Any CAG tips for xbox repair?

V

Virtua

my xbox is only just over two years old, but for about a year now it's been doing that stupid problem where the dvd tray doesn't want to come out of the system, so you tap the top or the front of the tray and it finally comes out. Well now i'm getting the "this disc is dirty or damaged" at least half the time i try to load most games. Once they loaded, they used to play just fine.

It didn't bother me, kinda like the old NES having to keep powering on until you didn't get a flashing screen. But i finally found a copy of psychonauts and with this game, the audio/voice acting skips HORRIBLY to where you can't hear any of it. Also character animations don't happen all the time, instead of walking, characters just slide along the ground in a frozen pose.

Could the disc be screwy, or is there anything I can do to help my xbox? I've already gone through one system, and bought this one brand new.. $150 is a lot of money. (if only MS would get off their ass and make Psychonauts BC)

I actually repaired 2 xbox disc drives, it is not that difficult to take it all apart and re-adjust the laser. Also it is easy to clean the lens if you take apart the dvd-drive assembly, just use some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. Like the above poster said, you need a 10 Torx screwdrive to get into the xbox and some phillips head ones to unscrew parts and take apart the dvd drive. Check out the llama site, but if you need more help you can ask me a question

I would check out Game Tech in downtown milwaukee, had my DVD drive repaired by them a few months ago and it works great. Price is very reasonable and the do a clean job. Plus its so much nicer to deal locally rather than shipping it out. Here's the website...

www.gametechsales.com

Rock On!
James

Sometimes you can get a quick fix by just taking apart the XBox case and pushing down on the top of the DVD rom a bit. Obviously, make sure there's not a game in it. I've done this on countless CD rom drives in comps and then on my friend's XBox. For some reason, the top case of ROM drives just tend to either warp up a fraction or else pushing them down seems to help the laser read better.

Obviously, you're best bet is replacing the drive and if you try this, test it out with a crappy title.

[quote name='Rodster']Great site, they pretty much sell everything for the Xbox.[/quote]

Thanks for the link. Today, after having my XBox for over a year used, the DVD-Rom drive quit opening and it wouldn't read Amped 2. I did the paper clip trick and noticed the drive wasn't aligned correctly (although sadly, the site didn't mention how to allign the Samsung drive.) I got Amped 2 to start, played a bit, cleaned the system off, set it back on the shelf and then in a state of curiousity, pressed the open button... and the drive's opening and closing again fine. :???:

bread's done
Back