CheapyD gets his hands on a DS Lite

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
dslite.jpg

I only got to try out the English Training game, but that was good enough to sample the new super bright screen. The difference between the screens on the standard DS and the Lite is readily apparent. The new svelt design is quite teh sexy as well. I'll definitely be picking up one next month and "donating" my current Graphite DS (along with a gift of English Training software) to CheapyMom-In-Law.

[quote name='AshesofWake']how the hell did you take that picture? with your mouth? :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Ask Mrs. Cheapy about that one.

how do you like the feel compared to the old one. thats my biggest concern. i figure you have bigger hands than me, so does it feel nice, fit well? hows the new stylus?

[quote name='AshesofWake']how the hell did you take that picture? with your mouth? [/QUOTE]I made a friend! I recuited her from my Japanese Language class. She is Canadian and likes video games. I gave her a little tour (which I inhereited from CAG thakingrocka) of Akihabara today.

[quote name='iheartmetal']how do you like the feel compared to the old one. thats my biggest concern. i figure you have bigger hands than me, so does it feel nice, fit well? hows the new stylus?[/QUOTE]Ya know, I didn't really get such a great playtest, but since the size change is not nearly as dramatic as the change from the GBA to SP, I think it will be just fine. The biggest change seems to be the thickness which shouldn't affect your hand position at all. Stylus seemed good!

Looks great! I'm mainly getting the Lite for the screen improvement, but I'm also really happy that it's so much thinner. I don't think they could get it much smaller now and still have it be playable unless they shrunk the screen down like the Micro.

[quote name='Ebraum']Did you see the other 2 colors? If so, how did they look in person?[/QUOTE]Negative, only white was "in the house", so to speak.

so does nintendo purposely make screens less bright originally on their first system releases just so they can make profit off of making it brighter in the future? i haven't bought a ds yet, but i plan to buy a lite (i guess) depending on the prices (have they been announced yet?)

How did the ABXY buttons feel compared to the original DS. What about the Dpad?

Did you notice if there would be any concern of your hand accidentally sliding the power-switch while playing?

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']so does nintendo purposely make screens less bright originally on their first system releases just so they can make profit off of making it brighter in the future? i haven't bought a ds yet, but i plan to buy a lite (i guess) depending on the prices (have they been announced yet?)[/QUOTE]

Not true... the SP came out way after the GBA.

The Micro came out after the DS and way after the SP. And the DS Lite capitalizes on the Micro's screen tech. Same way with the brighter SP. It's in Nintendo's favor to phase out the old versions and update everything else to streamline manufacturing I guess.

Oh so schmexxxxy.

I will seriously have to consider supporting the DS now -- I'm curious as to how noticeable the stickout of a gba cart is on the new model, but I'm sure there's no way cheapyd got a chance to scope that out based on his previous comments...

Thanks for the pics. I had no idea you had a DS Cheapy.. I remember you vowing ot not get one.

I am sure the Lite will be a hit. Did you preorder?

[quote name='evilmax17']How did the ABXY buttons feel compared to the original DS. What about the Dpad?

Did you notice if there would be any concern of your hand accidentally sliding the power-switch while playing?[/QUOTE]Unfortuantely, I didn't really get to give the d-pad or buttons a proper workout (as the game in the system was English Training), but it seems they are softer to the touch.

I don't think turning off the system accidently will be a problem. You will have to hold the sliding power switch for a few seconds (like the PSP) to turn it off.

[quote name='Snake2715']Thanks for the pics. I had no idea you had a DS Cheapy.. I remember you vowing ot not get one.

I am sure the Lite will be a hit. Did you preorder?[/QUOTE]Yeah, I gave in when I got to Japan.
As far as I can tell, the Japanese market does not do the pre-order thing.

[quote name='trunks982']how much is it in american dollars?[/QUOTE]
$142

It looks like with the smaller size of the unit itself and the screen being closer to the edges that it will be easier to use the stylus and still support the unit with your pinky finger on your right hand. That was my biggest complaint with the old model is that it felt too awkward to put your pinky underneath the unit while using the stylus.

How are the top edges edges on bottom half? From the pics I've seen, they look like 90-degree angles (to form a sheer surface on the sides when closed) instead of a gentle curve, and I fear that it may "cut" into your hand as you hold it for long periods.

