A Reason Why Third Party Publishers Are Abandoning the Cube

SoulEdgeVII

CAGiversary!
A lot of third party publishers have given up on the Gamecube. It's a sad fact but it's true. One of the main reasons that they site is lack of profits. Well, MAYBE if they made Gamecube ports less shoddy and MAYBE if they put them out at the same time as the PS2 and XBox versions, they would make more money.

I was just reading reviews on Hitman 2 and it frustrates me that the Gamecube version has the same flaws as the PS2, XBox, and PC versions even though it was released six months later. I really hate that most ports are based off the PS2 version EXACTLY despite the fact that the Gamecube is the more powerful of the two machines. I understand that the PS2 has a much bigger installed user base but could they at least try to make use of the Gamecube's more powerful technology? If developers aren't going to make the graphics better, why not JUST fix the glitches? Is that too much to ask?

Delays are frustrating too. Take Pandora Tomorrow. It was scheduled to release one month after the PS2 version despite being a straight port MINUS the multiplayer version. More or less, it's missing half the game. I refuse to believe that the GBA extras were the reason it needed another month. And to stick it to Gamecube owners even more, Pandora Tomorrow was delayed ANOTHER week. All I can say is those GBA exclusives better be DAMN good.

Most of more successful third party games on the Gamecube made use of the Gamecube's technology and were realesed at the same time. Prince of Persia, the Lord of the Rings games, Beyond Goo...nevermind about that last one. Burnout 2 is an example of a third party game done right. It added more material to the Gamecube version which at least softened the blow of the delayed release.

These obviously aren't the only reasons for the lack of third party games. Obviously, people buy a Nintendo Gamecube to play Nintendo games but if you're going to do a shoddy port, don't do it at all. I could just buy an XBox to play third party games on but I'd rather spend the money on games and support the Cube.

Anyway, in conclusion I hope that Hitman 2 is still a fun game. I found a pretty good deal on walmart.com. It's $14.95 and the total plus shipping is about $19.

Come on dude, all we have lost are Midway, Eidos and Acclaim and one of them is almost bankrupt. GC doesn't have that much of a loss when it comes to 3rd party support.

a lot of support is not given to the Cube but to the box and PS2, even though the cube has a bigger user base world wide than the box

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']a lot of support is not given to the Cube but to the box and PS2, even though the cube has a bigger user base world wide than the box[/quote]

Doesn't matter. Most people buy a Cube for first party titles. Theres exceptions like RE and Soul Calibur. But people bought Soul Calibur cause of Link, who is from Nintendo. Theres a few titles out there that sell well, but they are few and far between.

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~hokora/gcranka.html

Monsta Mack, most if not all Everyone and Teen rated games that are multiplatform usually beat out Xbox in sales, not PS2 but thats a given with its larger user base.

I love my GameCube. I doubt 3rd party will abandon it anytime soon. When they do abandon GameCube, it will be because Nintendo has come out with a better console.

[quote name='dbiersdorf']Come on dude, all we have lost are Midway, Eidos and Acclaim and one of them is almost bankrupt. GC doesn't have that much of a loss when it comes to 3rd party support.[/quote]

Still, a lot of great games don't make it out to the Gamecube. Rockstar games are one example. If there's one system that needs Grand Theft Auto III it's the Gamecube.

[quote name='dbiersdorf']Monsta Mack, most if not all Everyone and Teen rated games that are multiplatform usually beat out Xbox in sales, not PS2 but thats a given with its larger user base.[/quote]

That's because there's hardly any competition on the Cube. That isn't a good thing. Failing 3rd party support is what is killing Nintendo, period. You can read my rather winded analysis on my blog in my sig if you really care. Or, you can continue to exist in your delusional fantasy world.

