The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gen. Discussion & Info

• Please log in to reply
1833 replies to this topic

#1591 necrojustice

necrojustice

is fighting Tyson

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:21 PM

That'll probably be one of the "retractments" that they make from the ad this week. :roll:

#1592 io

io

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:57 AM

I just picked up a used regular Oblivion since GC had the B1G1 deal (with system purchase - got the Zelda DS bundle). I was going to do the rental thing with the GotY but the big problem is that it is not available for rent at any place I've seen (several Blockbuster and Hollywood Video stores). I'll keep looking when I'm out and about but I'm not optimistic. Short of Gamefly, where can you even rent it?

But I figured I could start the regular game and wouldn't even need to get into Shivering Isles right away anyway. What other DLC do people recommend getting? I got the free one a few weeks back. So to take advantage of that do I need to be a fighter? Or is it a guild thing? Anything else you guys could recommend downloading for the start of the game?

#1593 Mechafenris

Mechafenris

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:26 AM

Most of the DLC is generally geared towards various classes... the Fighter's stronghold, Frostcrag Spire (which is nice if you're a magic user) and the thieves den (IIRC)

Shivering Isles is wholly contained and doesn't influence the main quest that I can remember, so getting it later in your travels (when it's available to rent) will be fine. Horse Armor is useless.... particularly after a certain point and a horse you receive becomes your main mount...

For each of the "class specific" (for lack of a better term) areas like Frostcrag and the fighter one (name escapes me)... main advantages are geared towards the particular discipline, but there's no need to specialize... My character was a magic heavy melee fighter with good heavy armor skill (some of the heavy armor's great to use...) Frostcrag has unique features for the mages guild fellow too... like spellcrafting and enchanting of items... that assumes of course you want to go that route...

I also liked Mehrunes Razor... it's a nice quest with a good reward... Spell Tomes are good, but Frostcrag gives you more features making spell tomes obsolete.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head... I finished the main quest of Shivering Isles just last week, and that makes (off and on) Oblivion the longest I've ever played an RPG game (May until November.... heh.)

"Don't make me use my stuff on ya, baby."

#1594 blue_volvo

blue_volvo

CAGalanche!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

Another way to do the "rental thing" would be to pick up a used copy of the GOTY ed. from EB/Gamestop. Just be sure to return it within 7 days and you get a full refund.

#1595 Rouzhokuu

Rouzhokuu

Bio-Shocked!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:19 PM

Greetings, all.

I'm going to pick up Oblivion for 360.. sometime soon. My question to those of you who have either copy, is it worth the extra $40 you spend for the two extra expansion packs in the GOTY edition, or, should a person go for the Vanilla edition of Oblivion for $20 and maybe download the extra expansion areas later on?

Many thanks.

#1596 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:22 PM

Considering how long it'll take to get through the main campaign, I'd save yourself some money and just get the base game. The expansions are already on another disc, so you can wait for a drop later.

#1597 PenguinMaster

PenguinMaster

Sacrilicious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:23 PM

I would suggest getting the regular edition now. By the time you're done with the content in the original the GOTY will probably have dropped in price and you can decide then if you want to pay for more content.

Digital distribution is the death of the preservation of the arts.

Game Collection: http://backloggery.c...r=penguinmaster
Blu-ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...action=overview

#1598 bigdsinferno

bigdsinferno

unicorns are kick ass!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

or ... just buy the regular edition and rent the goty. when you rent the goty, it'll allow you to install the additional content onto your xbox hard drive.
Posted Image

#1599 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:36 PM

or ... just buy the regular edition and rent the goty. when you rent the goty, it'll allow you to install the additional content onto your xbox hard drive.

Who rents out the GOTY? Hollywood video doesn't, I haven't seen it at Blockbuster either

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1600 bigdsinferno

bigdsinferno

unicorns are kick ass!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:43 PM

i got mine through gamefly. i'm sure they have a free 2 week or 1 month membership. the content you want is installed when you put disc 2 into the xbox.
Posted Image

#1601 Rouzhokuu

Rouzhokuu

Bio-Shocked!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

Well, I'll be. I didn't know you could just rent the GOTY and copy the info over.

I think I saw it at Blockbuster the last time I was in, actually.

That is what I will do, then.

#1602 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:10 PM

I tried playing this again last night and I just can't get into it. I think I'm near the first Oblivion gate and these little devil looking creatures keep killing me. I only have an axe and a wooden shield to protect myself... I don't think I get it...

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1603 munch

munch

la tĂȘte de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:15 PM

I tried playing this again last night and I just can't get into it. I think I'm near the first Oblivion gate and these little devil looking creatures keep killing me. I only have an axe and a wooden shield to protect myself... I don't think I get it...

I got stuck at the same part on the PC version. I gave up, but I think you're supposed to meet up with someone inside the gate that helps you. I'm going to give it a shot next year.

#1604 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:26 PM

:lol: That's exactly where I stopped and why I stopped, I just figured I wasn't strong enough to defeat them or something.

#1605 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:26 PM

The nice thing about Oblivion is if you get stuck in an area, just use the difficulty slider to lower it a bit for just that one section, then raise it back up again.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#1606 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:30 PM

The nice thing about Oblivion is if you get stuck in an area, just use the difficulty slider to lower it a bit for just that one section, then raise it back up again.

Really!? I'll have to give that a shot sometime then.

#1607 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

Really!? I'll have to give that a shot sometime then.

Yeah, there was one side quest I was stuck at (you literally were in another dimension and couldn't escape until you finished) and I was scared I would have to restart the entire game, but was able to easily get through using that method.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#1608 lordxixor101

lordxixor101

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:38 PM

Yeah, there was one side quest I was stuck at (you literally were in another dimension and couldn't escape until you finished) and I was scared I would have to restart the entire game, but was able to easily get through using that method.

