Skies of Arcadia LEgends 24.99 used at GS/EB

Or maybe GS bought more GQD copies. Doesn't seem to be rare at all over by me, since 28 out of the 30 closest eb/gs have atleast 1 copy. Also, one of the two that doesnt have a copy, in the inventory search it says "Yes" for more copies on the way.

Shadow hearts went up from 29.99 to 34.99 to now 39.99 since they bought more GQD copies.

Toys R Us in Concord, NC has about 7 copies of this brand new for 20 I believe, maybe 30, I forget. It had a sticker just like the other games on sale right now there. They had a number of supposed rare games there still new.

This awesome game I beat it once on Dream Cast and once on Gamecube I still have my Cube Version I suggest everyone pick it up if you like RPG games one of my favorites.

I remember being really, really happy when the game because readily available again 2 1/2 years back... and I still haven't played the thing. The demo on the Dreamcast was really fucking good though.

Fantastic game, made even better when I bought it for $1 at a store in Pittsburgh. Just a great, solid RPG all around. It's a shame that most people never had a chance to play it since it's still one of the better games on the GC (regardless of the fact that it's a port).

Still worth it. I own, and almost beat, it on the Dreamcast. I found it for 10 bucks durring a sale like 2 years ago...and it is still sealed, sitting on my shelf with the couple hundred other games I bought for "cheap" but haven't had a minute to play, hahaha.

Awesome! I have a friends copy and will most likely never see him again, so I get the game for free. Time to see the crap game.

I agree, this game made me want to explore everything despite the random battles. That is until, my sister saved over my file. So technically, I've never beat this before. I almost completed every sidequest too, so close.

[quote name='Chacrana']I remember being really, really happy when the game because readily available again 2 1/2 years back... and I still haven't played the thing. The demo on the Dreamcast was really fucking good though.[/QUOTE]

Same thing with me, sort of...I bought this for $10 at Fry's about two years ago, and it's still sitting there on my game rack, unplayed. :p

[quote name='suko_32']I agree, this game made me want to explore everything despite the random battles.[/QUOTE]

Without random battles I would say the game is C+ or B-, with thoserandom battles from hell it's an F-, it's unplayable.

[quote name='slidecage']i could never get into the flying from island to island. my stupid plane wouldnt fly right LOL[/quote]

haha they teach you right at the beginning ;)

[quote name='chewster777']What's with them and uping the prices? I saw Guilty Gear X2 went up to like 29.99 and so I didn't buy it.[/quote]

Standard for both EB and GS for years, really. Game prices fluctuate due to holidays, stock available, recent sales, things like that. There have been quite a few times where some of the most expensive, "rare" games in their stock were sold for quite a low price for a while before anybody started worrying about their rarity or quality.

Oh well, something like Guilty Gear should drop again, along with most of the titles they end up jacking up. Most of the time price changes either stick around for a very long time or, at best, just a few months. Then it'll drop back to the previous price or even less.

Personally, I just wait most of them out. There are enough EBs/GSs around here that stock on almost any game is never a problem and while there are avid gamers and collectors abound they don't swarm stores as if it was Black Friday or something.

[quote name='David85']Without random battles I would say the game is C+ or B-, with thoserandom battles from hell it's an F-, it's unplayable.[/quote]
I see a lot of complaints about the frequency of the random battles, which were more than they needed to be for sure. But, for 95% of the game you would have one character who could do a special attack that could kill almost every monster in one round by themselves. Once that character had a full screen attack, about 1/3rd through the game, my random battles turned into having everybody block and then the one character unleash the one special attack - every monster died. Those random battles took about 5 seconds to win.

My problem with the game was the difficulty level. Everything was so easy. They put in those myriad of random battles and yet you could win them in one single attack. The bosses were also too easy, since you could generally win by using two special attacks each round: one that negates all magic and one that removes all maladies, everybody else just attacks.

Despite that, I'd say the game deserves a B-/B. Worth playing, but not a FF or Suikoden or anything.

[quote name='pinoy530']Or maybe GS bought more GQD copies. Doesn't seem to be rare at all over by me, since 28 out of the 30 closest eb/gs have atleast 1 copy. Also, one of the two that doesnt have a copy, in the inventory search it says "Yes" for more copies on the way.

Shadow hearts went up from 29.99 to 34.99 to now 39.99 since they bought more GQD copies.[/quote]

I think people are to quick to assume it is a GQD reprint. Pretty much everytime a somewhat rare game pops up in places. Why would they reprint this? There would have been absolutely no reason to. It is a very common game. Same with Shadow Hearts. Why would they reprint that? It's not that hard to find and hasn't ever really gotten above $50 or so dollars on ebay. It would make no sense to reprint those.

[quote name='tiktok0']I see a lot of complaints about the frequency of the random battles, which were more than they needed to be for sure. But, for 95% of the game you would have one character who could do a special attack that could kill almost every monster in one round by themselves. Once that character had a full screen attack, about 1/3rd through the game, my random battles turned into having everybody block and then the one character unleash the one special attack - every monster died. Those random battles took about 5 seconds to win.

