The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gen. Discussion & Info

• Please log in to reply
1833 replies to this topic

#1621 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:24 AM

Anyone who has given up on this game should keep playing. I wasn't impressed until after I closed the first gate. It gets really fun when you join the different guilds. The game gets easier as you progress because you'll level up and be able to carry stronger weapons and cast stronger spells. I got this game in October and it's the only game I've been playing since.

aside from Animal Crossing WW and Tekken DR, this is the only game I've been able to play nonstop for more than a year. I'll probably get back into it again tonight and do a few side quests.

#1622 mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:36 AM

aside from Animal Crossing WW and Tekken DR, this is the only game I've been able to play nonstop for more than a year. I'll probably get back into it again tonight and do a few side quests.

I don't know if it will last me a year, but I doubt I'll stop playing it until I've done everything.

#1623 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:59 AM

Oh man, you guys are making me want to play again. I already have over 120 hours on the game...

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#1624 ThatDamnDave

ThatDamnDave

It's spaghetti time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:48 PM

I have this sitting on the backlog pile. I'm hoping I'll have some time over Christmas to at least get the ball rolling.
2008 Completed Games
2008 Spending Tab
My Trade List
Posted Image

Join us online at the unofficial CAG IRC chat room
Server: irc.us.gamesurge.net
Room: #cheapassgamer

#1625 destinywaste

destinywaste

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:55 PM

I've been playing this game for a couple days and it's slowing growing on me.

I'm kinda stuck in the main quest though. I've closed the first Oblivion gate and went back to Savlian Matius who asked me to help him rid the city of those fire-throwing creatures. I helped him clear the area infront of the chappel and then went in to the chappel to speak with Brother Martin who refused to leave until it's safe. Then I went and opened the city gate to allow the soldiers to come in and deal with the rest of the creatures. I further help this Matius guy by bringing him a ring from some dead guy.

I head back to the Chappel to take Martin with me back to Weynon Priory but the guy isn't to be seen anywhere! The dumbass locals don't know shit about him either. Have I missed something here.. any help would be appreciated.

I'm finding the guilds part of the game very enjoyable though.
Have been running around completing side quests to get in guilds. Gonna try and get into the thiefs guild tonight.
[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/destinywaste"]Posted Image[/URL]

#1626 mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:01 PM

This site has everything you'll ever need to know about Obilvion.

http://www.uesp.net/...livion:Oblivion

#1627 kaptinmorgan

kaptinmorgan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:51 AM

i just finally borrowed this game from a friend about a month ago, been playin off and on a bit, but was devastated at the fact there is the slightest little scratch on the disc apparently right at the point where you try and do the quest to join the thieves guild, this kinda killed it for me, been working with the fighters and mages guild though, and those are fun, gonna have to pop it back in and play it, got sidetracked by a bioshock rental.

#1628 mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:32 AM

So far I've finished the fighters guild, mages guild, and I'm Champion in the arena. As for the thieves guild
Spoiler
. I'll probably do the main quest after I finish all the guilds.

#1629 rabbitt

rabbitt

A Symphony of Horror

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:34 AM

I have this sitting on the backlog pile. I'm hoping I'll have some time over Christmas to at least get the ball rolling.

...and that's the last we ever heard of him.

#1630 Mechafenris

Mechafenris

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:50 AM

So far I've finished the fighters guild, mages guild, and I'm Champion in the arena. As for the thieves guild

Spoiler
. I'll probably do the main quest after I finish all the guilds.

It's good to complete the Thieves guild before you do Knights of the Nine (for reasons you will see as soon as you get closer to doing the last T.G. quest.) I didn't... and it made for some annoying things to happen dialogue-wise...

If you've not finished the Mages guild quests, skip that spoiler. :)

Spoiler

Try to carry as many feather potions as you can (or better yet, learn the spell) because when you hit some of the main quest, there'll be so much loot you will want to hock or put somewhere for safe keeping that no matter how strong your character is, he can't carry it all.. (or she).

Remember some of the conversations with NPCs and you'll discover another guild to get quests from as well (that yield a nice bonus, btw.)
Spoiler

"Don't make me use my stuff on ya, baby."

#1631 apkp

apkp

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:39 AM

I've been playing this game for a couple days and it's slowing growing on me.

I'm kinda stuck in the main quest though. I've closed the first Oblivion gate and went back to Savlian Matius who asked me to help him rid the city of those fire-throwing creatures. I helped him clear the area infront of the chappel and then went in to the chappel to speak with Brother Martin who refused to leave until it's safe. Then I went and opened the city gate to allow the soldiers to come in and deal with the rest of the creatures. I further help this Matius guy by bringing him a ring from some dead guy.

