General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2496 replies to this topic

#31 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:03 PM

Ah, you guys started a new thread on me. I was wondering why the DS Lite one got so quiet all of a sudden. lol

Cochese: I grew up right near you. Went to Pope. Folks still live there, near the intersection of Johnson's Ferry and Post Oak Tritt. But I had to get out of East Cobb. ;)

I got a BA in English from UGA and the little woman has an industrial engineering degree from Tech. I know I committed a grave, grave sin by marrying a Yellow Jacket, but at least I didn't get hitched to a Volunteer or (gasp) a Gator (no offense, Gator...okay, some).

The funny thing is, she very nearly went to Auburn. :roll:

#32 Ubiiquitous

Ubiiquitous

I Can't Spell Ubiquitous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:33 PM

Ah, you guys started a new thread on me. I was wondering why the DS Lite one got so quiet all of a sudden. lol

Cochese: I grew up right near you. Went to Pope. Folks still live there, near the intersection of Johnson's Ferry and Post Oak Tritt. But I had to get out of East Cobb. ;)

I got a BA in English from UGA and the little woman has an industrial engineering degree from Tech. I know I committed a grave, grave sin by marrying a Yellow Jacket, but at least I didn't get hitched to a Volunteer or (gasp) a Gator (no offense, Gator...okay, some).

The funny thing is, she very nearly went to Auburn. :roll:

Yeah, I'm kind of neutral to GT. Now as for Florida, Auburn and UT..........

Good to see another bulldawg on here. I got a BBA in Management Information Systems way back in '97.......I'm probably old compared to a lot of these whipper snappers on here....;)

#33 Gator

Gator

A WINNER IS YOU

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:56 PM

Yeah... my "name" is Gator for a reason.

I grew up in Gainesville (FL) and I also went to undergrad at UF. I'm in grad school at GaTech now. It seemed like a natural progression to go to another school that hates UGA and FSU.

#34 simple

simple

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:05 PM

I did undergrad and grad school at UF! Though in the 6 years I was there, I went to two football games...

#35 Ubiiquitous

Ubiiquitous

I Can't Spell Ubiquitous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:16 PM

Yeah... my "name" is Gator for a reason.

I grew up in Gainesville (FL) and I also went to undergrad at UF. I'm in grad school at GaTech now. It seemed like a natural progression to go to another school that hates UGA and FSU.

OK. Who here votes for Gator to be removed from this forum??? j/k ;)

Both are great schools. Florida seems to always be a stumbling block for us come football season, but we seem to have GT's number, at least. While I dislike both schools from a fan perspective, there is no denying that both are very well respected schools academically, and rightly so......

#36 keviningeorgia

keviningeorgia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:35 PM

Once a dawg, Always a Dawg ... How sweet it is:-)

I've been so busy haven't been able to check the forum lately so just found this thread!!! I grew up in Athens, was on a music scholarship at UGA, got a degree at UGA and then I worked at UGA for 4 years..

Fry's is GREAT .. I work in Lawrenceville and my Boss and I live for the Friday Fry's ads. We spend about $100 - $200 a month at Fry's mostly SD cards and such.. the boss just says's its a business expense for my Axim or my laptop :-)

Mall of GA EB - Pretty good selection not to Pushy..

John's Creek EB: not a great selcetion, One pushy Manager but look for the Asian girl that is a manager she is cool.

Northpoint EB: very good manager.. He knows My wife is a HUGE Animal Crossing Fan so he hooked me up when I bought her AC-WW.. He made sure it was complete and threw some promo material in .

The Forum EB (Norcross/Duluth: About the same as Mall of GA. Not bad found some good stuff there..

#37 kjauburn

kjauburn

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:31 PM

Auburn Alumni here. Being downtown was just to much of a turn off for me with GT...

#38 organicow

organicow

Old-School Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:58 PM

Auburn Alumni here. Being downtown was just to much of a turn off for me with GT...

Shit, I got my BA from GSU....talk about a downtown campus!! And yeah, that university sucks. Oh well, lesson learned!
www.afighttothedeath.com
www.mediahostage.com

#39 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

Yeah, I'm kind of neutral to GT. Now as for Florida, Auburn and UT..........

Good to see another bulldawg on here. I got a BBA in Management Information Systems way back in '97.......I'm probably old compared to a lot of these whipper snappers on here....;)

I got out in early '98, so we were there around the same time. The thing with UGA/Ga. Tech is it's a friendly rivalry. A lot of us grew up together, went to HS together, and playing against each other is fun. Hell, I root hard for Tech in every game except one. But for Auburn, Tennessee, and ESPECIALLY Florida, we reserve nothing but pure, unadulterated scorn. With Spurrier at USC, that list just got a little longer. :booty:

Gator: How do you sleep at night? ;)

#40 organicow

organicow

Old-School Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:52 PM

OLD FARTS!!

j/k ;)

I'm almost 30, so I can't say shit.
www.afighttothedeath.com
www.mediahostage.com

#41 El Gray

El Gray

Obscurity Sponge

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:57 PM

Soooo... I'm an Aggie.

