Photo
- - - - -

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gen. Discussion & Info

• Please log in to reply
1833 replies to this topic

#1771 io

io

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:26 AM

I'm over 90 hours in and have kind of put it aside because my son got tired watching me play. I got caught up just doing random quests and outfitting all the DLC stuff I got (mages tower, and stronghold mostly). I also maxed out my Alchemy and I haven't even been to Shivering Isles yet. I finished the Arena first, then the Fighter's guild and Mage's guild before doing anything on the main quest. Then I made some progress there and was starting in on the Knights of the Nine most recently. I was just looking at the achievement list (I had better get them all with all the time I've put in!) and was disappointed to see Dark Brotherhood on there but Knights of the Nine not (I figured it would have added 50 of the extra 250 DLC points but I guess they are all in Shivering Isles).

I am kind of dreading doing both the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood as I've been playing "good" so far. I did end up getting a visit from the Dark Brotherhood after premptively killing someone who would have fought me anyway during a quest (it counted as a murder even though I would have to kill him anyway - I guess because I struck first though it was a big group of dudes one of the final Mage Guild quests so I really had no choice as I was being attacked by the others already).

I also have the Fin Gleam (google that or look it up in a FAQ as it is a cool piece of equipment to have early on) and the skeleton key (again, look it up but it renders lockpicks obsolete and was very nice to have since I focused my character on magic/alchemy/swords and passed on the thieving type skills). So I guess with those and my fairly powerful character now (lots of cool spells and potion-making abilities) I should be able to handle the Thieves guild/Dark Brotherhood without too much trouble.

A question about Shivering Isles - it looks like from descriptions I've read that you pretty much can't go back until very deep into that (or until you finish it?). Is that the case? If so I'd want to do some serious inventory management. I am always carrying too much because of all the achemy stuff and even with Feather spells and potions I get overloaded in dungeons when I keep getting claymores and such. But I am always obsessed with getting every item out to sell that I end up making multiple trips - another reason why I have so many hours into the game ;). For Shivering Isles, if I can't get back and forth I'd definitely want to go there fairly lightly loaded.

#1772 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:03 AM

Is this a glitch or something? I looked on the UESPwiki and it didnt say anything about this. But these weird things show up in Eugal Belette's basement in the city of Chorrol.

Spoiler

It also said that he would attack me after i beat the Dagon Shrine quest, but he didnt. Instead the guard just started to fight him out of nowhere and killed him LOL.

8llo.pngthe7thnumber.png

2014 - Year of the Video Games - Currently Playing: Shadow of the Colossus HD - Playstation 3

#1773 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:54 PM

Is this a glitch or something? I looked on the UESPwiki and it didnt say anything about this. But these weird things show up in Eugal Belette's basement in the city of Chorrol.

Spoiler

It also said that he would attack me after i beat the Dagon Shrine quest, but he didnt. Instead the guard just started to fight him out of nowhere and killed him LOL.

That pic is weird. Prolly a texture popping/glitch issue.

I love taking the fight outside and having NPC's join in the fray. I can just sit back and shoot off random fireballs to help out without getting hit.

I'm about 87 hours in now, mainly focusing on the Mages' guild quests. I've stopped picking up weapons and other stuff to sell, because I have plenty of gold. I only pick up scrolls/potions/weapons/armor now that will actually help me, since my carrying capacity is almost maxed.

I can now fix my own magical armor and weapons, so that's pretty helpful.

#1774 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:54 PM

Found the Shrine of Dagon for 50 points in chivos last night. Also killed some vampires and vampire hunters for Hassildor. Wish I didn't have to kill the hunters, but oh well. I kept getting bounties and taken to the castle after I paid the fines. Luckily, I didn't have any stolen goods taken away, and didn't have to spend time in jail.

I really need to go through my shit and sell or drop items that I'm not using. I'm totally maxed out on carrying capacity. I think I'll just start buying houses in all the towns to store items that I may need later. It's not like I'm hurting for gold.

#1775 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:10 PM

I have a ton of spells and potions i need to sell or use, i hate scrolling through them all lol. Right now im going to each city gathering soldiers to bring back to Bruma, of course i have to close a gate for each city so far....except for imperial city. I think i only have one city left.

Last night i couldnt access my Fighters Stronghold since xbox live was down, (guess i downloaded it on the xbox 360 i had before repairs) which sucks. I hope even though i saved my game without the castle there, that it remembers all the items i left inside the castle.

8llo.pngthe7thnumber.png

2014 - Year of the Video Games - Currently Playing: Shadow of the Colossus HD - Playstation 3

#1776 io

io

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

Found the Shrine of Dagon for 50 points in chivos last night. Also killed some vampires and vampire hunters for Hassildor. Wish I didn't have to kill the hunters, but oh well. I kept getting bounties and taken to the castle after I paid the fines. Luckily, I didn't have any stolen goods taken away, and didn't have to spend time in jail.

