Convert Me, This Is Your Chance

PittsburghAfterDark

CAGiversary!
I'm asking all of you Kerry supporters to give me reasons why people should vote FOR John Kerry and not AGAINST GWB. I don't want "Ashcroft won't be AG. Rumsfeld won't be SoD. Rice won't be the NSA." etc. I don't want things like "Someone else can pick supreme court justices." or things that would be true of ANY of the Democratic candidates that won the nomination this year things like "America will be America." again are cop outs too. Tell me what it is about John Kerry and his policies as they have been laid out that have you enthused about his campaign.

I will not respond to this post in a derogatory fashion. I probably won't even respond due to it resulting in a general flame war. However at one point, probably after the RNC convention. I will list a positve list of why I think GWB is a better candidate for the job without denigrating a party or a candidate. I would like to see someone articulate enough to formulate the same thing about John F. Kerry.

Again, I am going to be very judicious in my responses to non-existant. I want this to be a chance for unbridled support to come forward. If there are other Republicans on the board, please refrain from being derogatory in your responses or snide. I think we should know why people are so gung ho for Kerry.

[quote name='Thunderscope']Kerry would make people like you smart![/quote]

I'm very interested in anyone will have a good comment in this thread. But for reference, this is what's considered an example of a terrible reply.

Pretty sure Kerry is the reincarnation of Lincoln. No real proof, just looks like him. Kinda.

Did I convert you? Hope I didn't blow my one chance.

This will come off sounding somewhat like "Kerry isn't Bush" - but consider it simply as a point of reference.

Kerry isn't ideologically driven. He understands science, and the methodology behind it. What Bush did re: WMD in Iraq and their involvement with terrorism is that they drew a conclusion, then dug for evidence to support their theories. This is pretty well established, from Woodward's book, Clarke's account, etc.

Kerry's process, simply because he is less driven by a specific ideology, will be to return information gathering to a more scientfic approach. Rather than mining for data to support a hypothesis, a hypothesis will be presented, then all the available data will be used to determine whether that hypothesis is supported.

That's a huge, huge shift, and one of the single most dangerous things about the Bush administration.

He also understands the necessity of maintaining alliances, and that unilateral action is more detrimental than productive. I don't believe that that is equivalent to giving the reins to the UN, as several conservative commentators have said, but rather, that the more poeple are on your side, the easier it is to win a given battle. Had we actually had a reasonable coalition in Iraq, the post-war cleanup would have been a lot easier, if we actually *had* to go to war.

Kerry also has a better economic plan. Rather than continuing tax cuts for the extremely wealthy, he's willing to roll back cuts for those making $200K+, in order to finance a public healthcare system. Warren Buffet supports the general position, and that's saying something, given that he gets a ridiculous amount of money from Bush's tax cuts. Not that he needs it.

So, we have someone who will work with other countries, who isn't driven purely by ideology, and someone who isn't going to bankrupt our country in order to give people who make 200K+/year extra money at the expense of the working class.

seppo

Yes, I know that was crude, but I am so sick of PAD threads. Kerry will provide more funding for local schools, make sure every senior in America can afford to buy prescription drugs in their own country, and he will stop these taxcuts for the rich and for companies shifting labor overseas.

A good comment.. but you're economic assesment is flawed. First off, a national healthcare system is truly a poor idea. In every democratic country that currently has a public healthcare system (especially Britain and Canada).. the quality of care is very low compared to private systems. Most patients are also waiting a tremendously long time for "non-life threatening" situations. For example, I recently had a surgery for a condition that caused me a tremendous amount of pain for the majority of every day.. with our current system I was easily able to schedule a surgery and get it taken care of.. in Britain I could have easily waited up to 6 months for the same surgery.

Secondly, the Bush administration is not giving money to the rich. They're simply not taxing them at as high a percentage as they were before the current president. Now realize, the rich are still paying a higher percentage than the lower tax brackets. A flat rate income tax would be much more in line with a capitalistic economy, not taking more of a man's salary, simply because he makes more.

edit - The good comment was directed towards helava.

1. He supports stem cell research.

2. He supports abortion rights.

3. I believe he will do a better job as Commander in Chief (i.e. only going to war as a last resort, better military benefits, etc.)

