Cuss words on TV that they can get away with now

ITDEFX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I was watching tonight's presentation of Phonebooth on FX...man they can say words like A**hole and shit like that on cable... on local channels (NBC/ABC,etc) they can say bitch (Or SOB), and so on...

Things I know they sensor are words like fuck (but usually the bleeper doesn't get all of it so it sounds like FUUUC***beep****)

I know Jesus is bleeped or muted..........what else is sensored on tv and what is now on the ok list that wasn't on the ok list?

Sometimes, it seems like it depends on the station. I try my best not to watch most movies on channels like TBS, USA, TNT, etc. Because they butcher the hell out of it.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Sometimes, it seems like it depends on the station. I try my best not to watch most movies on channels like TBS, USA, TNT, etc. Because they butcher the hell out of it.[/QUOTE]

the only time i watch is when it's so heavily edited that it becomes amusing... i.e. big lebowski on cable

"Shut the freak up Donnie!"

i wish there was more profanity on tv

[quote name='PKRipp3r']the only time i watch is when it's so heavily edited that it becomes amusing... i.e. big lebowski on cable

i wish there was more profanity on tv[/quote]

To me, the only time its amusing is when they use someone that sounds nothing like the actor to overdub. Though when its bleeped out, it can be hilarious...

NYPD Blue was the only broadcast show that I know that made use of asshole (and shit I think). I was surprised when I heard f-bombs on Comedy Central a while back.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']NYPD Blue was the only broadcast show that I know that made use of asshole (and shit I think). I was surprised when I heard f-bombs on Comedy Central a while back.[/quote]

Unless it was during their Secret Stash, they dropped some major titanium balls lol

[quote name='PKRipp3r']the only time i watch is when it's so heavily edited that it becomes amusing... i.e. big lebowski on cable

[/QUOTE]

"This is what happens when you find a stanger in the alps!"

Comedic gold.

NYPD Blue also had a few mentions of "dickhead" as well, where appropriate. It's typically censored in the TNT reairings, though, although they leave enough that you know what it is.

Also, TBS shies away from profanity but whenever they show Mr. Show with Bob & David it depends. The censors missed a few words in some episodes so "shit" and "fuck" have come through several times.

Nip/Tuck says shit all the time on F/X.

I also find it funny that often when someone says Goddamnit, God is the part that is censored.

I never watch movies on TV unless their completely uncut for some special reason (Saving Private Ryan on Veterans Day, for example.) I want the full experience.

But yeah, I've been noticing that cable is becoming more lenient when it comes to swearing lately. I think anytime after 11 o'clock is when they're allowed to say shit.

[quote name='d00k']I never watch movies on TV unless their completely uncut for some special reason (Saving Private Ryan on Veterans Day, for example.) I want the full experience.

But yeah, I've been noticing that cable is becoming more lenient when it comes to swearing lately. I think anytime after 11 o'clock is when they're allowed to say shit.[/QUOTE]

On cable they can say anything they want to at any time because the FCC does not regulate cable.(and they should regulate anything.)

i know when they show Futurama on Adult Swim they edit Sweet Zombie Jesus, well just the jesus part. Though I am pretty sure it aired regularly on Fox

Actually networks have done the f word. I remember watching an episode of "3rd Rock From the Sun" and thought to myself "Did I just hear what I thought I did?". Yes it was the f word. I didn't hear ANY bleeping of it.

Its funny how the FCC can fine Howard Stern for all that shit he says and does on radio and the superbowl incident with jackson, but now they can get away with saying fuck with no problems hehe..

[quote name='ITDEFX']Its funny how the FCC can fine Howard Stern for all that shit he says and does on radio and the superbowl incident with jackson, but now they can get away with saying fuck with no problems hehe..[/QUOTE]

Like i said before they only have power over free tv not pay tv

On the local public access channel on Fridays they show a heavy metal program hopsetd by some old guy who looks like living death.

They had a band on last week that dropped the f bomb every other second and not a singlle one was bleeped.

[quote name='Vyrtigo']
I also find it funny that often when someone says Goddamnit, God is the part that is censored.[/QUOTE]

I was going to say that exact thing. I wonder if they realize that they are censoring God...

My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE censored dub is from one of the Die Hard movies, the one with the plane and it's winter or something. I hadn't ever seen it so I'm not sure.

Anyway, I know what the line really is, but Willis definitely jumped out of the plane and said something like "Yippie-kay-yay, Mr. Falcon." And at some other point, he was talking to I think the police chief or someone and I couldn't understand a single word. Not only did it not sound like Willis, but it didn't sound like English. It was like they tried to put in words that fit his mouth movements without considering meaning.

[quote name='d00k']I never watch movies on TV unless their completely uncut for some special reason (Saving Private Ryan on Veterans Day, for example.) I want the full experience.

But yeah, I've been noticing that cable is becoming more lenient when it comes to swearing lately. I think anytime after 11 o'clock is when they're allowed to say shit.[/quote]
The FCC had Saving Private Ryan removed from airing on ABC last year in a majority of US cities on Veterans Day because of vulgar and violence complaints. They ended up playing Hoosiers instead.

