San Antonio CAG topic

[quote name='y2jrevolution']Relocating to Lackland I presume?[/QUOTE]
Lackland would be my home base but I will be working out of the AF News building actually

It's not that bad here. Just like all other cities, there's the good areas and the bad areas. If there is anything specific you want to know just send me a pm. Good luck to you.

Its not so bad, damn hot in the summer, though. If you're near Lackland, there's the Alamo Drafthouse for movies.

[quote name='PanzerNinja']Its not so bad, damn hot in the summer, though. If you're near Lackland, there's the Alamo Drafthouse for movies.[/QUOTE]

Damn hot year round is more like it.

I dunno, I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. The music scene is pretty dismal, but Austin is only an hour and a half away so it's not that big of a deal. If you're into movies there's decent number of theatres, plus we finally have outlets for those of us who are into the niche arthouse junk. The heat can be a bitch(where the hell did winter go this year?) but we don't have to deal with bullshit like shoveling our driveways and driving in the snow. My biggest gripe I guess is that there's seemingly always some inconvenient road construction going on but aside from that traffic isn't too bad compared to other big cities.

As far as shopping goes, it's OK. We're missing a lot of stuff(Fry's?) but it's getting better and I get into a lot of CAG deals without issue(I guess there's not too many active CAGs around here yet?). The only problem is occasionally asshole FatWallet/SD'ers will catch wind of something and take advantage of it but that's pretty seldom(In fact, the only issues I've had are with the Circuit City Summer '04 sale and with tracking down a 360 for the holidays).

Kinda OT, anyone check out the new Best Buy locations that opened over the weekend? I checked out the City Base store on Friday and I have to say I'm pretty dissapointed. At first I was pretty thrilled considering that I've been wanting a BBY on this side of town for a while but it's way too small IMO. Maybe it's becaue there were a ton of people, but I figured the store is at least half as small as the Ingram/San Pedro locations, if not more. Not sure if it's because of space issues or if BBY is trying something new, but the DVD/Game aisles(I assume it applies for CDs too) are really cramped and setup diagonally so it's kinda weird. It's still good for me though since I don't have to drive all the way to Ingram anymore so it's not too bad. Anyone check out the La Cantera location?

The heat shouldn't bug me since I have been in Louisiana and baghdad in the summer. How is the housing apartment market?

Apartments are pretty cheap (some starting in about $600 a month).

La Cantera is for rich people, so I wouldn't even bother looking for a deal there. Dont expect to find any "hidden gems" when the deals start, because all the good games are usually long gone before they go on clearance. The only good thing is that there are a lot of stupid people here, which works to your advantage when there's deals like the last CC sale.

san antonio is awesome. i'm from there but i'm at college right now. the secret to san antonio is thrift stores and pawn shops. I find some awesome deals there. also gamecrazies are awesme there too. great place, i get most of my awesome finds there. including lunar 1 +2 complete and i get most of my nes collection from there.

[quote name='6669']Apartments are pretty cheap (some starting in about $600 a month).

La Cantera is for rich people, so I wouldn't even bother looking for a deal there. Dont expect to find any "hidden gems" when the deals start, because all the good games are usually long gone before they go on clearance. The only good thing is that there are a lot of stupid people here, which works to your advantage when there's deals like the last CC sale.[/QUOTE]

You can get some pretty good deals in the medical center area, which is a great area. You could get something there easily for less than 600 with your military discount.

[quote name='doodle777_98']san antonio is awesome. i'm from there but i'm at college right now. the secret to san antonio is thrift stores and pawn shops. I find some awesome deals there. also gamecrazies are awesme there too. great place, i get most of my awesome finds there. including lunar 1 +2 complete and i get most of my nes collection from there.[/QUOTE]
Man I will be near my fiorst game crazy is there a Hastings in the area too?

Don't forget the low cost of living here as compared to other large cities. Apartments aren't too bad but housing prices have been climbing in the past 5 years.

)-(

Another thing you'll have to get used to is the humidity, every time I visit SA it takes me about an hour to get used to it.

When did the Alamo Drafthouse come to town?

San Antonio is a great place to visit, but I'm not sure if I'd live there again. The housing is dirt cheap, especially compared to San Diego. There are quite a few things to do in SA to keep you busy; you can visit tourist traps like the Riverwalk, Rivercenter Mall and of course the Alamo. There’s also Fiesta Texas, Seaworld, Tower of the Americas, many museums, the symphony, the zoo, botanical gardens, any many other interesting places. Of course SA has quite a few clubs if you’re into that scene and there’s also 6th street up in Austin which is a short hop away.

The food there is great, at least IMHO. Texmex is the local flavor and the BBQ there is awesome, lots of great places to eat cheaply. Also SA doesn’t shut down at 10pm like a lot of places I’ve been. You shouldn’t have any trouble finding a bite to eat or do some shopping in the middle of the night which is nice.

If you have any specific questions feel free to shoot ‘em my way.

