John Kerry Rides Around Detroit In Rolls Royce; Campaign Blames Bush

PittsburghAfterDark

CAGiversary!
AURORA, Colo. — Sen. John Kerry spoke about the plight of the American worker when he traveled to Detroit earlier this week, a safe message for the blue-collar workers who build cars there.

So it was a little strange that the campaign picked as its press-pass logo for its Motor City tour the gleaming showcase car of a foreign auto company — Rolls-Royce — that makes cars priced far outside the financial reach of any middle-class voter.

"That's an insult to the auto worker, it's an insult to the American worker, it's an insult to mainstream America," said Sam Burwell from Corunna, Mich., a third-generation auto worker for General Motors. "It also shows who he's really in touch with: his European, elitist French friends and not Americans like me. A Rolls-Royce, for cryin' out loud."

CONTINUED....

Asked about the press-pass logo, Kerry spokesman David Wade... criticized President Bush's economic policies.

"I could say that the Rolls-Royce is the perfect symbol of who got the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy, but sometimes objects in the rearview mirror are closer than they appear," he said.

LINK

Boy, you've sure become a one-trick pony lately, PittsburghAfterDark. If you make it to a custom rank be sure you make it "Pro-Republican News Reposter."

That was a bad move by Kerry. But honestly any politician trying to relate to middle class voters in this election is insane. One of the only people who has room to talk is Edwards, because unlike Bush, Cheney, or Kerry he didnt grow up in a life of luxury.

Still you have to prove this is pretty witty even though I'm not fond of the guy:

""I could say that the Rolls-Royce is the perfect symbol of who got the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy, but sometimes objects in the rearview mirror are closer than they appear," he said. "

PittsburghAfterDark, its good that you are hear to level the playing field. I have noticed that videogame posters tend to be bleeding heart liberals. I am not a conservative, but I am voting for Bush because I believe he is the lesser of two evils.

Strayfoxx, how is Bush the lesser of two evils when his presidency will go down as one of the worst we've had?

[quote name='ZarathosNY']Strayfoxx, how is Bush the lesser of two evils when his presidency will go down as one of the worst we've had?[/quote]

Please tell me what Kerry is going to do that Bush hasn't. Kerry will get the French and the Germans to be our friends again!! That's the only thing Kerry has a plan for.

The Democrats are always saying catching Osama is the biggest priority. What would Kerry do to get him? Kerry hasn't really said anything to that regard. Anytime he is asked anything about it he says, "I won't go in unilaterally. I'll get help from our allies the Germans and the French". What makes him think he can get them to do anything of worth? Don't tell me that Kerry has a WONDERFUL plan to get Osama and stabilize Iraq because he doesn't. If he had such a master plan and didn't present it to Congress the public would have his ass for holding out.

I tell you what, regardless of who wins maybe we shouldn't help the world with ANYTHING anymore. Let's see how they do on their own (and wait for the s*** to find our doorstep again).

Look at a few of the liberal entertainers in the world. Madonna (former author of the book SEX, now turned childrens author), Sean Penn (hothead actor), Johnny Depp (Kentuckian who thinks he is European), Dixie Chicks, Michael Moore. All of these people are the types that say accept me for who I am, I don't CARE what other people think about me. Now, if they don't care what others think, then why should we care what other countries think of the US? It is no different than what children are taught in school.

"You can't be worried if people don't like you. You can't please everyone all the time."

That being said, I don't agree with everything Rush or Hannity says, especially Rush. I'll be the first to admit that he blends truth with opinion. At least the democrats have a counterpart in Michael Moore in that regard.

I tell you this much, the Presidency is much like a parental role. Leaving politics out of the discussion, I'd much rather have my parent fight for me to protect me than have one who doesn't even know what the hell they would do.

[quote name='BigNick']Plus, if 9/11 is anyones fault, its clintons. He knew osama was trouble, and didnt do anything about it.[/quote]

Nick, Nick, Nick. Please tell me you are kidding. Do a little research and you'll find that this completely backwards.