Rockstar doesn't make anything worth being made. If I could quantum leap, I would prevent them from existing. GTA helping ruin video gaming

Rockstar doesn't make anything worth being made. If I could quantum leap, I would prevent them from existing. GTA helping ruin video gaming

AMEN to that, brother!! Basically, the ruination of video games can be attributed to two things: Rockstar/GTA is one half, and Halo (or rather, the Xbox and it's implied way of thinking) is the other. All you living in "delusional fantasy worlds" in which Nintendo is not still the greatest creative force in this industry, wake up. Nintendo rules all.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']

AMEN to that, brother!! Basically, the ruination of video games can be attributed to two things: Rockstar/GTA is one half, and Halo (or rather, the Xbox and it's implied way of thinking) is the other. All you living in "delusional fantasy worlds" in which Nintendo is not still the greatest creative force in this industry, wake up. Nintendo rules all.[/quote]

if you meant that sarcastically, NOA is the one ruining Nintendo. They make a lot of good original games that never come over here because they suck so much.

cause gamecube sucks and it is designed for the little kids where as these developers are making games for older people and since the gcn is the 3rd selling console the game they make are not reaching a board enough aduience. everyone I know that has a gcn is a little kids I know a lot of hardcore gamers that has one however they only play it when a good title comes out for it.

[quote name='dbiersdorf']Come on dude, all we have lost are Midway, Eidos and Acclaim and one of them is almost bankrupt. GC doesn't have that much of a loss when it comes to 3rd party support.[/quote]

I hope you're kidding, Nintendo has only officially lost those companies, plenty of other companies just aren;t making GCN versions of their games.

Uh, no, I was being quite serious. I'm a hardcore Nintendo fan. And they've got a LOT better about bringing stuff over. The only glaring hole is Giftpia and Mother 1+2. If you want to talk about systems with awesome games that don't come out here, talk about the PS2. Why am I not playing Chain Dive, huh? Just about all of Nintendo's games are scheduled to come out here these days.

[quote name='Graystone']I know a lot of hardcore gamers that has one however they only play it when a good title comes out for it.[/quote]

Uh, so do you know people that instead only play a console when bad games come out for it? Do you have a PS2 to play the crap on it? Jeez. Of course the reason you have any system is to play good games/games you like on it, smart guy. Anyway, you have no idea of what you speak, I'm afraid. GCN is the third best selling system, huh? First off, that's only true in the US. The Cube is anniahlating the Xbox in total worldwide sales, which are what matters. OK. [begin sarcasm] So that means that a mere 19 million or so people have one. How is Nintendo ever going to survive with such a small audience? [/sarcasm] Jeez. And having the best selling video game device of this generation (the GBA, which has signifigantly outsold the PS2) must really be hurting their business, huh? And get off the "they only make kiddie games" crap. Who cares if you don't get gobs of blood and swearing with your fun gameplay? THAT's the attitude that's ruining gaming, the attitude that fun isn't fun without a cover of blood, sex, and offensive language. Not to say that there aren't fun games with those thing. But goodness knows that it's not nescessary, and, through history, there are a lot more great games that everyone can enjoy than great games meant only for older players. Back in the day, people really understood that. But you youngun's today...Well, all I can say is thanks for degrading my pasttime.

the fact that legend of starfi and sequel were not brought over when the GBA market is so full of ports really irks me though

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']AMEN to that, brother!! Basically, the ruination of video games can be attributed to two things: Rockstar/GTA is one half, and Halo (or rather, the Xbox and it's implied way of thinking) is the other. All you living in "delusional fantasy worlds" in which Nintendo is not still the greatest creative force in this industry, wake up. Nintendo rules all.[/quote]

[quote name='Graystone']cause gamecube sucks and it is designed for the little kids where as these developers are making games for older people and since the gcn is the 3rd selling console the game they make are not reaching a board enough aduience. everyone I know that has a gcn is a little kids I know a lot of hardcore gamers that has one however they only play it when a good title comes out for it.[/quote]

Woooooooooooooooo fan boys!

But more than 90% of Nintendo's good games come out here, which is a lot more than the good PS2 games. And Nintendo hasn't said that they won't bring out Starfi eventually. Look at Fire Emblem. Just waiiiitttt for it. And the thing about ports. First, for every port, there are about 15 or 20 original games. And second, what's there to complain about? OH NO! They're taking some of the greatest games of all time and making them portable and available for a new generation!! How horrible!! And if for some reason you really don't want to play these classic, awesome games, then don't. There is no way you can say that them being there is bad for the system. No way at all.

