Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:13 PM

I wish that I could figure out exactly what happened here

#92 SpikeSpiegel

SpikeSpiegel

Fall from grace

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:24 PM

I wish that I could figure out exactly what happened here

Insane trade-in prices at two Eb games in the New Orleans area. Isn't it obvious?

The deal was that you get only $5 less of its used price.

#93 MightySlacker

MightySlacker

RANCH! RANCH! RANCH!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:22 PM

First, I'd like to post that my GF is awesome to have agreed to the trip from Nashville to New Orleans.

Secondly, I would like to apologize to the OP and his friend. It was never my intention to get anyone in trouble, and if I had known that would be the result, I would have stayed home.

To those speculating that EB/GS are going to lose a ton of money on this, you are wrong. They may make slightly less than usual, but there will not be any huge loss. I received credit -- credit which must be spent at an eb/gs. Sure, they paid money for the 360 that I spent the credit on, but they will make all or most of that back selling the games I traded. They may have to lower the prices on some of them, and that is where any minor loss they might have would be generated.

The trade the first night (Saturday) was a mess. I had packed up as much as I could in the trunk of my GF's Volvo. I tried to sort through some of it before packing, but I didn't have time to do much. Most of it was still boxed up from our recent move, anyway. By the time I finished loading the car and we left (about noon), I was dripping sweat. Not a good way to start an 8-hour road trip. We drove down there, went to the wrong store at first (one a little farther down the same road), turned around, and got to the right store (in the mall) at about 8:20 PM. I brought in a couple of boxes full of games, plus a brand new in box Xbox (I had bought it as a spare, but never ended up using it. I would have traded my other one, but it is on loan to a friend), then went back out to the car a few more times for some more boxes. I'd like to apologize to any fellow CAGs for any odor I may have been emitting, I usually don't smell like that (recall the sweating earlier and the 8+ hours in the car).

Once the employees saw how much we had, they closed the doors, and only the people who were already in the store were helped. We only did one transaction (66 games and the Xbox) that night, we didn't want to keep them any later than we already had (I think it was past 10 when we finally got out of there). The employees were very cool about the whole thing, and one of them even used a handtruck to help us get our remaining games back to the car. I ended up trading some items that I hadn't intended to trade, and some that I just wouldn't have traded for the amount that I got, but overall, I was pleased. Many, possibly most, of the games that I traded were still sealed, and all were complete, as I hadn't gotten a chance to play them. The process of trading was that they printed out a list of what I had brought in, marked them in red on the printout, and manually adjust each of them to $5 under the used price -- this was not a glitch, it was a deliberate promotion.

We drove around a while, found a motel that accepted pets (I forgot to mention earlier that we brought our 3 year old white lab), and I made several trips between the car and the second floor, bringing all the boxes into the motel room. Then, I took a much needed shower. I spent the next couple of hours, and a couple hours after I got up in the morning, online, researching the ebgames.com/gamestop.com used prices for each game that I had remaining, and deciding which ones I would try to trade, and which ones I wouldn't. I checked half.com for some of them, if I thought that they should be worth substantially more than the eb/gs price. I ended up with less than half of my games in my "to trade" boxes, and the rest went into the "don't trade" boxes.

The second day we went to the other store (a GS) that was running the promotion. It went much better, partly because of the research I had done, partly because the GS computer system seemed more capable of handling the adjustments, and partly because I arrived at the store when they opened and were empty. They wouldn't let me and my GF trade the few duplicates we had, which kind of sucked since we are two separate people, but I understand the reasoning, and I wasn't going to push it. The GS system fits far fewer trades into a single transaction, though, so we ended up with 5 or 6 transactions at that second store. Also, where we got the credit on an edge card from the EB, for the GS trades, we were given paper slips indicating our trade credit amounts -- we better not lose those. I still ended up making a few poor trades that second day -- I would not have intentionally trade WarioLand 3 for $1, but that's life. Also, I am kicking myself for not bringing my DS to trade. I had planned on my GF and I getting a Lite, but hadn't considered both of us getting Lites.

After all the trades (just after noon), we went down to the French Quarter, got some lunch, walked the dog down by the water, then headed back towards Nashville around 4PM.

