The Ultimate CAG Spring Break: Now THIS Is a Cheap Ass

PittsburghAfterDark

CAGiversary!
Don't say I never give you ideas for fun things to do.

Spring break at Wal-Mart
lfsr9

MARC HANSEN
REGISTER COLUMNIST

March 27, 2006

Skyler Bartels kept looking over his shoulder. It's a habit he picked up living at the Windsor Heights Wal-Mart for three days.

Really living there. Eating, sleeping, checking out the DVDs, never leaving. The plan was to spend his entire spring break there. Under the radar.

Some kids go to Cancun. Skyler Bartels, a Drake University sophomore from Harvard, Neb., went to the garden and patio department.

The great experiment had been over for a few days, but Bartels was still in great-experiment mode. As we sat at a booth in the Subway sandwich shop toward the front of the store, he glanced at the friendly white-haired Wal-Mart greeters.

Were they onto him? Why were they staring? Bartels was still suffering from greeter phobia.

He was never out to get Wal-Mart, he explained. This wasn't supposed to be an expose.

Bartels didn't burst through the door stewing about low wages, poor working conditions or the way the big chain chews up Mom and Pop.

This was part sociology experiment, part school project. Bartels is a writing major. Maybe he'd put it all down on paper and pick up an independent study credit, or even sell it to somebody someday.

Maybe he'd move on to another Wal-Mart and produce a documentary, like the guy who ate nothing but McDonald's for a month.

Bartels got the idea from a commercial. Was it true what those happy, shiny people were telling him: "Always low prices. Always"?

Could the biggest, most successful discount store in the world really meet his every need? Twenty-four hours a day? That's what the TV spots were telling him.

"That was the goal," he said. "To buy everything I needed at Wal-Mart."

His father told him to go for it and offered to bankroll the project.

On Sunday, his girlfriend dropped him off at the front door and drove away. The game was on.

He didn't tell Wal-Mart what he was doing, and it's probably a good thing.

"We weren't aware of this," said corporate spokeswoman Sharon Weber, "but it's not something we condone. We're a retailer, not a hotel."

A Drake law professor gave Bartels some advice: The store is private property. If they ask you to leave, go quickly and quietly.

Bartels walked into the big box wearing jeans and a white T-shirt. He had his cell phone in case of emergency, his heart medicine, his bank card, two forms of identification, and nothing else.

He spent the first afternoon watching "Chicken Little," the animated Disney film. He watched it all. Deleted scenes, interviews, outtakes. Everything.

"They had it on a continuous loop the whole time I was there," he said. "I'd pass through the department and say, 'Oh, it's about halfway through' or, 'I like this part. I think I'll watch it again.' "

Bartels decided not to buy anything he couldn't carry around the store. He ended up with a jacket (for storage space), a note pad, some pencils, an electronic voice recorder, a three-pack of underwear, a comb, a toothbrush and some toothpaste.

He lived off energy drinks, doughnuts, yogurt and Subway sandwiches.

He figures he slept four hours out of the 41 in captivity. He'd catch a few minutes whenever he could - in a Subway booth or a restroom stall, which isn't recommended, especially with the night stockers bursting in every five minutes.

"I got to the point," he said, "where I was adept at falling asleep on the toilet seat, which sounds kind of weird."

The best place for dozing was lawn and garden, where the lights weren't so bright. Nobody worked there between 2 and 4 a.m. Bartels found a lawn chair, kicked back and wondered how life could be better.

Life would be perfect, he discovered, without the worker who showed up before dawn to stock plants. Bartels hopped up and pretended to be looking for home patio furniture.

That 1 to 4 a.m. shift was the daily low point. Subway was closed. Bartels was often the only Wal-Mart shopper, which made it harder to blend into the cosmetics and sporting goods.

"It's just me and the stockers then," he said, "and every once in a while somebody who needs a Swiffer at 2 in the morning."

He was sitting on the floor reading a magazine at 3 a.m. when a man, shivering from the cold, walked in, bought an atlas and left. "You'd see a lot of people reading," Bartels said. "Cosmopolitan was a huge favorite. But nobody ever checked the magazine section. I never saw anybody stocking books or magazines."

He found it strange the way the same two guys kept showing up in the middle of the night to buy movies.