One reason for the delays on some GC ports is due to the minimal system RAM available. Of course nearly all-cross platform titles are developed on the PS2 then ported. However, the Cube has plenty of "architecture hardships" that need to be overcome. True, it is more powerful than the PS2, but that doesn't always factor into the developer's difficulty while porting to the Cube.

I didn't want to turn this into one of those (Insert Game Machine Name Here) Rulzzz and (Insert Another Game Machine Name Here) Suckzzz discussions. I just find it annoying when third party developers expect games to sell well on the Gamecube when it's a sloppily made port of the PS2 version with none of the mistakes corrected and no improvements made whatsoever. In some cases they are even worse than the original. And what's so hard about releasing the Gamecube version on the same day or even same month as the other versions. This isn't N64 cartridge territory anymore.

Don't get me wrong. I love the PS2, also. I do hate the Xbox though. You know, for ruining the industry for true game players and all.

Forget the console wars, a good game is a good game despite the console it's on. And speaking of good games, Nintendo makes the best of them and the most original, and even if GC lost all third party publishers, I'd own it just for the Nintendo 1st party titles. They're that damn good.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Don't get me wrong. I love the PS2, also. I do hate the Xbox though. You know, for ruining the industry for true game players and all.[/quote]

I'm sure Atari felt the same way when Nintendo came around.

Bottom line is (imho) people purchase Nintendo systems for their first party titles. If you look at PS2 and XBox sales third party titles do better, with the exceptions of what I mentioned.

[quote name='Lorik']Forget the console wars, a good game is a good game despite the console it's on. And speaking of good games, Nintendo makes the best of them and the most original, and even if GC lost all third party publishers, I'd own it just for the Nintendo 1st party titles. They're that damn good.[/quote]

Me to.

Oh ho, roland13x, breaking out the big tech talk, huh? As we all know, the ability to develop for a system is entirely based on RAM. Nothing else factors in. Real-time high-factor texture decompression? That doesn't help! At any rate, the cube has more total RAM the the PS2.

CoffeeEdge....

I have actual experience working on developing cross-platform titles. No need to be an ass just cause you might think you know what you think you know. Yes, RAM plays a huge role in porting to the Cube, probably the greatest hurdle for a dev.

What do you know of actually developing cross-platform titles?

Nintendo's problems have nothing to do with third party support. It has to do with how they treated third parties in the past. Don't you think for a minute the heads of Capcom, Konami, Activision, Namco, Square, EA, Ubisoft or any other maker of note have forgotten Nintendo's business practices from when they were the 95% market share king. Nintendo has never changed their outlook on their "partnerships" the marketplace forced them to change that outlook.

If it were up to Nintendo we'd all be playing on proprietary optical media, they'd have a 90% market share and game companies would be screaming bloody murder over them. They deserve to fail. They had the leadership position and squandered it. I feel no pity for this monopoly company gone south.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge'][quote name='Graystone']I know a lot of hardcore gamers that has one however they only play it when a good title comes out for it.[/quote]

Uh, so do you know people that instead only play a console when bad games come out for it? Do you have a PS2 to play the crap on it? Jeez. Of course the reason you have any system is to play good games/games you like on it, smart guy. Anyway, you have no idea of what you speak, I'm afraid. GCN is the third best selling system, huh? First off, that's only true in the US. The Cube is anniahlating the Xbox in total worldwide sales, which are what matters. OK. [begin sarcasm] So that means that a mere 19 million or so people have one. How is Nintendo ever going to survive with such a small audience? [/sarcasm] Jeez. And having the best selling video game device of this generation (the GBA, which has signifigantly outsold the PS2) must really be hurting their business, huh? And get off the "they only make kiddie games" crap. Who cares if you don't get gobs of blood and swearing with your fun gameplay? THAT's the attitude that's ruining gaming, the attitude that fun isn't fun without a cover of blood, sex, and offensive language. Not to say that there aren't fun games with those thing. But goodness knows that it's not nescessary, and, through history, there are a lot more great games that everyone can enjoy than great games meant only for older players. Back in the day, people really understood that. But you youngun's today...Well, all I can say is thanks for degrading my pasttime.[/quote]

