San Fran CAGs, I need YOUR help!

munch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
138 (100%)
Greetings my west coast friends!

May 13th marks the day that I am getting married to the girl of my dreams. :hot: That night I plan on putting my weiner on her and dousing her with alcohol like that girl from the Dr. Dre video:hot: . The next day, after I clean her up from the ravishing, we will be coming to San Francisco!

I've been trying working on making this honeymoon fun for us, but I need a little bit of information. It seems that every map of San Francisco ever produced is confusing. Since we are going to try and do all of the usual 'touristy' stuff, I would like to know the best way to get around. How is the BART? Can it get us pretty much anywhere we want to go in San Francisco? We're staying at this hotel on 55 Fourth Street. We've been informed that it's close to a subway station, true or false?

Here's some stuff we're planning on doing:

Sunday: Recovering from the ravishing in the morning, flying and joining the mile high club in the afternoon, checking into the hotel and dropping it like it's hot.

Monday: Nothing concrete, yet. What do you recommend?

Tuesday: Waking up early and driving to Napa Valley for a hot air balloon ride! Should be a lot of fun. We're then going to drive around wine country for a few hours and hopefully sip on some vino. Coming back to the city at night.

Wednesday: Not sure yet, maybe castro district or Chinatown. Again, suggestions are welcome.

Thursday: We're going to be touring Alcatraz at night, so we're probably going to be at Pier 39 during the day.

Friday: Just hanging out. I'll probably start getting on her nerves by now.

Saturday: There's some wine tasting going on at Pier 39. We're probably going to go to that.

Sunday: Fly out and talk her into letting me put my weiner on her again on the aeroplane (WHY NOT? IT SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!)

I know we're going to be going on a ferry ride on the 'red and white fleet' sometime that takes us under the Golden Gate Bridge. We also really want to go see the Japanese Tea Garden, which sounds really kick ass.

Here's a link to some of the places she wants to go to (Does it matter where i want to go?).

Hopefully you guys recommend some other sites to see. Also, where are some kick ass places to eat? I want everything from the really nice places to the absolute hole's in the wall where the food is good! All opinions are welcome.

Also, where was Danny Tanner's house? Seriously, I want to see it.

Thanks for your help!

munch

[quote name='munch']
Also, where was Danny Tanner's house? Seriously, I want to see it.
[/QUOTE]
I'm from the south bay, so I can't give you much info on SF... but a Google search gave this info on that Full House home.
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=580747

As for SF, I think buses should get you anywhere you need to go. I think BART is mainly used for commuting (or maybe it just seems that way cuz my coworkers who come from near SF often use BART). A lot of things on your linked list are in Golden Gate Park, which just has a ton of things to do (museums, little boats, gardens). You should definitely devote at least a day to Golden Gate Park somewhere on your schedule.

Congrats, and I hope you enjoy your stay in SF Bay :)

Edited to add: Oh, I'd also suggest going to Ghirardelli Square and getting some sundaes. Also, make sure to have some dim sum if you go to Chinatown.

Thanks for congrats! Yeah, that sucks that the full house doesn't technically exist, but we're definitely going to have to see the 'Painted Ladies' at Alamo square. This site on Alamo Square actually gave me a pretty good map of the city.

We want to go to Ghiradelli Square, but that's on Pier 39, right? We were going to hit that place up with all the other stuff when we go there. My fiancee loves that chocolate, as do I, so that place is a huge priority. And I forgot to put down Chinatown, because we're definitely going there. We had a lot of fun when we went to Chinatown in New York.

Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming. I appreciate them all!

You don't have to worry once you're in San Francisco except finding your way around. There's transportation everywhere and you don't need a car. Bart are convenient but they won't take you everywhere you want to go. You need to do some walking and take muni bus. If there's a specific you need to go, I can help you out with some directions.

I'm mostly worried about getting from one place to the next efficiently. i'm expecting to walk a good bit, but I don't want to make 4 miles treks. Do you recommend any places to go eat?

Ghirardelli Square is in Ghirardelli square, not Pier 39.

The bar on the top of your hotel is a really great spot, it has incredible views.

I prefer sonoma valley to napa, but you can have a lot of fun in either.

There are a lot of great restaurants in SF, but many of the higher end ones would probably already be booked for the time you are going to be here.