PAD, what does it matter if Kerry rides in a RR? When Bush came to Appleton, WI the other day he flew in a bunch of limos. I'll repeat that. Instead of maybe stimulating the local ecomomy, he FLEW in with Air Force One, and bunch of limos for him to drive. So my point it, limos, RR, who cares?

[quote name='ZForce915'][quote name='BigNick']Plus, if 9/11 is anyones fault, its clintons. He knew osama was trouble, and didnt do anything about it.[/quote]

Nick, Nick, Nick. Please tell me you are kidding. Do a little research and you'll find that this completely backwards.

PAD, what does it matter if Kerry rides in a RR? When Bush came to Appleton, WI the other day he flew in a bunch of limos. I'll repeat that. Instead of maybe stimulating the local ecomomy, he FLEW in with Air Force One, and bunch of limos for him to drive. So my point it, limos, RR, who cares?[/quote]
Thats straight out of his book. He knew osama was trouble.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']AURORA, Colo. — Sen. John Kerry spoke about the plight of the American worker when he traveled to Detroit earlier this week, a safe message for the blue-collar workers who build cars there.

So it was a little strange that the campaign picked as its press-pass logo for its Motor City tour the gleaming showcase car of a foreign auto company — Rolls-Royce — that makes cars priced far outside the financial reach of any middle-class voter.

"That's an insult to the auto worker, it's an insult to the American worker, it's an insult to mainstream America," said Sam Burwell from Corunna, Mich., a third-generation auto worker for General Motors. "It also shows who he's really in touch with: his European, elitist French friends and not Americans like me. A Rolls-Royce, for cryin' out loud."

CONTINUED....

Asked about the press-pass logo, Kerry spokesman David Wade... criticized President Bush's economic policies.

"I could say that the Rolls-Royce is the perfect symbol of who got the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy, but sometimes objects in the rearview mirror are closer than they appear," he said.

LINK [/quote]

So what are we to make of this, given what you've said in other threads about improving the quality of discourse? Is this a tidbit meant to provide true thoughtful debate, or a pathetic little dig by GOP spinmeisters? If it's the latter, why are you bringing it up, given that you are dedicated to improving the quality of discourse? And if it's the former, what exactly are we debating? What policy matter hinges on this news brief?

Bush's limos are a bit, um, special. They are basically modified to take a grenade. Although when Bush went down M-59 here in MI the other week, either he was laying down in the back of a limo, or he was actually in one of the 3 Tanked out SUV's that drove by.

[quote name='BigNick'][quote name='ZForce915'][quote name='BigNick']Plus, if 9/11 is anyones fault, its clintons. He knew osama was trouble, and didnt do anything about it.[/quote]

PAD, what does it matter if Kerry rides in a RR? When Bush came to Appleton, WI the other day he flew in a bunch of limos. I'll repeat that. Instead of maybe stimulating the local ecomomy, he FLEW in with Air Force One, and bunch of limos for him to drive. So my point it, limos, RR, who cares?[/quote]
Thats straight out of his book. He knew osama was trouble.[/quote]

That's right. Plus Clinton ADMITTED that Sudan was going to hand him over and Clinton didn't take it. That's out of Clinton's own mouth.

I'd say 9/11 is the fault of a lot of people. Clinton and Bush for failing to act on information, Reagan for showing the world we'll cave to terrorists and for giving Bin Laden the arms and money to start his network, and maybe Carter too, if he was also responsible for giving Bin Laden arms and money.

Nah, politicians are all fundamentally stupid. At least the ones that have a chance of winning anyway. I guess we like our elected officials to be as stupid as possible for whatever reason.

The problem is that politics in this country was originally a part time job. Now it is a full-time job and quite frankly there are too many representatives for each state. With that many people in a postition of power there are going to be abuses and stupidity. The governement needs to be scaled back but I don't really see how this can be accomplished.

