Photo
- - - - -

This is how we retrieve packages in the future (aka Japan)

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 DuckM4n

DuckM4n

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:57 PM

it is pretty primal working at bbv anyways, stand, check out using procedure, stand some more

for example: do you guys know that movie cases no longer have sensor strips in the? only the locks and someone them dont even have that, the discs had them when dvds first came out but no more...

#32 CheapyMom

CheapyMom

Non-Technical Advisor

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:14 AM

Lol.. I actually agree with that.. seems like a waste of time.. why not just assign a standard sized box for packages just like a mail box? Then you can just use your key.

When you leave in a large building or community it's a waste of space to assign each household a decent size locked box. Where we live, there are 1400 families. Mail and packages are delivered to a central mail room, so a decent size package box for each family isn't practical. Instead, the low tech solution is that there are a few dozen package boxes of various sizes. When a package arrives, the letter carrier puts a numberered key in your mailbox and then you find the box that has the same number as the key. It works but the computer system looks like more fun (you can play "Guess which door will open" ) plus you get a nice lady talking to you. ;)

#33 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:14 AM

Good question!
When I use my super scanning key to open the front door of the building, a light goes off letting me know there is a package. If I somehow missed that, there would be a message lit up on our apartment's intercome system.

Damn, that makes the package delivery system here look like shit.

#34 .JPG

.JPG

^ Save them

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:47 AM

That's awesome! Japan amazes me with their new technology. By the way what was in the package?

#35 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:25 AM

Was that the ibutton CheapD? I couldn't see it clearly, but it looked a heck of a lot like it.
Posted Image

#36 Sejad

Sejad

Brotherhood of Steel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:27 AM

Damn. Out here in the middle of nowhere I just have someone punch (literally) my doorbell at like 8:30 PM and scream "YUBINKYOKU DESU!!!!!" ("Its the Post office!" in Japanese...). Then I go to the door in my pajamas, and after they recover from the shock of seeing a 6'5" American in a dark doorway, they confirm that I am indeed "A-RE-KU-SU NE-RU-SO-N" and gimme my shit.

Gotta love the inaka. :D

Awww man great humor, thx for the laugh, but I cant agree cause the stupid Canadian Post Office is like the shitiest service on the planet they like are shity at delivering it, the time it takes, and stupid customs, plus I like miss like evey package I am supposed to get ever.

#37 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:51 AM

When you leave in a large building or community it's a waste of space to assign each household a decent size locked box. Where we live, there are 1400 families. Mail and packages are delivered to a central mail room, so a decent size package box for each family isn't practical. Instead, the low tech solution is that there are a few dozen package boxes of various sizes. When a package arrives, the letter carrier puts a numberered key in your mailbox and then you find the box that has the same number as the key. It works but the computer system looks like more fun (you can play "Guess which door will open" ) plus you get a nice lady talking to you. ;)

What would happen if many people got large packages at the same time? (say Christmas or something)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:16 AM

By the way what was in the package?

Some clothes for Mrs. Cheapy from her mom.

Was that the ibutton CheapD? I couldn't see it clearly, but it looked a heck of a lot like it.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the key uses RF. It looks similar to this as it's made by the same company:
Posted Image
Did I mention that to operate the elevator, you need to pass your key over the sensor?
When you enter the elevator, you will find the button for your floor is already lit up.
Maybe I'll get a video of that next.

#39 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:32 PM

Yeah, it looks like it uses radio. I thought it was the ibutton because it looked like you were pressing the key to the sensor.

And please get the elevator video up for us as well. It sound cool.

Also, thanks for uploading the cold pizza video. I missed it when it aired originally.
Posted Image

#40 HeadRusch

HeadRusch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:16 PM

I'd be pissed if i opened that door up and there wasn't a warm meal waiting for me inside, it looks like those crazy self-serve automatic cafeterias right out of the 50's ;)

"HEY..!??! WHERES MY MEATLOAF PLATE...!?!?!"

#41 wubb

wubb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:38 PM

Oh, so none of those slots are specifically assigned to anyone? It gets shuffled around as needed and people get packages? Pretty neat. You'd have to have a savvy mail man however that can work the system.

#42 CheapyMom

CheapyMom

Non-Technical Advisor

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:15 PM

What would happen if many people got large packages at the same time? (say Christmas or something)

Hmmm. Don't know. Sometimes the mail man has delivered packages to our door, just to be nice when he knew we were waiting for one. Maybe he just brings it to you. If I see him I'll ask!

#43 Graystone

Graystone

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:30 AM

Sweet, whats scary though when I was watching that on the right side in related video section their was a video titled "chyna getin off"

#44 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:22 AM

Forget CheapyD on Cold Pizza and Chyna Gettin Off....

DaVe aNd AnTwOn BeIn StUpId
ThE HoImEs BeIn HeLlA DuMb!!

#45 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:15 PM

Hmmm interesting. When people were talking about shuffling do PO Box's in Japan work the same way? I'm just wondering. Also, what's the cost per month? I was planning on getting my own there to ship packages to.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#46 sblymnlcrymnl

sblymnlcrymnl

married ... with children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:27 PM

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to just have someone sitting there to hand them out? Crazy japanese with their damn technology. :roll: :lol:

#47 Gothic Walrus

Gothic Walrus

Goo Goo G'Joob.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:41 AM

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to just have someone sitting there to hand them out? Crazy japanese with their damn technology. :roll: :lol:

But where's the cool factor there?

This is so shiny and pretty. :D

ah, a voice of logic in the form of a walrus

#48 assassinX

assassinX

The ass......assinX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:56 AM

Man Japan has everything.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#49 mikeohara

mikeohara

Metal Is Not Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:36 PM

that's freaking awesome!

#50 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:21 AM

that is enough of a reason for me to move there in the next year.

#51 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:24 AM

This beats my apartment, where no one is in the office all day like they are supposed to, so no one gets packages, and if I get something from USPS, I have to go get it myself from the PO, which is the ONLY ONE servicing 50k+ people, and thus sucks balls. If Fedex or UPS bring me something, they just leave it on my doorstop.

Fuck my apartment's inability to do their job. I would love for Japan to invade and take my complex over.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#52 skarmachild

skarmachild

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

Good question!
When I use my super scanning key to open the front door of the building, a light goes off letting me know there is a package. If I somehow missed that, there would be a message lit up on our apartment's intercome system.

Dis is teh crazy shiz?!

That's immense, must cost em a bit though to run the thing.

Play-Asia better get their sweet asses + deliver me my DS Lite.

------------------------------------------------------
Oh I push my way through the crowd
Now hear the sound of the ground
Oh I push my way through the crowd
Just start at dawn from the clouds
------------------------------------------------------