[quote name='CheapyD']
Yeah, I gave in when I got to Japan.
As far as I can tell, the Japanese market does not do the pre-order thing.
[/QUOTE]

They do pre-orders. I'm always reading about pre-order goodies you get in Tips & Tricks' "Japan Report." Maybe it depends on what it is. Also could you elaborate on Cheapy Mom-in-law wanting a DS? Is she a gamer or one of the new gamers the DS has been snagging. Also did you tell her you played it while in the can.:D

Oh and here is a link to more Lite pics addressing some of your questions like how the GBA cart looks inserted.
http://www.vgpub.com/nintendo-sheds-lite/news

[quote name='thorbahn3']Also could you elaborate on Cheapy Mom-in-law wanting a DS? Is she a gamer or one of the new gamers the DS has been snagging. [/QUOTE]

I just think cheapy doesn't want to learn Japanese.

The lite looks good. I have my red ds I think I will pass.

[quote name='daphatty']Cool pics but meh... I still prefer my PSP. (Currently developing caluses from playing SFA3 Max) :D[/QUOTE]

Is there anyway to set up a PSP to play GB/GBC (RIN), NES (NESter J), SNES (SNEStyl)and SFA3 Max? I have a 1.5 PSP that I used the WAB Changer on a while ago to trick it into a 2.0. The last game I bought was Burnout and it runs great with all of the emulators installed...

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']so does nintendo purposely make screens less bright originally on their first system releases just so they can make profit off of making it brighter in the future? i haven't bought a ds yet, but i plan to buy a lite (i guess) depending on the prices (have they been announced yet?)[/QUOTE]

Well, why not just make computer 9.6 GHZ with 8 Gigs of ram? The cost/technology is not there. IF they had the screens a year and a half ago, and they would be cost effective (since the DS sold for $150), we would have gotten it. Why did it take so long for the Xbox 360 to come out? Why not skip it and do the Xbox 720?

[quote name='gizmogc']Well, why not just make computer 9.6 GHZ with 8 Gigs of ram? The cost/technology is not there. IF they had the screens a year and a half ago, and they would be cost effective (since the DS sold for $150), we would have gotten it. Why did it take so long for the Xbox 360 to come out? Why not skip it and do the Xbox 720?[/QUOTE]
Thank you. Just because Nintendo improves things doesn't mean they do it on purpose. Why did Sony release the Slimline PS2 right away? It's not like changing system design is unprecedented, the Lite is just a smidge faster than Sony, Nintendo, or Sega released their revamped systems.

Im still pissed the original Gameboy was black and white. It should have been in 16x9 Widescreen and have the touchscreen ability. So NOT fair Nintendo!

[quote name='daroga']Thank you. Just because Nintendo improves things doesn't mean they do it on purpose. Why did Sony release the Slimline PS2 right away? It's not like changing system design is unprecedented, the Lite is just a smidge faster than Sony, Nintendo, or Sega released their revamped systems.[/QUOTE]
The slim PS2 came out 4 years after the original, the DS redesign will be out no later than 1.5 years after the original. That's not a smidge.

The moment you touch it, you're gonna fingerprint it up like no ones business (or if it was actually someones business, it would be like an iPod, or a PSP).

[quote name='Ugamer_X']The slim PS2 came out 4 years after the original, the DS redesign will be out no later than 1.5 years after the original. That's not a smidge.[/QUOTE]

Sooo.. Is this good or bad? I mean think about it did Sony basically sell you a big cumbersome package for 2.5 years longer than it should of?

Here's another image of the DS lite, albeit with not as good focus as CheapyD's picture. This was taken in Shinjuku, use the gaijin hands to approximate size. :)

ds-lite.jpg

I'm going to wait and see on the DS Lite. I wasn't impressed with the early pictures from awhile ago but these new ones look pretty decent. I would however much rather wait and see what its like in person but even then it will be a LONG time before I ditch my current DS for the Lite as I'm happy enough with it.

Even then this is a good move on Nintendo's part to improve the DS (making it a little smaller with better screens) which will certainly put the product into more people's hands. I'm totally cool with that being the DS fanboy I am. :D

Looks nice, but I'm not sure I would jump on it when it gets released here. Im pretty happy with playing Phoenix Wright on my OLD silver DS.

bread's done
Back