Please Lock This Thread, No Longer Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tha Xecutioner

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
ATTENTION ALL CAGs!!!
Thank you all for supporting this thread, but it has apparently become too large and was in need of a massive update so there is now a Version 2 available. Since this OP is no longer needed, please close this thread. Thanks.
- X

[quote name='jagwire1141']This is about me, isn't it?[/quote]This is in honor of you.

[quote name='jagwire1141']This is about me, isn't it?[/quote]
No, the problem has been rampant long before you posted your thread. This wasn't made out of meanness, anyways, just trying to make it easy on those who just got the system or looking to buy it.

[quote name='$hady']Buy a warranty!!!!!!!!!

:bomb:

[/quote]
Yeah! Thanks, forgot about that.

[quote name='Moxio']I bought mine online. how do I get a warranty? (overstock)[/quote]
Get it from M$, there is a card inside for $59.99(?) for 2 years but if you call people are saying it's only $49.99 ...... Lots of these things are dieing mine joined those ranks last week but luckily I bought the warranty. They are pretty quick about sending your coffin to and fro and cover all the shipping charges.

Good to see this thread pop up, I was going to do one myself. Nice job so far.

I'd add something on buying marketplace points - you get more for your money buying straight from the 360's dashboard than you do most stores, barring a deal someone finds. 1600 points at Best Buy or Circuit City runs you 25 bucks...for that same price on the marketplace you can get 2000 points - or basically one extra $5 game.

May want to consider adding a "reasons you may NOT want an XBox 360" portion as well just to keep it balanced. "If you want a lot of fighting games or RPGs right now" or "if you like importing great games from Japan" or "if you don't have broadband internet," etc. It wouldn't be ripping on MS or the 360, just advising people. When they ask whether or not they should get a 360, that doesn't necessarily mean "convince me to buy a 360."

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I personally have been hooked on games like Hexic, Geometry Wars, Uno, Gauntlet, Smash Brothers, and Hearts.][/QUOTE]

Huh? I assume you mean Smash TV. And I dig it as well.

[quote name='jagwire1141']This is about me, isn't it?[/QUOTE]
And the 10,000 people before you, whom have made the Exact. Same. Topic.
[quote name='Moxio']I bought mine online. how do I get a warranty? (overstock)[/QUOTE]
There should be some information inside the box, where you can order the warranty from Microsoft.

[quote name='dmes65']Hey Shady did you free one take a crap on you?[/quote]
Yup it was my free one from the Mountain Dew launch contest. :) It was fine untill last weekend and then it kept freezing constantly when I was trying to play Battlefield. I decided monday to take off the Intercooler and it froze up on the 360 logo screen then got red lights when I booted it back up. Maybe the Intercooler was keeping it alive since I could actually play for a bit with it attached.....?

Did you win one as well? Hope you sprung for the warranty a $60 protected 360 and the other freebies was good times! :D

[quote name='$hady']Yup it was my free one from the Mountain Dew launch contest. :) It was fine untill last weekend and then it kept freezing constantly when I was trying to play Battlefield. I decided monday to take off the Intercooler and it froze up on the 360 logo screen then got red lights when I booted it back up. Maybe the Intercooler was keeping it alive since I could actually play for a bit with it attached.....?

Did you win one as well? Hope you sprung for the warranty a $60 protected 360 and the other freebies was good times! :D[/QUOTE]
No I did not win one. The one I bought at launch I did buy the xtra warranty but since then I have picked up 2 more 360's and still debatig if I need the warranty.

Great idea for this thread, OP...they should sticky this.

If freshprince is reading this, THIS ONE'S FOR YOU!!!

:)

[quote name='toper']If freshprince is reading this, THIS ONE'S FOR YOU!!!

:)[/QUOTE]
Really. That kid makes WAAAY too many topics.

[quote name='Moxio']I bought mine online. how do I get a warranty? (overstock)[/QUOTE]
Just call xbox and if it's under the original 90 days they should let you have it.

[quote name='toper']Great idea for this thread, OP...they should sticky this.

If freshprince is reading this, THIS ONE'S FOR YOU!!!

:)[/quote]

2nd on the sticky.