--
1. I have totalled it up, and we now have about $1600 trade credit .
2. I calculated that the trip would cost us roughly $300. $100 for gas, $130 for a motel room that accepted pets, and about $70 for food and incidentals. That calculation was correct until we got within 50 miles of home on our return trip, and my GF got a $172 speeding ticket. Ouch :wall:
3. I am very tired.
4. Again, I apologize to the OP and his friend, I did not expect anyone to get in trouble over this.
5. To be perfectly honest, I probably could have gotten more through ebay and half.com, especially after deducting expenses, and considering that I would have gotten actual money that I could have spent anywhere, but this was an experience. We had never been to NO, and we wanted to look around a bit. It just sucks that the trip ended so badly with the speeding ticket.

Wow. I got a free week to kill.

According to Mapquest: Total Est. Time: 16 hours, 34 minutes Total Est. Distance: 1068.54 miles

Hmmm.

Dave
*SUPER DUPER INTERNET CELEBRITY SUPASTAR~!* TM.

#94 zackattack

zackattack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:58 AM

I've been thinking about it, and having a trade in deal of that caliber without advertising it is retarded, imo. I'm still leaving my pic down and not reposting the info I originally posted, but don't feel bad guessed.

#95 hlb96

hlb96

No Comment

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:36 AM

I went back today, except I went to the GS in Laplace instead of the EB at West Esplanade. I got 500 on this trip and 318 on Saturday. I agree with guessed that GS was way more efficient than EB. The guy at GS said they have 2 ways to do the trade-ins and they didn't know why EB did it the way they did. I had the same guy that did the trade ins for guessed. The oddest trade I had was Dance Dance Mario. They do not take the dance pad(I don't know why) and they gave me $40 for the game only. If anyone is interested just call the 2 stores and ask them if they are still giving extra credit on trade ins. They will tell you, they told me Sat. and today. My brother-in-law is going tomorrow if the deal is still on. As far as the store losing on this deal the employee said that this looks good for there store because of the high number of trade ins that they have. I still may trade in my ds to get the ds lite.
Thank you zackattack for the heads up on this deal and thanks to the GS employees that were so cool and nice.

#96 kjauburn

kjauburn

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:21 AM

Wow I have to say I been keeping my eye on this thread and have to say congrats to everyone who has been able to get in on this deal. I am also surprised to hear everyon say how helpful and nice the employees have been. Seen a few people say it was slow, but that can be expected with large trades. Seriously how many times have you read about a gamestop/eb employee being nice and helpful in one of the threads.

As to the deal itself I don't imagine they are really losing money. Think about it Maybe you trade in 20 games they typically sell for $500 used and they give you $400 credit in the deal. The key here is it is credit, so anything you are purchasing with the credit has been marked up. Even if you bought a xbox 360 with a low mark up they still didn't have $400 tied up in inventory. Plus I imagine the person getting a xbox 360 would want a few games and maybe accessories to go with it and spend additional cash at the store.

I imagine its driving up traffic and sales for the stores. Now its true people walking away with $500 in credit probably wasn't what they intended, but they probably had there reasons for the deal. As the employees told someone above it probably shows the store in good favor with the P&L although the numbers only show part of the story.

#97 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:51 AM

Guessed, take any pictures (not of your receipt, but of all those games you traded in)?

#98 happyorangeman

happyorangeman

Hoo-Ray for CAG's!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:06 AM

Amazing deal. I would like to see that credit receipt Guessed.

#99 twiztidjester

twiztidjester

Custom This!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:49 PM

Guessed, take any pictures (not of your receipt, but of all those games you traded in)?

I dont know if he took any pictures but it was impressive.

Posted Image

#100 guessed

guessed

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:28 PM

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. I don't have access to a scanner, and I only have the first receipt on me, but here is what's on it:

