So, I got called a "****er lover" for listening to Coltrane

Reality's Fringe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I was dropping off some biographies that I had used for a midterm essay and had my mp3 player set to "random sweetness". I pulled up to a stoplight bumping "Blue Train" when, in the rusty pickup next to me, this skinny, greasy, pock-marked white guy in a dirty t-shirt yelled "Nigger-lover!" as the light turned green. I only had time to get out a "fuck you, redneck!" before he was out of earshot instead of the long rant I wanted to go into. I just thought I'd post because it's never happened to me before, and the last artist I'd expect them to equate racial shortcomings to would be a great jazz artist. I hate white trash.

Where do you live? You always have to be careful with rednecks, because they will not hesitate to get out of their truck to kick some ass.

[quote name='shieryda']Where do you live? You always have to be careful with rednecks, because they will not hesitate to get out of their truck to kick some ass.[/QUOTE]

Ohio. I mean, I live in a pretty shitty blue-collar town where I know the "good-ol' boys" have a problem with all "them colored people", but it's still one of those things you don't expect. As for rednecks, yeah, they like to fight, but if you've seen as many as I have you'd know they're mostly malnourished and weak(especially this guy). They just don't mind spending a night in lock-up.

there are some people who aren't really worth listening to.

one would be the redneck.

two would be coltrane. (just kidding, i love jazz)

[quote name='shieryda']Where do you live? You always have to be careful with rednecks, because they will not hesitate to get out of their truck to kick some ass.[/QUOTE]

a true redneck walks nowhere without his trusty shotgun... so tread carefully.

Reality's Fringe said:
it's still one of those things you don't expect

The anti-defamation league did a study a few years back, in which they listed 8 common racist stereotypes of blacks (i.e., "Blacks are less intelligent," "Blacks are lazier than whites," etc). 75% of respondents selected at least one answer as being "true," and 50% selected two or more.

If you don't expect it, you're a fool and lying to yourself.

Now, if you're comparing "overt racism" to the more subtle modern variant, then perhaps you have a point: while we *think* we're past "nigger lover," we aren't past blanket statments such as "blacks don't want to work."

And, living half a mile south of Cincinnati, I know that good ol' boydom of which you speak.

EDIT: Coltrane is always a good choice, especially to drown out the sounds of Toby Keith mixed with a no-muffler automobile coming from the pick-m-up truck next to you.

[quote name='mykevermin']The anti-defamation league did a study a few years back, in which they listed 8 common racist stereotypes of blacks (i.e., "Blacks are less intelligent," "Blacks are lazier than whites," etc). 75% of respondents selected at least one answer as being "true," and 50% selected two or more.

Now, if you're comparing "overt racism" to the more subtle modern variant, then perhaps you have a point: while we *think* we're past "nigger lover," we aren't past blanket statments such as "blacks don't want to work."

And, living half a mile south of Cincinnati, I know that good ol' boydom of which you speak.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I meant it's something you don't expect to happen to you when you pull up to a stoplight trying to get to the local library(or "Lie-Berry", in the local tongue) in the same way you wouldn't expect a guy to throw a cup of his man-sauce on you while shopping at Kroger. Furthermore, Coltrane is one of those people that you just wouldn't expect to be equated to "evil black music" as, say, some type of gangsta rap. I'm glad they got to me before it went into "Luv 4 Dem Gangstas" by Eazy E.:lol:

Reality's Fringe]Actually said:
Funny thing about stop lights; people seem to be very willing to express their opinion, knowing they can make a quick and relatively anonymous getaway (like flaming on the internet, but with worse milage).

I agree that Coltrane is no Chuck D, but for some people, if it ain't David Allen Coe, well, it's them spook tunes.

[quote name='mykevermin']

I agree that Coltrane is no Chuck D, but for some people, if it ain't David Allen Coe, well, it's them spook tunes.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I have to admit I'm guilty of stereotyping the rednecks as well. I never would have expected them to know that what I was listening to was by a black artist. I guess you really do learn something new everyday.

maybe it was just a random sensless statement. i know ive yelled some shit out windows on the way home from the bar. he couldve just been being a dumb ass.

Running through stops signs and listening to colored people music while screaming "F*ck you" out your windows... boy you aint right.
Seriously though, good taste... that redneck was probably made that his favorite wrestler was defeated last night or something.

What's wrong with stereotyping rednecks? It's a behavior pattern, not anything intrinsic.
[quote name='RedvsBlue']And they say racism is dead...
Who said that?!

[quote name='jmcc']What's wrong with stereotyping rednecks? It's a behavior pattern, not anything intrinsic.
Who said that?![/quote]

Hasn't jeff foxworthy been accused of stereotyping rednecks? Or was it just stereotyping southerners as rednecks?

[quote name='shieryda']Does this happen often?[/QUOTE]

Actually, I believe it did happen recently, but I'll be damned if I remember where. I'm sure the girl it happened to was taken by surprise. As for it being just a random comment (thagoat), I don't believe it was. It was a rusty red pickup that had a pair of those rubber testicles hanging from it, and it had a couple of stickers on it that I couldn't quite make out. Not to mention they were clearly in their fourties. This week has been playing itself out oddly for me. Maybe it's a sign?