"They looked like ' Devil's Rejects ' kind of guys. But they ended up buying stuff like 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.' "

Bartels was playing a boxing video game at 1 a.m. when a man appeared out of nowhere, giving him pointers, teaching him how to throw a left jab and a right "steamliner."

Steamliner?

"Yeah, I still don't know what that is."

He met some interesting people during normal hours, too. There was the military recruiter who told him he had what it takes.

I looked at Bartels. Long hair, scruffy college-kid beard, slender build. Pleasant, laid-back demeanor. I had to know. What does it take?

"He said I had good posture and didn't look sad."

Bartels ran into a nun, Sister Mary Sue, who was fun and energetic and looked the opposite of sad.

He saw some strange sights. He followed two birds who swooped into the produce section and swiped some grapes. He named them Laurel and Hardy.

"One sat on the grapes, and the other pulled them off," Bartels said, insisting he wasn't hallucinating.

By Tuesday morning, not even halfway through the great experiment, the store was on to him.

"I noticed the greeters pointing at me," he said. "Somebody got on the intercom and announced a meeting of the department managers. One of the shift managers came up to me and asked, very politely, if I needed anything. I could have told him where everything was."

His debit account was frozen. He was exhausted and paranoid. Game over. His med-student brother picked him up and took him away.

Bartels now regrets the early exit.

"I should have stuck it out, at least to see what the meeting was about. It never got tedious at all, which was surprising. But isn't that how it works in real life? Don't we do pretty much the same thing every day?"

Like real life, you can't get everything at Wal-Mart (new slogan: Not a Hotel). Bartels couldn't get a shower or a bed. He couldn't find one of those miniature bottles of shampoo.

Most of the creature comforts were covered, though. When he wanted to get his hair washed, he made an appointment at the Wal-Mart hair salon.

Real life or not, for a few days this was home. And Bartels figured he might as well treat it like home. When he had nothing better to do, he roamed the aisles, putting away items that were out of place.

"It was a good way to keep busy," he said. "It took a whole lot of time, and if somebody came up and yelled at me, at least I was being productive and beneficial to the store."

Bartels got to feeling so productive and beneficial, he even filled out a job application.

"I wasn't sure how to answer some of the questions," he said. " 'Where can we reach you?' That was a tough one. The electronics department?"

Link: Hurry, Book Your Trip NOW!

I remember some movie a couple years ago that some girl lived in a Walmart for a while, but that was when it closed at night. It would be harder now that they are open all night. It had Natalie Portman in it. The movie was a chick flick, but I don't remember the name.

By the way, how could they kick him out of the store if he bought something every few hours. Technically, he is a paying customer so he could be there. Only time I could see him getting hit would be when he was sleeping. Other than that, they got nothing on him. If they never actually caught him sleeping I can't see how they could actually kick him out. He never did anything wrong except sleep there.
So, why the heck did they freeze his account? I'm guessing they could have gotten him on loitering, but that's a blanket charge that can be applied anywhere to anyone when there is nothing else to put on someone.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I don't think I could stick around walmart for more than a few hours. :lol:[/quote]

Certainly not in my hometown! There are some real winners that shop there.

He could have saved even more money by buying a bottle of shampoo and washing his hair in the men's room sink. Hair salons are expensive!

At a Walmart not far from where I live there is a Mcdonalds in there. That would work good on the food source.

[quote name='Rags']I remember some movie a couple years ago that some girl lived in a Walmart for a while, but that was when it closed at night. It would be harder now that they are open all night. It had Natalie Portman in it. The movie was a chick flick, but I don't remember the name.

By the way, how could they kick him out of the store if he bought something every few hours. Technically, he is a paying customer so he could be there. Only time I could see him getting hit would be when he was sleeping. Other than that, they got nothing on him. If they never actually caught him sleeping I can't see how they could actually kick him out. He never did anything wrong except sleep there.
So, why the heck did they freeze his account? I'm guessing they could have gotten him on loitering, but that's a blanket charge that can be applied anywhere to anyone when there is nothing else to put on someone.[/quote]

I also remember natilie portman saying something like, I've never been to a Wal-mart before... after the movie... lol, must be nice.