I head back to the Chappel to take Martin with me back to Weynon Priory but the guy isn't to be seen anywhere! The dumbass locals don't know shit about him either. Have I missed something here.. any help would be appreciated.

I'm finding the guilds part of the game very enjoyable though.
Have been running around completing side quests to get in guilds. Gonna try and get into the thiefs guild tonight.

Don't know if this helps but when I first started the game, I wasn't familiar with the quest log which helps finding people. Make sure for this particular quest, it's set as the active one and he'll show up on the small compass and you can just follow it until you find him. I didn't know about this at first so I had a hard time finding people.

Other than that, not sure as I completed the game with no major problems regarding glitches like that but I wouldn't say the game is glitch free either.

#1632 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:42 AM

by far the best stories in the game have to go with the theives guild (hardest also IMHO) and the dark brotherhood (best and most rewarding). The deadric quests are fun as well, but more worth it if you plan to do them all since they give you a huge stat boost.

#1633 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:06 AM

This might just be me, but did anyone else get a title update for this game when they put their game disc in recently? Because I did.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1634 io

io

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:26 AM

Same here, but I might play Mass Effect first. I haven't even turned on my 360 in at least a week or two though :cry:. Besides playing a few Wii games with my son I haven't had time to do any gaming. It is like the "holidays" provide way LESS time for me to game than usual!

But I do want to start this eventually. I may have asked this before, but I'll restate it: I bought a used copy of the regular version since I didn't want to lay out $60 for the GotY. Besides the free fighter's guild thing I downloaded, what else would you guys suggest I get for the start of the game (ie, pay to download)? What class makes progressing through all the guilds the easiest? Which guild to start with? Yeah, lots o' questions... I played Morrowind quite a bit (on PC) but never finished it. I pretty much know nothing about Oblivion, though it is the reason I wanted to get a 360.

#1635 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:35 AM

Not necessary, but helpfull (also cheap): the tomes

necessary to have a good "home" in the game: wizards tower

#1636 mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:40 PM

Same here, but I might play Mass Effect first. I haven't even turned on my 360 in at least a week or two though :cry:. Besides playing a few Wii games with my son I haven't had time to do any gaming. It is like the "holidays" provide way LESS time for me to game than usual!

But I do want to start this eventually. I may have asked this before, but I'll restate it: I bought a used copy of the regular version since I didn't want to lay out $60 for the GotY. Besides the free fighter's guild thing I downloaded, what else would you guys suggest I get for the start of the game (ie, pay to download)? What class makes progressing through all the guilds the easiest? Which guild to start with? Yeah, lots o' questions... I played Morrowind quite a bit (on PC) but never finished it. I pretty much know nothing about Oblivion, though it is the reason I wanted to get a 360.

I've put in about 70 hours and all I have is the free Fighter's Stronghold, which is your own castle that you can store your stuff in without it disappearing (in the hidden section of the private quarters).

As for the best class, I don't really know because I've only played as a Breton assassin. I like it because I'm good with physical attacks and I just leveled up my restoration and destruction so now I'm good at both. Being able to sneak comes in handy too. After playing for a while you can level up to be good at anything though. You can even change your class before you leave the sewers if you find out you don't like the class you chose.

It doesn't matter which guild you do first as far as I know. Personally I went mages, fighters, thieves, then I'll do the last one
Spoiler
. I guess the thieves guild might be easier after leveling up sneak some. It's not like once you choose a guild you can only do that one. I suggest doing a mission for each and then choose the guild you liked best.

You might want to play Mass Effect before this if you hope to play it before spring comes. :lol:

Spoiler

Try to carry as many feather potions as you can (or better yet, learn the spell) because when you hit some of the main quest, there'll be so much loot you will want to hock or put somewhere for safe keeping that no matter how strong your character is, he can't carry it all.. (or she).

Remember some of the conversations with NPCs and you'll discover another guild to get quests from as well (that yield a nice bonus, btw.)
Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah, I learned a feather spell just for that reason. :D

Spoiler

#1637 Agrippan

Agrippan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

I don't know this for a fact, but I have heard rumor that you can just rent the GotY edition and install Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles to your hard drive. If that's true, those are well worth it; Knights of the Nine was a solid set of quests and SI (from what I've played so far) is a great change of place from the main world of Oblivion.

#1638 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:29 PM

I bought the GOTY edition 2-3 months ago, and still haven't opened it. Been wanting to get into it, but I don't want to get sucked in, and have the other hot games in my backlog get ingnored.

