Barry Bonds' Steroid Regimen Revealed

PittsburghAfterDark

CAGiversary!
Bonds exposed

Shadows details superstar slugger's steroid use

Posted: Tuesday March 7, 2006 12:55PM; Updated: Tuesday March 7, 2006 1:57PM

NEW YORK (SI.com) -- Beginning in 1998 with injections in his buttocks of Winstrol, a powerful steroid, Barry Bonds took a wide array of performance-enhancing drugs over at least five seasons in a massive doping regimen that grew more sophisticated as the years went on, according to Game of Shadows, a book written by two San Francisco Chronicle reporters at the forefront of reporting on the BALCO steroid distribution scandal.

(An excerpt of Game of Shadows that details Bonds' steroid use appears exclusively in the March 13 issue of Sports Illustrated, which is available on newsstands beginning on Wednesday. The book's publication date is March 27.)

The authors, Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams, describe in sometimes day-to-day, drug-by-drug detail how often and how deeply Bonds engaged in the persistent doping. For instance, the authors write that by 2001, when Bonds broke Mark McGwire's single-season home-run record (70) by belting 73, Bonds was using two designer steroids referred to as the Cream and the Clear, as well as insulin, human growth hormone, testosterone decanoate (a fast-acting steroid known as Mexican beans) and trenbolone, a steroid created to improve the muscle quality of cattle.

BALCO tracked Bonds' usage with doping calendars and folders -- detailing drugs, quantities, intervals and Bonds' testosterone levels -- that wound up in the hands of federal agents upon their Sept. 3, 2003 raid of the Burlingame, Calif., business.

Depending on the substance, Bonds used the drugs in virtually every conceivable form: injecting himself with a syringe or being injected by his trainer, Greg Anderson, swallowing pills, placing drops of liquid under his tongue, and, in the case of BALCO's notorious testosterone-based cream, applying it topically.

According to the book, Bonds gulped as many as 20 pills at a time and was so deeply reliant on his regimen that he ordered Anderson to start "cycles" -- a prescribed period of steroid use lasting about three weeks -- even when he was not due to begin one. Steroid users typically stop usage for a week or two periodically to allow the body to continue to produce natural testosterone; otherwise, such production diminishes or ceases with the continued introduction of synthetic forms of the muscle-building hormone.

Bonds called for the re-starting of cycles when he felt his energy and power start to drop. If Anderson told Bonds he was not due for another cycle, the authors write, Bonds would tell him, "F--- off, I'll do it myself.''

When informed of the book this morning and asked if he was concerned about it, Bonds told a group of reporters gathered around his locker, "Nope. I won't even look at it [the book]. For what? I won't even look at it. There's no need to." He then walked away.

The authors compiled the information over a two-year investigation that included, but was not limited to, court documents, affidavits filed by BALCO investigators, confidential memoranda of federal agents (including statements made to them by athletes and trainers), grand jury testimony, audiotapes and interviews with more than 200 sources. Some of the information previously was reported by the authors in the Chronicle. Some of the information is new. For instance, in an extensive note on sourcing, the authors said memos detailing statements by BALCO owner Victor Conte, vice president James Valente and Anderson to IRS special agent Jeff Novitzky were sealed when they first consulted them, but have been unsealed since.

The preponderance of evidence is by far the most detailed and damning condemnation that Bonds, formerly a sleek five-tool player, built himself into a hulking, record-setting home run hitter at an advanced baseball age with a cornucopia of elaborate, illegally-administered chemicals. Through 1998, for instance, when he turned 34, Bonds averaged one home run every 16.1 at bats. Since then -- what the authors identify as the start of his doping regimen -- Bonds has hit home runs nearly twice as frequently (one every 8.5 at bats).

The authors describe how Bonds turned to steroids after the 1998 season because he was jealous of McGwire. Bonds hit 37 home runs in '98 -- a nice total and the fourth most of his career at that point -- but he was ignored by fans and the media who were captivated by McGwire's 70 home runs and his duel for the record with Sammy Sosa, who hit 66 that year.

