Going to the video game show, NWCGE? Feb 25/26 Seattle, WA

brianmoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
311 (100%)
I'm guessing probably most people already know about this,

but if you didn't know there's a video game expo coming to Seattle this weekend, with Atari 2600 competition for prizes.

[URL="http://www.nwcge.org/blog/index.html"][/URL]
http://nwcge.org/

Click to see a list of the events, etc.

I mentioned it to a couple people and figured someone must have started a thread for it, but since it looks like no one has, I guess I will. Supposed to have video game shops/collectors and vendors with lots of cool stuff available with rare games/systems/accessories, imports, homebrews, prototypes, etc. for those that care. My friend told me he's getting there early as there's going to be a special show only release of a prototype cart of an Atari game never released for $25, limited edition only 41 #ed copies. The game is ATRIX.

I'm coming up from Portland on Saturday. I'm really into games, so I've even got a motel room, but I'm not sure how many people are doing the same. I look like my pic if by chance I've talked with you and you see me and want to say hi.

Hey Jason. Was going to mention it to you since I knew you're in Bellingham, but I forgot your CAG name. I'll be there about noon, tommorrow on saturday. Let me know if you're going, maybe I'll see you at the show.

[quote name='Technique']Tempting.. I might have to go check it out even though I know nothing about the Atari.[/quote]

I'm not an Atari collector either, really. A friend that's working the door told me they'll have people selling current stuff like Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, etc. all the way down to the more uncommon stuff like 3DO, rare imports, etc. as an example.

[quote name='brianmoy']Hey Jason. Was going to mention it to you since I knew you're in Bellingham, but I forgot your CAG name. I'll be there about noon, tommorrow on saturday. Let me know if you're going, maybe I'll see you at the show.

I'm not an Atari collector either, really. A friend that's working the door told me they'll have people selling current stuff like Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, etc. all the way down to the more uncommon stuff like 3DO, rare imports, etc. as an example.[/QUOTE]

Oh god I just got paid now I have to go just hope the prices are fair I'll keep an eye out for you Brian I'll be wearing jeans and a gray hooded sweatshirt maybe an anime t-shirt. See you their I figure I'll try to get there as early as possible and try to get some good deals.

I'll look out for you. :) I'll be wearing jeans with my belt buckle and a snap shirt. If I feel like doing my hair, I'll be the one with the black pompadour like in my pic there. This will be the first game show I've been to so I can't say for certain how good/bad the deals will be, but guessing it will vary depending on the sellers. I'm bringing $300 with me just in case.

[quote name='jlindsay26']Oh god I just got paid now I have to go just hope the prices are fair I'll keep an eye out for you Brian I'll be wearing jeans and a gray hooded sweatshirt maybe an anime t-shirt. See you their I figure I'll try to get there as early as possible and try to get some good deals.[/quote]

I've actually found that most game collectors tend to be snooty, rude people. That's why I don't go to things like CGE or the local northwest conventions.

What's the point? It's a bunch of people waving their collections around in a big pissing contest while moaning about how gaming today isn't like the 'good ole days.'

Hey, I'm proud of my game collection. It's pretty big, and it cost me a lot of money. But I don't really care if anyone has a bigger collection then me, and I don't throw it in someone's face when I have a bigger one then them. I try to give helpful advice on how to build one, even on a small budget. After over a decade of collecting, I've come to understand that the majority of collectors and 'Classic Gaming Enthusists' are greedy to the point that they will intentionally torpedo people's collections and undervalue them so they can buy them for a song. It happens often. They also do things like artificially create demand for a 'rare' game that isn't rare. I found out so much about 'major' game collectors and their pracitices that I questioned what the point of myself owning one was. I'm not trying to sound high and mighty, but I don't care to associate myself with elitests who will bulk up their collection by anymeans neccesary.

