What was the best version of Final Fantasy?

Your choices:

1 - original nintendo
2 - original nintendo (not released until 2003 as FF origins)
3 - original nintendo (japan only)

4 - super nintendo (aka 2-u.s.)
5 - super nintendo (released as FF anthology)
6 - super nintendo (aka 3-u.s.)

7 - ps1
8 - ps1
9 - ps1

10 - ps2

====================================

My pick is 6. Best story. Best characters. Best battle system. Best graphics for a 2D system. And the most fun to play.

troy

Numba 4! I love the soundtrack.. though I agree with your statement about 6 having the best characters, especially that gambling guy.. but I just looooooooove #4.

Revolution should be great because of this, never beat Secret of Evermore. And defintely 6-3 in US. 2 is just behind it with 7 being third.

I love them all, but 6 was the first I played, so it holds a special place in my heart (left ventricle, I think).

In order:

6, 7, Tactics, 9, 4, Mystic Quest, 11

I hated 8, as a FF game. If it were a standalone RPG, I might have enjoyed it. Just didn't keep the momentum that the series had started. A real buzzkill. It had some of the coolest summons too,... a real shame.

10 was just horrid. Linear and pretty. Nothing phenomenal, with an ending that took the award for worst EVER in my book. AND NO,... after 2 hours into 10-2, I didn't want to find out what happened to Tidus. (Although, I did want to dress up like dancer) COVERGIRL!!

#4 is probably my all time favorite game. Great story, music and characters. I wish everyone went gaga over it like VII, i'd love to seem them revisit those characters and make a bunch of spinoff games.

this is going to get ugly... 6 was a wonderful game, but i love 7... there was nothing else like it when it came out. watching the opening movie was amazing, the commercials on tv were amazing. in fact, when ff7 came out i was in a point in my life where i wasnt gaming, i didnt have any systems, it was if i stopped... but this game came out and i bought a psx, ff7 and gameday 98 (not quite as good)... and now im back into gaming full force

[quote name='iheartmetal']this is going to get ugly... 6 was a wonderful game, but i love 7... there was nothing else like it when it came out. watching the opening movie was amazing, the commercials on tv were amazing. in fact, when ff7 came out i was in a point in my life where i wasnt gaming, i didnt have any systems, it was if i stopped... but this game came out and i bought a psx, ff7 and gameday 98 (not quite as good)... and now im back into gaming full force[/QUOTE]

i was in a similar boat at that time. I had just joined ht emilitary and didn't have any systems. It was a combination of FF7 and Goldeneye that brought me back into the fold

iheartmetal............. strange you say that.

I sold my launch PS1, and pretty much stopped gaming. Then, during I think the Superbowl, I saw the commercial.

I picked up my new PS1 and FF7 with my dad, and got him Gameday 97, used along with my stuff. He was handicapped, and loved Super Play Action Football on the SNES. As he could only stay inside mostly. Gameday blew him away.

Too bad he never got to see Madden.

That sparked up my gaming life again for certain.
:)

[quote name='drone8888']In order:

6, 7, Tactics, 9, 4, Mystic Quest, 11

I hated 8, as a FF game. If it were a standalone RPG, I might have enjoyed it. Just didn't keep the momentum that the series had started. A real buzzkill. It had some of the coolest summons too,... a real shame.

10 was just horrid. Linear and pretty. Nothing phenomenal, with an ending that took the award for worst EVER in my book. AND NO,... after 2 hours into 10-2, I didn't want to find out what happened to Tidus. (Although, I did want to dress up like dancer) COVERGIRL!![/QUOTE]

Ok, by having Mystic Quest anywhere but last you showed that you have horrible taste.

agreed about mystic quest.

it's hard to argue with VI, it's really the only one with a female lead character, great character development (i sure was more into these characters than Cloud, Squall, monkey boy or the trite and annoying tidus- tho i beat and enjoyed all these games...cept for 8 ), the music was good, the opera scene is one of the best in gaming history, and the magic system was fun (tho lopsided towards the end).

Shadow's theme? nuff said.

With a name like Tromack.......

Well,.... it was the only FF my family could afford to buy for me and my brother, asshat.
When you have to borrow games, like FF6, just to see them,.... you'd get into just about anything you could.

At $70-90 a game, we were sitting pretty on MQ.
Sitting in my attic all summer long playing that game made me appreciate it, whereas you fortunate silverspooners were probably at your beachhomes getting handjobs from hot latin women.

Eat my ass,... twice.
BTW,... I have the best taste in most matters,... you just Ito'd me, that's all.