[quote name='GuilewasNK'][quote name='BigNick'][quote name='ZForce915'][quote name='BigNick']Plus, if 9/11 is anyones fault, its clintons. He knew osama was trouble, and didnt do anything about it.[/quote]

That's right. Plus Clinton ADMITTED that Sudan was going to hand him over and Clinton didn't take it. That's out of Clinton's own mouth.[/quote]

Sorry, but this is absolutely NOT true. this is a repub spin point. The truth iis that Sudan offered to send Bin Laden to Saudia Arabia and Clinton begged the Saudis to take him and they refused. The 9/11 commission debunked the whole "Sudan offered Bin laden to us" story

This is not the automobile market, but it is still Rolls-Royce.
- More Rolls-Royce engines built in the U.S. than anywhere else in the world

- 6,600 U.S. and 1,500 Canadian employees

- Facilities at 77 locations in 29 states and seven Canadian sites in six provinces

- $1.3 billion annually to U.S. vendors in 46 states and Washington, D.C., generating 15,000 additional U.S. jobs

- $250 million (Canadian) annually to Canadian vendors in five provinces, generating approximately 500 additional Canadian jobs

- Over $1 billion in exports

- $2.8 billion in annual sales

- Total U.S. investment, $1 billion and growing

- US interests hold approximately 35% of Rolls-Royce shares

[quote name='ZForce915'][quote name='BigNick']Plus, if 9/11 is anyones fault, its clintons. He knew osama was trouble, and didnt do anything about it.[/quote]

Dude... seriously.

The president flying in Air Force 1? The president in a motorcade? How can you possibly not understand that EVERY PRESIDENT DOES THAT?

All Kerry had to say was that he was travelling in a Rolls for security purposes for some reason.

Additionally, I'm so freaking sick of the "he did it first!" politics on both sides. If you're guy screws up, own up to it or explain it, don't say "well, so and so screwed up first so my screw up is fine."

Ridiculous.

I had no idea Rolls Royce had so much in the U.S. I thought the overwhelming majority of their plants and facilities were UK based. Great piece of research. Too bad it won't matter in the scope of the gaffe.

Without looking... I'm willing to bet a good majority of that is in attachment to contracts and sub-contracts for the Marine Corps AV-8B though and not automotive. It was Rolls Royce that was able to come up with an engine used the the Harrier that worked.

Yes I do believe most of it is non-automotive. But they still play a larger part of our economy than lead to believe.

Its the same with nissan hoinda and all other imports. when I look under teh hood of my truck, almost everything says made in the USA. That way they can avoid tariffs and sell at a competative price.

[quote name='kev'][quote name='ZForce915'][quote name='BigNick']Plus, if 9/11 is anyones fault, its clintons. He knew osama was trouble, and didnt do anything about it.[/quote]

Dude... seriously.

The president flying in Air Force 1? The president in a motorcade? How can you possibly not understand that EVERY PRESIDENT DOES THAT?

All Kerry had to say was that he was travelling in a Rolls for security purposes for some reason.

Additionally, I'm so freaking sick of the "he did it first!" politics on both sides. If you're guy screws up, own up to it or explain it, don't say "well, so and so screwed up first so my screw up is fine."

Ridiculous.[/quote]

Methinks you missed my point. It's not Air Force One that I'm talking about. It's the fact that he flew in the limos for the motorcade. There is a lot of money invested in flying limos across the US. And for god sakes, is it so hard to use the right form of your/you're when making sentences?

The Secret Service will not let the President ride in limos that they have not designed or had customized. Yes, there is a lot of money spent flying around Presidential limos around in C-130's or C-5's. No ifs ands or buts. However we've been doing it since planes could fly cars for Presidents. It's not a partisan thing nor should it be. We do the same thing when Presidents visited the USSR, PRC and anywhere else they go.

Expensive? Yes. Excessive? Not by my standards. You're still talking about security for our head of state. I wouldn't care if it was Clinton, Carter, Johnson, Kennedy or Truman. Someone, somewhere for whatever reason wants to kill our President at any given point in time. We're talking about something that is greater than a party, the image of the United States of America. If someone could pop Clinton they undermined the outcome of two elections. To me that would be inexcusable. The cost is worth it.