Great job X, awesome thread, full of good information for anyone thinking about picking up a X360 or one who just bought one. Thanks for taking the time to do this. :applause: :bow:

[quote name='asaraa']How strict are they on the "mail warranty in before 10 days" claim?[/quote] They arn't very strict, hell it doesn't even say that they want a copy of the reciept so how will they know anyways. I bought a 360 from ebay that couldn't read discs. So I called 1-800-4my-xbox registered the system and told them I wanted to get the extended warrenty (I did this a week ago). But maybe I was just lucky. They told me that my system was under warrenty till august 13, 2006 and they offered me a 1 year warrenty for $30 to extend it another year. I just took that instead of asking for the 2 year because I didn't want to push my luck. Also for what its worth the xbox was manufactured in dec 2005.

I still have to register my other 360 I just got from overstock but renegade_zero reported that they charged him 60 for 2 years so maybe Ill just do the mail in since it says its 50 if you pay with a CC.

Man, the sticky killed this thread. Let me try and bring it back. What do I need to buy if I get the Premium pack, other than games? What's a good deal on the online service and what are some nifty doohickies to help me get the most out of my 360. Also, what about service plans and where should I buy from?

Cool, cool. Glad to see this instead of me going off and making my own topic.

Anyway, how long does the wireless controller last on normal AA batteries? I have a jillion AAs (easily 100+) and would like to syphon off those instead of buying a PnC.

[quote name='Logain8955']Cool, cool. Glad to see this instead of me going off and making my own topic.

Anyway, how long does the wireless controller last on normal AA batteries? I have a jillion AAs (easily 100+) and would like to syphon off those instead of buying a PnC.[/quote]

I got my 360 last week and have yet to need a new set of batteries. I've probably put in ~20-30 hours of gameplay so far...but microsoft says it should last 40+ hours.

[quote name='jagwire1141']Man, the sticky killed this thread. Let me try and bring it back. What do I need to buy if I get the Premium pack, other than games? What's a good deal on the online service and what are some nifty doohickies to help me get the most out of my 360. Also, what about service plans and where should I buy from?[/quote]

First off make sure you get the Gold membership. I dunno how many deals are on that, but 50 bucks for a years worth of online play is a great deal to me (depending on how much you're gonna play). The only thing I can think of that the Premium pack doesn't offer is the Play and Charge kit. It saves you from buying tons of batteries plus you can still play while it's charging (acts like a wired controller at this point). It doesn't really matter where you buy from, Sam's Club, Costco, Best Buy, Walmart, etc. are all good, just make sure you get the warranty.

Nice job, X. It's the first time I got around to reading this thread.

From now on all topics asking questions already answered in this thread will be locked and redirected here.

Thanks for making it.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Good to see this thread pop up, I was going to do one myself. Nice job so far.[/quote]
Sorry I stole your thunder then :). Thanks for your post, too. I will add those things today.

[quote name='toper']Great idea for this thread, OP
[/quote]
Thanks

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Great job X, awesome thread, full of good information for anyone thinking about picking up a X360 or one who just bought one. Thanks for taking the time to do this. :applause: :bow:[/quote]
Thanks man :cool:

[quote name='Brainwave0']X,

You're my hero for making this thread!!!!!!![/quote]
The Enrique Iglesias type of hero? :lol:

[quote name='Trakan']Nice job, X. It's the first time I got around to reading this thread.

From now on all topics asking questions already answered in this thread will be locked and redirected here.

Thanks for making it.[/quote]
Thank you for liking it and for stickying it. :applause:

Edit: OP updated with tons of new info.

[quote name='jagwire1141']Lol at Xecutioner reading his fanmail.[/quote]

Yeah yeah I know, this thread needed a bump with the updates anyway. Anything you see on the first post that's missing? This thread is for consumers just like yourself, so any input is welcomed.

I have been looking around for the price on the extended warranty and I still can't find it. Forgive me if it's in the first post. Where do I get one? From microsoft or the retailer? Also, link to the gamerankings page of X360 titles as well as the BC list. That would be nice. Btw, have you checked out Americanpierg's plan in the ps3 forum? It's worth a laugh.

you will need the wireless adapter for true wireless play. you may be able to buy something other that the official wireless adapter, others may know that.

if you already have a router, try to get it a wired connection. it is the cheapest rout, and running wire isnt to hard.

[quote name='jagwire1141']I have been looking around for the price on the extended warranty and I still can't find it. Forgive me if it's in the first post. Where do I get one? From microsoft or the retailer? Also, link to the gamerankings page of X360 titles as well as the BC list. That would be nice. Btw, have you checked out Americanpierg's plan in the ps3 forum? It's worth a laugh.[/quote] Comes in the 360 package, and I'm adding that as well as the links.