7 was the most commercially succesfull. Play 3/6 on revolution when it comes out. All of squares games from snes days were the best. Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 2 and 3. The charecter development in any of the games that have come out afterward has yet to match there earlier works. Of which 3 is the best by majority those who played them. Even in Japan 3 or 6 is voted the best. This vote has been held before and it's usually the same. 7 wins because more people played it buy most if not all people who remember 3 know it's the best. With 2 being dam close.

I do beleive you meant Relm's theme.....

Enough said.
And yeah,... the opera scene still holds magic for me.
Finding out that you could've saved Shadow,... AFTER you beat the game,.... most joyous moment of all time. Getting to play the masterpiece all over again. Then,... finding out that you could catch FRESH fish, and not kill the old man.

What a game.

[quote name='j.elles']Revolution should be great because of this, never beat Secret of Evermore. And defintely 6-3 in US. 2 is just behind it with 7 being third.[/QUOTE]

Didn't see this mentioned, but I highly doubt Square will put it's old games on the Revolution... espically when they can update the graphics, charge full price, and have people buy it from them so they get 100% of the profits.

Although I believe that FF7 is one of the greatest games ever made, I'd still have to say that FF6 is the best entry in the series overall. I've spent so much time playing both of them and it's difficult to pick one over the other. The original on NES was great for its time and was my first experience w/ an RPG.

All the FFs up to IX deserve to played. Once graphics became the most important aspect the series has declined. I felt X and X-2 were shallow games, the first truly produced to cater to a mass audience and not RPG or FF fans.

Great:
FF6
FF7
FF5
FF1
FF4

Good:
FF3 (played/finished this on DC)
FF8
FF2
FF9

Poor:
X/X-2

my first rpg was FF 6 I had to watch my older brother play it until he beat it. After he beat it it was my turn and I fell in love. Part 7 made my cry because how good it looked (at the time) and I loved every minute of it . But part 6 wow that game was freekin awesome. From most of the final fantasys I played it had that branching part where your team gets divided into 3 groups that was the best part.

The characters where great , not one of them was useless ( hmm maybe that sketch girl ) . The music was the best and my favorite monster name of all ( with the one if not the best boss theme ever ) ATMA WEAPON.

[quote name='Scorch']Numba 4! I love the soundtrack.. though I agree with your statement about 6 having the best characters, especially that gambling guy.. but I just looooooooove #4.[/QUOTE]

Very Very Well Said Scorch!

I will be going to see Dear Friends when it comes to detroit on July 23rd (thanks for the b-day gift b), and I hope, actually I pray I hear the redwings theme from the opening of IV :) that would make my year and it could finally start and stop falling behind

Square gave a lot of compliments to revolution at e3. Very possible that they'll give them to revolution owners. Possibly as a gift if you get crystal chronicles but they'll make them availible. Nintendo will fight hard for them so no worry's. Having backwards to nes and not having the final fantasys is like mario kart for ds with no online, Ninteno just won't allow it.

[quote name='jam3582']

The characters where great , not one of them was useless ( hmm maybe that sketch girl ) . The music was the best and my favorite monster name of all ( with the one if not the best boss theme ever ) ATMA WEAPON.[/QUOTE]

WHAT!? Relm is one of the best magic uses/magic defense. At the end of the game, if you've played it right, you can destroy kefka's tower using just Relm, Celes and Terra.

IF any character was useless in ffvi it was definitely Gau!

No, if you get some of the better animal moves and level him up properly with the magnacite growth he's kick ass. I loved Gau.

it's true if you got some of the better rages but still, he's one of the weaker characters.

i think the strongest characters at the end of the game are Celes, Terra, Relm, Locke, Shadow, and Edgar.

[quote name='iheartmetal']when ff7 came out i was in a point in my life where i wasnt gaming, i didnt have any systems, it was if i stopped... ... and now im back into gaming full force[/QUOTE]My story's almost identical, except for me it was FF10 & the beautiful Yuna commercials that re-awakened my desire for gaming. I skipped the N64/PS1 generation completely - jumped straight from a 16-bit Amiga (think genesis) to the 128-bit PS2.

By the way, why do people equate "my first" w/ "the best"??? My first was FF10, but I'd certainly never say it was the best . Best looking babes, but it's weak in all other aspects.

troy

all the ff's after 6 were a big dissapointment to me, lotsa eye candy but other than that, rather drab.

chrono cross was much much better than 7,8,9 and 10.

10 was the biggest disapointment for me, because visually it was spectacular, but gameplay wise and story wise it was lame sauce.

the charcters were so hollow and boring.

Waka? no thank you.

