Photo
- - - - -

MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6316 replies to this topic

#5401 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

Yes, sir, I did indeed create the CAGMMA pool. :)

I'm in a pool called "MMA-GAF." Is that the GAF pool? Tied for 8, if that helps.

Sweet goodness, Ronda is a pitbull. She's prettier than any ring girl and would beat up dudes at 135.

http://www.mmafighti...-weigh-in-video

I am torn between Miesha and Ronda. I'm tempted to pick Ronda simply because she's the better athlete. And female MMA is 5-8 years behind male MMA. So being excellent in one area should be enough to get anyone a win.

I have two rules about MMA. One, never bet on a judoka, as they alway disappoint. Two, never bet on Asian fighters. ...And, Fuck it, I'm breaking both of those rules.

Ronda Rousey over Miesha Tate by R1 SUB
Josh Thomson over KJ Noons by UD
Kazuo Misaki over Paul Daley by R1 SUB
Ronaldo Souza over Bristol Marunde by R1 SUB
Lumumba Sayers over Scott Smith by R1 KO
Sarah Kaufman over Alexis Davis by R3 TKO
Pat Healy over Caros Fodor by R1 SUB
Roger Bowling over Brandon Saling by R1 TKO

EDIT: I changed it back to Tate by R1 TKO. :lol: I just can't do it. Ronda's a better athlete, angrier, has Olympic credentials, but until she beats someone like Tate she's unproven.

#5402 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

Tate KO? Does she know how to strike enough to get KO's? In order for Tate to get a knockout she would need to wrestle and unleash unholy GNP, especially if you're talking 1st round...that's not going to happen.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#5403 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

lol are you trolling us chase?
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#5404 qualityman13

qualityman13

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

anyone have a good site to watch the fights tonight?

#5405 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:39 AM

Tate KO? Does she know how to strike enough to get KO's? In order for Tate to get a knockout she would need to wrestle and unleash unholy GNP, especially if you're talking 1st round...that's not going to happen.

I had a long morning and needed a nap. I have no idea why I didn't go with Rousey by R1 SUB. :cold:

Edit: I remember why I chose Tate. Fighting angry and being overconfident can be a bad decision, like Lauzon-Guillard. I forgot to heavily factor Rousey's Olympic pedigree. She's familiar with pressure and being smart. I can't see the fight going to a decision. Rousey probably nabs the SUB in R2-R3 if not in R1.

lol are you trolling us chase?

Nope! I'm just stupid. Hahaha... :lol:

Edited by Chase, 04 March 2012 - 02:00 AM.

#5406 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

Reading the results, thus far. I need to watch this Ryan Couture fight. Getting a submission on Conor Heun says that Couture has improved.

#5407 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:27 AM

Reading the results, thus far. I need to watch this Ryan Couture fight. Getting a submission on Conor Heun says that Couture has improved.

no kidding, heun is a tough dude

Posted Image

#5408 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

Apparently, the dude on Twitter had it wrong. I read the actual result on Sherdog. Ryan Couture flattening out Conor Heun and getting a TKO stoppage in R3 is really impressive. Dude has solid jitz. Getting a TKO in the late rounds shows solid conditioning and good power.

An example of how much more women's MMA needs to improve: Kaufman used her boxing to outwork Davis, a good kickboxer, while standing. Kaufman showed a big grappling weakness on the ground. I look forward to female MMA growing to a point where the women are as well-rounded as the men.

And this Columbus, Ohio crowd needs to behave itself. They're almost as annoying as the Denver, Colorado crowd.

#5409 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:27 AM

Ugh...more horrible judging tonight. One judge goes 30-27 Misaki. Another, 29-28 Daley. How can you seriously be that far apart? Also, who was the idiot in there talking with Mauro and Frank? First he said Misaki should get the 3rd round because he was the aggressor and was moving forward most of the round...even though his face got completely lit up that round. What the Fuck is with this line of thinking where walking into a punch gets you points? Don't get me wrong, I think Daley fought like shit overall, but he did take that last round. The only judge who got it right was the last one.

Oh, the other thing idiot commentator said was "They've got Misaki cleaned up pretty good. His nose looks fine now." And Frank goes "His nose DOES NOT good, dude..." lol. Strikeforce just always feels like amateur hour to me. I don't know what it is.