[quote name='munch']I'm mostly worried about getting from one place to the next efficiently. i'm expecting to walk a good bit, but I don't want to make 4 miles treks. Do you recommend any places to go eat?[/QUOTE]

You won't have to make any 4 miles treks but you will be walking 4 blocks or so. If you're going by Chinatown, you have to go to this (link below) restaurant. One of the best that I always take my friend to. I'm surprised they have a website. My friend said the food was sooo good, he cleaned his plate. This place tend to be crowded everyday during lunch time and it's always worth the wait. You know the restaurant is good when it's always crowded.

Some recommendations:

Get hot and sour soup (this place has the best)
get anything that's hunan (beef or chicken)
Mongalian Beef

Here's not what to get:
Do not buy any sizzling plates (they just grab a hot plate and put water on it and it just sizzles or make that stupid noise) lol

This place is by a closed Chinese theatre. You won't miss it. Cross streets are Grant (tourist street) and kearny.

http://www.inetours.com/Pages/Dining_Archive/Hunan_Home's.html

Some good (but expensive) restaurants in SF:

Aqua (downtown -- need reservations)
Slanted Door (also downtown -- less expensive, excellent Vietnamese food)
One Market (also downtown)

BART is not really useful for getting around in the City. MUNI and the cable cars are better. Public transportation is generally easy.

You might want to consider venturing over to Jack London Square in Oakland (go across the Bay in BART).

Also, walk up to Coit Tower in SF -- very romantic.

Hey, congratulations. I'm at college down in Irvine right now, but I lived in SF for all my life. Muni is definitely the way to go. You should grab one of those Muni maps that are usually at any underground bus station.
What I think will be best for you, although I've never bought one, is a City Pass, located here: http://www.buysanfranciscotours.com...tickets.html?gclid=CNP-lNf034QCFQG8PgodlhR4jw

They give you MUNI Transportation and take you to all our big tourist spots, like SFMOMA and such.
Oh, if you're looking for a quick bite, I highly recommend Park Chow. It's relatively cheap, and give you huge portions....
OH, and go get some North Beach pizza!
OH, and burritos in the Mission. The Mission has this big stereotype of being full of gangs, but there's a huge part of it that's really nice. It has a bunch of indie shops and nice restaurants.
Ummm, and one last recommendation - definitely check out Japantown. They always got some crazy stuff up in there.
Lemme know if you have any questions :)

Congrats! Like everyone else has said, Muni should take you anywhere you want to go. If needed, you can also jump on the cable car but they cost $5 per person (sometimes if you're lucky, they won't charge you). If it's your first time at Alcatraz, I'd recommend paying a little extra for the audio tour if you're interested in learning about the history of the place. Chinatown won't take long to walk through but it's worth a visit and Japantown is also worth a quick visit. They also have a skyscraper tour in downtown SF, which my friend from San Diego (where there are barely any skyscrapers at all) thought was really cool but it can be kinda lame, hehe. Have fun.

You should add Haight Street to your list of destinations. Its the counter-culture mecca and its got the world biggest record store (Amoeba Records).

For Nightlife and Mexican food, consider the Mission District. There are a lot of trendy spots. You should pick up a free magazine called the Bay Guardian or the SF Weekly which has the listings of all the nightclubs in the town. There are also information about restuarants, theater shows, etc. That is your best resouce. I beleive those newspapers have websites online...

One thing I recommend you do when you go to SF is to NEVER FLASH YOUR MONEY OUT IN PUBLIC!!!! I had many friends who visited me and did this in front of homeless people and street people. Be street smart. Know that there are thieves everywhere and dont advertise that you are a tourist.

Wow, thanks for all the help!

We're definitely going to go to Haight-Ashbury. I really want to take some pictures in front of that windy road street. I'm a goob.

I'll remember the Mission District. Sounds like a neat place.

And thanks for the advice about showing your money. Years of going down to New Orleans has taught me a few things, #1 being don't ever wear beads because they know you're a tourist, and flashing money and acting touristy in places can get you in trouble. My fiancee has a pretty deep accent, you should have heard in new york, everyone she talked to asked, "where are you from", but we'll try and mesh in.

keep the advice/suggestions coming. I've enjoyed it all so far and am writing this stuff down.

thanks!