4. He will work closer with allies.

5. He has a better environmental record.

6. He supports the assault weapon ban.

At least in Canada EVERYONE gets healthcare, I am sure the rich and upper middle class will continue to purchase private healthcare. If I was in this situation I would much rather wait a few months to get treatment than none at all. It is a basic human right everyone should have.

You don't want your little hard-wired brain converted.

This is just a sad little topic about how you have nothing better to do than be an ass on a public message board.

You are a sorry little bastard, you know that?

[quote name='Thunderscope']Yes, I know that was crude, but I am so sick of PAD threads. Kerry will provide more funding for local schools, make sure every senior in America can afford to buy prescription drugs in their own country, and he will stop these taxcuts for the rich and for companies shifting labor overseas.[/quote]

Ok....

Kerry will provide more funding for local schools.
First off, I've heard no real discussion on how they will do that, that would help show your point. Secondly, that's not really the federal government's place.

make sure every senior in America can afford to buy prescription drugs
I may look like an ass here.. but if they can't afford the product, then they simply don't get it. I want a BMW, if I can't afford a BMW.. I don't ask the government to provide it for me.

he will stop these taxcuts for the rich and for companies shifting labor overseas
Ok, see my above post, but there is nothing wrong with a taxcut for the higher tax brackets. In fact there is more wrong with taxing them at a higher percentage than lower tax brackets.

And are we somehow giving corporations tax cuts for sending labor overseas.. or do you mean he'll stop them from sending labor overseas?

Either idea is a crock. We obviously don't get them tax cuts, and he has no way to stop them from sending labor overseas. Oh.. and if you take a more advanced economics class.. its actually a benefit to our economy for these low-wage, low-skill jobs to be sent overseas.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']First off, a national healthcare system is truly a poor idea. In every democratic country that currently has a public healthcare system (especially Britain and Canada).. the quality of care is very low compared to private systems. Most patients are also waiting a tremendously long time for "non-life threatening" situations.[/quote]

I found this in regards to how Canadians view their healthcare system. It's from Commission on the Future of Healthcare in Canada 2 years ago.

“Most Canadians, including the more economically secure, remain deeply committed to a system that guarantees all Canadians access to good quality health care.”

The study states that “Canadians very much like the current Canadian health care system model, with 88 per cent saying that a strong, national, publicly funded system is important to them.”  Canadians also indicated a willingness to expend public funds to ensure quality, and demonstrated deep discomfort with any system that would limit access to health care services due to an inability to pay.

[quote name='MrBadExample']1. He supports stem cell research.

2. He supports abortion rights.

3. I believe he will do a better job as Commander in Chief (i.e. only going to war as a last resort, better military benefits, etc.)

4. He will work closer with allies.

5. He has a better environmental record.

6. He supports the assault weapon ban.[/quote]

1. I don't agree with stem-cell research, for many reasons I dont feel like getting into.

2. I'm pro-choice, so I'll agree with you there.

5. Environmentalists are one of the biggest threats to our way of life. For those of you that don't quite understand that...
http://www.aynrand.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=7124

[quote name='Cornfedwb']
I may look like an ass here.. but if they can't afford the product, then they simply don't get it. I want a BMW, if I can't afford a BMW.. I don't ask the government to provide it for me.
[/quote]

No one is going to DIE if they can't afford a BMW.

Ok, maybe a 16 year old will, "Daddy, I'll Just DIE if my first car isn't a roadster" j/k

Seriously you're compairing apples to oranges here, Seniors NEED medication, that's why they were prescibed them.

[quote name='peteloaf'][quote name='Cornfedwb']
[/quote]

Ok, maybe a 16 year old will, "Daddy, I'll Just DIE if my first car isn't a roadster" j/k

Seriously you're compairing apples to oranges here, Seniors NEED medication, that's why they were prescibed them.[/quote]

You don't understand... it isn't our government's responsibility to provide merchandise to its people. Companys produce this product and market it for sale, it is not my job to work harder simply to provide these products to people who were unable to save money when they were working.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']make sure every senior in America can afford to buy prescription drugs
I may look like an ass here.. but if they can't afford the product, then they simply don't get it. I want a BMW, if I can't afford a BMW.. I don't ask the government to provide it for me.[/quote]

You beat me to the punch with the ass thing there. The difference is you are not going to die without a BMW. And to put it in terms a mega-capitalist would understand, when people cannot afford preventative care, they develop more serious illness which necessitate more costly hospital stays that we all pay for with higher insurance and hospital bills.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='peteloaf'][quote name='Cornfedwb']
[/quote]