EDIT - Wait...it's Miletich??? WTF is he smoking? lol

#5410 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:03 AM

I missed the last two rounds of the Misaki-Daley fight. Didn't get to hear Miletich's comments. But, out of the three, I think Miletich is the best. He's usually incredibly knowledgeable. Shamrock always sounds like he's drunk. Ranallo can be unbearable. He'd be a better wrasslin commentator—which is his roots. If Strikeforce folds, I would like Miletich to be transitioned from one Zuffa company to the other, and put between Goldberg and Rogan. Perhaps the third wheel for Anik and Florian, since Anik and Florian sound too similar. That would be a pretty insightful commentary team. Either one.

Just my two cents, tho. Everyone has their preferences. :)

Glad Misaki won. Daley is a flake.

I'm actually good for the night, picks-wise. So Tate can lose if she wants—though I'd definitely support a win.

#5411 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:12 AM

Woooooo!!! Ronda Rousey! Great fight! Calling it now, Ronda Rousey will be the Randy Couture of women's MMA. She's going to carry it through its evolution.

#5412 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:15 AM

too good.

Posted Image

#5413 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:17 AM

Ronda Rousey is the real deal. What an athlete. And hats off to Miesha Tate for having her elbow popped in the first armbar, escaping, and pressing the fight.

I'm really happy to see judo finally fulfill its potential in MMA. I'll have to forward the video to my dad.

#5414 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:21 AM

Also, I gotta say, Sayers vertical suplex of Scott Smith was fucking ridiculous, lol. I thought he was going to do a Hulk Hogan leg drop after that shit, hahaha.

#5415 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

Incredible. Another win via armbar. Between her domination and heel attitude I think Rousey may have given women's mma a stay of execution. If she keeps it up she may just generate some heat for women's mma as a whole. Even Dana had to like that.

Posted Image

#5416 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:29 AM

Armbars. Armbars everywhere.

#5417 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:29 AM

First time I've watched a woman's MMA fight. Saw there was a lot of hype going on in the thread so decided to check it out. Also the first time really watching a Strikeforce card. I only saw the main event and the 155 lb fight before it. I am not really too hardcore when it comes to MMA as I've said before but I enjoy watching it when I get the chance. I can honestly say though that Strikeforce is not appealing at all to me.

The commentators didn't really seem to know what they were talking about, but then again comparing them to Joe Rogan who is an MMA encyclopedia probably isn't too fair. The caliber of the Lightweight fight seemed extremely low as well. On the other hand, I was extremely impressed with the main event. The technique they showed was very impressive and it was overall a great performance. Not what I expected at all from a woman's fight :P

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#5418 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:31 AM

Somewhere, Hiroshi Hase is proud of Lumumba Sayers' northern lights suplex. Scott Smith looked to be in terrible shape, tho. Just flabby and uninspired. He had a decent career for a pure brawler.

I'm riding that thought train, too, Mak. Rousey just may have given Dana White a reason to keep the division around when Strikeforce folds. It would be fitting if the first female fight in the UFC is Rousey-Cyborg. I still think Cyborg takes it—unless Rousey can significantly improve her striking in a year.

Edit:

I couldn't care less about Frank Shamrock as a commentator. And, while I like Mauro Ranallo as a person, he grates on my nerves as commentator. But, Pat Miletich knows his stuff. Super insightful guy.

And while Joe Rogan is very insightful, I'd give the "MMA encyclopedia" title to Jordan Breen. ;)

#5419 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:48 AM

And while Joe Rogan is very insightful, I'd give the "MMA encyclopedia" title to Jordan Breen. ;)

Haha, don't mind me. That's just my noob side showing. Who knows, maybe I will start to get a bit more educated on the sport. I'm not really a sports type of guy period, but ever since the first season of TUF, MMA caught my interest. Well, I guess I should probably say UFC caught my interest since that is the only organization I ever watch fights in. That Cormier vs Barnett fight looked pretty interesting, so I may watch that as well. :bouncy:

Posted Image

#5420 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:51 AM

And I must say: Don't mind me. I'm just being somewhat of a smart-ass. Hahaha... Pardon. :)

MMA is a good sport to get into, by the way. This thread is a good place to discuss the sport and cultivate knowledge. Sure beats the chaos in just about every MMA community. ;)

#5421 blueweltall

blueweltall

Kill the Batman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:01 AM

Damn that armbar was nasty, I couldn't believe that it wasn't stopped earlier. Watching the replay It look like her arm could have snapped and pierce through her skin. :puke:

#5422 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

I couldn't care less about Frank Shamrock as a commentator. And, while I like Mauro Ranallo as a person, he grates on my nerves as commentator. But, Pat Miletich knows his stuff. Super insightful guy.