[quote name='jlarlee']Man I will be near my fiorst game crazy is there a Hastings in the area too?[/QUOTE]
There's a Hastings like a half hour NE (towards San Marcos and New Braunfels, depending on how deep in the city you live.

IIRC the Drafthouse opened up circa summer '04 so it's been a year and a half, I think. Anyone have any opinions on it? I know that Austin locations are great but the local one seems a lot more restrained. I assume(because of the location) it took over the Westlake theatres by the mall? I never checked them out so I'm interested in hearing about how good it's set-up. I was actually going to go this weekend since it's the closest place that's playing Tommy Lee Jones' new indie/western movie but I ran out of time.

Oh yeah, are there any other GameCrazy's around aside from the one on SW Military and the other on Castroville Road, I think(across the street from the cemetary). I tried looking it up on their site but it doesn't let you select the range.

[quote name='sanjuro']

Oh yeah, are there any other GameCrazy's around aside from the one on SW Military and the other on Castroville Road, I think(across the street from the cemetary). I tried looking it up on their site but it doesn't let you select the range.[/quote]

Not really. There's maybe 2 more, but one of the ones that supposedly has one doesn't even have the GameCrazy sign in there. Its just Hollywood Video.

there are 4 gamecrazies in san antonio and 2 around it. I have visited most of those. The draft house have the best wings i ever tasted. The prices are reasonable too. It's like 5 bucks each for the movie and like 6-8 for a decent meal. I go there all the time with my girlfriend.

[quote name='jlarlee']Heya this place is fricking huge. It seems Time Warner gouges people here anyone know the best deal on cable with hbo a dvr and high speed internet that won't cost me $150 bones? Is Directv dependable here.
[/QUOTE]
I've been looking very closely at Grande Communications. (http://www.grandecom.com) I've heard good things about them and it looks like I can save about $75 a month by dumping Time Warner & AT&T and going with these guys. I'm probably going to sign up with them when I move later this summer. The only drawback I see is they don't offer on-demand channels, but I hardly ever watch those anyway.

[quote name='jlarlee']Oh and here is the house I am trying to rent. Is there anything kooky about that neighborhood I need to know about?[/QUOTE]
It's a fairly new neighborhood where the houses are crammed in tight. Average lot size in S.A. is 60x120, in that subdivision it's 45x120. I'm trying to buy a house just a few streets over to the west. (http://www.bradfieldproperties.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MLSNumber=579092&PRM_MlsName=SanAntonio) Overall it's a pretty nice area, but like everywhere else, it's getting crowded very quickly.

)-(

great info havoc! I think I may go with that company. My house is kind of tight with other houses on the side but there is a ditch in the back which gives me space on the back. Oh that is a sharp looking house too

Ingram is pretty close to the house you listed. CAG-wise, it has a Sears, EB Games, FYE and KB Toys. There's a shopping center right next to it with a Gamestop, Best Buy and Circuit City among other stores.

[quote name='sanjuro']Ingram is pretty close to the house you listed. CAG-wise, it has a Sears, EB Games, FYE and KB Toys. There's a shopping center right next to it with a Gamestop, Best Buy and Circuit City among other stores.[/quote] I don't like the EB Games at Ingram. Every time I walk in there, it looks like it has been bombed out. I understand it's a mall store, but the Gamestop at North Star doesn't look that bad.

Oh yeah, I don't really look forward to going to EB/Gamestops in general because they're so cramped. It's akward taking your time to look for something when you feel like you're always back to back with an employee.

FYI: The Best Buy @ San Pedro still had every guide from Monday's penny drop as of this morning. I only picked up 3(DQ8, MGA2, FFIV) because I didn't want to look like a jackass but I'll probably go back and see if I can snag some more(GTA:LCS, PD0, M&L2) that I was interested in. The one at Ingram already pulled theirs unfortunately.

[quote name='jlarlee']I got approved for the house and should be able to move in over the weekend[/QUOTE]
Great. Its supposed to reach highs of ~100 degrees today.
Welcome to Hell! :evil:

[quote name='6669']Great. Its supposed to reach highs of ~100 degrees today.
Welcome to Hell! :evil:[/QUOTE]
this aint shit the humidity in louisiana was far worse

anybody use XM radio here. I am having a hard time finding a station frequency that doesn't get interupted by the local stations on the fm modulator

Just started doing blockbuster online and it turns out one of their shipping centers is located in town. I have been getting movies a day after they ship and they are returning after being mailed back in a day. Food for thougt if anyone wants to try out their service.

[quote name='jlarlee']Just started doing blockbuster online and it turns out one of their shipping centers is located in town. I have been getting movies a day after they ship and they are returning after being mailed back in a day. Food for thougt if anyone wants to try out their service.[/quote]

my dad used to use bb online before they had that center here in town. we thought it was horrible. we had a bunch of movies on que that were avaliable and they never shipped them. there was even a whole month where they didn't send jack, and my dad was paying for it. idk, maybe it was just us. too bad they didn't have that center here earlier.

Wow, I used the service last summer for three months and the closest centers back then were Houston or Dallas ( and maybe Austin) I think.

bread's done
Back