Seriously you're compairing apples to oranges here, Seniors NEED medication, that's why they were prescibed them.[/quote]

You don't understand... it isn't our government's responsibility to provide merchandise to its people. Companys produce this product and market it for sale, it is not my job to work harder simply to provide these products to people who were unable to save money when they were working.[/quote]

damn straight. govenment shouldnt be giving out any prescription drug relief, so for all you teachers, cops, fireman, mailmen, politician, public librarians and any other government workers, we want to take away your benefit packages, casue health care is an industry and the government shouldn't pay for any of that shit. you want benefits, go work for McDonalds.

*sarcas-tastic!

[quote name='Cornfedwb']
You don't understand... it isn't our government's responsibility to provide merchandise to its people. Companys produce this product and market it for sale, it is not my job to work harder simply to provide these products to people who were unable to save money when they were working.[/quote]

First, What happened to LIFE, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

Second, it's not just a matter of affording something that you want, it's affording something that you need. As far as saving money, most people can't save money because what they make just barely covers thier living expenses.

IMO the problem with healthcare is that doctors need to spend so much money on their malpractice insurance, because trial lawyers are constantly suing them over issues that have no merit. If we begin to hold these lawyers accountable for wasting the courts time, and impose limits on how much damages can be awarded, then the cost of healthcare will decline sharply to the point where anyone with a job can afford it.
This country has gotten sue crazy, and because of this costs of everything are rising at an alarming rate. I would support anyone that would stand up and say that enough is enough, and finally curb this litigation frenzy. Unfortunatlely neither side has a real stong stand on this, just vagueries, and double talk.

[quote name='Squirms'] doctors need to spend so much money on their malpractice insurance, because trial lawyers are constantly suing them over issues that have no merit.[/quote]

I remember that my old family doctor had to leave town because his Malpractice insurance cost became about 1 million dollars a year in premiums. No shit.

A flat tax is a silly idea. Why? Because basic necessities, like food and shelter, have a minimum cost. If I earn minimum wage, and pay 10% of my wages in tax, then that is money that I might need to maintain a minumum standard of living that has been removed from my ability to spend. If I tax someone who makes 200K a year at the same percentage, they are easily able to meet the minumum standard of living, and then some. So, they're taxed the same percentage, but it's not really beneficial to us as a society, and it does handicap the poor.

On top of that, the middle and lower class also pay a substantial amount in payroll taxes, for services that are being gutted by this administration, whose benefits they will likely never see.

Regardless, a flat tax is a pretty poor idea, that really only seems fair on the surface, if you're not willing to give it any substantive thought.

seppo

I have to respond to this comment: "most people can't save money because what they make just barely covers thier living expenses." That may be true in some cases and I am not completely unsympathetic. However, I also see a LOT of people with low or moderate paying jobs that drive SUVs, carry cell phones, and have houses much bigger than they really need. These people COULD be saving a great deal of money if they would get their heads out of their rear ends. Get an economical car, ditch that cell phone which you don't really need, and get a smaller house - suddenly you are saving hundreds of dollars a month. Why are personal bankruptcies on the increase? It has nothing to do with the economy and everything to do with people's inability to control their own avarice.

How bout quit suing all the medical companies and doctors, and let people buy drugs from Canada or Mexico?
There are many communities that don't have doctors of certain types at all, and those that do, either don't diagnose anything, or diagnose and test for EVERYTHINg because they don't dare miss something and then be sued.
Everyone can have health care. If you 'need' healthcare and you go to an ER, they *will* keep you alive. healthcare as it is now is a 'gimme' anyway, many people who have healthcare use and abuse it for anything, rather than for 'catastrophic' or 'emergency' situations. Or they continue with their lifestyle, rather than changing aspects of it and no longer needing as much healthcare, thus saving EVERYONE money.