Last night on 60 minutes Tiger Woods was on there. In one segment Tiger said he was cheap and still did not buy "big" things since his money came a rolling in and days of success. In the next segment he was talking about his BIG ASS boat that he had and his huge mansion of a house.

[quote name='Rags']I remember some movie a couple years ago that some girl lived in a Walmart for a while, but that was when it closed at night. It would be harder now that they are open all night. It had Natalie Portman in it. The movie was a chick flick, but I don't remember the name.

So, why the heck did they freeze his account? I'm guessing they could have gotten him on loitering, but that's a blanket charge that can be applied anywhere to anyone when there is nothing else to put on someone.[/quote]
private property.

What's the movie called where that Target janitor meets up with that chick that stays overnight at the store, or whatever? And remember, the place ends up getting robbed?

Seeing that movie is always really nostalgic, because it's got the Target design from the early 90's (naturally). I remember really enjoying the movie itself, though.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']What's the movie called where that Target janitor meets up with that chick that stays overnight at the store, or whatever? And remember, the place ends up getting robbed?

Seeing that movie is always really nostalgic, because it's got the Target design from the early 90's (naturally). I remember really enjoying the movie itself, though.[/quote]

Career Opportunities w/Jennifer Connelly.

[quote name='Apossum']Too bad he didn't meet Jennifer Connely.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Yes he did, you missed in in the article look "I saw her on day two. We had a cop of java together" :D

Very interesting project, I worked at a walmart and couldn't stand it for 9 hours a day. My hats off to this man.

lol, i might actually try doing something similar to that experiment, except instead stay in Target for as long as possible living off one Icee...

my previous record was 4 refills, then i spilled the cup, which attracted way too much attention

[quote name='ph33r m3']And this guy isn't a loser how?[/QUOTE]
based on a few of the people he mentioned, he seemed to have gotten some good information. Also, the whole "possibly hallucinating" about the birds thing was interesting. Did he really see animals behaving in a complex method, or was he experiencing one of the most mysterious signs of exhaustion?

sure, he may have wasted some time, but if he brought any entertainment with him, it would have interfered with his findings. The best thing I can think of is to compare this to camping, where one sheds their possessions at home and discovers something about themselves and a new environment by readapting to a new locations. In this case it wasn't the wilderness, however, but rather somewhere no one has thought of living before, a wal-mart.

also, he took an interest in his future career, and got his name known.
and if you're just talking about how he "could have been drinking/partying," there's always next year

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']based on a few of the people he mentioned, he seemed to have gotten some good information. Also, the whole "possibly hallucinating" about the birds thing was interesting. Did he really see animals behaving in a complex method, or was he experiencing one of the most mysterious signs of exhaustion?

sure, he may have wasted some time, but if he brought any entertainment with him, it would have interfered with his findings. The best thing I can think of is to compare this to camping, where one sheds their possessions at home and discovers something about themselves and a new environment by readapting to a new locations. In this case it wasn't the wilderness, however, but rather somewhere no one has thought of living before, a wal-mart.

also, he took an interest in his future career, and got his name known.
and if you're just talking about how he "could have been drinking/partying," there's always next year[/quote]

Well seeing as how the fact that this guy who's in College spent his Spring Break which is basically a huge booty call, he decides to stay in a Wal-Mart. If I knew anybody that did that at my school, they be called a loser.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Well seeing as how the fact that this guy who's in College spent his Spring Break which is basically a huge booty call, he decides to stay in a Wal-Mart. If I knew anybody that did that at my school, they be called a loser.[/QUOTE]

so this is what today's kids come to....instead of looking into their future, they'd rather party have booties. and you are a loser if you use your time wisely instead of wasting it.

[quote name='dude2003']so this is what today's kids come to....instead of looking into their future, they'd rather party have booties. and you are a loser if you use your time wisely instead of wasting it.[/QUOTE]
Eh, I think that's how it's always been... up until the time you mature and enter the work force, your coolness is based on how many women you've slept with or how much you can drink or other such highly accurate things. After that it's based on how much money you make. And that's where roles usually switch ;)

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']based on a few of the people he mentioned, he seemed to have gotten some good information. Also, the whole "possibly hallucinating" about the birds thing was interesting. Did he really see animals behaving in a complex method, or was he experiencing one of the most mysterious signs of exhaustion?
[/quote]

Well, such behaviors are known to occur among some birds. Remember the birds in japan who figured out how to use traffic light signals to figure out when to drop nuts so the cars would crack them open?