"That night I plan on putting my weiner on her and dousing her with alcohol like that girl from the Dr. Dre video"

You are my hero! :)

[quote name='munch']Sunday: Recovering from the ravishing in the morning, flying and joining the mile high club in the afternoon, checking into the hotel and dropping it like it's hot.
[/QUOTE]

That may be one of the greatest lines I've ever read on CAG.

Anyway, as for suggestions on what to do... I don't know much about SF, but it never hurts to catch a Giants game (www.sfgiants.com).

I wouldn't recommend visiting the Castro District, unless you're trying to hook up with a dude... If you're into art, the DeYoung museum in Golden Gate Park is great. Also, the Giants may not be in town, but the Oakland A's might be. The A's ballpark is literally across the street from a BART station.

The Cliff House is good but a little pricey.
www.cliffhouse/
Drinks at sunset at the Beach Chalet.
www.beachchalet.com/
The Presidio's nice and if you're a Star Wars fan the Letterman Digital Arts Center houses Lucasfilm.
www.lucasfilm.com/inside/letterman/
When you're in Haight Ashbury, if you can tear yourself away from Amoeba, the Giant Robot store is just down the street. There's also a ton of great food there.
Also check out the Japantown and the Japan Center. Sorry, can't find a good link.

Muni should take you just about anywhere you like to go in SF. Bus transfers are $1.50 per person, and usually last from about 90 minutes to a few hours. If you think you're lost, you can ask people around or look at a city map located in the bus stop stalls. If no bus directly takes you to your next location, ask the bus driver where to get off and transfer. Bart is a bit expensive, and doesn't really go around SF, but through Market Street and the Mission district to around other cities in the Bay Area.

SF isn't too big a city, and the streets are fairly easy to navigate. There are many distinct neighborhoods, and like another poster said, you should definately check out Japantown (shopping center) which has many unique shops. You could also check out the Metreon (expensive shopping center) or the Yerba Buena garden around the SoMa district (South Market Street), although there isn't much to do there but browse. Avoid the tourist traps and rip-off souvenir shops, with a lot located around Fisherman's Wharf.

You can use

http://www.yelp.com/biz/9jFuW2pUoSfPnUPSzMnTFQ

to read reviews about places and restaurants here in SF.

Muni should take you just about anywhere you like to go in SF. Bus transfers are $1.50 per person, and usually last from about 90 minutes to a few hours. If you think you're lost, you can ask people around or look at a city map located in the bus stop stalls. If no bus directly takes you to your next location, ask the bus driver where to get off and transfer. Bart is a bit expensive, and doesn't really go around SF, but through Market Street and the Mission district to around other cities in the Bay Area.

SF isn't too big a city, and the streets are fairly easy to navigate. There are many distinct neighborhoods, and like another poster said, you should definately check out Japantown (shopping center) which has many unique shops. You could also check out the Metreon (expensive shopping center) or the Yerba Buena garden around the SoMa district (South Market Street), although there isn't much to do there but browse. While you're in downtown, you should check out Union Square, and perhaps go shopping with her at Macy's (theres the mens department building, and womens conveniently located right across the street from each other). Avoid the tourist traps and rip-off souvenir shops, with a lot located around Fisherman's Wharf.

You can use

The coach stops of the Cable Cars are at 2 locations in Fisherman's Wharf, and both end up in the famous Powell Street location in the heart of downtown San Francisco by Union Square. The California Street cable car line goes from the Embarcadero to Van Ness Ave.

SF isn't too big a city, and the streets are fairly easy to navigate. There are many distinct neighborhoods, and like another poster said, you should definately check out Japantown (shopping center) which has many unique shops. You could also check out the Metreon (expensive shopping center) or the Yerba Buena garden around the SoMa district (South Market Street), although there isn't much to do there but browse. While you're in downtown, you should check out Union Square, and perhaps go shopping with her at Macy's (theres the mens department building, and womens conveniently located right across the street from each other). Avoid the tourist traps and rip-off souvenir shops, with a lot located around Fisherman's Wharf.

You can use

The coach stops of the Cable Cars are at 2 locations in Fisherman's Wharf, and both end up in the famous Powell Street location in the heart of downtown San Francisco by Union Square. The California Street cable car line goes from the Embarcadero to Van Ness Ave.