I'll start it eventually, and then it will consume me. I have the strategy guide, so I've no worries about getting stuck anywhere. Between the penny I paid for the guides, and the super-sweet deal I got on the game ($19.99, mispriced at The City), this one will be in my collection for a long time.:)

#1639 evanft

evanft

Wombat needs Nutrisystem.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

I wish I could find a penny guide for Oblivion.

So...just got this yesterday from TRAINN. I chose an imperial born under the warrior. Good choice? What should I do for my class?

#1640 Whipt

Whipt

Do I have some on my face

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:45 PM

yeah, my goal was to at least close one Oblivion gate (for at least an achievement!) - is there a "boss" or something I'll find impossible to kill once I get to the top? I did like the overworld even though it seemed overwhelming when I popped out of the sewer but I've been stuck in this brown/red area for what seems like ages and it's not that fun. I also have no idea if I'm getting everything I should be getting or exploring where I should be exploring. Just in this area alone I feel like there are a bunch of doors and stuff I still have to wander into...

Nothing to worry about at the top. There will be some enemies there though. Don't worry too much about missing stuff in that first Oblivion gate, it's pretty much just some other similar looking rooms and hallways.

The overworld is great, but keep in mind there will be some long dungeons. Still, before moving on try out one of the guilds and explore a little. I barely touched the main quest until I was over 30 hours into the game.

#1641 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:58 PM

I wish I could find a penny guide for Oblivion.

So...just got this yesterday from TRAINN. I chose an imperial born under the warrior. Good choice? What should I do for my class?

I'll check my stash to see if I have extras.

#1642 pittpizza

pittpizza

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:00 PM

Can anybody explain the differences to me between Oblviion, Oblivioni CE, and Oblivion GOTY Edition?

Also is shivering isle's a different game...just the expansion that is useless w/out the original oblviion?
Wii-Sixty FTWiin. Fanboys STFU & GTFO!

Now playing: Assassin's Creed 2, Battlestations Pacific, Madden 10, Army of Two, 40th Day.

Recently beat: Bioshock (again).

#1643 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:01 PM

Going to go see if my TRU has the CE for $15. Then rent the GOTY from BB.

#1644 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:15 PM

Can anybody explain the differences to me between Oblviion, Oblivioni CE, and Oblivion GOTY Edition?

Also is shivering isle's a different game...just the expansion that is useless w/out the original oblviion?

Collector's Edition: http://pc.ign.com/ar...3/683351p1.html

GOTY: http://www.elderscro...y_overview.html

Shivering Isles http://www.xbox.com/...veringisles.htm and Knights of the Nine http://www.xbox.com/...t-ninequest.htm are expansions.

Perhaps these could be added to the OP?

#1645 ThatDamnDave

ThatDamnDave

It's spaghetti time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:05 PM

I picked up an Oblivion guide at my local Half Price Books a month or so ago. I think it was in the $5 range. Obviously that's no penny deal, but it'll come in handy.
2008 Completed Games
2008 Spending Tab
My Trade List
Posted Image

Join us online at the unofficial CAG IRC chat room
Server: irc.us.gamesurge.net
Room: #cheapassgamer

#1646 Mechafenris

Mechafenris

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:49 PM

I've put in about 70 hours and all I have is the free Fighter's Stronghold, which is your own castle that you can store your stuff in without it disappearing (in the hidden section of the private quarters).

Spoiler

Spoiler

"Don't make me use my stuff on ya, baby."

#1647 DustHimself

DustHimself

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:00 PM

Haha, wow. I've been stuck for a looong time in this game, and now that i come here I finally find out that there's a difficulty slider. I feel fucking stupid. Thanks guys.

#1648 destinywaste

destinywaste

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:21 AM

This site has everything you'll ever need to know about Obilvion.

http://www.uesp.net/...livion:Oblivion

Thanks. That link is an absolute gem!

How I wish I got this game a lot earlier.. still need to go through Half-Life 2, Portal and Gears. It's highly unlikely that I'm gonna put in one of those discs until I had my share of Cyrodiil.
[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/destinywaste"]Posted Image[/URL]

#1649 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:54 AM

bought shivering isles a month ago, still haven't played any of it, omg. thank god i bought the DVD version!
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#1650 evanft

evanft

Wombat needs Nutrisystem.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:23 PM

I love reading forums where Morrowind fans bitch and whine about things in Oblivion, like fast travel, unkillable quest NPCs, and the fact that the game has fewer books. Yeah, cause running around bland wastelands, accidentally breaking quests, and spending hours reading were really the highlights of that game.