I remember that spot. I was stuck there for a bit too, I managed my way through it without moving the difficulty slider. Really, that might have been the only part I was really stuck on for any length.

All I know is that I did some of the side missions before even starting the main mission, so I wonder if you just need to level a bit more (I know, classic RPG answer, but even with the enemies getting stronger, I felt like I was getting stronger as the game went on).

#1609 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

Hmmm... I'll have to try the difficulty slider. I met up with a guy locked in a tower who gave me a key and told me to get to the top of the other tower so that's where I'm at. I can barely see in there though. Maybe I have to keep playing to "get it" or something? My in-game times says I'm at 3 hours and if a game doesn't grab me by then chances are it won't but this game is so huge and so many people like it that maybe 3 hours really isn't a fair shot...

#1610 pittpizza

pittpizza

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

Jav, I'm sort of in your boat too. I have never played the game but really want to try it out. SOunds that it is not super addictign though and most of the games I really like I get addicted to.

So whats teh deal with this game, itw as GOTY in 2006? Is it an MMORPG where you pick a class and group up with other hunting parties and you can play a role within that party and go and level up and stuff like in WoW?
Wii-Sixty FTWiin. Fanboys STFU & GTFO!

Now playing: Assassin's Creed 2, Battlestations Pacific, Madden 10, Army of Two, 40th Day.

Recently beat: Bioshock (again).

#1611 Whipt

Whipt

Do I have some on my face

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:31 PM

Jav, I'm sort of in your boat too. I have never played the game but really want to try it out. SOunds that it is not super addictign though and most of the games I really like I get addicted to.

So whats teh deal with this game, itw as GOTY in 2006? Is it an MMORPG where you pick a class and group up with other hunting parties and you can play a role within that party and go and level up and stuff like in WoW?

No, it's a single player only role playing game. The battle system is in real time (Right trigger swings sword, etc) and there is a huge land to explore and tons of quests to do.

I never finished the main quest and went and did my own thing(like probably most other people did). Great game.

#1612 hootie

hootie

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

Oh, it's addicting.

I've spent over 60 hours on my main character...I just got back into it because I recently got Shivering Isles (great DLC, by the way)

I can't really explain exactly why I love it so much...I guess it just has a certain charm to it that I can't get enough of. Some times I love to just drop all of my equipment/potions/etc in my house, take a hunters vest and pants, and just go hunting deer/bears/etc in the wilderness around Cyrodii with my bow. It's good fun and is generally relaxing.

I'd just make sure you finish the main quest before doing that though, I hate running into Oblivion gates while roaming around the mountains hunting game on a snowy day.

#1613 Whipt

Whipt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:34 PM

Hmmm... I'll have to try the difficulty slider. I met up with a guy locked in a tower who gave me a key and told me to get to the top of the other tower so that's where I'm at. I can barely see in there though. Maybe I have to keep playing to "get it" or something? My in-game times says I'm at 3 hours and if a game doesn't grab me by then chances are it won't but this game is so huge and so many people like it that maybe 3 hours really isn't a fair shot...

Keep trying and finish that Oblivion gate, you're almost done with it anyway. Maybe adjust your screen brightness? After you get through that part go explore and give some of the other things to do in the game a shot. Remember to rest in areas where there aren't monsters to regain health. At some of the begining levels you don't have much health, but that changes later on.

#1614 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:37 PM

It's hugely addicting. I'll have to start playing it again after Christmas. I sold my copy months ago when the GOTY was rumored. Will have to look for a sale on the original or the GOTY.

#1615 Whipt

Whipt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:02 PM

It's hugely addicting. I'll have to start playing it again after Christmas. I sold my copy months ago when the GOTY was rumored. Will have to look for a sale on the original or the GOTY.

I did the same thinking it'd all be on one disk. I already had Shivering Isles but wanted a backup copy just in case, but I've been kicking myself ever since. I plan on just rebuying it at a buy 2 get one sale.

#1616 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

I did the same thinking it'd all be on one disk. I already had Shivering Isles but wanted a backup copy just in case, but I've been kicking myself ever since. I plan on just rebuying it at a buy 2 get one sale.

EBStop after Christmas is my target. But I'll be patient and get the best deal.

#1617 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:27 PM

Keep trying and finish that Oblivion gate, you're almost done with it anyway. Maybe adjust your screen brightness? After you get through that part go explore and give some of the other things to do in the game a shot. Remember to rest in areas where there aren't monsters to regain health. At some of the begining levels you don't have much health, but that changes later on.

yeah, my goal was to at least close one Oblivion gate (for at least an achievement!) - is there a "boss" or something I'll find impossible to kill once I get to the top? I did like the overworld even though it seemed overwhelming when I popped out of the sewer but I've been stuck in this brown/red area for what seems like ages and it's not that fun. I also have no idea if I'm getting everything I should be getting or exploring where I should be exploring. Just in this area alone I feel like there are a bunch of doors and stuff I still have to wander into...

#1618 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:37 PM

I closed one gate, and got the books, and now I'm at the part where
Spoiler

Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 (360), Black Ops (360)

Posted Image

#1619 drbutchevil

drbutchevil

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:12 PM

I closed one gate, and got the books, and now I'm at the part where

Spoiler

Spoiler

#1620 mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:23 PM

Anyone who has given up on this game should keep playing. I wasn't impressed until after I closed the first gate. It gets really fun when you join the different guilds. The game gets easier as you progress because you'll level up and be able to carry stronger weapons and cast stronger spells. I got this game in October and it's the only game I've been playing since.