Has anyone else noticed that when station sensor the word "asshole" they bleep out the "hole" part and not "ass?" Obviously "ass" is ok to say on TV now, but I don't understand why "asshole" isn't. I've noticed "bitch" going uncensored almost all the time now, not that I really care I'm just surprised that there isn't some kind of uproar from a feminist group over it.

Next time the Matrix is on TBS, watch when Neo flips off Smith during the first part of the movie..."How about I give you the ""flipper"" and you give me my phone call?"

I laugh out loud every time I hear that shit.

[quote name='briansraregames']Next time the Matrix is on TBS, watch when Neo flips off Smith during the first part of the movie..."How about I give you the ""flipper"" and you give me my phone call?"

I laugh out loud every time I hear that shit.[/QUOTE]

yea and if you notice in that scene they zoom tighter so the finger isn't shown lol. Man if I ever get busted by the FBI, I am going to say that.......what are they going to do, tie me to the table and put something in my belly button? o.o

I remember nudity not being as big a deal back in the early 90s. I used to watch Revenge of the Nerds on TV whenever it was on, and they'd always show the part where all of the AB's moon the nerds, asses and all. That part gets cut now.

It's weird how that goes. Swear words are mostly okay now. Religious words are much less okay than they used to be. Same with partial nudity, but promiscuity is much more acceptable now than then.

Weird.

[quote name='lionheart4life']Has anyone else noticed that when station sensor the word "asshole" they bleep out the "hole" part and not "ass?" Obviously "ass" is ok to say on TV now, but I don't understand why "asshole" isn't. I've noticed "bitch" going uncensored almost all the time now, not that I really care I'm just surprised that there isn't some kind of uproar from a feminist group over it.[/quote]
Yeap. Referencing the whole ass is ok. Pointing out the brown eye raises a stink.

I've noticed that the radio is really editing the piss out of older songs.
Like "Everything Zen" by Bush. They're beeping out asshole brother.

They take out two whole lines in "Longview" by Greenday. They used to play "When masturbation's lost its fun|You're f*blip*king breaking." Now they removed the lyrics entirely.

Why were these songs ok for 10 years and now they need to be edited?

The best edits are on the super stations when they air Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Especially whenever Cameron curses

"I am not going to sit on my ... behind ... as the events that affect me unfold to determine the course of my life. I'm going to take a stand. I'm going to defend it. Right or wrong, I'm going to defend it."

Ya know what's interesting?

When Bush said shit, they played it on CNN.

But on Comedy Central, which airs the raunchiest shit you could ever imagine, bleeped it out (on the Daily Show). Same context, it was what Bush said during that meeting or whatever.

I thought it interesting that the "PG" network could say shit, but the borderline "R" network couldn't...

[quote name='Kayden']Yeap. Referencing the whole ass is ok. Pointing out the brown eye raises a stink.

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Well done.

I also noticed that in "Longview" and it makes no sense to me why they changed that now. If they need to sensor anything its the stupid little sexual songs that 12 year old girls listen to, not songs like "Longview" that people have heard a million times. Really, isn't masturbation a lot less harmful than smoking blunts and/or banging and running the train on drunk chicks, yet I still hear this referenced in songs just fine.

[quote name='rabbitt']I was going to say that exact thing. I wonder if they realize that they are censoring God...[/QUOTE]

They censor out "God" because that's the part that can get them in the biggest trouble, according to FCC guidelines you can make religious references only in the situation that they are used for religious purposes. Ex: 'Praise be to God' = A-okay. 'Jesus Christ!' = a swear.

Some people choose to let it slide, others don't. It's really the one you have to be most careful of because of all the religious zealots out there.

[quote name='Yoohoo1231']They censor out "God" because that's the part that can get them in the biggest trouble, according to FCC guidelines you can make religious references only in the situation that they are used for religious purposes. Ex: 'Praise be to God' = A-okay. 'Jesus Christ!' = a swear.

Some people choose to let it slide, others don't. It's really the one you have to be most careful of because of all the religious zealots out there.[/quote]

I still wonder how the Family Guy manages to get away with it.

[quote name='humidore']I like to use "mammerjammer" now instead of "motherfucker" (or, "muthafucka"), after seeing 'Me, Myself, and Irene' on cable.[/QUOTE]

oh yea Mammerjammer from that movie lol...... I think thats funnier then someone saying Mother fucker several times in a scene.

I do remember Revenge of the Nerds parts 1 and 2 having some naughty scenes.
There is a part in part two were someone says there VIP's and Boger says
"Very Intenses Penises" or something to that part.....now its like cut from all showings :(...

Also in part two when they are looking for a hotel there is one that the drive by and in the edited part the neon sign is like heavly blured... I think the nerds changed the sign later to say "Red hot sex" or something like that.

man I should just buy these two movies....i think they are still in print somewhere.

[quote name='Kayden']Close. The sign was red neon and said HOTEL ESSEX. They shorted it out so it said HOT SEX. :lol:[/QUOTE]

lol thats it.......... man i gotta buy these movies now...

[quote name='Vyrtigo']Nip/Tuck says shit all the time on F/X.

I also find it funny that often when someone says Goddamnit, God is the part that is censored.[/quote]

In addition to "shit", they do use the Lord's name in vain quite often in that show. They also show a lot of naked male ass.

Dazed and Confused was pretty heavily censored earlier this month on TBS. I was just laughing at some of the word subsitutions the station used.

bread's done
Back