According to the book, Bonds, in comments to his mistress, Kimberly Bell, often dismissed McGwire with racially-charged remarks such as, "They're just letting him do it because he's a white boy." But Bonds looked at McGwire and his hulking physique and decided he needed to dramatically increase his muscle mass to compete with him.

It was immediately after that 1998 season, the book said, that Bonds hooked up with Anderson, a gym rat known to obtain steroids and growth hormone from AIDS patients in San Francisco who were legally prescribed the drugs but sold them to make money. The authors write that the San Francisco Giants, Bonds' employer, would later discover through a background check that Anderson was connected to a gym that was known as a place to score steroids and that he was rumored to be a dealer. Yet the Giants -- who didn't want to upset their superstar -- continued to allow Anderson free reign about their ballpark and inside their clubhouse.

The authors write that Anderson started Bonds on Winstrol, also known as stanozolol, the longtime favorite steroid of bodybuilders, disgraced sprinter Ben Johnson and baseball player Rafael Palmeiro. In 100 days, Bonds packed on 15 pounds of muscle, and at age 35 hit home runs at the best rate of his career, once every 10.4 at bats. But he also grew too big, too fast. He tore his triceps tendon, telling Bell that the steroids "makes me grow faster, but if you're not careful, you can blow it out."

The book said Anderson and Bonds subsequently tweaked the program, adding such drugs as the steroid Deca-Durabolin and growth hormone, which allowed Bonds to retain his energy and physique without rigorous training. Not only did the growth hormone keep him fresh, but after complaining in 1999 about difficulty tracking pitches, he noticed it improved his eyesight as well.

Bonds added more drugs after the 2000 season, when Anderson hooked up Bonds with BALCO and its founder, Conte, according to the authors. In addition to the Cream and the Clear, the steroids designed to be undetectable, Bonds took such drugs as Clomid, a women's infertility drug thought to help a steroid user recover his natural testosterone production, and Modafinil, a narcolepsy drug used as a powerful stimulant.

Whereas Anderson's drug acumen had been forged in the gym culture, Conte and his chemists brought Bonds to another level of sophistication, by prescribing him elaborate cocktails of drugs designed to be even more effective and undetectable. For instance, the authors write that in 2002, when Bonds won his fifth MVP Award and had a .700 on-base percentage in the World Series, he was fueled by meticulous three-week cycles in which he injected growth hormone every other day, took the Cream and the Clear in the days in between, and capped the cycle with Clomid. The cycle was followed by one week off. The authors write that Anderson usually administered the drugs to Bonds at Bonds' home, using a needle to inject the growth hormone and a syringe without a needle to squirt the Clear under his tongue.

In addition to detailing the drug usage, the excerpt portrays Bonds as a menacing boor, a tax cheat and an adulterer given to (probably because of the rampant steroid use) sexual dysfunction, hair loss and wild mood swings that included periods of rage. The authors report that Bonds gave Bell, with whom he continued his affair after his second marriage in January 1998, $80,000 in cash in 2001 from memorabilia income not reported to the IRS. Theirs was a volatile relationship. Bell retained answering machine recordings of him after he threatened to kill her, remarking that if she disappeared no one would be able to prove he even knew her.

In 2003, as their relationship completely unraveled, Bell angered Bonds by showing up late for a hotel rendezvous. According to the excerpt, Bonds put his hand around her throat, pressed her against a wall and whispered, "If you ever f-----' pull some s--- like that again I'll kill you, do you understand me?"

A few weeks later, the authors write, Bonds told Bell, "You need to disappear."

In secret grand jury testimony obtained by the authors, Bonds testified that he did not know what the substances were that Anderson gave him and he put in his body, saying at one point, "It's like, 'Whatever, dude.'" Bonds testified under a grant of immunity, though he was told the immunity did not extend to perjury.