Stem cell research: The issue, as I recall it, is not so much stem cell research, but *federal funding* of stem cell research using fetal stem cells. I'm against that. I don't necessarily mind stem cell research, but not federally funding--almost all great discoveries were discovered/created by private industry/citizens. Perhaps with a little gov't money, but the real motivator for most people is money. If I get 250k a year from the feds to research, why, I'll reseach for decades. But if I can sell my solution to *whatever* to some company or the public for millions and royalties, there's my motivation. And there are other forms of stem cells that can be used, possibly to more benefit, than the harvesting of fetuses, which deemphasizes the importance of a fetus [I'm also against abortion in general, so those two I believe are linked.]
Kerry will provide more funding for local schools;
I don't want more funding for local schools. The localities should be in charge of spending for their local schools. Especially given recent evidence where higher teacher pay [which is generally where that money goes] is NOT directly correlated to better student performance [I am all for *good* teachers getting paid more, but just throwing money or computers at teachers and students doesn't do anything to help the student.]

Labor overseas: So we should be isolationist and protectionist? I thought that was a bad thing? Wasn't that one of the Demcratic arguments for NAFTA? And aren't we concerned about people around the world? What could be better for most poor people around the world than a decent paying job? [Obviously I don't support sweatshops.] So these companies are actually acting to raise the standard of living of many people around the world, wow, what a global impact.

Anyway....No, it's likely no one will change anyone's mind here. But I echo PaD's request for a *discussion/debate* as to why to vote for Kerry versus voting against GWB. And anyone who will argue that with logic at least, facts if possible, and will listen to counterarguments [for after all, how can you be sure of your *own* opinion or knowledge if you can't defend it?] for the sake of discussion, gets my kudos and respect. Leave the 'Cause Bush sent kids to die for oil!' bollocks at the front stoop, please.

[quote name='legion_stxds']What is denigrating?[/quote]

1. To attack the character or reputation of; speak ill of; defame.
2. To disparage; belittle: The critics have denigrated our efforts.
1: belittle;

If I work hard on a project, and you say 'that sucks!' you're denigrating it. Badmouthing.

There's also the notion that part of government's responsibility is to provide a safety net. One of the major arguments of the right seems to be that if you're not well off, you're not well off because it's your fault.

I'd like you to tell that to someone who was working at a job that didn't provide health insurance, but got cancer.

I suppose it's their fault they're now saddled with tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills per month?

What if the economy collapsed, and your small business fell apart?

What if your relative required support that you could barely afford? What if your child fell grievously ill? What if your spouse was in a car accident, and was injured enough that the expenses were beyond what insurance paid for?

I'm not saying there aren't people out there abusing the system. But the notion that people who aren't well off aren't well off because of something they did, or must have done, is just silly.

seppo

The issue with stem cell research isn't funding, it's availability of lines of stem cells. If an embryo isn't going to be implanted, the alternatives are to dispose of them, or use them for research. Because of a completely ideologically driven Bush Adminstration, that's afraid to offend the radical right-wing religious kooks, they've said that they'd rather just throw those embryos out, than use them for science, because they're "sacred human life blabbity blah."

Now, if I were an embryo, and hell, just for laughs, say I was completely sentient, and were able to decide my own fate, my option would be science, not the dumpster.

But hell, that's just my opinion.

seppo

[quote name='Machine']I have to respond to this comment: "most people can't save money because what they make just barely covers thier living expenses." That may be true in some cases and I am not completely unsympathetic. However, I also see a LOT of people with low or moderate paying jobs that drive SUVs, carry cell phones, and have houses much bigger than they really need. These people COULD be saving a great deal of money if they would get their heads out of their rear ends. Get an economical car, ditch that cell phone which you don't really need, and get a smaller house - suddenly you are saving hundreds of dollars a month. Why are personal bankruptcies on the increase? It has nothing to do with the economy and everything to do with people's inability to control their own avarice.[/quote]

Great points. Plus, most americans owe boat loads of money on their credit cards. Living outside of our means.

[quote name='Squirms']IMO the problem with healthcare is that doctors need to spend so much money on their malpractice insurance, because trial lawyers are constantly suing them over issues that have no merit. If we begin to hold these lawyers accountable for wasting the courts time, and impose limits on how much damages can be awarded, then the cost of healthcare will decline sharply to the point where anyone with a job can afford it.
This country has gotten sue crazy, and because of this costs of everything are rising at an alarming rate. I would support anyone that would stand up and say that enough is enough, and finally curb this litigation frenzy. Unfortunatlely neither side has a real stong stand on this, just vagueries, and double talk.[/quote]

Lawsuits are NOT the reason malpractice insurance is going up. Payouts for lawsuits have been going down. The reason that they go up is that insurance companies were taking a beating on investing their money in the stock market, so to make up the difference, they jacked up their premiums.