My problem with the game was the difficulty level. Everything was so easy. They put in those myriad of random battles and yet you could win them in one single attack. The bosses were also too easy, since you could generally win by using two special attacks each round: one that negates all magic and one that removes all maladies, everybody else just attacks.

Despite that, I'd say the game deserves a B-/B. Worth playing, but not a FF or Suikoden or anything.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree with you, not to mention once you get the white cap? (makes random battles MUCH less) it won't be very tedious and also once you receive the delphinus, you dont' even have to worry about random battles anymore

It's games like Skies, Chu-Chu Rocket, Resident Evil Code Veronica (at the time it was only for DC), Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Shenmue, etc. that made me love my Dreamcast even if it was short lived. It even had on-line play through a modem :D

If your into RPG's, this game needs to be played.

Gamestop/eb jack up the cost for all those so called "rare" games.Most of these price hike are within 1-2 months

marvel vs capcom 2
old price-$50
new price-$60
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=938470
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=950290

zelda collector's
old price-$40
new price-$45
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=916358

zelda master quest
old price-$30
newprice-$40
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=916082

zone of enders
old price-$25
new price-$35
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=938521

shadow hearts 1
old price-$25
new price-$40
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=938299

[quote name='tiktok0']I see a lot of complaints about the frequency of the random battles, which were more than they needed to be for sure. But, for 95% of the game you would have one character who could do a special attack that could kill almost every monster in one round by themselves. Once that character had a full screen attack, about 1/3rd through the game, my random battles turned into having everybody block and then the one character unleash the one special attack - every monster died. Those random battles took about 5 seconds to win.

Despite that, I'd say the game deserves a B-/B. Worth playing, but not a FF or Suikoden or anything.[/QUOTE]

I think I played the game for about an hour and wanted to throw i in the trash. It's a terribly made game. SoA and Eternal Darkness are both called these amazing games. I would like to know why. Both are so badly made that you can't play them. ED has a terrible camra that makes the game imposible and SoA has the dumbass battles. it's not that the battles would be hard it's the fact it took me out of the game. I would be having fun flying the boat around and every 10 seconds there would be a random battle. The setup to the battle would take longer than the battle. The game is supposed to make you feel like you are in that universe and anytime I started to get that feeling those pointless battles would show up.

This game is awesome. I enjoyed the added content in the GCN release, plus they lowered the random encounter rate a bit. If you thought the GCN's rate was bad, don't even take a look at the DC version.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This game is awesome. I enjoyed the added content in the GCN release, plus they lowered the random encounter rate a bit. If you thought the GCN's rate was bad, don't even take a look at the DC version.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing (the DC encounter rate was higher than the GC version).
I played thru the DC version a few years back.
I haven't gotten a chance to play the GC version (didn't feel like replaying the whole game just to play a few side missions).

It's a fun RPG to play through. It's not the best by any means but for RPG fans it's a must play. I liked the story line and pretty much everything about the game except for the random encounters. I'm lucky I got this brand new for 15 bucks.

[quote name='David85']I think I played the game for about an hour and wanted to throw i in the trash. It's a terribly made game. SoA and Eternal Darkness are both called these amazing games. I would like to know why. Both are so badly made that you can't play them. ED has a terrible camra that makes the game imposible and SoA has the dumbass battles. it's not that the battles would be hard it's the fact it took me out of the game. I would be having fun flying the boat around and every 10 seconds there would be a random battle. The setup to the battle would take longer than the battle. The game is supposed to make you feel like you are in that universe and anytime I started to get that feeling those pointless battles would show up.[/quote]

shutmouth.jpg

[quote name='Fatesealer']I favor the cover art of the DC version versus the fanartlike GC cover.[/quote]

Very nice point. The GCN cover looked like something that someone would whip up in Graphic Arts 101.

I really liked this game on the Dreamcast, I think it was the graphics and the music during the time. The random battles were annoying, but helped pump up the experience points and besides just had to fly really high or low to avoid most of the battles. :)

I was thinking of buying Skies of Arcadia Legends, Zelda Collector's Disc, and MasterQuest/Ocarina of Time at my local EB/GS, but with them raising their prices all the time I guess I'll have to settle for my DC version and the Zelda's on the early systems. No master quest or extra content in Skies for me! :(

also the DC version I heard is the superior version. I owned it back then so I can't remember much now. In terms if sound quality that is since the gamecube is compressed onto 1 disc making it lose quality....

[quote name='David85']I think I played the game for about an hour and wanted to throw i in the trash. It's a terribly made game. SoA and Eternal Darkness are both called these amazing games. I would like to know why. Both are so badly made that you can't play them. ED has a terrible camra that makes the game imposible and SoA has the dumbass battles. it's not that the battles would be hard it's the fact it took me out of the game. I would be having fun flying the boat around and every 10 seconds there would be a random battle. The setup to the battle would take longer than the battle. The game is supposed to make you feel like you are in that universe and anytime I started to get that feeling those pointless battles would show up.[/QUOTE]

Finally! Someone else that can't understand the love for these two games... I literally had to force myself through every minute of the 40+ hours I put into Skies. And why people love Eternal Darkness is the game's greatest insanity effect.

