Windows XP question

Kaijufan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Im building my first computer, and Im going to use XP Home as my OS. When looking at the product page at amazon in one of the pictures of the upgrade version it says that Windows will check my hard drive and/or CD to confirm my eligibility for the upgrade.
I wont have any OS installed on my PC when I build it, but my dad has a copy of Windows 98 from his small buisness that he installed and registered on the computer where he works. Could I just use that CD without installing it, or do I have to buy a full version of Windows?

Yes all you have to do is put the xp upgrade disc in and it will ask you for the win 98 or any win cd and just pop it in and after it reads the disc it will shoot it out and ask you to put back in the xp disc

[quote name='BigNick']If you have the original 98cd you will be fine.[/quote]

yes make sure it is the actual cd not a restore disc that comes with a new computer it will not work

[quote name='Graystone'][quote name='BigNick']If you have the original 98cd you will be fine.[/quote]

yes make sure it is the actual cd not a restore disc that comes with a new computer it will not work[/quote]
Ok, ill be sure to do that. The restore CD does say something like "restore CD" right?

[quote name='guyver2077']dam i did not know people actually pay money for windows lol....[/quote]
I was raised as a moral person, though I thought about getting it for free. I know atleast one person that could give me a free copy.

if you go to college, theres a very good chance you can get XP (full) for something around $30

just a thought

EDIT: Hmm, i didnt explain that very well...
if you go to a university, theres a good chance you could get it at that university for cheap.

[quote name='greatwhitedope']if you go to college, theres a very good chance you can get XP (full) for something around $30

just a thought

EDIT: Hmm, i didnt explain that very well...
if you go to a university, theres a good chance you could get it at that university for cheap.[/quote]
I have one more year of high school before I go to college.

i got XP from my old place of employment..they play for licences and i brought a copy home...the shiny disk is so perrdy!

Just buy an OEM copy from your local computer store. you can get a full version of home for about what Amazon wants for a used upgrade.

[quote name='jdevlin7756']Just buy an OEM copy from your local computer store. you can get a full version of home for about what Amazon wants for a used upgrade.[/quote]
They have the OEM version of it at newegg for $90, but right now the upgrade edition has a rebate which takes it down to $80, and I can buy my monitor with it and get the $50 voucher from Amazon.

HardcoreCooling.com has Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OEM for $87 - $7 code HARDCORECOOLINGROCKS = $80 + shipping. Enter code in order comments and they will manually adjust the price.

get XP pro, not home... XP home = the OS of a hacker's bitch. Simple enough, disabled access to "certain" folders + Virus = unadvanced computer user with a lot of headaches.

At least with XP pro you can get to the folders xp home restricts you from, and you can delete any virus that may get into them.

I've got at least 10 stories of this problem... So trust me, spend the extra $50 and get XP pro, either that or your gonna spend an extra $150-$200 getting it later

here are a few sites you can get it cheap from, by cheap I mean cheaper than amazon

www.newegg.com
www.tigerdirect.com
www.tcwo.com

/end my 2 cents.

[quote name='DMFunk']get XP pro, not home... XP home = the OS of a hacker's bitch. Simple enough, disabled access to "certain" folders + Virus = unadvanced computer user with a lot of headaches.

At least with XP pro you can get to the folders xp home restricts you from, and you can delete any virus that may get into them.

I've got at least 10 stories of this problem... So trust me, spend the extra $50 and get XP pro, either that or your gonna spend an extra $150-$200 getting it later

here are a few sites you can get it cheap from, by cheap I mean cheaper than amazon

www.newegg.com
www.tigerdirect.com
www.tcwo.com

/end my 2 cents.[/quote]
My labtop has XP home, as well as the computer where I work, and both of them have never had any virus problems. Of course we use Norton.
And my earler question never got answered, but the restore disk for Windows 98 does say something like "restore disk" on it right? Does the full version of 98 say something like "full verison" or "retail version" on it?

[quote name='int80h']
...and Im going to use XP Home as my OS.

I was going to do that, but then my friends Deb and Ian hooked me up :wink:[/quote]
:lol: My co-worker that could hook me up with XP for free is named Ian.

bread's done
Back