I only have the receipt from the first trade with me at work, and no access to a scanner, but here is what I traded at the first store:
Xbox System (New in-box) [50]: 114.99
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow Xbox [1]: 1.99 -- Wouldn't have traded for $1.99 if I had known.
Destroy All Humans PS2 [5]: 12.99 -- I had picked this up from hastings sale, but it had no instructions.
Powerdrome Racing ? [.10]: 2.99
Ford Racing PS2 [1]: 4.99
Dot.Hack: Part 1 PS2[7]: 12.99
Suikoden IV PS2[9]: 12.99
Astro Boy PS2 [2.50]: 4.99
WWE Wrestlemania ? [4]: 9.99
Dead to Rights II Xbox [5]: 12.99
Shadow of the Colossus PS2 [16]: 29.99 -- This was hard to part with, but it'll drop eventually and I'll rebuy.
Vexx Xbox [3]: 7.99
X-Files Resist or Serve PS2 [4]: 7.99
Spartan: Total Warrior [10]: 19.99
Futurama The Game Xbox [9]: 14.99 -- I regret not having played this one, even though it isn't supposed to be very good.
Yager Xbox [1.50]: 3.99
Haunting Ground PS2 [12]: 24.99
Contra Shattered Soldier [6]: 9.99 -- Slight regret
Star Wars Battlefront Xbox [9]: 12.99
Rise of Kasai PS2 [6]: 14.99
Bomberman Generations GC [4]: 7.99
World Championship ?? [1]: 2.99
Backyard Wrestling (2 maybe, not sure) PS2 [5]: 7.99
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Xbox [4]: 7.99
Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex ? [5]: 7.99
Outrun 2 Xbox [2.50]: 4.99
Rocky Legends ? [4]: 7.99
Spy Hunter Xbox [2]: 4.99
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System ? [3]: 4.99
Gungriffon Xbox [4]: 14.99
Star Wars Bounty Hunter ? [8]: 14.99
Major League Baseball ? [1]: 3.99
Summer Heat Beach Volleyball ? [3]: 7.99
SSX 3 PS2 [5]: 7.99
Hot Shots Golf Fore PS2 [5]: 5
Knights Apprentice Xbox [2]: 2.99
I-Ninja Xbox [3]: 7.99
Auto Modelista PS2 [1]: 4.99
Xenosaga Episode ? PS2 [9]: 12.99
E Jay Clubworld PS2 [2]: 2.99
Frequency PS2 [2]: 2 -- probably wouldn't have traded it.
Star Ocean Till the end of Time PS2 [7]: 12.99 -- I probably should have taken the outer materials, in case I replace it later. This one was sealed in the cardboard box.
Chronicles of Riddick Xbox [1]: 4.99 -- Regret, never played.
Sphinx ? [3]: 3.99
NBA Street Vol 2 ? [3]: 4.99
Fur Fighters Viggo's Revenge PS2 [2.50]: 4.99
Musashi Samurai Legend PS2 [4]: 9.99
Beyond Good and Evil ? [3]: 4.99
Aggressive Inline Xbox [.50]: 4.99
Arc the Lad: Twilight Spirits PS2 [1.50]: 1.99
NCAA Football 200? ? [1]: 2.99
Universal Studios Tour GC [3]: 4.99
Swingerz Golf GC [1.50]: 4.99
Bards Tale PS2 [4]: 7.99 -- Slight regret, never played.
Broken Sword Xbox [1] 4.99 -- Regret, never played.
Chase Hollywood Stunt Driver ? [1.50]: 4.99
Crash 'N Burn Xbox [4]: 7.99
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball Xbox [4]: 7.99 -- Probably should have sold it on ebay.
Deathrow Xbox [2]: 2.99 -- Shouldn't have traded it for that little.
Deus Ex Invisible War Xbox [1]: 3.99
Demon Stone Xbox [4]: 4.99
Dino Crisis 3 Xbox [4]: 9.99
Drake Xbox [1]: 2.99
Dragon's Lair 3D Xbox [4]: 9.99 -- Somewhat regret not giving this one a play through.
Driving Emotion Type S PS2 [.75]: 4.99
Smuggler's Run ? [.75]: 4.99
Bad Boys Miami Takedown [5]: 7.99

Most of the "?" mean I don't know which system it was for - either that or I don't know the full name of the game. The credit they normally give is in "[]", and the credit amount that I got instead is after the ":".
I used the credit from that to buy a 360, finally. Last night, I went to an EB in Nashville, and used most of the rest of it on: USED 360 Wireless controller (Mint) 35.99 after EDGE, USED Brain Age Train Your Brain DS 16.19 after EDGE, USED 360 Network Adapter (New in plastic, though) $62.99 after EDGE, NEW 360 Play & Charge Kit 19.99

I was on the fence about the network adapter -- does anyone know if the original Xbox wireless adapter will work with the 360? I haven't had a chance to hook anything up yet. If it does, I may return the one I just bought unopened.