The way I did that one was to tell the hunters about the vampires and then go to the cave. Once you enter, the hunters come in and start fighing the vampires. The vampires took care of the hunters for me and all I had to do was mop up a couple of vampires that were left over. Also, even if you have to kill the hunters there you won't get in trouble for it. I did it a few times and initially the hunters won but since I didn't want to increase my "murder" count, I reloaded until the vampires won. But when the hunters win they just stand there and you could kill them easily in the cave (and I don't think there's a bounty in that case, right?).

I've played the entire game so far without a single bounty or night in jail. That's why I've been hesitant to start the Thieves guild (or Dark Brotherhood) quest line yet.

#1777 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:19 AM

Im on the quest "Defense of Bruma". After this quest, will all oblivion gates be gone? Im just asking because i think i read someone saying that there are certain things in the oblivion world that i cant get in the regular world. Im not sure if i should beat it and complete the main story.

8llo.pngthe7thnumber.png

#1778 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:05 AM

The way I did that one was to tell the hunters about the vampires and then go to the cave. Once you enter, the hunters come in and start fighing the vampires. The vampires took care of the hunters for me and all I had to do was mop up a couple of vampires that were left over. Also, even if you have to kill the hunters there you won't get in trouble for it. I did it a few times and initially the hunters won but since I didn't want to increase my "murder" count, I reloaded until the vampires won. But when the hunters win they just stand there and you could kill them easily in the cave (and I don't think there's a bounty in that case, right?).

I've played the entire game so far without a single bounty or night in jail. That's why I've been hesitant to start the Thieves guild (or Dark Brotherhood) quest line yet.

Not sure about the bounty stuff. It's kinda funny to see a guard come flying out of a town when you attack someone though. I tried to get the vampire hunters' dispositions down first, so that they'd attack me first (no bounty that way), but they wouldn't even talk to me.

#1779 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:56 AM

Wow thats lame. I played all day offline because xbox live was down. So i didnt have the battlehorn castle DLC, i have to be online to use it i guess. Now that xbox live is back up, i had to do the Battlehorn castle quest again, and i lost everything i saved in my rooms, and ill have to rebuy the trophy room upgrade. This blows. I saved some cool stuff too, like the ring of burden. Sure it was worthless and like 250 weight, but it was something you kept. Also had some cool weapons i left in there. Things like that, all gone. Time to look for a house i can use offline, so this wont happen again. Also makes me rethink about buying any DLC for this game.

8llo.pngthe7thnumber.png

#1780 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:56 PM

That's what I was afraid would happen by playing offline last night. I turned off my console when I got the message that some of the content could not be found.

Sucks that you had to experience that, 7th Number.

#1781 dropbearGSH

dropbearGSH

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

It's weird that this thread popped up from the depths; I randomly decided to pick this game up again last week.

Edited by dropbearGSH, 17 June 2009 - 01:36 PM.

#1782 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:58 AM

Wow, i got a glitch or something. The last animal part i gave to the taxidermist in the battlehorn castle was the claw to make that dinosaur animal. I gave it to her, more than two days have passed. I go to my trophy room and its the only one missing. When i talk to her, i select create a trophy, and the only option i can pick is 'Nevermind'. So i guess im screwed out of 1 missing trophy. Man im glad i got this castle for free, its been nothing but a hassle.

8llo.pngthe7thnumber.png

#1783 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:06 AM

Yeah I had that same problem... been a while since i played so I might be wrong, but after many weeks in-game passed and doing other quests it showed up.

#1784 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:21 AM

Right now im doing the quest where you have to take this womans staff because those demons keep showing up and makes her house smell like a barn, only im not doing the quest at all. Instead i just keep killing those bastards with magic so i can level up faster lol. I even used the spell to make people like you more on the woman, got my illusion magic up to 100 pretty quick. Im at level 20 overall.

8llo.pngthe7thnumber.png

#1785 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

If it wasn't for the fact that I have such an insane backlog right now I'd get Oblivion and play through it again.

Posted Image

#1786 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:19 PM

I'm with you Maklershed, I have 74 360 games on my shelf lol and I'm prob playing something like 10 of them in a rotation so yea Oblivion is fun but takes up way too much time.

N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.

Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D  Watch Dogs, Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#1787 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:17 AM

Wow ive had this game lock up on my 3 times today. One time it corrupted my save file, but it was good it was only the autosave.

Finished the mages guild missions. Now im making my own armor. Pretty much all Daedric. I a added 2 sigil stones that fortify 50 points of magic, and 2 sigil stones that feather me 125 points. I got the chameleon magic so i pretty much breeze through caves and forts now. So i really dont need armor that gives me anything other than magic or more weight to carry stuff.

8llo.pngthe7thnumber.png

#1788 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:37 AM

Ok its official I've unsubscribed from this thread now.
Posted Image

N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.

Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D  Watch Dogs, Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#1789 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:48 PM

Finished the Mages Guild quests, so now I can team up with another Mage to do some quests. I went back to Chorral to check out my Guildmaster chest, but it contained no loot. Maybe I didn't wait long enough?

Is there any reason to have that adoring fan follow you around all the time? He can't carry any loot for you, can he?

