, that strip makes less sense then most anime :lol:[/QUOTE]
The strip is really character driven. So if you don't start at the beginning and get the whole view of how the characters tick, you just won't find it funny. It is though. How many other comics can get away with a robotic lying machine convincing a 6 year old that by touching a flower he got it pregnant and has to marry it to do the honorable thing? Then the kid's pen-pal from Japan comes and picks the flower to present to her friend by mail on their first meeting?

[quote name='jmcc']The strip is really character driven. So if you don't start at the beginning and get the whole view of how the characters tick, you just won't find it funny. It is though. How many other comics can get away with a robotic lying machine convincing a 6 year old that by touching a flower he got it pregnant and has to marry it to do the honorable thing? Then the kid's pen-pal from Japan comes and picks the flower to present to her friend by mail on their first meeting?[/QUOTE]I see the funny, but how do the characters matter? Maybe you need a better example. :lol:

[quote name='TurkeyOnRye']I think it depends on how much of the anime a program leeches. I dig the look of Teen Titans. Sure it has some anime-ness to it, but I think it's much closer to the incredible Batman:TAS than anything else, with some anime quirks that actually give it charm rather than detract.[/QUOTE]

I'd glady give Bruce Timm or Paul Dinni any organ they needed in a time of crisis.

How about we stop using anything Mario related while we're at it, if they is one thing that's been beaten to death worse than anime it's fucking mario.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I see the funny, but how do the characters matter? Maybe you need a better example. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I suppose. Because there's an even amount of non-wacky bits in the series that end up just as funny, if not moreso, because of the backstory of the characters. Roast Beef seems like a pretty blase character if you pick a random strip with him in it, but when you add in his background from previous strips and his blog (the author goes as far as to create blogs for all the main characters in the comic which are updated regularly) he goes beyond being just a 2 dimensional straightman to something much better.

I don't understand why people are always badmouthing dragon ball... in the 80's that stuff was completely mind blowing.

The 42 original Dragon Ball comic novels are incredibly illustrated, with a pretty good story.

As for getting sick of anime, it's easy not to if you don't consider it a "genre". Treat all cartoons equally, don't put something on a pedestal just because it's from Japan.

As the market for more mature animation grows in the U.S. I think you'll see an increase in "original" or less Asian-influenced animation.

It's amazing to me that people even care that much about it. I wish people would stop making romantic tragedies for example. They are ripping off Shakespeare so badly. :roll: Unless "Redneck Joe" is actually trying to make a show with all Japanese characters, all Japanese names, entirely in Japanese then I don't see the big deal. It's a style/technique in art. Art styles and techniques have been borrowed and sampled throughout all of history. Why should animation or anime be any different? ANIME ISN'T THAT SACRED! And that's coming from a huge anime fan BTW. Teen Titans borrows from Japanese anime style but is is still unique. I certainly wasn't up in arms when Project A-ko suggested that a Japanese A-ko was the daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman. I doubt anyone from Japan was like, "stop ripping off American comics!" either. Goku borrows heavily from Superman too. I'd much rather see anime art styles copied than see crap like 12. oz Mouse or more half-assed Williams Street art-style fodder (Space Ghost and ATHF not included since they are actually funny most of the time).

I like anime. I always have. I knew about before it was really in the mainstream, but right now it's just sad.

I find that a lot of people who feel this way were "in the know" about anime before it hit big in the US. It's the same feelings people have for FFVII bringing a new fanbase to RPGs.

The funny thing is that Batman and Justice League Unlimited borrow as heavily from anime as any show (the simple facial and body designs for example). The only reason people don't complain is that it doesn't have those anime "trademarks" such as the sweatdrop you mentioned. But then, not all anime has that either.

[quote name='jmcc']They won't, which is a shame, because the current arc is shaping up to be awesome. I can't blame people, though. Achewood doesn't lend itself to casual reading at all.[/QUOTE]

When my friends started extolling the virtues of Roast Beef and I caught up with most of the backlog I found it to be one of the best webcomics I've ever read.