it has nothing to do with blood & whores I don't want to play a game called milk and cookies I dont want to play games that are based in disney shows I own a lot of platformers, I am not big into the whole kill everything and win, I like games that make you think and try (old tomb raiders,intelligence cube are my fav ) and 2nd We as CAG have bought and played crappy games cause they were cheap I have bought and played horrible games cause they were cheap worldwide sells may mean something we live in america we only see half or less of the games that come out in japan and others. I did not want to turn this into a flame there fanboy. I happen to like nintendo and own one (gba & GCN). but I have only 11 games (for the gcn) because most games are so kiddish they are insulating to anyones intelligence above the 7th grade and you can and call Nintendo they will tell you that they target audience kids under 13. 80% of my games are not sex profainty filled.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Nintendo's problems have nothing to do with third party support. It has to do with how they treated third parties in the past. Don't you think for a minute the heads of Capcom, Konami, Activision, Namco, Square, EA, Ubisoft or any other maker of note have forgotten Nintendo's business practices from when they were the 95% market share king. Nintendo has never changed their outlook on their "partnerships" the marketplace forced them to change that outlook.

If it were up to Nintendo we'd all be playing on proprietary optical media, they'd have a 90% market share and game companies would be screaming bloody murder over them. They deserve to fail. They had the leadership position and squandered it. I feel no pity for this monopoly company gone south.[/quote]

Interesting take, I've never really looked at it that way before.

If it were up to Nintendo we'd all be playing on proprietary optical media, they'd have a 90% market share and game companies would be screaming bloody murder over them. They deserve to fail.

If it were up to Sony, we'd all be playing on proprietary Memory Sticks, and we wouldn't just be playing but we'd also transfering all of our data and media (photos, movies, home movies, music, etc) between all of our media devices (all of which would be Sony brand) in our house. We'd be living in a centralized Sony electronics world (and it looks like they're actually going to try). And in their perfect world, they'd have 90+ percent of the market, too. What company wouldn't? Duh. What you said makes no sense.

I have only 11 games (for the gcn) because most games are so kiddish they are insulating to anyones intelligence above the 7th grade and you can and call Nintendo they will tell you that they target audience kids under 13.

They're only "insulting to your intelligence" if, for some reason, you find non-violent, even, GASP, cute games make you feel stupid. And I wasn't talking about you specifically, obviously.

worldwide sells may mean something we live in america we only see half or less of the games that come out in japan and others

And Europe and Japan see less than half of the games that are made in the US. That is probably because good games are the ones that it makes sense for a company to invest in translating and releasing in another country. Not all games made in Europe and Japan are good, ya see. :) Likewise, from the perspective of Europe and Japan, not all games made in the US are worth localizing.

AMEN to that, brother!! Basically, the ruination of video games can be attributed to two things: Rockstar/GTA is one half, and Halo (or rather, the Xbox and it's implied way of thinking) is the other. All you living in "delusional fantasy worlds" in which Nintendo is not still the greatest creative force in this industry, wake up. Nintendo rules all.[/quote]

Surely you jest - the "ruining" you're referring to started in 1995 and I'd hope you could guess the four letter word without me having to drop any more hints.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Nintendo's problems have nothing to do with third party support. It has to do with how they treated third parties in the past. Don't you think for a minute the heads of Capcom, Konami, Activision, Namco, Square, EA, Ubisoft or any other maker of note have forgotten Nintendo's business practices from when they were the 95% market share king. Nintendo has never changed their outlook on their "partnerships" the marketplace forced them to change that outlook.

