Photo
- - - - -

Best place to buy engagement ring and any general ring advice?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 rabidmonkeys

rabidmonkeys

Been there. Played that.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:06 PM

Stay away from mall jewelers, as was said before. Generally there will be some sort of a diamond exchange somewhere in the biggest city closest to you. That's where most places in the area get their diamonds and its also where the best deals are found. Here in PGH its the Clark Building. When I bought my wife's, I opted for a 1ct flawless. Also, you can always have the ring reset later if need be, so spend the majority of the money on the color and the clarity. Once you've got everything under control and she has said yes, (hopefully ;)), make sure you add the ring to either your renter's insurance or your homeowners policy immediately. The biggest advice I can give you is that if you keep running the following advice in your mind, the rest will fall into place. Here's some advice, ready?

"This is the last ring she will ever wear on that finger. It is the last ring she will ever need or want and it is the ring she has been dreaming of since the day she was born. It is the ring that signifies the start of her life with you and when her life ends, it is the ring she will be buried with."
Xbox Live GamerTag: HCG Paco

#32 redline

redline

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:11 PM

Wow, nobody uses custom jewelry stores that make their own jewelry any more? When I shopped for my wife's engagement ring I went to a jeweler who laid out a bunch of diamonds in front of me, and I picked a few of them in the general size I was interested in and looked at them under their microscope. It's really cool looking at different diamonds this way, you can see all the flaws and the overall quality of the cut. Then I picked out the setting style I wanted and had them make the ring for me. And when we were ready for a wedding band later on, we were able to take her engagement ring back and find a band with diamonds that the jeweler attached to the solitaire engagement ring. The jeweler made my wedding band too, which is pretty cool if you want something unique that you don't see a lot of. It really wasn't all that expensive either compared to the "here's all we have" jewelry stores.

#33 rabidmonkeys

rabidmonkeys

Been there. Played that.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:18 PM

Also, HOW you ask is as big a part as WHAT you ask with. So make sure that you've got a good plan for it. Don't just go down on one knee, that's a given. Do it in a park, or on a horse ride, or something that will forever be engrained in the start of your life together.
Xbox Live GamerTag: HCG Paco

#34 sblymnlcrymnl

sblymnlcrymnl

married ... with children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:21 PM

Ok here might be a lame idea but how about buy her a Heart of the Ocean Necklace from Titanic and ask her to marry you like this "I'll be your jack and you'll be my rose,lets go down with this Titantic ship called life togather" Huh? huh ? If that don't work you'll at least get laid. Good luck BTW.

http://www.geocities...kulich/titanic/

That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my entire life.

I agree. :bouncy:

Female opinions should count 10x, so listen to these two. :lol:

#35 Michaellvortega

Michaellvortega

Halo 3 is coming........

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:54 PM

I thought it was cool even if it was a joke :(
DISCLAIMER:These postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Posted Image

#36 munch

munch

la tĂȘte de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:22 PM

Wow, nobody uses custom jewelry stores that make their own jewelry any more? When I shopped for my wife's engagement ring I went to a jeweler who laid out a bunch of diamonds in front of me, and I picked a few of them in the general size I was interested in and looked at them under their microscope. It's really cool looking at different diamonds this way, you can see all the flaws and the overall quality of the cut. Then I picked out the setting style I wanted and had them make the ring for me. And when we were ready for a wedding band later on, we were able to take her engagement ring back and find a band with diamonds that the jeweler attached to the solitaire engagement ring. The jeweler made my wedding band too, which is pretty cool if you want something unique that you don't see a lot of. It really wasn't all that expensive either compared to the "here's all we have" jewelry stores.

That's exactly what I did. Went to a place called Jewelry by Design in Auburn. Picked out the diamonds then the setting. I reccommend doing this. Stay from the mall. AND DON'T BUY BLOOD DIAMONDS FROM SIERRA LEONE!