You can use

Congraduations! It finally stopped raining here in SF.. but i would bring a jacket; the fog usually burns off after 3pm everyday.
Try some of these places, you won't regret it,
Hotel Rex for dinner:
http://www.jdvhospitality.com/hotels/hotel/13
Each one of these hotels owned by the same corp. has a theme and Hotel Rex has a books/classical feel.
Did you see the movie "The Rock", then you have to go to:
https://www.pier41.com/availability/SALZ
$16.50 well spent.
Try taking the wine train in Napa too, good wines and you would take some cool pictures.
http://www.winetrain.com/wttariff.html

If you are interested in touring Alcatraz, there are several ferrries that will take you there.

I think (I am not sure) you have to book a ferry in advance.

shopping in china town lots of crap, often cheap, and vry entertaing, if she likes the chinese type dresses they go for about 20 bucks sometimes a bit more which is half the price they were out in maryland and my husband loves them (not to wear sicko he thinks they are sexy) but they only look good on certain people. great place to get friends gifts as so much of the stuff is dirt cheap, also there is a place called the metron i forget where it is but if you look up sony metron you shoudl find it, it's close to powell street i beleave rt next toa parking garage, it has a fairly big ps2 shop in it, the walk of game (which is new and sux has mario, zelad, EQ on it and a couple more) but more to the point they have a desert shop just deserts oh my god there cake is soooo goood made from scratch to die for hubby and i always share a piece so kind of romantic i guess (i suggest strawberry shortcake) and therse also an anime type shop in there and a couple of lack luster resturants. and dont forget dim sum in china town, hubby loves it i dont like it but i dont like onions you can prob get lunch for a person for about 3 bucks if you go there :)

Awesome. I really apprecitate you all taking the time to give me some hints on where to go.

That wine train looks awesome, but we're already going to napa vally on tuesday for a hot air balloon ride. The Hotel Rex looks great, and we're definitely going to go there.

I have Alcatraz booked for Thursday night, I think. I'm really looking forwards to that. We're going to get a Citypass so we can ride all the busses and trollies for free. That should work out nice.

Should we devote a day to Golden Gate Park? It looks like there are tons of things to do there.

And keep the retaurant ideas coming. Where are some good places to get breakfast? I'm excited! I GET TO SEE THE TANNER HOUSE!

A day at Golden Gate Park is good. It's also close by to Clement St. which is considered SF's 2nd chinatown. You can catch the 38 Geary or 38L bus, get off at 6th Ave. go to Clement for some breakfast, then take the 44 into Golden Gate Park.

A little warning - muni going into chinatown is EXTREMELY crowded during 7:30-9:30 and going out of chinatown back to downtown, starts around 3-6pm. I mean the buses are literally crammed full of people.

Be careful of pick pockets on crowded buses!

The main buses for tourism are the 38 Geary (tenderloin, japantown, fillmore, golden gate), 1 california (chinatown, nob hill, inner richmond), 30 stockton (goes through chinatown, north beach, then the presidio), 15 third (passes chinatown, northbeach, to fisherman's wharf).

Check out:
http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/neighborhoods/

The information regarding restraunts, at least in the chinatown section, seems to be pretty accurate.

while at chinatown, go get some dim sum, basically all restaurants there have it, and its awesome, i can't recommend one, but ive been to a ton of them and i can't remember any of them sucking.

WOOHOO!!! I GOT BACK TONIGHT!!!

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to post pics later. San Francisco was awesome!

grats bro
sorry I missed this thread earlier, but lots of solid info posted already

I used to live out by the cliff house and was going to recommend making a day of starting at the park at haight, walking / touring all day, dumps you out at the end of the park/beach a good spot for dinner at cliff house, drinks at beach chalet (food at beach chalet is so so and its always a long wait) then walk along the beach w/ the girl

Also note for anyone ever going to SF< the homeless here are super aggressive and not to be trusted. A few years back some homeless dude slit some lady's throat at a bus stop in northbeach in the morning.

Just a few days ago a few homeless dudes beat some dude buying pot and put him in critical condition, right near haight/GG park.

Everyone likes to feel bad for the homeless, but SF attracks hardcore violent drug addict homeless who are only rivaled by the homeless of NYC

Personally I dont think chinatown in SF is good, the NYC one is a billion times better and was mentioned above the Clement st 2nd chinatown is better for walking and has some cool spots like green apple books and Toyboat deserts

bread's done
Back