Why is Chinese food so quick to make?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 bmulligan

bmulligan

I am a free man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:37 AM

I've got a question for the chi-food experts here. I order szechuan beef and always ask for spicey but It never comes spicey enough. Is there a special way to order it ?

My wife used to work in an indian restaurant and you specifically had to order food "indian hot" to get it spicey because americans can't normally handle very spicey dishes and have no concept of truly hot food. I was just wondering if there was an industry term for "I'm a dumb american who likes it hot" ?

The Neo-Communist Manifesto: "In your mind freedom is an end in and of itself. In my mind freedom is a means of improving society and giving people a better life. Those ideas result in very different methods of running society. " - alonzomourning23

bmulligan.png<------GOOZEX ?    Goozex is dead.

#32 vietgurl

vietgurl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:47 AM

My mom has a bunch of friends who own Chinese restaurants and like everyone else has said, the food is in small pieces so it's easy to cook. If there is anything that requires a lot of work to be made (sauces, wontons, etc.), these are usually made in advanced and depending on the food, it may be kept in the freezer until needed. Basically, when you order the food, it just needs to be cooked and there is little preparation that is needed.

I hate the rice from Chinese restaurants. They usually buy the cheap rice bags so the rice doesn't have much taste to it. My family buys the expensive rice bags and, if it's during the new harvest season, we're more than willing to shell out some extra money to buy the new harvest rice. The rice is more gooey (even if you don't add extra water) and there is more flavor to it. It depends on the person though, my relatives like the rice dry so they age their rice. Then again, most people can't tell the difference and customers don't go to Chinese restaurants specifically for the rice so they have good reason to buy cheap rice.

I don't really understand people who can eat at places like Panda Express; my family used to drive once a week to a place 45 minutes away that had the best authentic Chinese food and we'd have to wait for around 1-2 hours before we'd get a seat. We would be like the only non-Chinese people there too, lol.
Posted Image

#33 Eviltude

Eviltude

Steam Machine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:44 AM

well that sucks..do they give you a discount or a break for all those screw ups?

A discount on fried rice? It's like 95 cent for a gallon. And yes, I said gallon lol.
Posted Image

#34 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:18 PM

Oh c'mon guys, the clear answer to "Why is Chinese food so quick to make?" is obviously "Because of it's cat-like quickness."
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#35 Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:19 PM

Oh c'mon guys, the clear answer to "Why is Chinese food so quick to make?" is obviously "Because of it's cat-like quickness."

You know what they say about Chinese food ...

It always lands on its feet :)

#36 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:49 PM

now who made up this lame ass joke? what do cats have to do with chinese food?

#37 Graystone

Graystone

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:01 PM

It started back in the day when Chinese immigrants, moved to NY and opened their restaurants. It was said that the food was cat cause some of it was, very little. Also there was lots of stray cats (& other stray animals) around that time.

Since Chinese do eat cats on very rare ocassions and very little themselves. It just turned into what it is today.

#38 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:04 PM

It started back in the day when Chinese immigrants, moved to NY and opened their restaurants. It was said that the food was cat cause some of it was, very little. Also there was lots of stray cats (& other stray animals) around that time.

Since Chinese do eat cats on very rare ocassions and very little themselves. It just turned into what it is today.

O.O
-----

#39 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:11 PM

This can be said for any "ethnic" food we eat. Our Mexican food is really tex-mex, Japanese, Thai, etc food is Americanized to a degree. No matter what you eat, in this country its going to have an American flair. Just like if you would eat at the Japanese Denny's its not going to be true American food. http://www.dennys.co...nu/g_index.html

Agreed. Go into the 'Italian' section of any grocery store and marvel at all the spaghetti and tomato sauce. A far, far cry from the real cooking of the peninsula.

#40 Reality's Fringe

Reality's Fringe

Goes sex for pussy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:21 PM

I've said this before, but if you go to China, remember that the Cantonese will eat just about any animal. Cat, rat, monkey; whatever.
http://artthoubored.ytmnd.com/

http://snapintotehslimjim.ytmnd.com/

I had one last summer. I was asleep for it so I have no recollection of anything being up my ass.

#41 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:37 PM

I've said this before, but if you go to China, remember that the Cantonese will eat just about any animal. Cat, rat, monkey; whatever.

ok now see i don't mind that statement there as third world countries will find ways to figure out what part of the animal to eat just to live. Heck my grandmother, and parents still eat things like liver, tounge and something called "Sopa de mondongo"(sp?) which from what I understand translates to sheep/cow stomach. I cannot tolerate the smell of it therefor I can't even get close to the taste therefor I wont eat it.

Im sure being spoiled by american fast foods and so on will prevent me from eating what the "old folks" ate. Hell my ex use to rave how good pigs feet were and I use to get sick thinking about it. But of course being an eastern european mutt from Pennsivania parents , she could tolerate eating anything. Heck I was surprise when she agreed to try out some of the stuff I mentioned above when she came over for dinner. And no i didn't kiss her that night, who the hell wants to kiss someone who just ate some cow stomach :O

#42 daria19

daria19

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:54 PM

I think that the real question is how can Chinese-American restaurants literally have hundreds of items on their menu while inexpensive American take out places usually stick to a handful of things that are generally shipped to them ready to cook. A basic fast food salad takes all of about 5 minutes to prepare, for example, because the lettuce is prewashed and preshredded, the meat for a chef salad is already diced and can just be pulled out of the fridge and used as is, etc. etc.

Regarding the above posting, I am originally from PA and wouldn't think of touching something like pig's feet. Hunting is a big deal there, so you learn to eat deer meat, but it is not too exotic.