[quote name='dtcarson'][quote name='legion_stxds']What is denigrating?[/quote]

1. To attack the character or reputation of; speak ill of; defame.
2. To disparage; belittle: The critics have denigrated our efforts.
1: belittle;

If I work hard on a project, and you say 'that sucks!' you're denigrating it. Badmouthing.[/quote]

Your project DOES suck! It's all macaroni and glitter paint! It was supposed to be a 4 page paper on Eli Whitney!

[quote name='helava']A flat tax is a silly idea. Why? Because basic necessities, like food and shelter, have a minimum cost. If I earn minimum wage, and pay 10% of my wages in tax, then that is money that I might need to maintain a minumum standard of living that has been removed from my ability to spend. If I tax someone who makes 200K a year at the same percentage, they are easily able to meet the minumum standard of living, and then some. So, they're taxed the same percentage, but it's not really beneficial to us as a society, and it does handicap the poor.

On top of that, the middle and lower class also pay a substantial amount in payroll taxes, for services that are being gutted by this administration, whose benefits they will likely never see.

Regardless, a flat tax is a pretty poor idea, that really only seems fair on the surface, if you're not willing to give it any substantive thought.

seppo[/quote]

But part of that 'minimum cost' is merely taxation and regulation, passed the consumer. It is estimated that lawsuits cost every person about 2700$ a year in the form of higher prices; taxation and regulation, probably about that much again. So if there were a simpler tax plan, with *no* exceptions, then you wouldn't be taxed both on tax day and when buying products [both the sales tax and the hidden costs.] So in general, products would become cheaper, or at least, they would cost what the *product* costs, and not the governmental burdens.

I guess an important question about taxation is this: and it requires a little self-analysis:
What is the purpose of taxation? I believe it's to run the government, and the government [federal] is already biting off more than it's 'supposed' to. Many people see taxation as a way to redistribute wealth, or, worse imho, to 'punish' people who earn a lot of money. [And 'a lot' varies widely.'

Here's a couple interesting articles on what taxation costs us and the country/global economy.

http://www.fee.org/vnews.php?nid=4577
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-302.html
http://www.kwcom.kwcom.net/2004_03_25_kwcom_archive.html

Rather than a 'flat tax', how about the Fair Tax?
"The FairTax allows Americans to keep 100 percent of their paychecks (minus any state income taxes)"
"No federal sales tax up to the poverty level means progressivity like today's tax system."
"With the FairTax, if you choose to buy any new good or service, the sales tax is charged just as state sales taxes are computed today....So, in deciding what to buy, you get to choose whether or not you pay the federal consumption tax"
"The FairTax plan is fairer because, much more than an income tax, it is based on "ability to pay."'

This way, if I happened to make 50k one year then 500k the next [legally]; under the current system I would be 'penalized' for making that extra money, thus reducing motivation to continue making it. maybe I wouldn't invent something again, or whatever. But under the Fair Tax, I could stick everything I didn't need to spend on 'essentials' in the bank, then the *next* year spend it on a house, trip, investment, whatever, and be taxed at that point. People don't earn money just to earn it, they earn it to spend it.

I agree, the government should help with a safety net. But people also need to be responsible--to me, the government should be like the parent of a 35 year old. If you *NEED* money, for an emergency or whatever, surely your parents will help you [if they can]. But by that point, you "should" be responsible enough to plan for the future, with the exception of some calamity [which does happen]. But the current view of government 'safety net' is more like the parent of a 13 or 14 year old. Yes, I can go mow lawns for money, but why not just go ask my parents if I'm not getting enough lawns? [And yes, those are two mass generalizations, I'm trying to make an example by exaggeration.]

If that business was more able to run its own business rather than comply with random gratuitous regulations, it might be able to afford to provide health insurance. Many small businesses do collapse; in fact, most. In many cases, that is due, again, to the burden of complying with government. But some cases are due to the marketplace--every big company was once a small company. Industries change. Amalgamated Buggy Whips is no longer in business; it either adapted or died. Should they be subsidized by the government for provided a 'product' no one uses any more?

