Skies of Arcadia LEgends 24.99 used at GS/EB

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:36 PM

It's a fun RPG to play through. It's not the best by any means but for RPG fans it's a must play. I liked the story line and pretty much everything about the game except for the random encounters. I'm lucky I got this brand new for 15 bucks.

#32 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:55 PM

I think I played the game for about an hour and wanted to throw i in the trash. It's a terribly made game. SoA and Eternal Darkness are both called these amazing games. I would like to know why. Both are so badly made that you can't play them. ED has a terrible camra that makes the game imposible and SoA has the dumbass battles. it's not that the battles would be hard it's the fact it took me out of the game. I would be having fun flying the boat around and every 10 seconds there would be a random battle. The setup to the battle would take longer than the battle. The game is supposed to make you feel like you are in that universe and anytime I started to get that feeling those pointless battles would show up.

Posted Image

#33 Fatesealer

Fatesealer

Game spoiling expert :-(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:59 PM

I favor the cover art of the DC version versus the fanartlike GC cover.
Posted Image

#34 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:49 PM

I favor the cover art of the DC version versus the fanartlike GC cover.

Very nice point. The GCN cover looked like something that someone would whip up in Graphic Arts 101.

#35 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:23 PM

I really liked this game on the Dreamcast, I think it was the graphics and the music during the time. The random battles were annoying, but helped pump up the experience points and besides just had to fly really high or low to avoid most of the battles. :)

I was thinking of buying Skies of Arcadia Legends, Zelda Collector's Disc, and MasterQuest/Ocarina of Time at my local EB/GS, but with them raising their prices all the time I guess I'll have to settle for my DC version and the Zelda's on the early systems. No master quest or extra content in Skies for me! :(

#36 CaoPi

CaoPi

KOEI fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:54 PM

also the DC version I heard is the superior version. I owned it back then so I can't remember much now. In terms if sound quality that is since the gamecube is compressed onto 1 disc making it lose quality....

MY TRADE LIST ------ (pictures included)

#37 viewtiful7

viewtiful7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:12 AM

I think I played the game for about an hour and wanted to throw i in the trash. It's a terribly made game. SoA and Eternal Darkness are both called these amazing games. I would like to know why. Both are so badly made that you can't play them. ED has a terrible camra that makes the game imposible and SoA has the dumbass battles. it's not that the battles would be hard it's the fact it took me out of the game. I would be having fun flying the boat around and every 10 seconds there would be a random battle. The setup to the battle would take longer than the battle. The game is supposed to make you feel like you are in that universe and anytime I started to get that feeling those pointless battles would show up.

Finally! Someone else that can't understand the love for these two games... I literally had to force myself through every minute of the 40+ hours I put into Skies. And why people love Eternal Darkness is the game's greatest insanity effect.

#38 Allnatural

Allnatural

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:35 AM

also the DC version I heard is the superior version. I owned it back then so I can't remember much now. In terms if sound quality that is since the gamecube is compressed onto 1 disc making it lose quality....

Yeah, that's my biggest gripe with Legends. It's an excellent soundtrack ruined by serious downsampling.

#39 Silencer

Silencer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:46 AM

I own the GC version -- the game is all right, detested the lame ship battles though.

#40 David85

David85

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:59 AM

And why people love Eternal Darkness is the game's greatest insanity effect.

They like the game because of a shity camra?

And why did you play 40 hours of Skies when you hated it?
"It (Wii) would be a complete failure if we didn't sell more units than the Nintendo GameCube". - Satoru Iwata 2005

"If you asked me if Sony's strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true." - Ken Kutaragi 9-9-06

Finally they speak the truth.

#41 sabo

sabo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:13 AM

thank you, totally agree with you, all those stupid battles took me out of the game. After multiple days of me coming back to it i finally just said screw it not worth it, plus the story wasn't even that good to me anyways.

#42 viewtiful7

viewtiful7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:12 PM

And why did you play 40 hours of Skies when you hated it?

Because people kept saying it got better... then I think it got to the point where I was playing just because it mystified me why people loved it so much and wanted to be able to legitimately say I hated it. Well at some point I couldn't take it anymore, and it's never seen the light of day since.

