Omaha NE

eldergamer

CAGiversary!
I'm going to have the unfornuate luck of visiting omaha NE in about a week. Does anyone know if there are gamecrazys or other good stores in the area to pick up any deals?
Thanks.

Don't know about gamestores aside from EB, but you should check out Family Fun Center if you have a bit of time. Two story arcade full of domestic and import goodness.

[quote name='b0bx13']Don't know about gamestores aside from EB, but you should check out Family Fun Center if you have a bit of time. Two story arcade full of domestic and import goodness.[/quote]

i was born and raised in omaha (now live in KC), and i'll actually be in town this weekend. family fun center on 72 and dodge is fucking awesome. about a half a block south of there on 72nd st is a place called GAMERS (that's the big VG store in omaha, there's about 4 of them in town). make sure you have a steak at a restaurant somewhere too (corn fed beef, nothing like it). in fact, one of the best steak houses is called anthony's which is also on 72nd st! it's located on 72nd and L st, about 3 miles south of family fun center. have a fun weekend!

[quote name='eldergamer']I'm going to have the unfornuate luck of visiting omaha NE in about a week. Does anyone know if there are gamecrazys or other good stores in the area to pick up any deals?
Thanks.[/quote]

you ever been to Omaha? You should visit before you decide if you don't like it. It is a very nice city. Yes i know he posted in July :)

Oddly enough, I'm moving there in about a month (from Lincoln). At first I was a bit upset, because I figured I wouldn't be as close to a Gamers, Toys'r'us or Walmart for new releases. Turns out I'll be 10 minutes from a mall and a Gamers. Yay me!

How was Omaha?

I figured I'd bump this up to check if there are any places besides gamers where there is a chance of me picking up some classic games, like pawns or flea markets that generally have classic games stocked. I might be down that way from sioux city this weekend

Talking about 72 street what about Nebraska Furniture Mart for deals. They sometimes have awesome deals and they price match.

Wish they would open one up in Lincoln though so I didn't have to drive.

Also re: flea markets. When I had a booth at the Lincoln Expo a couple of months ago a guy was going around passing out flyers for a new flea market just opening in March. I think it was 72 and J? If anyone wants I can try to look up the info but I didn't have the time to do it every weekend so I didn't get a table.

uh thanks, but this was almost a year ago that I posted this. I've been to omaha, visited the family and have no intention of ever visiting there again. especially in july.

[quote name='eldergamer']The heat, the humidity, the same ness and blandness that seems to permeate most of the midwest.[/quote]

Maybe it's just me but whenever I hear someone generalize things like this it makes me think they have never been around.

People always say there is nothing to do in places like Omaha, Des Moines, etc..

What exactly can you do in a city like LA that you can't in Des Moines? Toss out the obvious go to the Ocean, sit in god awful traffic jams and whatever else LA has to offer. I would love to hear this answer because when I lived in San Jose I thought it blew a--. Living by St. Louis is much better than anything I came across around San Jose.

I just would like to know what the hell people in the "cool places (ie the coasts)" do that can't be done in the Midwest.

I went to Omaha last week and I have to say (aside from the awful, awful heat), it was nice.

Went to three different Gamers - seems like they'd be awesome stores to check out, but one of the three had nothing for me, one (on 72nd street, the nicest one) had BOXED INTELLIVISION GAMES (whoo!) and the other didn't have much, but I picked up an original Game Boy Game Genie (with box and codebook!) for 95 cents.

Their prices didn't seem bad though. Went to a couple of Toys R Us stores, GameStops every 10 feet... The Family Fun Center was *AWESOME* and has a 4-Player Mario Kart Arcade machine. If you like games, you must go there. Their Donkey Kong machine wasn't working, which was sad, but the 3rd Gamers I went to had one working (and it was for sale for only $700! If only I had it and wouldn't have had to somehow drive nine+ hours home with it in my Dodge Intrepid....)

Omaha also has Shop-Ko. Sometimes you can get some great deals there. By the way, I live in St Joseph, Mo but prefer to head up to Omaha than go to Kansas City. Omaha is a nice city.

Last time I went to FFC(a couple weeks ago) it sucked more balls than I remember.

Hardly any games were in complete working order, 80% of the ones I went up to just weren't plain working. Although, the Simpsons arcade game controlled fine, the graphics were wonky as hell, people's legs started disappearing, and reappearing upside down, or characters had 2 heads. That was actually kind of sweet.

Then I just played Puzzle Fighter.

It was a Friday night, so we were forced to buy a minimum amount of tokens. I will never go back there when I am forced to buy tokens I can only use on a handful of games.

[quote name='schuerm26']I just would like to know what the hell people in the "cool places (ie the coasts)" do that can't be done in the Midwest.[/quote]

well, as someone who has lived on both coasts of the USA, as well as currently residing in the midwest, I think I can certainly give you the low down.

Lets see. To start with, I grew up in the northeast sprawl, and can certainly say that there is a far more impressive nightlife, and music scene there. Same goes for LA, and Portland / Seattle. While Omaha has a decent grassroots scene, it can not even hodl a candle to the New York / Philly / Baltimore scenes. In Omaha, if your looking for local music, there are a number of small bars, where you can get up close and personal with the bands. But only a handfull of midsize venues for "bigger" bands, and we have only 2 national acceptable venues (and really, the mid american center barely even rates as such these days)

So far as "nightlife", outside of bands, your gonna find maybe a half dozen, to a dozen places in town, which are barely more than talked up bars with dj's mostly just copying what dj's on the coasts were doing last year or so. The clubs in new york, la, philly, and dc have bathrooms bigger than most of the dance floors here in omaha.

Ultimately, the major difference is the ambience, and fluidity. trends begin on the coasts, and slowly make their way to the midwest. it's a fact. so whats "cutting edge" here in omaha, will almost always be what they were doing on the coast at least a year ago.

Now, in all honesty, I really like living here in the greater Omaha area. I personally like the grassroots music scene. if i could get some decent pizza (do not say a word about Zio's either, its not bad, but not what I am looking for exactly), a real cheesesteak, and the trocadero, i would probably be totally set.

but to be fair, family fun center doesn't hold a candle to all fo the arcades you used to find rolling up and down the boardwalk in Ocean city. theres a lot to be said about being able to just go down the shore.

I'd like to echo the positive recommendation of the Gamers chain. I visit Omaha once a year for the holidays, and I try to hit all three Gamers stores when I can. The more independent shops are lost to the mall monopoly, the fewer places there are to find PS1 and Saturn games. I'm also a big 8-bit collector and I love seeing the glass cases full of Game Gear and NES cartridges. If you have to pick one, go for the one on 72nd street. Note that there are four addresses listed in the phone book, but one of them is a corporate headquarters and not a retail location.

bread's done
Back