CAG blocked at work? Links not working or appearing?

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
CAG blocked at work?
try www.cheapyd.com

Links not working or appearing?

NORTON FIREWALL USERS - turn off ad blocking

and/or

Kazaa Lite (along with other software) makes changes to your HOSTS file, which is affecting which links your browser can follow.
You may have noticed that some other websites are acting funky too.
I stopped getting graphics at Gamespot.com after I installed Kazaa Lie.

THE FIX
1) Do a search on your computer for a file called "HOSTS"
(i'm running XP home and its located: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC)

2) Open it in Notepad and search for any lines that contain the following domains:

linksynergy.com
bfast.com
qksrv.net
tkqlhce.com
kqzyfj.com
jdoqocy.com
emjcd.com
dpbolvw.net
anrdoezrs.net
apmebf.com
cc-dt.com
cj.com
commission-junction.com

Enter # at the beginning of the line. There may be several instances of the same domains.

3) Save and exit the file.

Close and reopen your browser and you should be good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dynamite99']i did this but some links still doesnt work :? like the kb sales link :( and never got the ads graphics at some site anymore :x[/quote]

I take it you already searched for qksrv.
Try looking through the list for similar things...I agree its a pain in the ass, but it will be worth it in the long run.

All I have is a sample host file, no REAL host file. Any ideas?

I do have Kazaa Lite K++, and I'd like to keep it. However, some links don't work for me, and Gamespot pictures don't work, either.

I don't know if you're having a different problem, or the same problem. When I'm browsing the CAG forums, I just hover over a link and it brings me to the target. I don't even have to click.

This is annoying because if I move my mouse I get sent somewhere I don't want to go. I'm trying your fix right now.

[quote name='Gamma_Metroid']I don't know if you're having a different problem, or the same problem. When I'm browsing the CAG forums, I just hover over a link and it brings me to the target. I don't even have to click.

This is annoying because if I move my mouse I get sent somewhere I don't want to go. I'm trying your fix right now.[/quote]

That is crazy...
Totally unrelated to the links not working.
No idea what the answer is though.

For all those with link/hosts file problems:

Try downloading the ad-blocking hosts file found here:http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

It already has # symbols in front of some of the sites Cheapy mentioned, and it apparently blocks ad servers. I've downloaded it, and I'm going to see how it works.

EDIT: Gamespot pictures still don't work for me. Even so, I'd recommend downloading it just for blocking ad servers.

The links for KB Toys and qksrv links just don't work for me. I don't know why. Nothing in my HOSTS file except for local. No qksrv stuff either. What's the deal?

Good to know.. really good to know. I wondered wtf was wrong with gamespot!

EDIT - okay... the cheapass links work fine now, but gamespot is still f'd :(

AdsGone has populated my HOSTS file with the known banner ad sites, which is probably what is blocking CAG's links. I like you guys and would like to support you, but not enough to even consider turning off my ad blocker. Sorry. :?

I use mozilla firebird, since it has pop up blocker, that's all I worry about. Anyone with trouble can do what I did:
1) Clear your browser's cache
2) edit the host file or just delete (close your browser first)
3) reboot

I'm gonna have to try this when I get home. I've had this problem for a while now but I think it was cause by an old Pop-Up blocking software I used to use. I have Kazaa Lite on my work PC and don't have any issues with CAG at all.

People are sending me PM's and I'm not receiving them, also, If I do receive one I don't get that little popup notifying me anymore

Hi I have aproblem and that is that I can`t find any websites to download kazzalite k++. :( So I was woundering if someone coulld tell me a website.[/code]

Alright, this page worked great at work for me, but at home, I can't see the links. I've tried all the suggestions, but nothing.

I am running XP, my modem has a firewall and I'm running Norton Firewall. All IE programs have no restrictions. What can I do?

I am worrying about this now, b/c they just started blocking your site from my office. I guess it's the URL, or maybe the msg board content.

Please help!

Some Norton stuff blocks the links.
Try playing with the privacy settings.
Try it without the firewall on for a test.

Well, I looked more into the Norton Firewall, and it has an ad-blocker, of which I was unaware. Now it's off and everything works great.

Thanks for helping a dumbass, Cheapy!

Norton has been blocking access to links with its 'Norton Internet Security'. Why it thinks this makes you more secure, I don't know. Its shipping on a lot of new computers with the default setting to 'on'. I think what it is doing is making it so you can only visit companies they approve of.

I don't know if companies pay money to get their links unblocked or to stay off the blocked list.

If editing your .hosts file didn't work you might want to try deleting Norton and using something else.

Sorry, I didn't see this last page of messages till after I posted!

~ Monkey

[quote name='Anonymous']Norton has been blocking access to links with its 'Norton Internet Security'. Why it thinks this makes you more secure, I don't know. Its shipping on a lot of new computers with the default setting to 'on'. I think what it is doing is making it so you can only visit companies they approve of.

I don't know if companies pay money to get their links unblocked or to stay off the blocked list.