It may not have been intentional cooperation, one bird may have been standing and pecking on it, and another may have realized it could pluck off a grape. Then again, it wouldn't be unheard of.

Well seeing as how the fact that this guy who's in College spent his Spring Break which is basically a huge booty call, he decides to stay in a Wal-Mart. If I knew anybody that did that at my school, they be called a loser.

What makes for a better story? I went to cancun, got drunk, danced naked, passed out, and when the booze wore off I was home? How many people can tell the exact same story? Not many people can say they did what this kid did. Much more interesting conversation.

Though the whole loser thing is why I hate small colleges. It's like high school with cliques and everything else. Being productive, or engaging in unique social experiments, doesn't necessarily equate to loser.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Well, such behaviors are known to occur among some birds. Remember the birds in japan who figured out how to use traffic light signals to figure out when to drop nuts so the cars would crack them open?

It may not have been intentional cooperation, one bird may have been standing and pecking on it, and another may have realized it could pluck off a grape. Then again, it wouldn't be unheard of.[/QUOTE]

that actually reminds me of a nature documentary i saw where a crane learned how to fish by getting bread from visitors to his lake, dropping the bread in the water, and eating the fish when it goes after the bread. (Of course the bird could have just spent his time getting drunk and getting some booty instead of learning to catch fish, right ph33r m3?)

The one thing that makes this bird story seem to be a bit more unusual is the fact that both fist cooperated in different roles: one as a picker and the other as a weight. In the nutcracker example, one bird observed another, and the idea spread from there. Also, both birds flew in at the same time, and were the only birds seen in his entire time at wal mart, so it probably wasn't a coincidence

[quote name='dude2003']so this is what today's kids come to....instead of looking into their future, they'd rather party have booties. and you are a loser if you use your time wisely instead of wasting it.[/QUOTE]

that's why its essential for one's sanity to find someone who agrees that these near sighted types are just meat bags that know how to regurgitate dave chapelle jokes and drink beer.

[quote name='dude2003']so this is what today's kids come to....instead of looking into their future, they'd rather party have booties. and you are a loser if you use your time wisely instead of wasting it.[/quote]

So your calling the guy a loser also?

Seriously, would you rather:
A) Getting bitches, no strings attached, and boozed out of your mind

or

B) Staying in a Wal-Mart for schoolwork where the closest amount of action is talking to the 79 year old janitory lady.

If any of you pick B, I lose all hope in human society.

He was describing how the youth view people who don't think life is getting smashed and fucking any random stranger.

I've never enjoyed dating per se, I enjoy the relationship but not the actual process of achieving that end. So no strings attached isn't very appealing. I also don't like heavy drinking, and have never been completely drunk (3 beers was the most). I also am very introverted, when I go to a bar I go to a laid back place with live music, usually accoustic or something similar. I avoid rowdy bars, loud "get smashed" parties etc., essentially what makes spring break fun.

Then again, I hate walmart, and have no interest in a 79 year old janitor lady. But, on the plus side, I would have an experience essentially no one else had and a very interesting story. I've often done things simply because I wanted the memory, even though I knew I probably wouldn't enjoy the actual event. Plus the study may be a good thing to add to my grad school app, then again I have no idea what applying entails just that I'll have to do it eventually, so it may not be of any help there.

So, basically, I'd prefer to do what the kid did.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']He was describing how the youth view people who don't think life is getting smashed and fucking any random stranger.

I've never enjoyed dating per se, I enjoy the relationship but not the actual process of achieving that end. So no strings attached isn't very appealing. I also don't like heavy drinking, and have never been completely drunk (3 beers was the most). I also am very introverted, when I go to a bar I go to a laid back place with live music, usually accoustic or something similar. I avoid rowdy bars, loud "get smashed" parties etc., essentially what makes spring break fun.

Then again, I hate walmart, and have no interest in a 79 year old janitor lady. But, on the plus side, I would have an experience essentially no one else had and a very interesting story. I've often done things simply because I wanted the memory, even though I knew I probably wouldn't enjoy the actual event. Plus the study may be a good thing to add to my grad school app, then again I have no idea what applying entails just that I'll have to do it eventually, so it may not be of any help there.