Sorry, but this is absolutely NOT true. this is a repub spin point. The truth iis that Sudan offered to send Bin Laden to Saudia Arabia and Clinton begged the Saudis to take him and they refused. The 9/11 commission debunked the whole "Sudan offered Bin laden to us" story

This isn't as much of a spin point as you would believe....

http://www.infowars.com/saved pages/Prior_Knowledge/Clinton_let_bin_laden.htm

This was written in 2001 by Mansoor Ijaz so it is not clouded by election politics....

As an American Muslim and a political supporter of Clinton, I feel now, as I argued with Clinton and Berger then, that their counter-terrorism policies fueled the rise of Bin Laden from an ordinary man to a Hydra-like monster.

From 1996 to 1998, I opened unofficial channels between Sudan and the Clinton administration. I met with officials in both countries, including Clinton, U.S. National Security Advisor Samuel R. "Sandy" Berger and Sudan's president and intelligence chief. President Omar Hassan Ahmed Bashir, who wanted terrorism sanctions against Sudan lifted, offered the arrest and extradition of Bin Laden and detailed intelligence data about the global networks constructed by Egypt's Islamic Jihad, Iran's Hezbollah and the Palestinian Hamas.

The Sudanese offered to arrest Bin Laden and extradite him to Saudi Arabia or, barring that, to "baby-sit" him--monitoring all his activities and associates.

But Saudi officials didn't want their home-grown terrorist back where he might plot to overthrow them.

In May 1996, the Sudanese capitulated to U.S. pressure and asked Bin Laden to leave, despite their feeling that he could be monitored better in Sudan than elsewhere.

"In July 2000--three months before the deadly attack on the destroyer Cole in Yemen--I brought the White House another plausible offer to deal with Bin Laden, by then known to be involved in the embassy bombings. A senior counter-terrorism official from one of the United States' closest Arab allies--an ally whose name I am not free to divulge--approached me with the proposal after telling me he was fed up with the antics and arrogance of U.S. counter-terrorism officials.

The offer, which would have brought Bin Laden to the Arab country as the first step of an extradition process that would eventually deliver him to the U.S., required only that Clinton make a state visit there to personally request Bin Laden's extradition. But senior Clinton officials sabotaged the offer, letting it get caught up in internal politics within the ruling family--Clintonian diplomacy at its best.

Clinton's failure to grasp the opportunity to unravel increasingly organized extremists, coupled with Berger's assessments of their potential to directly threaten the U.S., represents one of the most serious foreign policy failures in American history."

In this sound byte Clinton says we had no right to hold him because he commited no crime against the US. Although they knew he wanted to...

http://www.newsmax.com/clinton2.mp3

Last time I checked, if plans are made to commit crimes the crime doesn't have to take place for ther to be reason to apprehend.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']I had no idea Rolls Royce had so much in the U.S. I thought the overwhelming majority of their plants and facilities were UK based. Great piece of research. Too bad it won't matter in the scope of the gaffe.

Without looking... I'm willing to bet a good majority of that is in attachment to contracts and sub-contracts for the Marine Corps AV-8B though and not automotive. It was Rolls Royce that was able to come up with an engine used the the Harrier that worked.[/quote]

A friend at work's son used to work for Rolls Royce in Rhode Island. They have a large naval facility there where they design and make engines and props for all kinds of ships (military and civilian). I still don't think it was wise move on Kerry's part to drive through motown in one though...

[quote name='kaw']I still don't think it was wise move on Kerry's part to drive through motown in one though...[/quote]

He didn't. It was the image used on a press pass at an event.

[quote name='ZarathosNY'][quote name='GuilewasNK'][quote name='BigNick'][quote name='ZForce915'][quote name='BigNick']Plus, if 9/11 is anyones fault, its clintons. He knew osama was trouble, and didnt do anything about it.[/quote]

That's right. Plus Clinton ADMITTED that Sudan was going to hand him over and Clinton didn't take it. That's out of Clinton's own mouth.[/quote]

Sorry, but this is absolutely NOT true. this is a repub spin point. The truth iis that Sudan offered to send Bin Laden to Saudia Arabia and Clinton begged the Saudis to take him and they refused. The 9/11 commission debunked the whole "Sudan offered Bin laden to us" story[/quote]

EXACTLY. Good to see that someone is paying attention.

bread's done
Back