[quote name='CaoPi']also the DC version I heard is the superior version. I owned it back then so I can't remember much now. In terms if sound quality that is since the gamecube is compressed onto 1 disc making it lose quality....[/quote] Yeah, that's my biggest gripe with Legends. It's an excellent soundtrack ruined by serious downsampling.

[quote name='viewtiful7']And why people love Eternal Darkness is the game's greatest insanity effect.[/QUOTE]

They like the game because of a shity camra?

And why did you play 40 hours of Skies when you hated it?

[quote name='David85']I think I played the game for about an hour and wanted to throw i in the trash. It's a terribly made game. SoA and Eternal Darkness are both called these amazing games. I would like to know why. Both are so badly made that you can't play them. ED has a terrible camra that makes the game imposible and SoA has the dumbass battles. it's not that the battles would be hard it's the fact it took me out of the game. I would be having fun flying the boat around and every 10 seconds there would be a random battle. The setup to the battle would take longer than the battle. The game is supposed to make you feel like you are in that universe and anytime I started to get that feeling those pointless battles would show up.[/quote]

thank you, totally agree with you, all those stupid battles took me out of the game. After multiple days of me coming back to it i finally just said screw it not worth it, plus the story wasn't even that good to me anyways.

What is with everyone always bitching about random battles? Jesus Christ people, it's not that hard to fix. I suggest you invest in an Action Replay, next time you find some annoying flaw in your game chances are you can fix it with an AR. They're available everywhere and fairly cheap as well.

Here...
No Random Battles
NZWZ-EGFX-GG8HU
27R6-1TWE-V1M4M

Now go buy the damn game!

[quote name='David85']And why did you play 40 hours of Skies when you hated it?[/QUOTE]

Because people kept saying it got better... then I think it got to the point where I was playing just because it mystified me why people loved it so much and wanted to be able to legitimately say I hated it. Well at some point I couldn't take it anymore, and it's never seen the light of day since.

I agree that the random battles were kind of annoying but other than that I thought it was a great game. Good battle system (though it needed a little balancing), excellent excellent story, good graphics, good music, overall a very fun RPG.

I dont know why I never had any of these problems with random battles. Every RPG I play has random battles. The only game that isn't so random is Tales of Symphonia and that is cause you can see the battles. I found this game awesome I loved it and wished they made a sequel.

I don't know - the random battles never bothered me when I beat Skies back on the Dreamcast, but that's probably because I grew up playing the Phantasy Star games on the Sega Master System & Genesis. I guess expectations really change depending on when you got into RPGs. I bought Skies on day 1 and was amazed by all of the environments that were created in real-time. Also, I recall really enjoying the music and ship-to-ship battles. Maybe I'll track down the Gamecube version just to see if I still feel the same way.

[quote name='coolz481']I don't know - the random battles never bothered me when I beat Skies back on the Dreamcast, but that's probably because I grew up playing the Phantasy Star games on the Sega Master System & Genesis. I guess expectations really change depending on when you got into RPGs. I bought Skies on day 1 and was amazed by all of the environments that were created in real-time. Also, I recall really enjoying the music and ship-to-ship battles. Maybe I'll track down the Gamecube version just to see if I still feel the same way.[/quote]

Theres quite a few sealed copies on ebay for about $30 after shipping if you're looking for it. I played the DC version and fell in love with it, then i bought it for the GC which had quite a few extra things thrown in there, better graphics too *not much but better* i didn't notice anything wrong with the sound, the random battles arent' that bad especially after you get the full screen specials. Ship to ship battles were some of the best i've ever played *well they were the only ones but STILL* they were wicked awesome :D

[quote name='coolz481']I don't know - the random battles never bothered me when I beat Skies back on the Dreamcast, but that's probably because I grew up playing the Phantasy Star games on the Sega Master System & Genesis. I guess expectations really change depending on when you got into RPGs. I bought Skies on day 1 and was amazed by all of the environments that were created in real-time. Also, I recall really enjoying the music and ship-to-ship battles. Maybe I'll track down the Gamecube version just to see if I still feel the same way.[/quote]

I really like this game. I feel like you get random battles with all of these RPG type games. Plus the game gets easier when you develop your charactes who can wipe out most of the enemies in one shot. How else would you develop your characters for the stronger bosses.

[quote name='maigoyume']Theres quite a few sealed copies on ebay for about $30 after shipping if you're looking for it. I played the DC version and fell in love with it, then i bought it for the GC which had quite a few extra things thrown in there, better graphics too *not much but better* i didn't notice anything wrong with the sound, the random battles arent' that bad especially after you get the full screen specials. Ship to ship battles were some of the best i've ever played *well they were the only ones but STILL* they were wicked awesome :D[/quote]

Since you have played both is the GC version really worth it?

I have it for the DC and was wondering if it was even worth getting the GC one.

What new content did they end up adding?

bread's done
Back