How'dya like them apples?
Commence joking: NOW.

Gig'em and stuff.

#42 Ubiiquitous

Ubiiquitous

I Can't Spell Ubiquitous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:03 PM

Soooo... I'm an Aggie.

Gig'em and stuff.

Texas A&M? I'm just glad you aren't a Longhorn....;)

#43 El Gray

El Gray

Obscurity Sponge

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:35 PM

Texas A&M? I'm just glad you aren't a Longhorn....;)

Saaaaaaaw Varsity's horns off...

#44 such great heights

such great heights

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:53 PM

Haha. Being in high school leaves me with nothing to contribute to this conversation.

Have any of you guys had consistent luck at any Goodwills in the area? I just picked up Planescape: Torment and Space Quest 4 at the Woodstock/Hwy. 92 Goodwill for$10.70. SQ4 came in a generic jewel case, but the CD is pristine. P:T came in it's original cardboard fold-out case, which was fairly beaten up, but the CDs are perfect. They didn't have anything else too notable. Myst!

#45 El Gray

El Gray

Obscurity Sponge

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:17 PM

There's a Goodwill over here in Roswell (Mansell @ Hwy 9) and the 2 or 3 times I've been in there, I've never seen anything game-related of note. Pretty good selection of books, but not much else.

Oh, and I've hit the Goodwill in Decatur, too. No luck there.

#46 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

Soooo... I'm an Aggie.

Gig'em and stuff.

Uh ooooooooh. Dad's a longhorn. But you're fine by me. ;)

#47 such great heights

such great heights

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:25 AM

There's a Goodwill over here in Roswell (Mansell @ Hwy 9) and the 2 or 3 times I've been in there, I've never seen anything game-related of note. Pretty good selection of books, but not much else.

Oh, and I've hit the Goodwill in Decatur, too. No luck there.

Aww, too bad. There's one in Canton, but you're more likely to find last year's John Deere there than a mint Legend of Zelda cart. :D I've never been.

#48 Pope On A Rope

Pope On A Rope

King of Vatican Hygeine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:39 AM

Used to see a lot of used Sega Saturn and Sega CD games over at the Newnan Goodwill, but none lately.
Now America's Thrift Store in Riverdale, I usually have a lot of luck over there. There's usually a stack of NES and Genesis consoles for $3-5 (not sure why there's a price range). Also found one of those PS2 snowboard controllers that were around $100 for $8 there.

#49 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:29 AM

There's a thrift store called Rowan's on Roswell Rd. near the Big Chicken. It's in the same shopping center as Burlington, the AJC, and the second run movie theater (across from Harry's). They have a nice cache of vintage titles and new stuff for cheap. Several years ago (back in the Game Boy Color or early GBA days) I got shrinkwrapped copies of great original Game Boy games like Mole Mania, Tetris Attack, Kirby's Star Stacker, and Mario's Picross. I also picked up a new SNES Yoshi's Island console bundle after it'd been off the market for years for $45.

They also sell new mainstream DVDs for $15 apiece and a decent selection of new and used CDs for $8. The people who run it are devout Christians, so it's closed on Sundays. But I believe it's open 'til 7:00 every other day of the week.

#50 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:48 AM

There's a thrift store called Rowan's on Roswell Rd. near the Big Chicken. It's in the same shopping center as Burlington, the AJC, and the second run movie theater (across from Harry's). They have a nice cache of vintage titles and new stuff for cheap. Several years ago (back in the Game Boy Color or early GBA days) I got shrinkwrapped copies of great original Game Boy games like Mole Mania, Tetris Attack, Kirby's Star Stacker, and Mario's Picross. I also picked up a new SNES Yoshi's Island console bundle after it'd been off the market for years for $45.

They also sell new mainstream DVDs for $15 apiece and a decent selection of new and used CDs for $8. The people who run it are devout Christians, so it's closed on Sundays. But I believe it's open 'til 7:00 every other day of the week.

Will have to check that out next time.

#51 El Gray

El Gray

Obscurity Sponge

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:53 AM

Ahh, you have revealed the secret. ;) Yes, Rowan's can be a treasure trove. I got a copy of Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones (cart only) for $10 a few months ago, which pleased me greatly.

They've knocked the standard new DVD price down to $12 or $13-- I forget which.