#43 jaykrue

jaykrue

Professor Of Pimpology

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:27 AM

ok now see i don't mind that statement there as third world countries will find ways to figure out what part of the animal to eat just to live. Heck my grandmother, and parents still eat things like liver, tounge and something called "Sopa de mondongo"(sp?) which from what I understand translates to sheep/cow stomach. I cannot tolerate the smell of it therefor I can't even get close to the taste therefor I wont eat it.

Im sure being spoiled by american fast foods and so on will prevent me from eating what the "old folks" ate. Hell my ex use to rave how good pigs feet were and I use to get sick thinking about it. But of course being an eastern european mutt from Pennsivania parents , she could tolerate eating anything. Heck I was surprise when she agreed to try out some of the stuff I mentioned above when she came over for dinner. And no i didn't kiss her that night, who the hell wants to kiss someone who just ate some cow stomach :O

You've gotta get over your standard thinking and go outside your comfort zone. I myself am a product of both 3rd world (philippines) and American upbringing (chicago). As such, I've been able to sample things most average americans would never probably try in their lives such as dinaguan (pig's blood), chitlins (southern style pig intestines), and sushi. If you've read the sushi thread, you'll know I'm a frequent poster there extolling the greatness of sushi but it wasn't always the case. I hated sushi until I got into college where I was more openminded about what is and isn't edible. I've even eaten dog back in the philippines (shredded dog meat tastes surprisingly like pot roast) and cat (meat was gamey but had a salty meaty taste) in vietnam. And what was posted earlier was true - most of the 'chinese' fast food isn't even true chinese food. If you have any friends who are authentically chinese, ask them if you could eat dinner at their house. They will probably serve nothing you see at a fast food joint.
My new fave anime: Lucky Star

Posted Image
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Prostitution is a combination of sex & free enterprise. Which of those are you opposed to? -SensibleErection

I don't date women with more than zero children -jaykrue

#44 KwanzaaTimmy

KwanzaaTimmy

Dead Spiddace!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:01 AM

I think that the real question is how can Chinese-American restaurants literally have hundreds of items on their menu while inexpensive American take out places usually stick to a handful of things that are generally shipped to them ready to cook. A basic fast food salad takes all of about 5 minutes to prepare, for example, because the lettuce is prewashed and preshredded, the meat for a chef salad is already diced and can just be pulled out of the fridge and used as is, etc. etc.

Regarding the above posting, I am originally from PA and wouldn't think of touching something like pig's feet. Hunting is a big deal there, so you learn to eat deer meat, but it is not too exotic.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that a number of the dishes that are served in places like Americanized Chinese places are over-lapping. Sure the sauces and such may not be the same, but the meat/rice/noodles, are used in a lot of them and only require a quick cook in something to make them: Desired Entree.

As for PA,, I suppose you're right, we'll eat almost anything here--- Christ my pap just gave me a couple packages of deer jerky.

Posted Image

NOW: :360: COD 4, Mass Effect
On Deck: Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, SMG

#45 vietgurl

vietgurl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:38 AM

I was born in the US but my parents taught me to eat things that most of my friends consider gross. If I didn't like something, they basically didn't give me anything else to eat besides that for a few days and when you're really hungry, you learn how to eat anything that's supposedly edable, hehe. I can eat the fertilized duck/chicken eggs (yum), pigs feet (damn there's a lot of fat), beef/pork tongue, mam tom (smells 1000 worse than nuoc mam), etc. It all depends on what you were raised on.

When I was in Asia, I couldn't bring myself to try dog. They killed a fat puppy (puppies taste the best) and it was so cute that I couldn't bring myself to eat it. I don't think people who eat things that are outside of my comfort zone are gross or uncivilized; hell, I know some people who consider hot dogs gross.
Posted Image

#46 Reality's Fringe

Reality's Fringe

Goes sex for pussy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:40 AM

hell, I know some people who consider hot dogs gross.

Count me in there. Now that I know of what, and how, Hot dogs are made I will not touch them. Same for bologna.
http://artthoubored.ytmnd.com/

http://snapintotehslimjim.ytmnd.com/

I had one last summer. I was asleep for it so I have no recollection of anything being up my ass.

#47 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:25 AM

You've gotta get over your standard thinking and go outside your comfort zone. I myself am a product of both 3rd world (philippines) and American upbringing (chicago). As such, I've been able to sample things most average americans would never probably try in their lives such as dinaguan (pig's blood), chitlins (southern style pig intestines), and sushi. If you've read the sushi thread, you'll know I'm a frequent poster there extolling the greatness of sushi but it wasn't always the case. I hated sushi until I got into college where I was more openminded about what is and isn't edible. I've even eaten dog back in the philippines (shredded dog meat tastes surprisingly like pot roast) and cat (meat was gamey but had a salty meaty taste) in vietnam. And what was posted earlier was true - most of the 'chinese' fast food isn't even true chinese food. If you have any friends who are authentically chinese, ask them if you could eat dinner at their house. They will probably serve nothing you see at a fast food joint.

I agree with you there, i do believe that I long ago when I was a kid went over to a friends house for dinner and his family was korean and they didn't have chinese food as I would have thought. granted korean/chinese would be two diffrent, but similar in the asian branch.

When my ex and I were together, I did get to try out mushrooms, home made french onion soup, lobster tails for new years eve dinner, clam chower, oster stew. Oster stew had a taste that at first I was like oh yuck, but it wasn't too bad..took some time to get use to just like egg drop soup.

My family being latin american (costa rican/nicraguan) every day its rice and beans and whatever (chicken/meat)......just think rice and beans rice and beans every freaking day :|