Last week, my area had one of those wonderfully clear days where the only logical step is to drive around with your window down kickin' some rad tunes. I had Clutch playing, and some guy shouted some shit at me at a stoplight. Probably something to the effect of "turn that down, you're gonna anger up my wife's diabetes" or something.

I didn't really hear him that well, I was too busy listening to Clutch.:lol:

I'm surprised the guy even knew the music was from a black person. You could have probably been playing Art Pepper and he still would have said the same thing without knowing any better.

Or better yet, bump "The Realest ******" by 50 Cent, Eminem and Biggie while sporting two confederate flags. That'll fuck 'em up even more. :lol:

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Or better yet, bump "The Realest ******" by 50 Cent, Eminem and Biggie while sporting two confederate flags. That'll fuck 'em up even more. :lol:[/QUOTE]

You don't know how often I see this kind of thing. I mean, hey, you wanna be a bigot? Fine. Noone with a valid opinion will listen to you anyways, and you certainly wouldn't be the first. But at least be consistent.

[quote name='Ledhed']You don't know how often I see this kind of thing. I mean, hey, you wanna be a bigot? Fine. Noone with a valid opinion will listen to you anyways, and you certainly wouldn't be the first. But at least be consistent.[/quote]

Jazz is such universal music. I have listened to Jazz from America, the UK, Japan. I almost wish people could be forced to live in another culture at least once in their life to see that people aren't that much different from each other.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Jazz is such universal music. I have listened to Jazz from America, the UK, Japan. I almost wish people could be forced to live in another culture at least once in their life to see that people aren't that much different from each other.[/QUOTE]

Eh, you could save so many people the time and money by showing them the Harmony Korine films "Kids" and "Gummo" back to back.

I never know what to make of shit like this when it happens to me. I want to (and usually do) verbally tear them a new one in return, but I sometimes wonder if the correct answer to "Nigger lover!" isn't a laugh, and "So?"

[quote name='trq']I never know what to make of shit like this when it happens to me. I want to (and usually do) verbally tear them a new one in return, but I sometimes wonder if the correct answer to "Nigger lover!" isn't a laugh, and "So?"[/quote]

There is never a correct answer. People so woefully stupid will never be swayed by intelligence. The only thing that will change their minds is a life altering event in which their life depends or someone they hate. Even then it isn't always going to change someone.

I don't have a problem with people voicing bigotry. Free speech allows people to make total asses of themselves. Acting on it is grounds for me beating someone's ass though, and I'm as calm and well-mannered a person as you will ever meet.

[quote name='mykevermin']Now, if you're comparing "overt racism" to the more subtle modern variant...[/QUOTE]

Is that kinda like how you call them "blacks"? ;)

[quote name='trq']I never know what to make of shit like this when it happens to me. I want to (and usually do) verbally tear them a new one in return, but I sometimes wonder if the correct answer to "Nigger lover!" isn't a laugh, and "So?"[/QUOTE]

you could screw with their heads and yell "I LOVE BUTTSEX!" right back at them. I suppose there's some risk in that though..

[quote name='Apossum']you could screw with their heads and yell "I LOVE BUTTSEX!" right back at them. I suppose there's some risk in that though..[/quote]

:rofl:

I would think so. That's one of those things you better not say unless you mean it, lol.

It was a great day and I was out running, everyone having a good time, and these frat boys in a SUV pull up right behind me and startle everyone by honking on their horn and yelling "$$$$$$" and all the other crap. The only problem was that a cop was right behind them and he pulled their asses over. I would have liked to hear that conversation.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']This topic really makes me want to make a vs. board post, but I don't know if it would be worth the trouble.[/QUOTE]

as long as it isn't another dems vs. repubs topic, go for it. :D

I was listening to some Fela Kuti today and thinking of how fun it would be to drive in the south with his music at full blast!

[quote name='Apossum']as long as it isn't another dems vs. repubs topic, go for it. :D

I was listening to some Fela Kuti today and thinking of how fun it would be to drive in the south with his music at full blast![/quote]

Hell, no. I don't see the need to add to that particular fire. It's one of the main reasons I don't go into the vs. board more often.

I was thinking something more along the lines of the usage of the n-word in society and music. I dunno though, because that will start a whole new fire I'm sure.

i find it hard to believe a redneck is going to know who coltrane is. are you sure he wasn't refering to something else? do you by any chance have an "I *heart* niggers" bumper sticker on your car?

[quote name='mykevermin']The anti-defamation league did a study a few years back, in which they listed 8 common racist stereotypes of blacks (i.e., "Blacks are less intelligent," "Blacks are lazier than whites," etc). 75% of respondents selected at least one answer as being "true," and 50% selected two or more.

And, living half a mile south of Cincinnati, I know that good ol' boydom of which you speak.

EDIT: Coltrane is always a good choice, especially to drown out the sounds of Toby Keith mixed with a no-muffler automobile coming from the pick-m-up truck next to you.[/QUOTE]

I find it strange that you make such a good case for stereotyping, then go and give us a good example by your Cincinnati and edit comments.

I thought this was about Coltrane being gay until I clicked the topic and saw your post and their comments about him being Black which I didn't even know he was.

bread's done
Back