If editing your .hosts file didn't work you might want to try deleting Norton and using something else.

Sorry, I didn't see this last page of messages till after I posted!

~ Monkey[/quote]

how did you get a Guest account?

Don't know if it has anything to do with the recent MBboard switch, but all the photo gallery links do not work for me anymore--- they just take me back to the main page. A few others up top also just take me back to the main page.

[quote name='KwanzaaTimmy']Don't know if it has anything to do with the recent MBboard switch, but all the photo gallery links do not work for me anymore--- they just take me back to the main page. A few others up top also just take me back to the main page.[/QUOTE]Yes, anything with a path of /forum will take you to the front page, due to the msg board software switch...new gallery incoming (at some point)

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, but every time i click on the home button in the top left corner of the forum section it takes me back to the forums rather than the homepage. Maybe it's just me, but i thought you'd like to know CheapyD.

that rhymed.

[quote name='munch']I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, but every time i click on the home button in the top left corner of the forum section it takes me back to the forums rather than the homepage. Maybe it's just me, but i thought you'd like to know CheapyD.

that rhymed.[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't really belong here, but i hear ya...Fixed.
I fixed it in the footer too.

[quote name='CheapyD']No, it doesn't really belong here, but i hear ya...Fixed.
I fixed it in the footer too.[/QUOTE]

You have the banner right above it that goes to the front page, I would change the Home button back to the forum-home.

Lol also, you might want to sync up the banner background color with the forum background color.

I had this problem until just this morning. Fixed, CAG links work and give credit to CAG, yay!

I followed the guide on Fatwallet (as their cashback also wasn't working). This is the list of sites they have listed to remove from the HOSTS file...
linksynergy.com
bfast.com
qksrv.net

Hmmm....well, I've had this problem for a while, and I knew the thread was here. (I was just being lazy) But, after adding the #'s, the site works fine....for a day. Then, when I come back the next day, the damn thing is back the way it was! Any way to fix this? I believe it could be Spy Sweeper, as every entry in the HOSTS ends with Spy Sweeper...

(Also, I remember seeing it before, but besides changing your screen to 1024X768, is there a way I can bring the Gaming, Trading & Cheap Ass Lifestyle back up to the top of the page? I'm running on 800X600 becuase I am legally blind, and need it the stuff big. Running with 800X600 resolution makes the Gaming, Trading & Cheap Ass Lifestyle fall to the bottom of the frontpage; very annoying. When I switch to 1024X768, it moves to its correct spot at the top...)

Also, the banner (when clicked) takes me back to the frontpage, which is what it is supposed to do. However, the Home button also takes me to the frontpage...isn't it supposed to take me to the forum index?

[quote name='Rig']Hmmm....well, I've had this problem for a while, and I knew the thread was here. (I was just being lazy) But, after adding the #'s, the site works fine....for a day. Then, when I come back the next day, the damn thing is back the way it was! Any way to fix this? I believe it could be Spy Sweeper, as every entry in the HOSTS ends with Spy Sweeper...[/QUOTE]Yeah, its probably Spy Sweeper. See if there is a way to configure it so it doesn't alter your HOSTS file. Maybe consider switching to AdAware, which I believe does not make those changes.

[quote name='Rig']
(Also, I remember seeing it before, but besides changing your screen to 1024X768, is there a way I can bring the Gaming, Trading & Cheap Ass Lifestyle back up to the top of the page? I'm running on 800X600 becuase I am legally blind, and need it the stuff big. Running with 800X600 resolution makes the Gaming, Trading & Cheap Ass Lifestyle fall to the bottom of the frontpage; very annoying. When I switch to 1024X768, it moves to its correct spot at the top...)[/QUOTE]
Give it a try now. I removed the eBay box from the first page. I think that was causing the page to display awkwardly in 800x600.

[quote name='Rig']Also, the banner (when clicked) takes me back to the frontpage, which is what it is supposed to do. However, the Home button also takes me to the frontpage...isn't it supposed to take me to the forum index?[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure there is no "supposed to". Home to me, means the front page of CAG. There is always a link to the forum index visable in the navigation bar (except when you are already viewing the index).

The 800X600 works great now...thanks! As for the home thing, I could've sworn it went to the forum index previously...oh well, it didn't really matter that much. I'm looking through Spy Sweeper to figure out how to change it...and I also have AdAware, just so you know...

[quote name='Rig']The 800X600 works great now...thanks! As for the home thing, I could've sworn it went to the forum index previously...oh well, it didn't really matter that much. I'm looking through Spy Sweeper to figure out how to change it...and I also have AdAware, just so you know...[/QUOTE]You are correct, the HOME button did previously go to the forum index. I changed it a few months ago.

[quote name='CheapyD']You are correct, the HOME button did previously go to the forum index. I changed it a few months ago.[/QUOTE]

That would be why I had some confusion... :lol: Oh, and Spy Sweeper was easy to change...the links work great now...thanks again Cheapy!

bread's done
Back