Arrested Development Finale Tonight

kaw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Well this snuck up on me. I knew it was in February, but figured it would be on Monday or Sunday (like the show used to be). But no, in a final eff you Fox did virtually no promotion and put it on a Friday night countering NBC's Olympic Opening Ceremonies. :roll: ... Nice.

Two hour finale - 8:00PM

[quote name='Graystone']I never watched the show but I'm going to watch this. I might rent the box sets and if good enough buy them.[/QUOTE]

Arrested Development is one of those shows you have to watch in order to really get the jokes, just a forewarning.

I'm definitely going to be watching this. I'm going to be playing 'final countdown' non-stop in honor of Gob!

Great show, bought both seasons after my wife told me I had to see this show. Fox sucks, reality crap over this? Hopefully it will be picked up by another network. Totally recommend renting the first two seasons.

I haven't seen any commercials for it, the only way I know it's on tonight is that I caught Will Arnett on the Daily Show last night.
I'm still hoping someone picks it up.

Got it Tivo'ed. Had to double-check to make sure it's still on my season pass because it's been so ridiculously long since they aired the last episodes. Let's hope Showtime actually takes a risk and picks up the show. Probably wont be able to boost Showtimes subscribers too much but I'm sure it's gotta gain more interest than they have now. Are the AD DVD sets selling well? Is there any websites that track DVD sales? It would be interesting to see how well these DVD's are selling compared to some other shows.

[quote name='Tyga24']Got it Tivo'ed. Had to double-check to make sure it's still on my season pass because it's been so ridiculously long since they aired the last episodes. Let's hope Showtime actually takes a risk and picks up the show. Probably wont be able to boost Showtimes subscribers too much but I'm sure it's gotta gain more interest than they have now. Are the AD DVD sets selling well? Is there any websites that track DVD sales? It would be interesting to see how well these DVD's are selling compared to some other shows.[/QUOTE]
Nope, there aren't any websites which give sales number, studios are purposely tight lipped because DVDs are ridiculously profitable and they don't want this fact to get out for a variety of reasons, tax purposes and the like.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Nope, there aren't any websites which give sales number, studios are purposely tight lipped because DVDs are ridiculously profitable and they don't want this fact to get out for a variety of reasons, tax purposes and the like.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I thought with video game sales always being released and seeing dvd sales rankings in mags like Entertainment Weekly that there might be some actual statistical figures.

Waaaah! Why didn't I read this thread BEFORE it actually started. Lame. Oh well... I know what I'll be downloading off of BitTorrent tomorrow.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']George Bush doesn't care about black puppets![/QUOTE]

I noticed that too. I was laughing my ass off.

[quote name='dcfox']Anybody know why fox is calling this the season finale and not the series finale?[/QUOTE]

In one commercial, I saw them use both phrases. I dont think they even know what they are doing.

:applause::applause::applause: Arrested Development.

If they do come back, I wonder what they'll do next since they tied up all the loose ends pretty well.

[quote name='dcfox']:applause::applause::applause: Arrested Development.

If they do come back, I wonder what they'll do next since they tied up all the loose ends pretty well.[/QUOTE]

well Oscar was on the boat so they left it open

[quote name='redline']Hmmm, are you sure it was Oscar? ;)[/QUOTE]

I thought that was George? Oh well, I really enjoyed those four episodes. Can't wait for the DVD set to come out.

If this is indeed the last hurrah for AD, then television is losing one of it's best shows in its prime. Great series of episodes to go out on though, too bad FOX put zero effort behind promoting this.

[quote name='joeposh']If this is indeed the last hurrah for AD, then television is losing one of it's best shows in its prime. Great series of episodes to go out on though, too bad FOX put zero effort behind promoting this.[/QUOTE]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the show launch on Sunday, which was probably their premiere primetime spot following the Simpsons?

I don't really think it needed to be cancelled (there are far worse shows on every station), but the fact is its a niche comedy that not everyone loves. My fiancee loves it, I only find about half of it amusing. And The Office is actually the best sitcom currently ;)

The series may have come to a abrupt end, but it had more quality episodes and laughs than most sitcoms do in decade long runs. I laughed out loud more to this series than any other.

I was relieved that the finale was just as great, if not better, than the normal episodes. I'm looking foward to a season 3 DVD packed full of extras, and hopefully a revival on another network.

[quote name='botticus']Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the show launch on Sunday, which was probably their premiere primetime spot following the Simpsons?

I don't really think it needed to be cancelled (there are far worse shows on every station), but the fact is its a niche comedy that not everyone loves. My fiancee loves it, I only find about half of it amusing. And The Office is actually the best sitcom currently ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes, it launched on a Sunday, but then it was moved to Mondays, and then Fox only showed it once every couple of weeks, then every couple of months. But what I think the zero effort joeposh was talking about was promoting the finale. I saw no commercials, even fox.com had very little information.

It's too bad, instead of airing reruns that could help gain the interest of new and casual viewers, Fox airs pure shit like War at Home, Skating with Celebrities, Nanny 911, and Meet Your New Mom.

[quote name='kaw']Yes, it launched on a Sunday, but then it was moved to Mondays, and then Fox only showed it once every couple of weeks, then every couple of months. But what I think the zero effort joeposh was talking about was promoting the finale. I saw no commercials, even fox.com had very little information.