Bonds begins this season with 708 home runs, seven short of passing Babe Ruth for second on the all-time list and 48 from surpassing Hank Aaron as the all-time leader. Three knee surgeries limited Bonds to 14 games last season, have reduced his mobility and left in question his fitness for regular duty this year.

In October, Conte was sentenced to four months in prison and four months of home confinement as part of a plea deal with prosecutors. Anderson pled guilty to money laundering and a steroid distribution charge. He was sentenced to three months in prison and three months of home confinement. Valente pled guilty to reduced charges of steroid distribution and was sentenced to probation.

Sports Illustrated Online

This man should never, ever be in the HOF.

I know steroids won't help you hit a curveball, changeup or major league fastball but every single offensive achievement to me is called into question. I'm not bitter about him leaving Pittsburgh for the Giants. Business is business and I understand those realities in sports.

barry_bonds_2005-02-23.JPG

I don't see how this is natural growth and progression.

bonds1.jpg

bonds327.jpg

I'm open to suggestions as to what kind of exercise regimen, diet and legal OTC suppliments could offset the evidence brought forth by Sports Illustrated's article.

How the league continues to look the other way and let this guy play baseball amazes me. He's the lowest form of athlete...an unrepentant cheater.

Out of that whole article this made me say wtf

trenbolone, a steroid created to improve the muscle quality of cattle.

I have always liked baseball its my sport. Its what we played the most growing up. I have hundreds of baseball cards just sitting. When the steroid thing first started, I was sorta pissed. But then I came to realize that there lots of athlete's that do them. Maybe some are better at controlling themselves then others.

I'm not trying to justify it, however I think if any athlete uses them. They are a cheater, and should be banned from the sport. Cause while your making millions of dollars and the rest of the world "loves" you. There are 20 other people on that bench who don't use and will never be as great as they can. Just cause the roid head on the team is taking all the spotlight. Baseball is at the point to where its not a team sport anymore. Baseball owners want that one good guy that can smack a homer every 3rd at bat. They will pay hundreds of millions for him.

I dare to say the worst abuser in all of sports would be hulk. -"He had scar tissue on his butt from so many injections over the years, and it wa s hard to shove the needle in." - Superstar Billy Graham on injecting Hulk Hogan with testosterone.

I'm not the least bit suprised but what do you do about it? Steroids weren't even illegal in baseball until recently (although they are against the law which is a paradox I find ridiculous). I know that he wouldn't have 1/2 of his numbers if he didn't use steroids and it really shows you how GREAT Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron were. Think about Ruth for a second - he hit 60 when no one was hitting 30 and it wasn't uncommon to see a 600ft. wall out in centerfield back then. Yankee stadium down the line is like 315 now - it was a pop fly for me in high school and I wasn't even that good. Bonds know what he did and he knows his records are fraudulent. That has to be good enough for baseball fans because he's going to break the all-time HR record and he's a first ballot HOFer - no doubt about it.

Am I the only one who wouldn't feel the slightest bit sorry for Bonds if he had a career-ending injury tomorrow? I don't think so. He should be thrown out of the game and have every one of his records expunged.

I live in the Bay Area and the news broadcasters treat him like he can do no wrong here. Previously whenever there was a steriod allegation, the news casters would brush it off. I doubt the media outside of San Francisco is so kind. It just shows you how media can be biased sometimes.

[quote name='neocisco']Am I the only one who wouldn't feel the slightest bit sorry for Bonds if he had a career-ending injury tomorrow? I don't think so. [/QUOTE]
I can't say I'd feel too bad if he ended up having a steroid-induced heart attack tomorrow.

I mentioned the book in the baseball thread, it'll be great when it comes out in a couple weeks. They have so much solid evidence that anyone who still denies Bonds knowingly did steroids is on the same logical ground as a holocaust denier. Or a 9/11 denier.

