Off-topic for gaming but questions for folks who know berkeley

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 vietgurl

vietgurl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:54 AM

Too bad La Val's is closed. Not to diss Norcal but I've tried all of the Mexican places mentioned and nothing is as good as the San Diego's grade B (from the health department, haha) ghetto Mexican places. Those places rock...although the sanitary conditions aren't great.

Call me weird but I like Extreme Pizza just because I love goat cheese pizzas! I love Zacharies but parking + long lines deter me from going there too often (good because I'd end up having to exercise for 4 hours a day if I wanted to maintain my weight, haha).
Posted Image

#32 io

io

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:05 AM

Too bad La Val's is closed. Not to diss Norcal but I've tried all of the Mexican places mentioned and nothing is as good as the San Diego's grade B (from the health department, haha) ghetto Mexican places. Those places rock...although the sanitary conditions aren't great.

Call me weird but I like Extreme Pizza just because I love goat cheese pizzas! I love Zacharies but parking + long lines deter me from going there too often (good because I'd end up having to exercise for 4 hours a day if I wanted to maintain my weight, haha).

Is LaVal's closed? I used to go over there occasionally since I was an EECS and often on that side of campus.

Well, Cactus is good "lite California style" mexican food - of all the similar places (Baja Fresh, La Salsa, Chipotle, etc) I think it is by far the best, and it is only in Berkeley/Oakland as far as I know. But it is not the authentic stuff, though they do have a wide variety on their menu and lots of things I never tried (I always get Burrito Mejors) - I think it is more authentic than the national chains. There was a place down in West Berkeley that I went to a lot as a kid - don't know if it is still there. Somewhere down by the Humane Society :D. That was more authentic, though not ghetto I suppose. Is that Juan's??

Edit - My mother is visiting and she said that it is Juan's - she said "that's the place where I got $200 stolen from my purse". I totally forgot about that!

#33 uuaww

uuaww

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:39 AM

La Burrita which is off some side street of telegraph is basically voted best burritos in Berkeley ever year. They have a philly cheese steak burrito which is money.
My GameTZ Feedback, over 250!
http://gametz.com/user/The_U.html

#34 Xevious

Xevious

Most Damned CAG Evar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:15 PM

Not to diss Norcal but I've tried all of the Mexican places mentioned and nothing is as good as the San Diego's grade B (from the health department, haha) ghetto Mexican places. Those places rock...although the sanitary conditions aren't great.

You haven't been to Juans yet in west berkeley. Its in an area where there are all these warehouses. But that food will kick your ass. Its that good!

Damn you xevious...

Damn you Xevious... damn you to hell.....

Damn you Xevious be quiet.

So you know EBM? Damn you Xevious...

#35 Franklin WI

Franklin WI

Posted 30 April 2006 - 02:50 AM

La Burrita is voted "Best of Berkeley" by the student paper because it's the closest Mexican place to the dorms. That's it. It is not good. The Telegraph area does have a good hot dog place (Top Dog, right next to La Burrita), and a great Indian place called Naan N Curry. Also recommended, for sandwiches on the west side of campus, Brazil Cafe and Grub N Go.

Blondie's and Fat Slice are both pretty terrible. I definitely recommend both Cheeseboard and Zachary's, though. Also, right before I stopped working in Berkeley a pizza place called Pie in the Sky opened up on Center Street, near the BART station. Good pizza in the Cheeseboard style.

#36 io

io

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:17 AM

The best place ever for calzones was Geno's on Ashby right near College. I used to go there every day in the summer to get either a calzone or a slice when I was in high school. Sadly, last time I was there, I noticed it was gone :cry:. They had this great sourdough bread and stuffed the calzone with lots of 'toppings' and sauce. Everywhere else since then I'm always disappointed as they are heavily soaked in oil and consist of nothing but 3-4 lbs of cheese. Blech...

Oh, and I got my video gaming start of course in Berkeley - the 7-11 on College and Russell used to have Asteroids and Battlezone and I dropped many a quarter there. The laundromat next to it used to have Pacman. I lived right around the corner from there, first on Stuart St, then on Cherry St.

#37 toast0

toast0

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:17 AM

yeah, west coast doesn't make the best pizza but its not like its horrible, we by far have the best mexican and asian food you can get though.

Yeah.... I was in Milwaukee for college, at the asian restaurants they would ask if you wanted gravy on the rice.... and they weren't just saying gravy instead of 'sauce', it was gravy that you might put on mashed potatoes or meat. wtf. The mexican was decent though... especially when I found Qdoba and Chipotle. (sure it's not authentic, but it's cheap and huge which is great for college)

#38 vietgurl

vietgurl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:40 AM

What's the best place for Calzones in Berkeley? ...since io mentioned calzones and I bet that I haven't been eating them at the yummy places, hehe.
Posted Image

#39 io

io

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:46 AM

What's the best place for Calzones in Berkeley? ...since io mentioned calzones and I bet that I haven't been eating them at the yummy places, hehe.

Well, like I said the best place I knew of is gone. I haven't been around enough in the last 10 years to know of what's good now. But if you find a place let me know. When I'm there it is usually for just a few days at a time and I need to carefully strategerize my meals to get the best of so many choices (usually hit Cactus, and sometimes Zachary's).

#40 dracula

dracula

i'll buy that for a dolla

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:37 AM

You haven't been to Juans yet in west berkeley. Its in an area where there are all these warehouses. But that food will kick your ass. Its that good!

yeah get the chipotle at juans. That place has some mean enchlada's.
"If it ain't fifty cents then I dont want it."

http://www.cheapassg...171#post1074171

Posted Image