And this arc just seems like it's going to be absolutely sick. I really want to see how Ray is going to hold up throughout the entire thing and I really do want to see Beef be a complete badass.

Ahhhh...like most things, tight writing and interesting characters makes a world of difference...

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I find that a lot of people who feel this way were "in the know" about anime before it hit big in the US. It's the same feelings people have for FFVII bringing a new fanbase to RPGs.[/QUOTE]
It happens with any media.

[quote name='Kapwanil']When my friends started extolling the virtues of Roast Beef and I caught up with most of the backlog I found it to be one of the best webcomics I've ever read.

And this arc just seems like it's going to be absolutely sick. I really want to see how Ray is going to hold up throughout the entire thing and I really do want to see Beef be a complete badass.

Ahhhh...like most things, tight writing and interesting characters makes a world of difference...[/QUOTE]
"I ain't need no Dell Inspiron to bust a man down on into his component pieces." That and the immediately subsequent crippling of the other competitor in the Fight reminded me why I like Beef so much.

[quote name='GuilewasNK'] I'd much rather see anime art styles copied than see crap like 12. oz Mouse [/QUOTE]

....Point, set, match.

Regardless, I believe everyone can agree on one thing.

GI Joe: Sigma Six does not need to exist. Period.

Just look at what they did to Scarlett.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I'd much rather see anime art styles copied than see crap like 12. oz Mouse[/QUOTE]
I like the originallity. That art style is a major inspiration to all my works of art in MS Paint, and my current comic...

[quote name='Strell']Seriously. Can we please find another style to rip off repeatedly?

Every new webcomic in the goddamn world is nothing but feminine men and big breasted me-too women running around with triangle mouths, super powers, and angst. Throw in some half-ass wish-it-was-but-it-sorely-isn't lines and darkness. Oh, and don't forget the strange title, where you pick, say, a color (99% of the time it is blue, or some variation thereof, so cobalt or cerulean or something), a weapon name (as long as it isn't gun or sword), and then throw in an actual name. So, Blue Zweihander Gene. If you want, you can tack on a subtitle that is meant to be mysterious, like "Only the edges know."

Is it THAT hard to think up your own style? With your own shading, a different way to draw the eyes, and where every panel ISN'T some overly used pose? There's NOTHING intense about, say, talking about video games. Nothing. You do it all the time and guess what - dragons aren't flying around outside your window at night, the government doesn't have super secret humaniod battallions, and not every adventure you have has to be magnified to an apex of tension.

I won't mention that every cartoon these days is pushing some anime influences, and it is tiresome. Tiresome. Tiresome. Look, we know the sweatdrop. It is and has integrated into American culture. WE DON'T fuckING NEED IT ANYMORE.

The fascination with names needs to stop. Konseka Ganseikai. Look, I can make them up too. Jingai Goujinsetazuo. Holy shit! I did it again!

If someone can please explain to me why seemingly everyone has a hardon for anime these days - in their stories, in their art, in cartoons, in webcomics, in every last goddamn scifi or fantasy novel at Barnes and Nobles - I'd really appreciate it.

I like anime. I always have. I knew about before it was really in the mainstream, but right now it's just sad. It would be one thing if it wasn't so transparently copied that EVERYTHING that employees it wasn't just a palette change, but that's not the case. It's all a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy, when the original fascimile wasn't all that great to begin with. In other words, if we had Cowboy Bebop calibur stuff running around all over the place, I could forgive it. But it's like Pokemon copying Pokemon copying DBZ.

Just fucking stop it.

Give me some goddamn originality these days. It's possible, I know it is.

//yes, a poor attempt at a rant, but meh, I'm not looking for approval[/QUOTE]

Dude, I was just thinking this yesterday. It's really out of control. I loved anime when it was called japanimation and KMFDM was the theme song to people looking like devils and cops with grenades hanging from his pubes. But now its one "please teacher" POS after another. Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Samurai Champloo (Maybe), Ninja Scroll, the Matrix Animes were a throwback to old styles, and hell... I'll even say I enjoyed Love Hina a little... but most anime these days are mind numbingly boring as all hell.