[quote name='neocisco']Am I the only one who wouldn't feel the slightest bit sorry for Bonds if he had a career-ending injury tomorrow? I don't think so. He should be thrown out of the game and have every one of his records expunged.[/QUOTE]I wouldn't feel sorry if he were brutally tortured, raped, and murdered over 3 agonizing years, but that's just me.

[quote name='dafoomie']I mentioned the book in the baseball thread, it'll be great when it comes out in a couple weeks. They have so much solid evidence that anyone who still denies Bonds knowingly did steroids is on the same logical ground as a holocaust denier. Or a 9/11 denier.[/quote]

The holowhat? 9/11-whosie? Seriously, he did steroids, everyone knows it but there's nothing that can be done at this point in time, unfortunately. If you've ever lifed weights or worked out for any extended period of time you would be that much more certain. No one gets that big from weight training alone. I wonder how many other "average" players who played from roughly 1995-2003 would be considered great players today if no one took steroids and ruined the curve.

From Baseball Primer:

Bonds before 1998 (the year the SI piece labels the beginning of his steroid usage):

.288/.411/.551, 374 HRs (6069 ABs)

after '98

.323/.506/.730, 334 HRs (3071 ABs)

You CAN grow that big by hardcore training/dieting/legal supplements with the right genetics obviously, however Bonds' original body type would NEVER EVER EVER EVER allow him to become that big naturally. It is physically impossible. Same with McGwire, though McGwire's body transformation wasn't as great.

I'm in awe of the guy's accomplishments and I absolutely loved to watch him bat during those godly seasons, but those accomplishments were fraudulent. On top of it he's an ass. They should still allow him into the HoF as long as he changes his legal name to "***** *****".

I agree about the talent of the old guys. Babe Ruth was a fatty and yet he owned everyone hardcore.

The funny thing about Bonds is that even prior to his steroid use, he was a GREAT player. I think people tend to forget that. I'm not defending the guy, but I just find it interesting that his performance after he started steroids overshadows the fact that he was a great player "pre-juice".

[quote name='hopesfall']The funny thing about Bonds is that even prior to his steroid use, he was a GREAT player. I think people tend to forget that. I'm not defending the guy, but I just find it interesting that his performance after he started steroids overshadows the fact that he was a great player "pre-juice".[/QUOTE]

Barry Bonds was a great 30-30 or 40-40 type player. No ifs ands or buts about it. He was a sublime talent without the juice. You didn't sign $50 million contracts in 1993-98 by sucking ass.

However the Giants did not sign him as a power cleanup hitter. He was, in his Pittsburgh days, the ultimate #3 hitter in baseball. Through 98 he was a great #3 hitter with base stealing speed.

MVP seasons in 1990, 92, 93? No one can forget he was a great player before his 98 steroid abuse. Plus he was the MLB player of the year in 1990. People also think he got shafted for the MVP in 91. You can't overlook his achievements.

Here's the biggest tell tale sign of steroid abuse outside his home run totals. Stolen base average before 1998? Over 30. Since 1998? Under 10. I realize players slow with age however 1998 he stole 28 bases, next year? 15. Running totals after that 11 (But 49 home runs.), 13 (73 HR's.), 9 (46 HR's), 7 (45 HR's, 6 (45 HR's).

The stolen base totals there represent diminishing skills of an aging baseball player. The home run totals speak to the increasing role of steroid abuse.

I know no one is going to come to this guy's defense but for a career 30-30 or 40-40 threat? Typically both go. Not just one of them.

before we all go believing everything that is printed is true, someone has already come out challenging the assertion that he did not try anything before 98. If you interviewed over 200 people and ESPN knew this months ago, then these guys are either out there to sell books with distorted facts or they were not as through as they have claimed to be.

And with that said I am not trying to deny what these people have stated. The differences in his body is obvious, but if they cannot even get the beginning of their story straight what makes me want to believe the rest.

On another note, nice of them to take the Canseco route and make sure to release it at the optimal time. Funny how they came out and started discussing this on the first real day of the WBC (ie games are on TV at a decent hour)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2358409

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']I realize players slow with age...[/quote]

Rickey Henderson being the all-time great exception.