#37 SpeedyG

SpeedyG

Fastest Mouse In Cag!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:32 PM

You could do it like an old buddy of mine did. Pull into your local Wal mart parking lot as you go shopping, Throw the ring at her and say " Bitch I ain't gotta ask!".... Yea.. that was classic.

#38 Kayden

Kayden

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:38 PM

Wait... you're supposed to buy her two rings? Fuck that. One or none woman!

Posted Image Posted Image

Kayden you would be awesome in Congress.

#39 SpeedyG

SpeedyG

Fastest Mouse In Cag!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:41 PM

That's exactly what I did. Went to a place called Jewelry by Design in Auburn. Picked out the diamonds then the setting. I reccommend doing this. Stay from the mall. AND DON'T BUY BLOOD DIAMONDS FROM SIERRA LEONE!

Apparently it's getting even harder to verify if you're buying conflict diamonds these days. Amnesty International was big time in promoting the Kimberly Process but from some reports that's far from a perfect system still.

#40 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:49 PM

I have a question, do you have to look under a microscope to see the flaws in the cut and if so, do they matter? Is it going to break or something if it's more flawed?

Posted Image

#41 botticus

botticus

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:53 PM

I have a question, do you have to look under a microscope to see the flaws in the cut and if so, do they matter? Is it going to break or something if it's more flawed?

Its a matter of quality. If you have to look into a microscope to see flaws, then it's not horrible; hell, to an untrained eye (me), I could barely see the flaws that were pointed out to me by the salesman. There's a whole grading system which I'm sure someone can link you to.

#42 battleroyal33

battleroyal33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:01 PM

There are certian flaws that you will be able to see with the naked eye that deal with the cut and depth of the diamond, black spots in the center for example, but you will need a microscope to see any flaws within the actual diamond itself. Unless the flaw is a crack or chip, it wont effect the body of the diamond, alot of flaws are dirty diamond, flaws in the cut or shape of the diamond or the overall color itself. Most diamonds have flaws in them, The engagement ring I got had a few minor flaws, but you have to also have an understanding of the grading scale they use, the ring I got was in the catergory right below the flawless catergoy, so its a damn fine ring but its no were near flawless. the ring I got was marked at $3300 but it was on sale so it came in at a better price, and flawless diamonds for the same ring style start at about double that amount. A flawless diamond is very, very expensive...

#43 daphatty

daphatty

VTEC Bitches!

• Super Moderators

Posted 13 February 2006 - 08:23 PM

My only advice to you is get her what she likes. Don't do what I did and buy her something that you think she will like. My wife took back the ring I proposed to her with because she didn't like it. Play it safe and stick with what SHE TOLD YOU will work. Of course, I'm assuming you have already discussed that. If not, then you should hold off on proposing until you get the 411.

Posted Image

#44 sblymnlcrymnl

sblymnlcrymnl

married ... with children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2006 - 08:28 PM

Yeah, you should definately make sure you know what she likes ... some might go so far as to refuse your proposal just because you didn't know her well enough to pick out the right one. :roll:

(No, I don't speak from experience.)

#45 munch

munch

la tĂȘte de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:23 PM

I'm surprised that no one has come into this thread saying, "Don't do it man, don't do it!"

#46 Cornfedwb

Cornfedwb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:36 PM

For my two cents, I think the "past, present and future" ring is a poor idea. First off, its more of an anniversary ring then an engagement ring, secondly its a rather trendy style right now.. which means it may be quite tacky in 5-10 years (think of most rings from the late 80s), third I don't believe many women would choose it for their engagement ring.

I'd recommend with the classic single solitaire (never will go out of style) or possibly the enhanced solitaires with smaller diamonds on the band in addition to the solitaire. You may want to look into the solitaires that have the wedding bands that fit around them (cant remember the name for them).. alot of women seem to really love them.

#47 Kayden

Kayden

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:40 PM

:lol: That was my first thought when I read "general advice".

I figured someone would get it first, but the thread was too far to make the timing good.

I'm surprised that no one has come into this thread saying, "Don't do it man, don't do it!"

Posted Image Posted Image

Kayden you would be awesome in Congress.