Planescape Torment -- legal download somewhere?

WildWop

CAGiversary!
I'm looking to play Planescape Torment, but I don't want to (1) attempt to find it in a store (2) hit eBay or (3) order it online and have it shipped.

Does anyone know of a place where I can purchase older PC games and download them instead of buying the disc?

wow that's a pretty old game, I can only find illegal downloads, try the site of the company or gamespot, they seem to be putting alot of video game downloads up for $20

The answer is no, you will have to buy a disc copy- the company is out of business- so buy some lube and go to ebay.

Fry's Electronics might have it in store at the jewel case games section, you might want to check that out if you have a Fry's nearby.

Damn- didn't think of Fry's- though they don't have any copies that I've seen at the WA Fry's- try Oregon / Cali

I've seen it in some bargin bins somewhere. Great game by the way....I got my money's worth from my copy.

They used to sell these in a 2-pack with Soulbringer at Best Buy. I dunno if they still sell them now, but it was originally $20, and then it hit $10 IIRC.

[quote name='whitereflection']They used to sell these in a 2-pack with Soulbringer at Best Buy. I dunno if they still sell them now, but it was originally $20, and then it hit $10 IIRC.[/quote]

Yeah, this how I obtained my copy of this game a few years ago. I think I got it at Wal-Mart, too.

Holy crap that game shot up in price. I eyeballed it for the longest since I love Black Isle. It used to be availabe from amazon.com and nothingbutsofware.com for like 6-10 bucks. Either as the double pack or single now nothing but sofware wants 60 for the stand alone and amazon wants the dual for around 25 thru private sellers. Thats a heck of a jump in less then a year.

Not to hijack the thread but didn't a lot of the Black Isle people get absorbed by BioWare? The company thats gonna make me buy an XBOX 360 because of Mass Effect.

[quote name='ne2eire']The 2 disc one is the shitty version with shorter/poor quality animations. The 4 disc version is the one you want.[/quote]

Do you have any evidence whatsoever to support this? I own both versions and have done direct comparisons: they are exactly the same. The only reason one version is only 2 CDs is because new compression techniques were used. This does not degrade quality - in the same way that putting a file into a WinZip or WinRar archive does not do anything to it other than decrease its size. Also, a lot of files on the 4 individual disks of the original release were duplicate area files from previous disks (when the player could return to some previously visited areas on other disks) which further saved space once those duplicates no longer had to be spread across 4 disks.

Woah, it did shoot up! When I traded my copy more than a year ago, I traded the 4-disc complete copy with the giant box for a mint Kingdom Hearts: CoM + guide. I thought it was great deal at the time, and it was... but it would've been better if I kept it now. Ah well.

I had a compendium of the Greatest RPG Archives that I bought for $10 at Kaybee some years back. That shot up in price, and I sold it for like $60 or so as well, considering I never played it (old school PC RPGs, like Wizardry 1 - Gold; M&M, Stonekeep, etc)

[quote name='NoRain']Not to hijack the thread but didn't a lot of the Black Isle people get absorbed by BioWare? The company thats gonna make me buy an XBOX 360 because of Mass Effect.[/quote]

No, they formed Obsidian Entertaiment. Which, coincidently made sequels to 2 BioWare Games (Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2). They are now working on a Sega Game I beleive.

Brian Fargo, who used to run Interplay who owned Black Isle created inXile Entertainment...Creators of The Bards Tale.

it used to be at gogamer, but no longer.

Yeah try for the 2 pack with soulbringer at fry's or walmart but that reprint was years ago.

It doesnt look THAT bad on ebay. $35 or so, but some went for $50 complete.

If you like this try arcanum of steamworks and magik obscura. Or Kotor. Or Baldurs gate. Very similar games.

Sheesh i still have the discs and manual, but no longer have the cardboard box(i think). The money some people are paying is just nutty.

I wish there was a reprint for this game or something. All the online copies for download are questionable. I guess I could wait until game goes onto the "free" section of gametap. Anyone know if there are any free trials for gold?

bread's done
Back