It's too bad, instead of airing reruns that could help gain the interest of new and casual viewers, Fox airs pure shit like War at Home, Skating with Celebrities, Nanny 911, and Meet Your New Mom.[/QUOTE]
Agreed.

I'm disappointed to see it go, but I won't jump on the bandwagon lamenting that Fox has alot of reality shows while cancelling AD. Bottom line, AD is an expensive show to produce with its very large cast while reality shows are dirt cheap. An expensive show with low ratings will get dumped always for a cheap show with good ratings. I really hope showtime picks it up.

[quote name='redline']Hmmm, are you sure it was Oscar? ;)[/QUOTE]

yea you are right. It was George. Sometimes I get them confused

[quote name='botticus']Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the show launch on Sunday, which was probably their premiere primetime spot following the Simpsons?

I don't really think it needed to be cancelled (there are far worse shows on every station), but the fact is its a niche comedy that not everyone loves. My fiancee loves it, I only find about half of it amusing. And The Office is actually the best sitcom currently ;)[/QUOTE]

Well FOX also marketed it as a goofball comedy when it was first put out, and then put zero marketing push behind it, outside of a few "emmy award winning" ad's before the debut of the second season. They pretty much dug it's grave with the timeslot move and constant pre-emptions this season. I've seen ads for The Office ever since it debuted last spring, even when the first season was struggling to find itself. NBC stuck with the show and now it's a success because of a strong push (although I haven't been too keen on their treatment of Scrubs).

[quote name='joeposh']Well FOX also marketed it as a goofball comedy when it was first put out, and then put zero marketing push behind it, outside of a few "emmy award winning" ad's before the debut of the second season. They pretty much dug it's grave with the timeslot move and constant pre-emptions this season. I've seen ads for The Office ever since it debuted last spring, even when the first season was struggling to find itself. NBC stuck with the show and now it's a success because of a strong push (although I haven't been too keen on their treatment of Scrubs).[/QUOTE]
They don't market Scrubs well because they don't own Scrubs, they just own the right to show episodes of the show. It is produced by Buena Vista (at least the dvds are, which has ties to ABC). Whereas a dollar of marketing for The Office goes not only toward the show, but also promotes the eventual DVD or iTunes episode release. A dollar of marketing for Scrubs is a dollar toward promoting the TV broadcasts as well as promoting the dvd release by a competitor. From a numbers standpoint, ads are better spent on shows wholy owned by NBC-Universal. This is probably why Scrubs has been jerked around a bit in terms of less-than-stellar timeslot, and the delayed start of this season.

On the subject of AD, I think it is a shame they moved it from Sunday when they did, just as Family Guy and American Dad made it worth it to stick around for more of the Sunday line-up. War at Home only suceeded because of it's timeslot, pure and simple. On the other hand, you cannot completely blame Fox, other shows on the network have been just as good and met MUCH quicker ends. Considering it is Fox, I am amazed it lasted as long as it did given the ratings, 2 and 1/2ish seasons. Be thankful they stuck with it and didn't cancel it after the first run of 13 episodes.

We got some great episodes, especially the last two.
The finale was great, and did a great job of wrapping up the series while creating enough new storylines to do another few seasons. Lets hope we get more of this amazing series.
It's great Fox let them film a real finale after announcing the episode cutback.

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']It was great how they used William Hung.[/QUOTE]
i almost cried laughing when judge reinhold (sp?) said, "Well, no matter what we'll have a Hung jury!" :rofl: That was hilarious.

I loved Ron Howard at the very end. Though quite frankly, Ron had some of the best moments in these four episodes, like "Let's see what everyone else is doing...Nope, nothing interesting here.....Or here.......Oh my!"

The part I laughed the hardest at was when Michael threw the keys to George Michael, and GM just totally flinched out of the way. After Michael said something like, "we don't shy away from our problems" so something.

Edit: It was, "Hey, who's tougher than us?" Then he throws the keys.

The funniest thing to me was the fact when we found out that their mother was the mastermind behind all the Bluth madness in the business world and how she bascially sold the company to her enemy when she stopped having faith in her decision to have Michael as CEO.

Another thing, I find funny is that George Michael and Maria are married and GM never told his father but that he got to second base with her. Did anyone else get a laugh when everytime someone said they got to second base they would flash a pic of Pete Rose sliding into to second base.

Didn't really start watching until they started to show reruns so I joint during the second season but I have to say when I watched this was one of the funniest family comdies I have ever seen.

I forgot. My real favorite part was when Maeby and George Michael were having the fake wedding in the first episode and Maeby ran out. And then George Michael looked at the "priest" and said something about what they should do now and the guy was like "Wait a minute........Now it's a Bar Mitzvah!" And how all the Alzheimer patients were celebrating with GM after it.

my favorite parts were when Gob could have gotten out of prison, but kept keeping himself there and saying c'mon. I loved when he did that with the suit so I loved to see it again here.

I also started rolling during the bush burning scene and the interaction between Jason and Justine about sex and marriage were akward and hilarious

Perhaps when they are talking about the garbage that's on TV right now.

Oscar: "But I like skating with celebrities..."

Excellent jab at Fox.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Well I'm downloading the last one now, I'll watch them later.[/QUOTE]

Where/how are you doing that?

I had to pause a few times to pick up on the "George Bush doesn't care about black puppets"
And to see the printout from Michael's old PC that had Nellie listed as a "Conslutant"

Funny stuff.

The bluths will be missed.

bread's done
Back