Jerry Rice might also be an exception as well.

Like I said, it's the combination of HR's and SB's that I think are the ultimate tell tale. 20-20 to 40-40 threats going to single digits in SB's and near 50 HR's year in and year out is the tell tale to me.

Rickey Henderson only hit into double digit HR's 3 times in the last 10 years of his career and 12 and 14 HR's is not a warning sign of steroid abuse. He also only batted over .300 once in the last 5 years of his career, that also being the first of those 5 years.

Rickey was au naturial. You can make the same comparison to Satchel Paige who appeared in a major league game at age 59. Yes, you read that right. 59. There are natural exceptions to the aging rule.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I wouldn't feel sorry if he were brutally tortured, raped, and murdered over 3 agonizing years, but that's just me.[/quote]

You are sick, beyond that actually. Just.....you are disgusting.

A man is accused of using Supplements that are banned as of now from the MLB. Remember the "drugs" that he used were not outlawed until I believe 03' when the Steroid question became a huge deal.

You gotta feel for this guy, I mean if he did cheat then it's understandable, but i've never seen another player have to go through this barage of interrogation.

[quote name='ph33r m3']You are sick, beyond that actually. Just.....you are disgusting.

A man is accused of using Supplements that are banned as of now from the MLB. Remember the "drugs" that he used were not outlawed until I believe 03' when the Steroid question became a huge deal.

You gotta feel for this guy, I mean if he did cheat then it's understandable, but i've never seen another player have to go through this barage of interrogation.[/quote]

Steroids have always been illegal in society if you don't have a prescription. Whether baseball had rules on it or not is moot.

His trainer had a federal steroid case brought against him and lost.

He admitted to using the "cream" and the "clear" (unknowingly or not).

That being said, I wouldn't wish death on anyone for steroids, not even as a joke. If he had been using creatine or andro (which was a legal over the counter supplement), Bonds wouldn't have had all this scrutiny. I think if he just been contrite when Jason Giambi had been it may have helped.

oh my god! barry bonds used steroids? next thing i know, someone's gonna tell me that lindsey lohan smokes pot and clay aiken is gay.

seriously, i'm just as shocked as everyone who's posted so far.

[quote name='darkmere']oh my god! barry bonds used steroids? next thing i know, someone's gonna tell me that lindsey lohan smokes pot and clay aiken is gay.

seriously, i'm just as shocked as everyone who's posted so far.[/quote]

Lindsay Lohan smokes pot???

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Steroids have always been illegal in society if you don't have a prescription. Whether baseball had rules on it or not is moot.[/quote]

QFT. I find it hysterical that people try to draw a distinction - they do it all the time on Sportscenter. I'm pretty sure baseball didn't outlaw crystal meth so it's OK if players want to smoke it because, you know, they can hit a little white ball with a stick so the rules of socienty shouldn't apply. "But your honor, my client is a baseball player!" "Oh, why didn't you say so sooner? Case dismissed."

:booty:

[quote name='javeryh']QFT. I find it hysterical that people try to draw a distinction - they do it all the time on Sportscenter. I'm pretty sure baseball didn't outlaw crystal meth so it's OK if players want to smoke it because, you know, they can hit a little white ball with a stick so the rules of socienty shouldn't apply. "But your honor, my client is a baseball player!" "Oh, why didn't you say so sooner? Case dismissed."

:booty:[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

Major League Baseball is a business/corporation/etc...whatever you want to call it, they're operating in the United States. Therefore, they will abide by United States laws and regulations. Steroids are illegal in the US. Period. The fact that there were no rules against steroids in baseball simply meant that there were no set-in-stone punishments one would receive if they were caught.

I just got the newest issue of Sports Illustrated in the mail today. It has like an 8-page article on Bonds and 'roids. It's awesome. It goes into great detail and really portrays Bonds as the punk that he is. Definitely a recommended read...

bread's done
Back