And classic gamers are by and large snotty, arrogant a-holes. I find that it's often impossible to get into a rational discussion about the industry without the conversation turning into a shouting match about which company is better. Hey, I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but I don't consider myself a fanboy. I take the good with the bad, an I have no problem talking about the bad. These conventions turn into big farce about how Sony is ruining the industry and on and on. It makes me sick. I don't necessarly care for Sony or the Playstation platform, but I think it's an insult to say that it's hurt the industry. These people need to step back and say "Sony has redefined the game industry, and has increased awareness about the game industry, and has created huge innovation in the game industry. And I like video games. I don't care for Sony video games, but more video games are now made because of the sucsess of Sony." Some people can't even stand to mention them.

People talk about the NES and Genesis and the Atari 2600 and the Colecovision and they say it was the golden age of video games. No, that was the stone age. Right now, at this very moment, we are in the golden age of video games. That's not to say there is no fun left to be had from 'stone age' consoles like the NES. I love my NES. I love my Atari 2600. But as big as video games were then, they're bigger now. They are accepted. They aren't children's toys. They're accepted entertainment. The stigma that video games are for children has all but vanished in the general populace, relegated to some senior citizens who never 'got it' in the first place.

This is the Golden Age of video games. I don't need to go to a convention to buy overpriced Atari games and hear whining about how bad the industry is right now. I'm more enlightened then that.

Thanks for posting this I went this morning must have missed you. Overall the show was ok I was expecting more vendors. Wish I would have gotten there earlier one dealer was selling a bunch of Turbo Grafx 16 stuff along with other stuff really cheap. I picked up Harvest Moon 2 and Dragon Warrior 1+2 for the gameboy color both factory sealed for $20. Also bought his Turbo Grafx 16+CD complete with games and a system 2.0 & 3.0 card for $150. only bad thing when I got home the system 3.0 card didn't work I figure I'll try cleaning the contacts see if I can get it to work. Thank again Brian hope you found some good stuff at the show.

Jason. Sorry I missed you. Cool that you got the PC Engine. Wish I would have found a DW1+2. I picked up the strategy guide for that for $5. Now I guess I'll wait for the game (or let me know if you'd like to do a trade maybe).

I didn't end up getting into Seattle until 1:30, checked in, so there about 2. Hopefully you picked up the 6 free XBOX demo discs at the door, including the beta test of Final Fantasy XI online with both expansion packs for the XBOX. I picked up a some extras to give to a couple CAG's that have been really cool to me.

I found much better deals when I took a closer look on sunday. I spent $263 (+ a few trades) for about 100 items (it filled a huge heavy box) including games for PS2, PS1, SEGA CD, MEGA CD, SEGA Saturn, SNES, NES, Mega Drive, GBA, GBC, etc... (well you get the idea), accessories and promo items. My big score was a new/sealed Shining Force CD for $25 (worth $150 to $200 by itself). Also got Dragon Warrior Monsters new/sealed for GBC for $10, Shadow Hearts new/sealed for PS2 for $10, Phantom Brave Limited Edition for PS2 new/sealed w/strategy guide (NIS) for $15, Star Ocean for PS2 (non-GH in the box) new/sealed w/strategy guide for $15, Ultima for NES boxed (not all smashed)/complete for $5, other stuff. I heard someone picked up a Turbo Express and a new SEGA Nomad for $30 each. Really just about anything you were looking for pre-Playstation was probably there. Post Playstation there was not as many, but still some good titles. And for the most part, the prices were cheap or at least reasonable (for the most part), and much of it was complete and in super great condition.

Too bad you didn't stay for the speakers/presentations and contests/prize giveaways. They gave away new XBOX games, XBOX 360 faceplate, gamer DVD's, boxed game systems, plug and play systems, promo items. Was really cool.

2 of the big speakers were on saturday, one of the founders of Electronic Arts Canada and the guy who was a founding developer of Madden and FIFA. And on Sunday, one of the founders of Atari.

bread's done
Back