#1790 freshzen

freshzen

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:42 PM

I stopped playing this because the Thieves Guild quest I was doing was a pain in the ass, but I need to start playing it again. Been too damn side tracked by newer games and my damn Gears addiction.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1791 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:13 AM

So im about 130 hours in and still playing the regular game. I beat the thieves guild and now am working on the Brotherhood one. I came down with vampirism, and it was cool at first. But when i was trying to do some missions it became annoying how i couldnt go out in the day light. So i just finished the quest to find the cure for it and took it. Now i can finally get back to the Brotherhood quests.

I think there was a glitch though. A little after i got the vampire disease, i would get those messages when i waited, and not when i slept. I thought those were supposed to be dreams from sleeping. No big deal, but i thought that was messed up.

I also beat the main story so all the gates are closed now. I think after the brotherhood quests im pretty much done though. Unless i missed some random civilian quests in a town. But i havent even put in shivering isles or knights of the nine.

8llo.pngthe7thnumber.png

#1792 Faithful

Faithful

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:10 AM

Have a quick question. I just rented the GOTY edition from Gamefly and its been a really enjoyable game. I'm 19 hours in and level 3 and having a great time.

Anyway, since it looks like its going to take me forever to play this all the way through, I want to send it back and buy a copy (I like to use gamefly to see if I like the game enough to purchase). I know its been said on this thread that if you have the original disc you can just use the 2nd GOTY disc and load the data on to the hard drive and play the additonal content. However, since I first used the GOTY disc 1 to load the game on with, do I have to buy a GOTY edition Disc 1 to play with or can I "backtrack" and use a regular Oblivion disc? Will my game recognize if I am no longer using the GOTY disc that I used to install the game with? I am thinking of picking up the Oblivion/Bioshock bundle, which only includes the "origional" Oblivion content.

#1793 IceBlueShoes

IceBlueShoes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:09 PM

Have a quick question. I just rented the GOTY edition from Gamefly and its been a really enjoyable game. I'm 19 hours in and level 3 and having a great time.

Anyway, since it looks like its going to take me forever to play this all the way through, I want to send it back and buy a copy (I like to use gamefly to see if I like the game enough to purchase). I know its been said on this thread that if you have the original disc you can just use the 2nd GOTY disc and load the data on to the hard drive and play the additonal content. However, since I first used the GOTY disc 1 to load the game on with, do I have to buy a GOTY edition Disc 1 to play with or can I "backtrack" and use a regular Oblivion disc? Will my game recognize if I am no longer using the GOTY disc that I used to install the game with? I am thinking of picking up the Oblivion/Bioshock bundle, which only includes the "origional" Oblivion content.

Seems like you only use the 2nd disc to install the updates and after that it's done.
Don't see why you wouldn't be able to backtrack, its no different than loading up the DLC.

Anyways, I just started this game and just finished up the 1st "chapter". I got killed a LOT. I made the big mistake of sending away the dude that supposed to help you and I was only at level 1. I'm in desperate need of leveling up...
Anyways, good game. I'm playing as a night elf.
I'm wondering though, can you be in more than 1 guild?
Posted Image
Mr.Mosquito, where art thou? :whee::pray:

#1794 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:36 PM

Yes i joined all the guilds. I did both mages and fighters guiled at the same time too.

Man i just beat shivering isles, and it was pretty good. But after i finished the main game and Knights of the nine, i was exhausted of this game. I just wanted to get Shivering Isles over with. I still might go on and see if i can do some side missions for fun, but i got all the achievements. Fun game and it took me about 150 hours to beat the main game, KOTN, and Shivering Isles. But after that im looking for a different genre to play LOL. Ive had my fix of FPRPPG.

8llo.pngthe7thnumber.png

#1795 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:58 PM

go play fallout 3 :lol:

#1796 Matt Young

Matt Young

Follow the buzzards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:52 AM

Okay, I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes", but... If a friend of mine has the GOTY Edition, I can just copy the DLC from the disc to my hard drive and then have it available to play whenever I want, correct? I'd love to finish the main quest of Oblivion and then delve into the Shivering Isles once I wrap up Fallout 3.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#1797 OnyxPrimal

OnyxPrimal

Chocolate Goodness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:58 AM

Okay, I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes", but... If a friend of mine has the GOTY Edition, I can just copy the DLC from the disc to my hard drive and then have it available to play whenever I want, correct? I'd love to finish the main quest of Oblivion and then delve into the Shivering Isles once I wrap up Fallout 3.

Yes.

#1798 Matt Young

Matt Young

Follow the buzzards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:16 AM

Awesome! Thanks for confirming.

Posted Image

#1799 Richlough

Richlough

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:55 AM

I saw 2 copies of the CE at Walmart for $69.82 .

card.pngl1.gif

#1800 Matt Young

Matt Young

Follow the buzzards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:15 AM

Oh, one more question- why is the leveling so slow? It's much, much slower than Fallout's. I'm a level 8 after playing 50 hours. A friend of mine is a level 49.... I just messaged him to see how many hours he has put in. That seems impossible, unless the expansions provide much greater leveling opportunities.

Posted Image