Haha, I like Frank (my favorite Frank moment is when he absolutely annihilated Tito at UFC 22). I only wish Ken could have just retired graciously and gone into announcing the same way instead of turning himself into a joke and ruining his legacy. I miss the days when he was actually a badass.

But yeah, Mauro drives me nuts. He has a douchey voice and he looks like a walking penis. Miletich is definitely knowledgable, but his opinions were biased as hell. That's why I was disappointed to find out it was him.

And for the record, I like Joe Rogan. It was funny when people only knew him as "that Fear Factor guy" and were wondering why he was on UFC shows. I think he's a pretty knowledgable dude, and he loves the sport and it shows. Just as Dana White is a fan's owner. Joe Rogan is a fan's commentator.

#5423 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

Anyone else think Julia Stiles and Ronda Rousey look like twins?

Spoiler

Posted Image

#5424 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

Anyone else think Julia Stiles and Ronda Rousey look like twins?

Spoiler

Haha, just don't make a thread specifically for that now! But actually, that's exactly who I think she looks like. Younger and nicer legs though! ;)

#5425 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

Haha, I like Frank (my favorite Frank moment is when he absolutely annihilated Tito at UFC 22). I only wish Ken could have just retired graciously and gone into announcing the same way instead of turning himself into a joke and ruining his legacy. I miss the days when he was actually a badass.

But yeah, Mauro drives me nuts. He has a douchey voice and he looks like a walking penis. Miletich is definitely knowledgable, but his opinions were biased as hell. That's why I was disappointed to find out it was him.

And for the record, I like Joe Rogan. It was funny when people only knew him as "that Fear Factor guy" and were wondering why he was on UFC shows. I think he's a pretty knowledgable dude, and he loves the sport and it shows. Just as Dana White is a fan's owner. Joe Rogan is a fan's commentator.

I respect Frank. Hehehe... His commentary is hit or miss, tho. And he always sounds drunk. Mauro did a sitdown with Jack for Rewind. He has an incredible life story, but man, his commentary can be knife in the ear. I don't remember him being this annoying in Pride. He shouts more in Strikeforce.

I like Rogan. He knows MMA, and offers really good insight to striking. I dislike how he tries to prematurely retire fighters in his post-fight interviews. If I had just lost, the last thing I would want is for some dude to put retirement into my head. The same could be said for when he asks fighters, after a loss, if they should perhaps cut down to a division. During commentary, his bias can be a bit overwhelming. I had been tempted to mute my TV during Florian-Aldo. But yes, Rogan is one of the best. :)

And I can see the comparison between the faces of Ronda Rousey and Julia Stiles. I think Ronda's hotter, but we now know who will play Ronda in the film adaptation of her life story. ;)

Lastly, if you missed the fight, or want to share it with others, here's Ronda Rousey picking up the torch and guiding the way for a new era of women's MMA.

#5426 moojuice

moojuice

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

Kind of a weird question, but what's that song playing after the Rousey/Tate fight?

#5427 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

I don't know, moojuice. Perhaps someone else does. :)

I am quite shocked by the amount of buzz Ronda Rousey has generated. Twitter, Facebook, local friends, colleagues, family: All interested in Ronda Rousey—and they never discuss MMA. I can't help but wonder what this moment could have done for women's MMA if she had the UFC stage. I genuinely hope she goes on a year of armbars, fights Carano in the middle of it, and culminates in a fight with Cyborg as the first women's fight in the UFC.

#5428 fatmanforlife99

fatmanforlife99

I need a weapon.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:12 AM

43 second mark, bad shit!!

There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?

#5429 Ronzilla

Ronzilla

ROBOT-IN-DISGUISE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:24 AM

43 second mark, bad shit!!

:-# I can't unsee that. BRUTAL
Posted Image
=============================================

Trade List: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=263110

#5430 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:59 AM

Oh god DAMN...but that's what can happen when you flail your legs like that.

Remarkable how calm the situation appears without sound.