If it were up to Nintendo we'd all be playing on proprietary optical media, they'd have a 90% market share and game companies would be screaming bloody murder over them. They deserve to fail. They had the leadership position and squandered it. I feel no pity for this monopoly company gone south.[/quote]

Nintendo never dominated a market aside from the NES and Game Boy market. CAPCOM and Square did not get big until the SNES and by then competition was pretty good. Also you mention EA which never has had a good relationship with Nintendo(check the Genesis years) and Ubi did not come out with anything of meaning until long after the SNES's heyday. Konami was more an MSX fan than anything,

Square was the only one really fucked by Nintendo with the insane cart prices in Japan.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Uh, no, I was being quite serious. I'm a hardcore Nintendo fan. And they've got a LOT better about bringing stuff over. The only glaring hole is Giftpia and Mother 1+2. .[/quote]

Nintendo Puzzle Collection
Magical Vacation
Tomato Adsventure
Starfi 1, 2 & 3

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Nintendo's problems have nothing to do with third party support. It has to do with how they treated third parties in the past. Don't you think for a minute the heads of Capcom, Konami, Activision, Namco, Square, EA, Ubisoft or any other maker of note have forgotten Nintendo's business practices from when they were the 95% market share king..[/quote]

I like this - especially considering Capcom's vocal support.

Um...what? Anyway, you could say that games started to decline at any time, but it was Halo, the Xbox, and Rockstar that really solidified it in this generation. The game industry is still doing great, creatively and sales-wise, but it's just the mass-market that's becoming problematic. With people talking about "Halo this, Halo that," it's harder for developers to push games like La Pucelle and other quality art titles. It's like movies. There will ALWAYS be those great cult games and original, creative games from Nintendo and smaller companies, but the Halos and GTAs will infect the unassuming mass gaming public's mind. The thing about Nintendo is that there the biggest company still making that kind of game.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Um...what? Anyway, you could say that games started to decline at any time, but it was Halo, the Xbox, and Rockstar that really solidified it in this generation. The game industry is still doing great, creatively and sales-wise, but it's just the mass-market that's becoming problematic. With people talking about "Halo this, Halo that," it's harder for developers to push games like La Pucelle and other quality art titles. It's like movies. There will ALWAYS be those great cult games and original, creative games from Nintendo and smaller companies, but the Halos and GTAs will infect the unassuming mass gaming public's mind. The thing about Nintendo is that there the biggest company still making that kind of game.[/quote]

he meant the release of the PS1, and I agree with him. It killed 2D gaming on consoles here in America.

Nintendo Puzzle Collection is likely coming out over here, denis, and the others are posibilities. They're gathering steam for bring stuff over: Fire Emblem and Custom Robo are examples of this. Give them time! You can't blame them totally. Starfi is a great game, but honestly, how much is it going to sell over here? But that's not necessarily a problem though. Nintendo likes risks. Just wait. Waiiiitttt.

he meant the release of the PS1, and I agree with him. It killed 2D gaming.

But GBA saved it. :cool: And as long as SNK exists, there will always be 2D (so long as KOF:MI doesn't become a trend...). And how is "PS1" a four letter word? I see three.

he meant the release of the PS1, and I agree with him. It killed 2D gaming.

But GBA saved it. :cool: And as long as SNK exists, there will always be 2D (so long as KOF:MI doesn't become a trend...). And how is "PS1" a four letter word? I see three.[/quote]

SONY

that is the biggest line of bullshit ever.

Warioware? DS? Sounds crazy when you first hear it (but makes sense later). One was a risk that was successful, and the other was a risk that, judging be immensely postive feedback by players, developers, and the press, will be a huge success and will destroy it's lame, unoriginal competition (cough, PSP, cough).

Now let's talk about Microsoft's recent risks: A sequal to cult-classic FPS "Halo" is in the works, a real suprise for a game with such a small fanbase. Creative, original new features include: internet multiplayer! That's a new one! And they're also doing an MMORPG set in a medieval fantasy land! Daring! And as for Sony: An futuristic FPS with great graphics? Original!

Anyway, don't deny that Nintendo has tried some risky things. That's what I meant. How about Virtual Boy, huh?

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='CoffeeEdge']. Nintendo likes risks.[/quote]

that is the biggest line of bullshit ever.[/quote]

Nintendo isn't afraid of taking risks. Sure Virtual Boy bombed but it was a risk that they took. The Nintendo DS is a risk too. Even Pikmin is a risk. Nintendo definitely went against the grain on that last one. No guns, no car chases, but just addictive gameplay.

Edit: Sorry for the repetition, didn't see your post up there CoffeeEdge.

bread's done
Back