Payouts for lawsuits may have been going down. If you mean the payout to the victim. The lawyers still get paid....just ask Mr Edwards. I don't think lawsuits are the *sole* reason malpractice insurance goes up, surely the stock market investments have something to do with it as well. But that also accounts only for actual court-directed verdicts. Don't forget, nowadays a lot of companies settle out of court, and I believe the judgements aren't public in that case. But they have to recoup that money somewhere.

jmcc: But I'm sure Eli Whitney used macaroni SOMETIME! It's a metaphor for the glittering life of the inventor of the macaroni gin. Or something like that...

[quote name='helava']The issue with stem cell research isn't funding, it's availability of lines of stem cells.[/quote]

They're both issues. Availability is the lesser of the two. As long as funding is available, there would be people who would be willing to donate the necessary cells (and fill out the paperwork authorizing such.) Without sufficient funding, however, new advances in medical technology based on stem cell research will either be drastically delayed or simply remain undiscovered. While we are at the forefront of many fields of scientific research, we are by no means the only contenders. Realistically, if this drought in political backing continues, the plethora of medical discoveries (treatments, medications, etc.) derived from stem cells will simply arise in other countries. And then we can all enjoy the ensuing visits abroad to seek treatment.

[addendum: you might consider availability to be a choking-point because the legality of using embryonic cells at all might be in question. But, as others have already pointed out, how can you gush about the sanctity of life that's being violated....and then proceed to destroy/throw away the very same cells?]

Kerry won't be able to push a National Assault Weapons ban to law.

The NRA's influence in Congress, and its very deep pockets, will ensure that assault weapons remain legal for law abiding citizens. I would be interested to know what Kerry's history is with the NRA.

... and for the record, I'm anti-assault weapon and pretty much anti-gun as well.

[quote name='ZarathosNY'][quote name='Squirms']IMO the problem with healthcare is that doctors need to spend so much money on their malpractice insurance, because trial lawyers are constantly suing them over issues that have no merit. If we begin to hold these lawyers accountable for wasting the courts time, and impose limits on how much damages can be awarded, then the cost of healthcare will decline sharply to the point where anyone with a job can afford it.
This country has gotten sue crazy, and because of this costs of everything are rising at an alarming rate. I would support anyone that would stand up and say that enough is enough, and finally curb this litigation frenzy. Unfortunatlely neither side has a real stong stand on this, just vagueries, and double talk.[/quote]

Lawsuits are NOT the reason malpractice insurance is going up. Payouts for lawsuits have been going down. The reason that they go up is that insurance companies were taking a beating on investing their money in the stock market, so to make up the difference, they jacked up their premiums.[/quote]

That won't fly. The problem was already in place before the market cratered.

[quote name='helava']The issue with stem cell research isn't funding, it's availability of lines of stem cells. If an embryo isn't going to be implanted, the alternatives are to dispose of them, or use them for research. Because of a completely ideologically driven Bush Adminstration, that's afraid to offend the radical right-wing religious kooks, they've said that they'd rather just throw those embryos out, than use them for science, because they're "sacred human life blabbity blah."

Now, if I were an embryo, and hell, just for laughs, say I was completely sentient, and were able to decide my own fate, my option would be science, not the dumpster.

But hell, that's just my opinion.

seppo[/quote]

As a matter of fact, the issue is funding. There is nothing preventing private enterprises from doing all the stem cell research they want including the obtaining of sperm and ova to produce in vitro embryos to be harvested for their cells. Currently biotech is attracting more VC input and other investment than any other field.

The issue here so far as presidential candidates goes is soley one of federal funding. I'm all for stem cell research but I'm also against federal handouts of just about every description. Left to its own devices private enterprise will do the job just fine on its own so long as the promise of a profitable product exists.

Don't be swayed by those promising miracles. Some of the field's most ardent supporters find many of the claims very doubtful. Ron Reagan Jr.'s speech last night was disingenuous in the extreme. Stem cell research will almost certainly lead to major new therapies eventually but much of the promises are just going to lead to more questions like, "Where's my flying car? They promised us flying cars."

My apologies. You are in fact correct, that the issue here is federal funding. However, I still don't understand why we're basically handicapping research on viable, usable human stem cells, that are simply going to be thrown out, if not used for research. That aspect of this issue is solely Bush's doing. The notion that private industry will/can fill in for federal funding isn't necessarily true. Many private companies will *not* finance pure research, which is fundamentally necessary in the early stages of development. Until there's potential for commercializing a technology, *many* companies won't bother with it.

seppo

If this is our chance to convert you, why are you saying that after the RNC you'll talk about why Bush is a better candidate. Seems to me like you've already made up your mind and you're just trolling here.

[quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll']If this is our chance to convert you, why are you saying that after the RNC you'll talk about why Bush is a better candidate. Seems to me like you've already made up your mind and you're just trolling here.[/quote]

I think he was looking for specifics. Not he is not Bush, or Kerry will bring out troops home. Kerry is very vague in what he says, and changes his stance based on who he is talking too. I would like to see specifics on how Kerry will accomplish what he says.

[quote name='helava']My apologies. You are in fact correct, that the issue here is federal funding. However, I still don't understand why we're basically handicapping research on viable, usable human stem cells, that are simply going to be thrown out, if not used for research. That aspect of this issue is solely Bush's doing. The notion that private industry will/can fill in for federal funding isn't necessarily true. Many private companies will *not* finance pure research, which is fundamentally necessary in the early stages of development. Until there's potential for commercializing a technology, *many* companies won't bother with it.

seppo[/quote]

And those companies won't reap the rewards. This is exactly how the system works. You can't win a bet if you never put any chips in the pot.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='helava']My apologies. You are in fact correct, that the issue here is federal funding. However, I still don't understand why we're basically handicapping research on viable, usable human stem cells, that are simply going to be thrown out, if not used for research. That aspect of this issue is solely Bush's doing. The notion that private industry will/can fill in for federal funding isn't necessarily true. Many private companies will *not* finance pure research, which is fundamentally necessary in the early stages of development. Until there's potential for commercializing a technology, *many* companies won't bother with it.

seppo[/quote]

And those companies won't reap the rewards. This is exactly how the system works. You can't win a bet if you never put any chips in the pot.[/quote]

Almost all drug companies use their profits for research. So lowering the price on them wouldnt be very helpful.

[quote name='BigNick'][quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll']If this is our chance to convert you, why are you saying that after the RNC you'll talk about why Bush is a better candidate. Seems to me like you've already made up your mind and you're just trolling here.[/quote]

I think he was looking for specifics. Not he is not Bush, or Kerry will bring out troops home. Kerry is very vague in what he says, and changes his stance based on who he is talking too. I would like to see specifics on how Kerry will accomplish what he says.[/quote]

My point was that he's already saying that after the RNC he's going to talk about why Bush is better, so it's obviously impossible for anyone to change his mind between now and then, so what's the point of this topic besides just trying to stir people up?

[quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll'][quote name='BigNick'][quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll']If this is our chance to convert you, why are you saying that after the RNC you'll talk about why Bush is a better candidate. Seems to me like you've already made up your mind and you're just trolling here.[/quote]

I think he was looking for specifics. Not he is not Bush, or Kerry will bring out troops home. Kerry is very vague in what he says, and changes his stance based on who he is talking too. I would like to see specifics on how Kerry will accomplish what he says.[/quote]

My point was that he's already saying that after the RNC he's going to talk about why Bush is better, so it's obviously impossible for anyone to change his mind between now and then, so what's the point of this topic besides just trying to stir people up?[/quote]

People are alreasdy stired up. No one is going to change anyones mind anyway.

Re: stem cell research - I'm asking because I don't know but is there a difference regarding patents when medical research is privately funded versus federally funded? I know a pharmaceutical company would have to produce the drug either way, but if the discovery was federally funded would there still be a long term patent given?

[quote name='MrBadExample']Re: stem cell research - I'm asking because I don't know but is there a difference regarding patents when medical research is privately funded versus federally funded? I know a pharmaceutical company would have to produce the drug either way, but if the discovery was federally funded would there still be a long term patent given?[/quote]

yes. There would probably be royalty clauses.

its really troubling how obsessed Americans are with not paying tax. I know its part the whole national history but its seems like its also the primary reason the country is ideologically devided. Industrialised peoples all over the world recognise that properly funding their governments can establish not only immediate social benifits but extrodinarily long lasting ones aswell. For God's sake look at the Swedes! When you groan about how much of "your money" comes out of your wages, ask yourself how much youd make without a centralised government? Do you really have no confidence in your society? Had you really rather go it alone? Anyways I just couldnt resist dropping out of "lerker" mode to respond.

P.S. John Kerry because he seems to understand that to truely love and care for his country, is to share it with the 300 some odd million other people that live there. And thats rare for politicians of both parties.

bread's done
Back