10 was all right, just very hollow I agree. 7 had sufficient charecter development though. Not as good as snes versions, but it deserves a metion as the best game of the playstation versions. As for Gau, you could be right. I leveled him and Sabin up so much they were nearly maxed out. Sabin was my best mage because I leveled him up so much. 7 had the best fighting system in my opinion as well. Hate the job system. Mimic, he by default is the best. Mimic, Sabin, Gau, Terra, Celes, Shadow were my tops. With Edgar, and Cyan approaching in the numbers area. Anway it's no contest. Deryl's tomb, Lock's home town and girlfriend, Shadow Relm and Strago and the secret dreams and hints of their relationship. Sabin and his teacher, Edgar and Sabin's split up. Gau's father. Celes's underground castle scene. The opera scene. And that's just a few.
So much CDevelopment. All others pale in comparison. No contest.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']it's true if you got some of the better rages but still, he's one of the weaker characters.

i think the strongest characters at the end of the game are Celes, Terra, Relm, Locke, Shadow, and Edgar.[/QUOTE]

dont forget mimic (i think that was his name).

his name was Gogo, and he was versatile, but he was jack of all trades, master of none. If i wanted blitzes, Sabin was better, if i wanted to steal, locke was faster, even Edgar deals more damage with the chain saw or drill than Gogo.

Terra is the best character far and away, if you max her out, give her the atma weapon and the excalibur, and then morph, you can deal 60,000 damage a turn.

i've beaten if every year for 11 years now, the first couple of years i would beat it 5-6 a year. i've done all the low level walkthroughs and the CES walkthrough (you just use celes, edgar and sabin for the world of ruin) so i'm pretty much done with everything, tho, i do still beat it every year, it's nice and relaxing.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']his name was Gogo, and he was versatile, but he was jack of all trades, master of none. If i wanted blitzes, Sabin was better, if i wanted to steal, locke was faster, even Edgar deals more damage with the chain saw or drill than Gogo.
.[/QUOTE]

He lived in the belly of a worm though.

You don't get more hardcore than that.

[quote name='bowmanarmy']9 or 10 are both great. X-2 and 6 are the worst[/QUOTE]

Six is not the worst, at all. Ever.

Six is probably the best Squaresoft game ever. It feautured the best of Nobuo Uematsu. Square also did a great job with the characters and their relationships. I think only FFVII rivals FFVI in terms of how connected the player feels to the characters.

[quote name='Roufuss']He lived in the belly of a worm though.

You don't get more hardcore than that.[/QUOTE]

it's true, the Zoneater is a pretty hardcore beast.

though you never learn if Gogo is a he or she...:shock:

My nod would have to go to FF VII, but I'm biased due to not playing the previous six. Also FF VIII's music put me to sleep and I haven't played any that followed. I'm really lookoing forward to the CGI movie coming out based around FF VII.

happy gaming

Did you not see the scene with Gau and his father, he is a boy. gogo, he refered to himself as gau gau once, what are you talking about. 7 was pretty balanced. Plus you could alter stats by equiping magnacite at level up. So it's all which charecters you leveled up more. Double check man, his name is the american version at least was Gau.

I need to revisit the old ones-- I haven't beaten 6 yet. I felt like I played X and X-2 just because they were FF games....and I think they should go back to text for the dialogue, causes the voices just kill it for me. Square can make some good characters, but in a storybook way, which doesn't always translate to a movie all that well.

that said, I'm dodging the original question...

but I will say I fucking flipped out when I changed character class for the first time in the original FF. I was probably about 7 at the time and the Ninja blew my mind :)

[quote name='j.elles']Did you not see the scene with Gau and his father, he is a boy. gogo, he refered to himself as gau gau once, what are you talking about. 7 was pretty balanced. Plus you could alter stats by equiping magnacite at level up. So it's all which charecters you leveled up more. Double check man, his name is the american version at least was Gau.[/QUOTE]

uh wtf?

two different characters, Gau the wild child, Gogo the mimicker.

Gau is discovered on the veldt in the world of balance.

Gogo is discovered inside the Zoneater in the world of ruin.

allow me to illustrate their differences:

Gau:
icgau.jpg

Gogo:
icgogo.jpg

[quote name='mr_pollock']
9 or 10 are both great. X-2 and 6 are the worst
Six is not the worst, at all. Ever.[/QUOTE] I agree. I can understand some might prefer 4 or 9, instead of 6, but no way, no how, is 6 the worst FF. The original 3 on the Original 8-bit Nintendo are far, far worse (almost no story = "boring").

As for FF10-2, I don't think it's any worse than FF5. Both are weak on story, but both have that cool job system. It makes random battling fun again.

troy

bread's done
Back