#43 rlse9

rlse9

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:01 PM

I agree that the random battles were kind of annoying but other than that I thought it was a great game. Good battle system (though it needed a little balancing), excellent excellent story, good graphics, good music, overall a very fun RPG.

#44 Bazz

Bazz

SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:58 PM

I dont know why I never had any of these problems with random battles. Every RPG I play has random battles. The only game that isn't so random is Tales of Symphonia and that is cause you can see the battles. I found this game awesome I loved it and wished they made a sequel.

I need 1 more sign up if anyone could help please. http://www.yourfree360games.com/index.php?ref=244985
SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com-Do me a favor and check it out. Would love to hear your feedback;)

#45 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:16 PM

I don't know - the random battles never bothered me when I beat Skies back on the Dreamcast, but that's probably because I grew up playing the Phantasy Star games on the Sega Master System & Genesis. I guess expectations really change depending on when you got into RPGs. I bought Skies on day 1 and was amazed by all of the environments that were created in real-time. Also, I recall really enjoying the music and ship-to-ship battles. Maybe I'll track down the Gamecube version just to see if I still feel the same way.

#46 maigoyume

maigoyume

The Lost Dreamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:10 AM

I don't know - the random battles never bothered me when I beat Skies back on the Dreamcast, but that's probably because I grew up playing the Phantasy Star games on the Sega Master System & Genesis. I guess expectations really change depending on when you got into RPGs. I bought Skies on day 1 and was amazed by all of the environments that were created in real-time. Also, I recall really enjoying the music and ship-to-ship battles. Maybe I'll track down the Gamecube version just to see if I still feel the same way.

Theres quite a few sealed copies on ebay for about $30 after shipping if you're looking for it. I played the DC version and fell in love with it, then i bought it for the GC which had quite a few extra things thrown in there, better graphics too *not much but better* i didn't notice anything wrong with the sound, the random battles arent' that bad especially after you get the full screen specials. Ship to ship battles were some of the best i've ever played *well they were the only ones but STILL* they were wicked awesome :D

#47 cisco49

cisco49

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:03 PM

I really like this game. I feel like you get random battles with all of these RPG type games. Plus the game gets easier when you develop your charactes who can wipe out most of the enemies in one shot. How else would you develop your characters for the stronger bosses.

#48 WarlordFDC

WarlordFDC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:00 PM

Theres quite a few sealed copies on ebay for about $30 after shipping if you're looking for it. I played the DC version and fell in love with it, then i bought it for the GC which had quite a few extra things thrown in there, better graphics too *not much but better* i didn't notice anything wrong with the sound, the random battles arent' that bad especially after you get the full screen specials. Ship to ship battles were some of the best i've ever played *well they were the only ones but STILL* they were wicked awesome :D

Since you have played both is the GC version really worth it?

I have it for the DC and was wondering if it was even worth getting the GC one.

What new content did they end up adding?

#49 maigoyume

maigoyume

The Lost Dreamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:54 PM

Since you have played both is the GC version really worth it?

I have it for the DC and was wondering if it was even worth getting the GC one.

What new content did they end up adding?

You know that scar on Vyse's cheek that you never knew how he got it, theres this really lengthy sidequest that shows you exactly how it happened. I won't spoil it for you unless you want me to, also its possible to get all the chams in this one without going online to download hamachou island which is connected to the "scar quest" which pretty much spans most of the game. Besides that there are bounty quests, where you can hunt down pirates with bounties on their heads and try and take'em down, theres some guys pretending to be you, and theres also Lord Zivilyn Bane who IMO is just sick, its also MUCH MUCH harder to get the Legend rank, in the dc version i didn't even try and achieved it. All in all I think it was worth the purchase, sure its just like an updated version, but it had enough new things to satisfy me, hope this helps.

Edit: Oh that you can get some really crazy items from the sidequest, my vyse was dealing 4k with pirates wrath

#50 Giygas

Giygas

UniversalCosmicDestroyer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:46 PM

Arg I bought this game on impulse because it was just after the reprint and I thought it was rare. Not that I didn't want it, I just was way more excited than I should have been when I got it.