The trades range from poor to good, with very few that I could not have done as well or better selling to individuals, especially considering the condition of the games. Almost all of the regular trade in prices are pathetic. I find it particularly strange that some of the games for which they usually give $.75, they sell for $9.99, yet they pay more for other items which they then sell for less than $9.99.

#101 io

io

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:45 PM

If you could post the other list that would be amazingly helpful. Not that I can get in on this deal, but it is good to know the regular values of EB/GS trade-ins. While most, as you say, suck, there are a few surprises in there.

I'm looking to move some of my GR credit to EB so I can get a Wii preordered more reliably there. When the GR clearance sale its 75% next weekend some of the games will sell for less, new, than they trade for at EB. If I can make a profit in EB credit off my GR credit that is awesome (I was just looking for even trades before). SSX 3 ($5) and Star Wars Bounty Hunter ($8), in particular, are two of the surprises. Any idea if that was the PS2 version of Bounty Hunter?

Plus with an extensive list like this I might be able to grab a few used games at GR to take to EB (as the new clearance games are somewhat limited in selection and I probably won't be able to get too many of those).

#102 twiztidjester

twiztidjester

Custom This!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for trading in Hot Shots Golf Fore i picked it up yesterday.

Posted Image

#103 hlb96

hlb96

No Comment

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:10 AM

This deal was still going on today. I got another $130 in credit for $37 worth of games. The CC $9.99 games coming up have some promising trade ins if the current deal stays. Marc Ecko Getting Up PS2/Xbox $30/$25 in credit. I have received $1000 in credit because of this deal. I preordered 2 DS Lites with my credit. This deal is as good as it gets. Thanks!

#104 kjauburn

kjauburn

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:46 AM

Wow I wonder how long the deal will be going on. Anyone have a idea of when they plan to keep the deal going to? Its almost worth the roadtrip to follow Guessed's lead.

#105 Tequilla Gundam

Tequilla Gundam

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:26 AM

Is it over?

#106 Tequilla Gundam

Tequilla Gundam

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:50 AM

This deal was still going on today. I got another $130 in credit for $37 worth of games. The CC $9.99 games coming up have some promising trade ins if the current deal stays. Marc Ecko Getting Up PS2/Xbox $30/$25 in credit. I have received $1000 in credit because of this deal. I preordered 2 DS Lites with my credit. This deal is as good as it gets. Thanks!

That's not possible.

137 for $37 dollars worth?

#107 Tequilla Gundam

Tequilla Gundam

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:30 AM

Marc Ecko - 9.99 New at CC ($30 trade-in at EB)
DQVIII - 9.99 New at CC ($18 trade-in at EB)
Bulletproof- 9.99 New at CC ($20 trade-in at EB)

Wow. This could end up abusive >_>

#108 twiztidjester

twiztidjester

Custom This!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:52 PM

Maybe just a little *whistles* ;)

Posted Image

#109 guessed

guessed

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:19 PM

That is pretty abusive. I expect this sale to end before Sunday, if it hasn't already ended. If it is still going Sunday, there could be major abuse.

Example:

Buy 3 $54.99 used 360 games. Use a discount card. Cost after b2g1 and 10% off: $99 + tax.

Trade them in. Trade credit received: $150 (+tax, since one doesn't pay tax on purchases made with trade credit). Lather, rinse, repeat. I am not suggesting that anyone do this if the promotion is still going on, just stating that it could happen. No, I'm not making another trip to NO.

#110 jay52886

jay52886

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:28 AM

It is still going on I am personal friends of both managers at that EB. I actually work at the EB on Manhattan. The sale as what we know is going on until our DM emails that store to stop it.

#111 Tequilla Gundam

Tequilla Gundam

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:15 PM

It is still going on I am personal friends of both managers at that EB. I actually work at the EB on Manhattan. The sale as what we know is going on until our DM emails that store to stop it.

Is it going on at your store?

#112 hlb96

hlb96

No Comment

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:56 AM

Still going on. I got $104.99 for my DS at the Laplace GS today.