And now back to the anime style, its easy to make it look good, and people who cant draw, draw that. Thats pretty much it.

Read these webcomics, other than PA and CAD - they're pretty good....

http://www.wapsisquare.com/
http://www.punksandnerds.com/index.html
http://www.robandelliot.cycomics.com/
http://cheston.com/pbf/archive.html

Add this to the overexposure of hip hop, rap, cheesy poofy blonde singers, boy bands and entertainers that think they're Nobel fucking prize winning political scientists to the things I'm sick of.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Can anyone name ten American shows that rip the anime style? It really doesn't seem like that many do it IMO.[/QUOTE]

You know, I tried to do this, and only came up with 5 US shows that have Jp influences.

Teen Titans (sucks FLCL's cock so badly, though I love the show)
Winx
Ben10
GI Joe Sigma 6
TMNT

But Jp shows, do take up about a 1/3 of most US cartoon lineups.

Also, as far as cartoons are concerned, this has been going on forever... and lets not forget that Transformers, Silverhawks, Voltron, Thundercats, etc...etc...were all Jp shows...only popularized in the US heavily.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Totally Spies.[/QUOTE]

I admit, that show is a guilty pleasure of mine. :lol: I think I even made a topic about it once.

I love anime and own way too much, but yeah, I definitely see what you're saying. It got popular over here and now everyone's trying to copy it and doing a shit job of it. Tis' the American way.

[quote name='Chacrana']I love anime and own way too much, but yeah, I definitely see what you're saying. It got popular over here and now everyone's trying to copy it and doing a shit job of it. Tis' the American way.[/QUOTE]

The only problem is that most American toons are kind of shitty to start with in regards to art. Disney's stuff is usually decent (Gargoyles is still one of the finest examples of American animation I can think of), Warner Bros' DC toons are great looking and that is about it. It's almost as if American animation purposefully goes for an ugly look. It's the Ren and Stimpy effect. Most American toons are crudely drawn an only focus on "humor". Batman, Batman Beyond, JLU and Gargoyles are some of the only American dramatic/action cartoons (that weren't drawn in a half-assed way) that gained real popularity in the US.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The only problem is that most American toons are kind of shitty to start with in regards to art. Disney's stuff is usually decent (Gargoyles is still one of the finest examples of American animation I can think of), Warner Bros' DC toons are great looking and that is about it. It's almost as if American animation purposefully goes for an ugly look. It's the Ren and Stimpy effect. Most American toons are crudely drawn an only focus on "humor". Batman, Batman Beyond, JLU and Gargoyles are some of the only American dramatic/action cartoons (that weren't drawn in a half-assed way) that gained real popularity in the US.[/QUOTE]

Maybe ugly, but Ren and Stimpy probably took more time to make one episode than 5 Jp animes combined. One thing I hate about Anime is that everything looks like its 15 frames a sec. Watching Ghost in the Shell: SAC is like watching paint dry. They just have a character stand still for 35 mins only moving their mouth and then have a 2 min action sequence. Sense the story is usually stolen Gibson material set to suck, I just Tivo them and FF to the cool parts.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Maybe ugly, but Ren and Stimpy probably took more time to make one episode than 5 Jp animes combined. One thing I hate about Anime is that everything looks like its 15 frames a sec. Watching Ghost in the Shell: SAC is like watching paint dry. They just have a character stand still for 35 mins only moving their mouth and then have a 2 min action sequence. Sense the story is usually stolen Gibson material set to suck, I just Tivo them and FF to the cool parts.[/QUOTE]

There is some truth to that. That is a trade off for the highly detailed backgrounds and characters. I prefer it that way but I can understand how some don't care for it. That is why shows like Justice League are so important IMO. I has the smoother animation of American shows and the detail and style of anime. It wraps all of that in a package that is unique to anything else available.

bread's done
Back