Lots of comics for $1, too.

#52 kjauburn

kjauburn

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:10 AM

Haha. Being in high school leaves me with nothing to contribute to this conversation.

Have any of you guys had consistent luck at any Goodwills in the area? I just picked up Planescape: Torment and Space Quest 4 at the Woodstock/Hwy. 92 Goodwill for$10.70. SQ4 came in a generic jewel case, but the CD is pristine. P:T came in it's original cardboard fold-out case, which was fairly beaten up, but the CDs are perfect. They didn't have anything else too notable. Myst!

I walked into the woodstock goodwill maybe twice and struck out. I was in there about 4 months ago and all they had was 3 sega genisis cartridges overpriced in the front. Probably still sitting there madden 95, lakers nba playoff, and nhl something.

#53 Gator

Gator

A WINNER IS YOU

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:55 PM

I picked up Baseball Stars (NES) at the Value Village in Decatur for $1 a long time ago.

I also saw a Vectrex at the Value Village near the Vinings ... I didn't realize what it was until I got home later that night. Of course, it was gone when I ran back the next day :(

#54 such great heights

such great heights

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:15 PM

I walked into the woodstock goodwill maybe twice and struck out. I was in there about 4 months ago and all they had was 3 sega genisis cartridges overpriced in the front. Probably still sitting there madden 95, lakers nba playoff, and nhl something.

Didn't see those, so either someone got seriously duped or they moved them to the 99c store.

I like that particular Goodwill. I've looked at their electronics before, but thought it was a little too much of a crapshoot. While I was there, I overheard the manager complaning about a TV she'd bought at the Roswell Goodwill and how it had crapped out, that they should "test the TVS before putting them out like I do." Always good to know stuff like that.

#55 Blues

Blues

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:24 AM

Rowan's is still there eh? I haven't been there since the last day of my graduation practice for high school (2001). I think I quit going over there because my friend and I always got harassed by hobos.

#56 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:53 AM

Rowan's is still there eh? I haven't been there since the last day of my graduation practice for high school (2001). I think I quit going over there because my friend and I always got harassed by hobos.

Look, I've told you before...I'm just between jobs, all right?

Now give me a quarter.

#57 organicow

organicow

Old-School Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2006 - 05:54 PM

Just in case anyone is still looking for a 360: the Edgewood Target had 1 premium and 1 core this morning, and the Edgewood BB had at least 2 premiums.

I'm not sure if they're still hard to come by in our area, but that BB seems to have them a lot; in fact, that's where I got mine back in Jan.
www.afighttothedeath.com
www.mediahostage.com

#58 Gator

Gator

A WINNER IS YOU

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:19 PM

Just wanted to throw in another comment about how great the EBGames at Edgewood is.

Last week, I did the B2G1 sale to get games for my new PS2. I wanted to pick up Burnout Revenge, but they didn't have a used copy in stock. Instead, I picked up R&C: Up Your Arsenal. I played a little of R&C, and while it was a good game, I really wanted Burnout instead. Yesterday (on the last day of the return window) I called them and asked about Burnout. Sure enough, they had a used copy in. I run over to do the exchange, but when I get there, they can only find the disc of the used game. I start to get a little dissapointed, but then one of the clerks helps me look for the used box on the shelf. Finally, she turns to me and says, "you know, the new copy is only $2 more, you could just get that and pay the difference." I actually try and explain that I was doubtful that would work, since I bought R&C with the B2G1 used game free deal. She looks at me funny and then proceeds to ring me up with the new copy. Awesome!

That is definitely now my ebgames of choice. If you live anywhere near midtown Atlanta, you should definitely check it out.

edited: to say that the new copy was only 2$ more

#59 El Gray

El Gray

Obscurity Sponge

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:22 PM

Those girls are supernice, indeed.

They had cool Mario / Peach promo tshirts on yesterday. :)

#60 organicow

organicow

Old-School Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:24 PM

I'll be grabbing mine at the Northlake EB on sunday...the manager out there is always super super nice to me. One time I went there looking for a used copy of a game, which they didn't have. He knew I was a regular customer, so he cracked open a brand new copy of the game and sold it to me as used. I couldn't believe it! I love it when employees realize and appreciate their regular customers; it was the exact opposite of the way I get treated at the North Dekalb Mall EB....those guys will never again get my money!

As I siad in the other thread, I had almost the same experience at the NL EB - which in addition to the Edgewood store are the only ones who get my money around here! I'm really glad that the Edgewood store is so good - it would be real easy for that place to go to shit considering the soccer mom/gutter punk/ghetto trash mix of clientele. Here's hoping it stays good for us!
www.afighttothedeath.com
www.mediahostage.com