Pelican GBA Micro 6-in-1 Value Pak ($4.99) Best Buy Online and B&M

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Nephilim

Nephilim

Sumerland holds me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

Did not see this posted anywhere. Found it on clearance today at my Best Buy.
Normal price was $19.99.
SOLD OUT ONLINE
Pelican Value Pak at BB.com

This is the same Value Pak that was included with the Costco Micro deal a while back, and is also the one included with the Sam's Club Micro Bundle.

Pak includes:
  • Neoprene Clip carry case
  • Earbuds
  • Microfiber Cleaning Pad
  • 2 High Impact game cases
  • Screen Guard

Here is what it looks like:
Posted Image

Here is a review of the pak from pocketgoddess:
http://www.pocketgod...an_gba_mic.html
Reviews
Pelican GBA Micro Value Pak
November 17, 2005

The Pelican GPA Micro Value Pak includes six different products and is sold only as a kit.the most valuable item enclosed is the neoprene clip case. It is surprisingly well-made, consisting of a neoprene exterior rubberized grippy sides. The case is held closed with a small piece of Velcro, and on the back you’ll find two belt loops and a belt clip. Underneath the closure flap you’ll find the main compartment that holds your GBA Micro, as well as an accessory pocket for games. The back of the package says that it will hold two GBA games, but I don’t think there’s any way that you could get the case closed if you tried; it does however work perfectly well for one game cartridge.

Next we have two game cases, and These are handy because they hold two cartridges each. I’m not sure if the case colors are standard throughout all of the kits; mine happened to have cobalt and silver cases, the colors of the original Game Boy Advance SP. While the “rocker” clasp may give you fits until you finally figure out how to open it reliably, the case itself is quite nice. They’re very low profile, so they won’t take up too much space in your gear bag; they’re also designated “high impact” and are made of very strong plastic. The interior of each case is made of black rubber, and game cartridges fit perfectly inside. Though they fit well enough that you can turn the case over and they won’t fall out, they don’t fit so tightly that you have to struggle or strain to insert or remove the cartridges.

The ear bud headphones are fairly standard and don’t require much explanation. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the cord is nicer than what I’m used to, and is much more flexible. While they sound just like typical ear buds, they do seem to be a bit easier to store or wrap around things, because the cord is so soft and bendable. The micro fiber cleaning pad is actually attached to a wrist lanyard, so you can connect it to your GBA Micro. It’s a nice addition, because you don’t have to worry about dropping your GBA Micro, and when you put it in the case you can also use it as a carry strap. The cleaning pad has the Pelican logo and is soft on the other side; it does a good job of keeping your screen clean and free of dust. Finally, the included screen protector, while not of the same quality is the Brando screen protectors I know and love, will certainly do the job for a few months.

I normally avoid “starter kits” like the plague, because I generally prefer to choose my own accessories. In this case, however, I found that the Pelican GBA Micro Value Pak has everything I need in one package without tacking on a lot of extras that I don’t find valuable, such as car power adapters. (Since I’m the gamer and the driver, they just aren’t necessary, or safe!) I haven’t yet seen this particular package in stores yet, but you can order it from Gamestop’s online store for $19.99. That isn’t a bad deal considering that you get a nice carrying case, two game cases (each holds two games), headphones, screen protector, and cleaning pad.

Category: Gaming
Published: November 17, 2005 01:01 PM
Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.pocketgod...t/mt-tb.cgi/284

#2 ryanlk

ryanlk

I Gotta Believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:03 PM

yup, picked up one of those starter kits last week... in the store, they have the word Clearance on their yellow shelf tag... also, you can add that the pelican micro gel skin for gb micro is on clearance at BB for $2.99 as well...

#3 Joe Fongul

Joe Fongul

Slave to the Grind..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:33 AM

Thanks for the post; I needed an extra case for my 2nd micro and my woman wants the earbuds.... Score! Thanks OP!
Posted Image

#4 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:15 PM

Thanks! Picked it up for $5! The screen Protector alone is worth the $5, and the GBA hardcases are nice.

#5 ComTruise

ComTruise

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:13 AM

Dunno about that. Pelican's quality is questionable at best. Had a screen guard for my PSP, but after a while the screws came loose and couldn't be fastened anymore and it also screwed with the UMD hatch. Also, the Pelican carrying pack nearly ruined half of my UMDs, as the face plates came loose.

#6 geepgal

geepgal

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:35 PM

Dunno about that. Pelican's quality is questionable at best.

I have had only positive Pelican experiences. Third-party stuff is not OEM, and usually isn't quite as perfect. Go into it with the proper mindeset, take the price savings, and live with it (heh, or be a CAGger and find it on ultra discount!). I try to not have overly high expectations of my accesssories (i.e. that frail plastic clip-on stuff will be sturdy or last forever), and have yet to be disappointed. Not to pick on this poster in particular, I just think people always overgeneralize about quality and give the 3rd-party manufacturers an unjustified hard time. End rant.

Now, does that link above work for anyone else? The BB page won't load for me. Unfortunately did not see these on my (admittedly quick) BB runthrough this weekend, so I'd have to order from website...and it looks like they're gone?
**Wii60**

#7 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:49 PM

Just don't use the screen protector. Everything else in the kit is effective/usable. Not the best ever, but definitely gets the job done.

Plus I like the game cases. I use them for anything but GBA/DS games. For example, they make lovely USB drive cases.

For $5, you really can't go wrong with this set.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#8 Mojimbo

Mojimbo

Ashes to Ashes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:12 PM

What's wrong with the screen protector? That's actually the main thing I want from the kit. I already have the screen cleaner/wrist strap, the pouch looks a little too cheap and a little bulky and the headphones are throwaways. The game cases look pretty nice though.

Posted Image

#9 uberzone

uberzone

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:15 PM

No longer available online.

#10 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:34 PM

What's wrong with the screen protector? That's actually the main thing I want from the kit. I already have the screen cleaner/wrist strap, the pouch looks a little too cheap and a little bulky and the headphones are throwaways. The game cases look pretty nice though.

Someone in some topic put it pretty nicely - the faceplates are already screen protectors, so you are buying a screen protector for your screen protector.

It's not necessarily bad, it's just not going to stay on your system all that long and ultimately it feels kinda worthless.

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#11 Mojimbo

Mojimbo

Ashes to Ashes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:37 PM

That's good, I thought it would be like when Pelican released the PSP screen protectors and a lot of people complained about it having a distinctly film-y effect to it.

Posted Image

#12 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:54 PM

IIRC it's one of those "slide under the edge" protectors and not a sticker/residue one.

Posted Image

#13 Nephilim

Nephilim

Sumerland holds me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:46 AM

Um,. doesn't the screen protector go UNDER the faceplate on the actual screen?

#14 mbartholow

mbartholow

Big Lots Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:30 AM

Thanks to OP.

I picked up the Pelican Micro Gel Skin for $3. It's great to have a strap on the micro (they should have shipped with strap/lanyard). The skin is of a nice quality and reminds me of my ipod gel case.