So, basically, I'd prefer to do what the kid did.[/quote]

An experience no one else had? I don't think anyone would want this, so when you go back to school, everyone talking about that hot latina he banged, you but in with "Well Walmart made me think about an interesting theory"....that kid has to be uncool.

[quote name='ph33r m3']An experience no one else had? I don't think anyone would want this, so when you go back to school, everyone talking about that hot latina he banged, you but in with "Well Walmart made me think about an interesting theory"....that kid has to be uncool.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I think what he did is pretty cool. But then again, I also didn't sleep around or drink during my spring break, so I guess I'm uncool too.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I'm sorry, but I think what he did is pretty cool. But then again, I also didn't sleep around or drink during my spring break, so I guess I'm uncool too.[/QUOTE]
Definitely uncool. Because clearly, fucking around is going to benefit you more in life than enjoying the work required of a career you may pursue.

But what do I know, I never actually went anywhere for spring break, so clearly I too am a loser.

Anyybody who theorizes about who is "cool" or "uncool" is pretty much a shallow idiot to begn with. How dare this guy try to do something a little different and offbeat! Uncool!:roll:

[quote name='neocisco']Anyybody who theorizes about who is "cool" or "uncool" is pretty much a shallow idiot to begn with. How dare this guy try to do something a little different and offbeat! Uncool!:roll:[/QUOTE]
QFT

[quote name='ph33r m3']Last night, after my friends suprise birthday party he wants to go see a movie, we all agree on 'Stay Alive'. It's a 10:30 showing, and past the previews the movie started around a quarter till 11'. Having a curfew of 12:30, I thought meh i'll leave during the middle I guess.[/quote]

ahhhhh...now i get it. ph33r m3 is in highschool and has no idea what he's talking about.

The "cool vs uncool" debate has been carried on since the days of nights and kings. Other topics such as "attractive vs unattractive" and "good vs evil" are some of the same kinds of topics. They are not judgable on a scale on any sort, therefore no one person can say whether or not someone is "uncool" or a "loser".

Furthermore, if I were to call someone a loser it would not be because of a social aspect of what or why someone does things the way they do, but a personality characteristic. Such as a lazy ass who mooches of welfare and lives in a shitty house, does not pay electric and heating bills, has 13 kids that are on free lunch at school, AND best of all has a big screen TV. By the looks of things in this topic, some people here are shooting for some of those things right now, screwing anything that moves and getting sloppy drunk.

[quote name='Apossum']ahhhhh...now i get it. ph33r m3 is in highschool and has no idea what he's talking about.[/quote]

I am in highschool and I still have more sense to know that ass is easy to catch in Mexico, obviously i'm in another galaxy when spending your spring break in a Wal-Mart is better than spending a spring break in a vacation place.

So what I get from this topic is:

Walmart>>>>Bitches.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I am in highschool and I still have more sense to know that ass is easy to catch in Mexico, obviously i'm in another galaxy when spending your spring break in a Wal-Mart is better than spending a spring break in a vacation place.

So what I get from this topic is:

Walmart>>>>Bitches.[/QUOTE]

No, its more like:

fun and interesting "experiment" that gets an article written about you >>>> playing guess the STD

I'm gonna side with the quirky - pussy is easy to obtain at anytime of the year given minimal effort but something unusual like this, ppl will be talkin' about for days. I'd say this is cool. You're a loser if getting pussy is the highlight of your day. Pussy is almost an everyday occurrence for me so this strikes me as interesting because the guy went out of his way to be unique. He gets props in my book. Besides, it's one summer out of his life. It's not like pussy won't be there tomorrow. Pussy is always around.

[quote name='jaykrue']I'm gonna side with the quirky - pussy is easy to obtain at anytime of the year given minimal effort but something unusual like this, ppl will be talkin' about for days. I'd say this is cool. You're a loser if getting pussy is the highlight of your day. Pussy is almost an everyday occurrence for me so this strikes me as interesting because the guy went out of his way to be unique. He gets props in my book. Besides, it's one summer out of his life. It's not like pussy won't be there tomorrow. Pussy is always around.[/QUOTE]

Damn, even jaykrue, the master of getting pussy, agrees.

bread's done
Back