[quote name='jagwire1141']Oh! and do I need to buy the $100 wireless adapter to get wireless or can I use my existing router? Like the DS and PSP do.[/quote] Referring to the OP, as long as your existing router fits that list of compatible routers or does not fall into the list of incompatible routers, you are fine for now. If you want to go wireless for your setup, I would advise buying one from that list.

Even if you don't have the HD-DVD add-on do dvd's still look better through the 6 jacks instead of the three? Sorry, Idk the name for it. I have a monster cable for my PS2 though to help it look a little better. Also, I have a large sony tv and I don't know if it's 1080p or 720i, Hell idk what that means. Can someone help me out. It's fairly large and has a large vertical silver power button.

[quote name='jagwire1141']Even if you don't have the HD-DVD add-on do dvd's still look better through the 6 jacks instead of the three? Sorry, Idk the name for it. I have a monster cable for my PS2 though to help it look a little better. Also, I have a large sony tv and I don't know if it's 1080p or 720i, Hell idk what that means. Can someone help me out. It's fairly large and has a large vertical silver power button.[/quote]

Don't think I can help you out with the tv thing. I have a huge Sony that has a large silver power button, but I'm sure a looooooot of the Sony tvs have that :). I would imagine that the movies look a tiny bit worse without the add-on. Of course, you need to find out if your tv is high def compatible before you start looking for jacks and what not.

does microsoft send the xbox emails (like the slipped lumines one) to your passport address?

i could not see any other options, and my passport email is just a sess pool of junkmail.

i have not received any xbox emails from ms, at all. can i sign up another email address somewhere?

[quote name='orntar']does microsoft send the xbox emails (like the slipped lumines one) to your passport address?

i could not see any other options, and my passport email is just a sess pool of junkmail.

i have not received any xbox emails from ms, at all. can i sign up another email address somewhere?[/quote]

It's whatever address your Live tag is attached to. They send them every now and then, I'd say roughly about once a month. Not sure where to sign up, check xbox.com under your live profile, it probobly has settings about receiving emails from them.

I got Oblivion and a play and charge kit as well as a two year PRP from Best Buy. I have $55 to Gamecrazy and I was at a huge fucking stalemate last night with what to buy. I thought, "Well, I could buy 12 months of XBL and have nothing to play on it, or buy another game that I would want to play primarily on XBL and not have XBL." Nothing really snagged my eye either, hopefull BFME2 gets some good reviews. I also thought about getting some marketplace points but decided against it. Oh well, Oblivion should last me a good long while. I downloaded a demo of almost every title and I play a little hexic here and there. Question: What looks better? 720p or 1080i?

[quote name='jagwire1141'] Question: What looks better? 720p or 1080i?[/QUOTE]

Depends on the native resolution of your TV Set. I have a 720p native HD display so I set my 360 to that resolution. Looks great.

So, set the resolution of the X-Box to the native resolution of your TV, and you will have it looking as good as possible.

Ok, I went to Gamecrazy and played some demos on the kiosk and I asked to see if HL2 was Backwards compatible. The lady put it in and it said disc error but it's still on the BC list. She probably didn't have it updated but what do I have to do to play HL2 on my 360?

[quote name='jagwire1141']Ok, I went to Gamecrazy and played some demos on the kiosk and I asked to see if HL2 was Backwards compatible. The lady put it in and it said disc error but it's still on the BC list. She probably didn't have it updated but what do I have to do to play HL2 on my 360?[/quote]

Make sure you're connected to XBL and just put the game in. It will download the emulation software needed to run that specific game. There are other ways of doing it, such as burning the emulation software to a disc, but this way is by far the easiest.

[quote name='Elrod']Depends on the native resolution of your TV Set. I have a 720p native HD display so I set my 360 to that resolution. Looks great.

So, set the resolution of the X-Box to the native resolution of your TV, and you will have it looking as good as possible.[/quote]My 56 inch Samsung DLP is 1080p, so would 1080i be the best option?

[quote name='sj41']My 56 inch Samsung DLP is 1080p, so would 1080i be the best option?[/quote]
That was the same situation for me, but 1080p is a higher resolution than 1080i so you're ok with sticking with 1080i as your option.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']That was the same situation for me, but 1080p is a higher resolution than 1080i so you're ok with sticking with 1080i as your option.[/quote]

Not a higher resolution per se, just has all 1080 lines of pixels displayed at the same time instead of being broken up into odds and evens

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back